Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Golly Gee I wonder if the ALP will support Turnbull's Newstart cuts while the current system shovels impaired people onto Newstart :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why do I depress myself? This is not Auspol. This is the Depression Megathread.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Recoome posted:

This point is actually really interesting, because I'd argue that it's definitely a responsibility for clinical psychologists (clinical is where I have the most exposure anyway, part of the job), and I'd even argue it's an ethical responsibility. What is the counter-argument to this?

There's a general trend away from unpaid work in general because of concerns about insurance, professional boundaries, and creating a culture of expectation (if one psych does it, government agencies might start expecting it of other psyches). Also, there's a broad feeling that clinical psychology should be concerned mainly with the process of therapy and that prognosis and expectation isn't something we're well trained in. For the purpose of our own internal assessment, developing an understanding of how much we can expect a client to improve with treatment is fine but when we start commenting on that fact in external reports, it begs the question of whether we're truly qualified to assess that since prognostic assessment isn't really part of our formal training. But some also don't want to wade into that territory due to professional liability concerns; like I said, it's unpaid work and if an assessing GP or psychiatrist decides to take issue with your report, now you're being put in a position where you have to defend yourself for an action that you were performing as an act of charity in the first place which can erode your professional reputation and credibility.

I've taken a more haphazard and belligerent approach to my practice because I'm completing my medical degree next year and any burned bridges I leave behind in psychology likely won't hold me back. Consequently, I write a lot of reports to support DSP applications, coach people through the process of appeals and even call assessing GPs on their behalf to consult with them on their own reports to give my clients the best chance they have for their application. To date, I haven't encountered any liability concerns so it's likely that other professionals are just being overcautious.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Serrath posted:

There's a general trend away from unpaid work in general because of concerns about insurance, professional boundaries, and creating a culture of expectation (if one psych does it, government agencies might start expecting it of other psyches). Also, there's a broad feeling that clinical psychology should be concerned mainly with the process of therapy and that prognosis and expectation isn't something we're well trained in. For the purpose of our own internal assessment, developing an understanding of how much we can expect a client to improve with treatment is fine but when we start commenting on that fact in external reports, it begs the question of whether we're truly qualified to assess that since prognostic assessment isn't really part of our formal training. But some also don't want to wade into that territory due to professional liability concerns; like I said, it's unpaid work and if an assessing GP or psychiatrist decides to take issue with your report, now you're being put in a position where you have to defend yourself for an action that you were performing as an act of charity in the first place which can erode your professional reputation and credibility.

I've taken a more haphazard and belligerent approach to my practice because I'm completing my medical degree next year and any burned bridges I leave behind in psychology likely won't hold me back. Consequently, I write a lot of reports to support DSP applications, coach people through the process of appeals and even call assessing GPs on their behalf to consult with them on their own reports to give my clients the best chance they have for their application. To date, I haven't encountered any liability concerns so it's likely that other professionals are just being overcautious.

That's really super interesting, I'll stop derailing with my psych questions now!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

https://pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/the-australian-blames-triple-j-for-bloody-ruining-/49ff9fe2-2f75-4c29-aca5-94aee69efcf8.htm

Waa Waa triple j has taken over the ABC with cultural Marxism, why does noone buy papers any more whines The Australian.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
In the case of the Australian; no one has ever bought it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I remember when I thought Triple J played alternative music too. Must be pretty underground if you have to go to the alternative rack in Sanity to buy it.

Also lol at Roy and HG being radicals.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

THOSE CLOWNS IN CONGRESS

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Why do I depress myself? This is not Auspol. This is the Depression Megathread.

imagine being australian. wow

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

imagine being australian. wow

We're Australian so you don't have to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what have I done

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SynthOrange posted:

what have I done

You have chosen..poorly.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
This is how you know refugees fleeing to Australia are legit, because its the worst.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Kommando posted:

https://pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/the-australian-blames-triple-j-for-bloody-ruining-/49ff9fe2-2f75-4c29-aca5-94aee69efcf8.htm

Waa Waa triple j has taken over the ABC with cultural Marxism, why does noone buy papers any more whines The Australian.

A paper nobody reads blames a radio station nobody listens to about the decline of a country nobody cares about.

I can't imagine a world where one would perceive the QandA guy and Dr Karl as radical. The latter's crowning achievement was discovering the composition of lint because nobody had thought to check before. But I guess he wears a loud shirt which everyone knows that means he's a crypto-Trotskyite.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

You have chosen..poorly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Frogfingers posted:

I can't imagine a world where one would perceive the QandA guy and Dr Karl as radical. The latter's crowning achievement was discovering the composition of lint because nobody had thought to check before. But I guess he wears a loud shirt which everyone knows that means he's a crypto-Trotskyite.

His whole thing is making science and education fun, which is a pretty laudable thing, and I remember having and liking some of his books growing up. I didn't know he discovered the composition of lint, but that's honestly a pretty nice little claim to fame.

Science and facts are, of course, extremely radical to people working at The Australian.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

His other claim to fame was completely blowing his reputation doing the ad spots for Abbott's intergenerational report. :(

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

His whole thing is making science and education fun, which is a pretty laudable thing, and I remember having and liking some of his books growing up. I didn't know he discovered the composition of lint, but that's honestly a pretty nice little claim to fame.

Science and facts are, of course, extremely radical to people working at The Australian.

Well yeah, they don't give an iambic fuckameter what his deal is. He works for the ABC strike 1 and he's a guy with doctor in front of his name who isn't a geologist strike 2 and he doesn't dress like he's prepared for the rapture strike 3. No wonder his name is dogshit to the Murdoch right.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Just my take, and I know it's my personal opinion and I hope I don't tread on any toes with it, but Chris Mitchell is a tosser.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

For me the issue was crystallised by my friend Chris Kenny.

Chris Mitchell, The Australian, September 5, 2016

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

quote:

For me the issue was crystallised by my friend Chris Kenny.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

I wish they'd stop pursuing their rightist agenda of cultural fascism.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
imagine being the australian. wow.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Turns out the CFA were explicitly pursuing an anti Union agenda after all

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/firefighter-stoush-secret-report-for-cfa-reveals-antiunion-ambitions-20160905-gr9dtc.html

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

His other claim to fame was completely blowing his reputation doing the ad spots for Abbott's intergenerational report. :(

TBF he said he was mislead about the contents.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nibbles! posted:

Yeah but the damage is done.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Frogfingers posted:

The latter's crowning achievement was discovering the composition of lint because nobody had thought to check before.

Yeah Dr Karl is so much more than this.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Who would have thought! :monocle:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Nibbles! posted:

Who could have predicted that something driven by Tony Abbott was an anti science anti evidence crock of poo poo

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

It helps explains Labor's attitude. They must have been furious and decided it was time to kick those liberal lackeys out.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Tony Abbott is visiting my old hometown and surrounding Aboriginal communities, local paper is scanty with details but they do have a photo of him trying to be down with the country kids. I'm sure people will love him and have forgotten all about him pushing to close remote communities and cutting essential community services.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
But he's got a new hat

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Cartoon, you're great at national politics, but if you are a "Chinese Century!!!" guy, you need to stop reading CCP propaganda.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Sanguine posted:

imagine being the australian. wow.

Xerxes17 posted:

Cartoon, you're great at national politics, but if you are a "Chinese Century!!!" guy, you need to stop reading CCP propaganda.

Well it's certainly not The Australian century.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Xerxes17 posted:

It's inevitable, we need to get in on the ground floor

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ten Becquerels posted:

Tony Abbott is visiting my old hometown and surrounding Aboriginal communities, local paper is scanty with details but they do have a photo of him trying to be down with the country kids. I'm sure people will love him and have forgotten all about him pushing to close remote communities and cutting essential community services.

well, he did such a great job as Minister for Dark Browns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

• Locked thread