Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

It kind of makes sense for them to stay in a holding pattern for iPhones this year. Next year is the tenth anniversary of the iPhone and they can release the dopest one anyone's ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Weedle posted:

they can release the dopest one anyone's ever seen.

Or, you know, just one that's a little thinner, a little faster and with only incremental improvement to the rest of the product.

But the anniversary packaging will probably be exceptional. That might be enough for some folks.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Or, you know, just one that's a little thinner, a little faster and with only incremental improvement to the rest of the product.

But the anniversary packaging will probably be exceptional. That might be enough for some folks.

Shh. I can dream.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I just wanna see those loving Airpods :(

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I'm still on an iPhone 4, so I hope there'll be something nice to upgrade to.

Unfortunately, it seems like the camera wart is here to stay, so I'm still not sure if I'm willing to part with that much money for something so ugly.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Sucks that the current rumor is no wireless headphones in the box. Instead the rumor says it will be a wired lightning pair.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Currently on a busted up 5S with cracks and a mediocre battery. I'm mostly excited for 256GB of storage (I'm currently juggling 32GB) to janitor my mp3 collection onto the thing, being out of cell range enough that cloud based music options don't do anything for me. Not really thrilled to have to put a dongle on the end multiple pairs of headphones to listen to said music. No, I'm not going to charge my goddamn headphones all the time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If the rumours are true and the 128GB is the middle storage size, I'm hoping that means that - if the usual trend of pricing being approximately the same as the year before holds up - then I can make a bit of a saving by sticking with 128GB and no longer paying for the most expensive model for the amount of storage I want.

Sue posted:

I can't even imagine still using a 4 for modern apps and multi-tasking etc. Even if you just bought a 6/6S right now you'd have a huge leap.

Sue posted:

Unfortunately, it seems like the camera wart is here to stay, so I'm still not sure if I'm willing to part with that much money for something so ugly.
My workaround for this is to mostly look at the front of the phone where the screen is. Can't vouch for others but it works for me! v:shobon:v

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 7, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Sue posted:

Literally anything in the iPhone lineup would be an improvement for you right now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So is ios 10 out after the show?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Siri doesn't like my accent so I pretty much never use it. About nine times out of ten when I try, it takes me so long telling it "no, change the reminder message" that I'd have been quicker just typing it up in the first place. Anything Siri-related is basically a non-existent feature for me.

"Be ye disabling of yon shield-uh!"

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think it's known yet. IIRC iOS 9 got released a week or two after the iPhone announcement last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same deal here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The GM seed is usually posted that day and doesn't require any provisioning to install. If you can find the .ipsw you can install it. The OTA usually comes out a few days later.

Note that there have been rare occasions when the build has changed between GM seed and OTA so you might need to reupdate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ChadSexington posted:

I don't think it's known yet. IIRC iOS 9 got released a week or two after the iPhone announcement last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same deal here.

Standardish practice has been announce on day, release 3 days before the new devices ship.

So like, announce today, phones ship on a Friday 2 weeks from now, iOS 10 releases the Wednesday prior.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Michael Scott posted:

Sucks that the current rumor is no wireless headphones in the box. Instead the rumor says it will be a wired lightning pair.

That seems nuts to me. Why draw attention to the worst part about this change (headphones that only work on one device)

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
This is my first rodeo into the iPhone launch stuff, coming from Android. When do the preorders start in relation to today's announcement?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

prom candy posted:

That seems nuts to me. Why draw attention to the worst part about this change (headphones that only work on one device)

The fact that you can't charge and listen at the same time seems to be the worst part of lightning headphones.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

This is my first rodeo into the iPhone launch stuff, coming from Android. When do the preorders start in relation to today's announcement?
Usually Friday

Sure wish we had a FAQ in the OP, but people would ignore it anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

The fact that you can't charge and listen at the same time seems to be the worst part of lightning headphones.

Lightning y cable coming soon from some cheap Chinese company

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

prom candy posted:

Yeah. What the gently caress.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Obvious wireless charging

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I like how the live stream page is "gently caress you, should have been using an Apple device to watch this or use Edge on Windows 10 which no one does. Also suck it Chrome."

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Usually Friday

Sure wish we had a FAQ in the OP, but people would ignore it anyway.
Added some quotes to the OP

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Did apple fire the highschool-level production team that flopped badly with overlapping audio and signal drop outs from three or four events ago? I hope not. It was wonderful to watch a billion dollars of R&D get reduced to the level of mic feedback and tripped over backstage cabling.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Somethingsomething we're really excited to show you, awkward app demo, Ive video, badphone, worse watch. We think you're gonna love it. Roll credits.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I would like a new iPod classic please

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Holding out hope that the 6SS or whatever will still have a headphone jack, because it'd be hilarious and also we would then live in a world where there are news articles about a phone having a headphone jack.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BGrifter posted:

Somethingsomething we're really excited to show you, awkward app demo, Ive video, badphone, worse watch. We think you're gonna love it. Roll credits.

And One More Thing, we're bringing back the StyleWriter so you cant print on high quality beechwood Apple paper using Jony Ive's personally chosen gamut of inks.

Its going to happen at some point, once margins start to dip.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd be surprised if they roll out Ive. Judging by the design developments in the iPhone department lately I wouldn't be surprised if he was dead

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Well Amazon had cases live for a minute or two.
Spoilers, I guess?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Maybe it'll start off with another self-mocking video starring the usual numerous hipster tentpole actors moaning about how they have to buy new phones.

That tile is an existing prodct, saw something like it at MicroCenter for months.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
this thing is pretty sweet ->

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Bum the Sad posted:

this thing is pretty sweet ->

Haha next legendary in the upcoming Pokemon game.

Really interested like everyone else how Apple is going to spin removal of the headphone jack.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Vintimus Prime posted:

Haha next legendary in the upcoming Pokemon game.

Really interested like everyone else how Apple is going to spin removal of the headphone jack.

If it's waterproof rated that's how.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

"We have done what only Apple can do, and have reduced the headphone jack by an astonishing 100%. This is the first phone to reach a complete reduction of unnecessary ports."

-probably Jony Ive at some point today

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

If it's waterproof rated that's how.

I mean I've never dropped my phone in water but I guess it could be nice to not have to worry as much about it. I'm going to London in like November and being able to take pictures in the rain would be pretty cool.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Not going to miss the headphone port. I've been using bluetooth headphones forever. Sorry.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sitting this one out. Have fun folks!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hold up, slashdot says Apple users are sheeple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
jumpman jumpman jumpman jumpman jumpman jumpman

• Locked thread