Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RocktheCaulk posted:

70 frickin Zennibucks, although I'm now waiting to get a new pair of non defective lenses shipped back from somewhere in the Far East.

Aren't they like $30 a pair, tops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I got 2 pairs of prescription glasses made in China and paid like $40 total, 6 years later and the only damage to them is poo poo I did myself, they're solid as gently caress. I dunno what your problem is with Chinese-made glasses, maybe you should blame their administrative end in :laffo: San Francisco :laffo:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ordered a pair of glasses from Zenni. I put in my script wrong (I asked for 2.75 on each eye, I meant -2.75) and they gave me a 100% refund, minus shipping, even though it was totally my fault. All in all a p good experience.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ordered a pair of glasses from Zenni. I put in my script wrong (I asked for 2.75 on each eye, I meant -2.75) and they gave me a 100% refund, minus shipping, even though it was totally my fault. All in all a p good experience.

I did that with contact lenses and stupid Walgreens wouldn't let me return the ones I bought by accident :mad:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I got 2 pairs of prescription glasses made in China and paid like $40 total, 6 years later and the only damage to them is poo poo I did myself, they're solid as gently caress. I dunno what your problem is with Chinese-made glasses, maybe you should blame their administrative end in :laffo: San Francisco :laffo:

I went with a little more expensive frame and a nicer lense because at -7.00 if I don't I get literal coke bottle lenses. I am more pissed at the lovely response rates and times coming from "San Francisco", even though they shipped me defective lenses.

All I want is to be able to wake up at night and throw on my glasses so I don't step on the cat, mix the baby a bottle of flour instead of formula, and of course for if the apocalypse happens and I run out of contacts (won't happen, the 1800 contacts depot is in my city, and I'm looting that first). But NO zennioptical has turned this into a month long ordeal and won't even ship my glasses back priority mail or some poo poo. :smith:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have like 9 pairs of glasses from zenni. They rock. I just bought 3 like 2 weeks ago for 26$ total and that's with the AR coating. Also have some pretty dope shades from them too.

Edit: the free AR code was FREEAR. I don't know if it still works but give it a shot.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I have like 9 pairs of glasses from zenni. They rock. I just bought 3 like 2 weeks ago for 26$ total and that's with the AR coating. Also have some pretty dope shades from them too.

Edit: the free AR code was FREEAR. I don't know if it still works but give it a shot.

I'd give it a try now that I'm playing with STORE CREDIT, but based on my last experience the "AR" coating will just be someone at tech supports feces rubbed on the lenses.

*UPDATE* The code did work so thanks goon, saved me 5 store credit dollars!

Derpies fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 2, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

RocktheCaulk posted:

I am more pissed at the lovely response rates and times coming from "San Francisco",

lol if you do business with a company "headquartered in san francisco" and expect anything other than the absolute clumsiest behind-schedule corner-cutting poo poo with no QC

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only time I wear my glasses is in the morning before I put my contacts in or if I am really sick. I don't even remember how much I paid for them, but it was probably like $50 at CostCo. My contacts are about as cheap as possible, too, and also from CostCo.

I guess what I'm saying is go to CostCo, OP.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why don't you just get the lasers in the eyes and fix it permanently

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Moridin920 posted:

all that does is make you need reading glasses

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Afro posted:

lol @ all the gently caress-eyed goons ITT

i have a basic single vision script and have used zenni several times over the last few years with no problems

same. I've also ordered from Optical4Less (it's in like HK but there's some goon that posts in SA-MART with some minor discount) which is also pretty drat good--a little more expensive than Zenni but a little bit better quality so w/e. I usually get Zenni since shipping is a bit faster but either one has been good and I've been doing it for over 6 years with no problems.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I'm a Warby Parker man - I've got a set of regular glasses and their sunglasses, and both have lasted over three years in great condition, including the normal glasses getting the arm bent almost 90° and being reset just fine.

Their customer service is also on point; I forgot to expedite my order and when I called up and told them I needed glasses for work, they just said "Oh no problem, we'll fast-track those for you free of charge!" and I had them in 3 days.

smdh at trying to save a ton of cash on something that you wear to help you see.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 2, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RocktheCaulk posted:

70 frickin Zennibucks, although I'm now waiting to get a new pair of non defective lenses shipped back from somewhere in the Far East.

Aren't they like $30 a pair, tops?

I just bought five pairs, one tinted, for like $76 including shipping. How is it even possible to spend $70 on a single pair of Zenni glasses?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Why the hell do people wear glasses instead of contacts?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
because they're a stylish accessory that you can justify with your broken eyes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Afro posted:

because they're a stylish accessory that you can justify with your broken eyes

That's what cheap sunglasses are for.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I like the way they look on my face, and I get majorly grossed out by the concept of touching my eyes a lot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tumble posted:

I like the way they look on my face, and I get majorly grossed out by the concept of touching my eyes a lot.

Are you one of those people that has a hard time putting in Visine? Or are your eyes actually gross, like pustules or something?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

I just bought five pairs, one tinted, for like $76 including shipping. How is it even possible to spend $70 on a single pair of Zenni glasses?

Really really really lovely vision. So I buy a more expensive lense so I don't have a three inch thick plate of glass in front of my eyes.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Every girl wanna get finger banged by a cross eyed man

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
I've bought from them a ton and as long as you know your rx and have someone eyeball your pupilary distance it seems fine. I mean how can you complain about stuff that's stuff that's so dirt cheap - I would order an extra pair just in case and that's why I used it for so long cause I abuse my glasses. Yet this $20 black plastic frame I bought as a work pair has lasted a few years, and I actually wear them a lot because they're really comfortable.

I had one time where they got the Rx wrong and I had to send it back. It took like a month but it got there.

An addendum would be that I've bought from them since before there was a glasses department in every big store and you could really only go to a few places to get decent frames. For example, in my area, Lenscrafters was one of the few places to go. Basically you went in and found the frames you liked, then they would steal your wallet and rape you. With those frames, they had to last some time since they cost so much, and if I broke them I had to take them to jewlery shop since they have laser welding tools that can fuse a glasses frame precisely when it breaks in the middle. They don't look as pretty after that though.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The pair I just got from Zenni has a hairline distortion in the lens that gives everything a blurred and warped look at that area. Good thing their return policy is decent.
(Also I'm a loving moron who used a nearly 1 year old prescription so it's out of date and the glasses were making me puke after an hour)

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Acid Haze posted:

I've bought from them a ton and as long as you know your rx and have someone eyeball your pupilary distance it seems fine. I mean how can you complain about stuff that's stuff that's so dirt cheap - I would order an extra pair just in case and that's why I used it for so long cause I abuse my glasses. Yet this $20 black plastic frame I bought as a work pair has lasted a few years, and I actually wear them a lot because they're really comfortable.

I had one time where they got the Rx wrong and I had to send it back. It took like a month but it got there.

An addendum would be that I've bought from them since before there was a glasses department in every big store and you could really only go to a few places to get decent frames. For example, in my area, Lenscrafters was one of the few places to go. Basically you went in and found the frames you liked, then they would steal your wallet and rape you. With those frames, they had to last some time since they cost so much, and if I broke them I had to take them to jewlery shop since they have laser welding tools that can fuse a glasses frame precisely when it breaks in the middle. They don't look as pretty after that though.

For my prescription they have ended up not really saving me much money at all when you factor in the time waiting, returning them, and hassle of dealing with the customer service after they sent me faulty lenses. I'd have been less pissed if I didn't have to send their gently caress up back at my expense and then got even 2-3 day shipping back, but no I've gotta go through all their hoops. Should've just bought the same crappy plastic frame that will last forever and spent an extra ten bucks or so at Wal-Mart.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I smoke a lot of pot and it dries my eyes out so even daily disposables get uncomfortably dry by like 9-10PM most of the time. I'm also extremely nearsighted and would probably trip over my cat, fall down the stairs and kill myself walking to the bathroom at night without em

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

I guess, for me, the stupid poo poo they put you through when they gently caress up was worth it in the long run since I only had one bad purchase. As a person who has, at times, been scraping by on very little, cheap glasses were like a cheat code.

I haven't used them in a bit I guess so who knows. But for a while there they saved me a lot of money, I'm pretty sure.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I smoke a lot of pot and it dries my eyes out so even daily disposables get uncomfortably dry by like 9-10PM most of the time. I'm also extremely nearsighted and would probably trip over my cat, fall down the stairs and kill myself walking to the bathroom at night without em

Okay, that makes a certain amount of sense. I guess I'm also lucky to just be moderately nearsighted with a touch of presbyopia, so contacts work great for me. Uncorrected I have to sit uncomfortably close to my monitor, but am still functional at least.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Acid Haze posted:

I guess, for me, the stupid poo poo they put you through when they gently caress up was worth it in the long run since I only had one bad purchase. As a person who has, at times, been scraping by on very little, cheap glasses were like a cheat code.

I haven't used them in a bit I guess so who knows. But for a while there they saved me a lot of money, I'm pretty sure.

I'm in the same no expendable income boat, and figured saving 20 bucks was 20 bucks I can use towards saving for a new car/fixing my current one at the same time and buying baby formula. Now I'm just crotchety and realize that they aren't as good a deal as before when you'd have to go to lenscrafters and drop a few hundred bucks.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I have been using zenni optical since back when they were on arpanet, before they switched protocols in 1990.

Like 20 glasses ordered, sunglasses, librarian glasses, etc. All perfect.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

You mean a lot of anime.

must be true.ive never heard it and i dont watch anime. it makes me uneasy and pricky my rage centres. the generic term for money is actually moola anyway

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When you take them out while you sleep and wake up at 5 am to feed an infant or take a piss you don't put them back in for 20-30 minutes. Also it's nice the have a backup plan in case the apolocypse comes and 1-800 Contacts stops delivering.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Moridin920 posted:

I actually did the math (and I'm loving bad at math but whatever) and the cost of getting laser eye surgery is like what glasses or even contacts would cost for 50+ years. I don't plan on even living that long so what's the point?

This, if you smoke pot or drink alcohol you're going to get major dry eyes and hanging out with friends in social smoking/drinking situations means you're either going to have to suffer or throw your contacts away. And then you're effectively blind if you're really nearsighted like I am. And for the record, I have two-week disposables right now but I'm planning on making the switch back to glasses.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

RocktheCaulk posted:

...they aren't as good a deal as before when you'd have to go to lenscrafters and drop a few hundred bucks.

That's true, kind of makes me want to explore the market again and see what prices are like.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Zenni actually rules, one time after ordering from them previously I ordered another pair and put my prescription numbers in wrong and they sent me an email saying "hey these numbers are all messed up compared to your last pair are you sure you did this right?" and then they sent me the right prescription. Judging by the garbage person timezone in your post maybe it's you who is the problem OP

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Aralan posted:

Zenni actually rules, one time after ordering from them previously I ordered another pair and put my prescription numbers in wrong and they sent me an email saying "hey these numbers are all messed up compared to your last pair are you sure you did this right?" and then they sent me the right prescription. Judging by the garbage person timezone in your post maybe it's you who is the problem OP

Super that they worked out great for you! So glad to hear! I'd be happy too if that was the case but no they sent me ones they grabbed out of a donation box instead.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Except for the first pair I ordered that was too small because I didn't understand the sizing, and a pair of ugly sunglasses of my own creation, I've nothing but good results from Zenni. Once you understand the frame and lens sizes and how big your stupid head is, the ordering process is easy (thought slow).

My gripe is that they used to be cheap. The classes that would cost me $20 before now cost double because they're screwing with the frame prices and seemed to have gotten rid of the $9 and Under category.

OP, you just don't know how to order glasses.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

Except for the first pair I ordered that was too small because I didn't understand the sizing, and a pair of ugly sunglasses of my own creation, I've nothing but good results from Zenni. Once you understand the frame and lens sizes and how big your stupid head is, the ordering process is easy (thought slow).

My gripe is that they used to be cheap. The classes that would cost me $20 before now cost double because they're screwing with the frame prices and seemed to have gotten rid of the $9 and Under category.

OP, you just don't know how to order glasses.

I literally at this point wish that I did not know how to order glasses. Hopefully sometime in October when I finally get the new ones they will work and I will at least have a non contact lens option.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I actually did the math (and I'm loving bad at math but whatever) and the cost of getting laser eye surgery is like what glasses or even contacts would cost for 50+ years. I don't plan on even living that long so what's the point?

This, if you smoke pot or drink alcohol you're going to get major dry eyes and hanging out with friends in social smoking/drinking situations means you're either going to have to suffer or throw your contacts away. And then you're effectively blind if you're really nearsighted like I am. And for the record, I have two-week disposables right now but I'm planning on making the switch back to glasses.

FYI if your doctor tries to tell you dailies will feel less dry, I can tell you it makes zero difference and as soon as I run out I'm switching back to 2-weeks, the dailies are expensive as gently caress

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

i ordered a monocle online and they sent me two monocles fused together. useless

That's some Mitch Hedburg poo poo there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FYI if your doctor tries to tell you dailies will feel less dry, I can tell you it makes zero difference and as soon as I run out I'm switching back to 2-weeks, the dailies are expensive as gently caress

My contacts are cheap as hell and last me a good month or more (I think they are supposed to be monthly disposables). Biomedics UltraFlex II 55 is what I have now, as my old standard UltraFlex 40 stopped being carried by CostCo.

One thing that has improved my experience is using the hydrogen peroxide cleaner with them instead of multipurpose solution. I swear by the stuff - makes my contacts feel new for weeks at a time.

• Locked thread