Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onlypaidforscatpix
Sep 2, 2016
"meh".

if all you have on someone in a presidential election is poor data security practices, it's gonna be a bad election for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

onlypaidforscatpix posted:

"meh".

if all you have on someone in a presidential election is poor data security practices, it's gonna be a bad election for you.

Thx for your hot take. 5 cents has been deposited on your Panera gift card!

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

onlypaidforscatpix posted:

"meh".

True. As the NSA proved to Europe, it doesn't matter how strong a chief executive's email protection is. That poo poo is getting hacked.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Glad to hear the arcana of American security rules and regulations are a big hit abroad.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Must be a cushy job to be spokesperson for the entirety of Non-america.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Must be a cushy job to be spokesperson for the entirety of Non-america.

Where do I apply

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
as a not american i completely agree, who cares

shillary's email security is probably still better than that of 90% of our government

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

People who care don't think that the leaking of the emails is so much a scandal in itself, but that now someone will inevitably find the chain of emails where she orders the death of private Ben Ghazi.

e:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 3, 2016

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Hillary is the not-Trump candidate, right?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's a thing that for any other State Department employee would end their career, result in the loss of their security clearance, and likely result in jail time. The disappointing bit is that this is a gigantic, flashing "THE RULES DO NOT APPLY TO RICH PEOPLE" sign that'll get ignored by a full half of the country and harped about with zero actual action by the other half because partisan politics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Warbadger posted:

It's a thing that for any other State Department employee would end their career, result in the loss of their security clearance, and likely result in jail time. The disappointing bit is that this is a gigantic, flashing "THE RULES DO NOT APPLY TO RICH PEOPLE" sign that'll get ignored by a full half of the country and harped about with zero actual action by the other half because partisan politics.

Maybe we should reform the State Department rules instead, specifically the ones about using lovely internet security.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Hillary Clinton is the one that got arrested for having a 'blow job' in the nineties, right?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
She has a shockingly hard time telling the truth, is a problem.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Infidelity can get your security clearance pulled.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Warbadger posted:

It's a thing that for any other State Department employee would end their career, result in the loss of their security clearance, and likely result in jail time.

The bolded part is patently untrue.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A reminder of how incompetent our own politicans are at data security.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Periodiko posted:

And honestly so is the rest of it. Most security clearance regulations are hilariously unrealistic given the workloads of people working in many of those kinds of positions. Its pretty much an unspoken rule that it all gets ignored as long as you don't do anything too stupid. A lowly peon who did this probably wouldn't even draw criticism from his higher ups as long as it was just that. People who view our governments security as this vast, unassailable, tightly controlled program are dumb.

James Bond and the Bourne Whatevers are movies, don't confuse the way that poo poo is depicted with real life. Even Burn After Reading gives our security apparatus too much credit.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

She has a shockingly hard time telling the truth, is a problem.

Hillary Clinton isn't exactly the most truthful person ever but I think she's probably the most believable out of literally any of the major players out of this election

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Hillary Clinton isn't exactly the most truthful person ever but I think she's probably the most believable out of literally any of the major players out of this election

Yeah. When the choice is between Donald "I'm too incoherent to be capable of lying, also more money for me and gently caress you" Trump and power hungry Shillary, then it's Shillary every day.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh even though he's incoherent donald trump still manages to lie almost every single time he opens his mouth. Like there's saying "you shouldn't say it's ok for your candidate to do it just because mine does it" and then there's "your candidate does nothing but provably lie with every sentence he produces"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Trump never knows if he means something he says or not at any given moment, so it is impossible for him to lie. This of course also means that it's impossible for him to tell the truth, because he doesn't know what that is.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't appreciate the implication that Robert Morrow isn't a major player in this election.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
It's funny how so many of the republicans who decry Hillary as corrupt and power hungry to the point of murdering her political opponents also have a weird boner for Putin.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Schizotek posted:

And honestly so is the rest of it. Most security clearance regulations are hilariously unrealistic given the workloads of people working in many of those kinds of positions. Its pretty much an unspoken rule that it all gets ignored as long as you don't do anything too stupid. A lowly peon who did this probably wouldn't even draw criticism from his higher ups as long as it was just that. People who view our governments security as this vast, unassailable, tightly controlled program are dumb.

James Bond and the Bourne Whatevers are movies, don't confuse the way that poo poo is depicted with real life. Even Burn After Reading gives our security apparatus too much credit.

While you are correct that life is not a Hollywood spy movie, you also very clearly don't know what you're talking about. If you're talking from actual experience and have also worked with the DoS for any length of time I'd be shocked if you hadn't seen people losing clearances for mishandling classified materials - even loving up a few times with bog standard PII can result in a lost clearance and thus get you canned. There's a reason for the burgeoning clearance-related legal field in the DC-Metro area.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...19b1_story.html

Periodiko posted:

Given the specific case of willfully avoiding the secure and internally audited system to pass all work related correspondence including a bunch of Classified stuff across a personal system for an extended amount of time because ~it's easier~ I wouldn't entirely rule jail time out had this been some random middle manager or whatever.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 3, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Periodiko posted:

While that is one possible interpretation, people are much less willing to indulge the convenient fiction that setting up a private server and storing a bunch of classified on it was just a big misunderstanding, that you were advised by your (unindicted) subordinates that it was OK, that you were confused by the classification headings, that none of this constituted a deliberate attempt to evade government rules, when you aren't a senior administration official and party power player.

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
Wasn't she just continuing the status quo established by her predecessor at State?

~non-American spokesperson for Caribbean Nations Terrified of Trump

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

Trump never knows if he means something he says or not at any given moment, so it is impossible for him to lie. This of course also means that it's impossible for him to tell the truth, because he doesn't know what that is.

There's a difference between knowing and caring. Trump doesn't give a poo poo about any stance at all unless it effects his image or bottom line. I'm sure he's aware he's lying at least some of the time, considering he'll do poo poo like blatantly lie about him and Pena a day after they talked. He knew not to push the wall payment during the meeting and he knew he was lying the next day about it. It just doesn't matter to him cause he holds no real positions at all other than "aknowledge me"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dead Reckoning posted:

While that is one possible interpretation, people are much less willing to indulge the convenient fiction that setting up a private server and storing a bunch of classified on it was just a big misunderstanding, that you were advised by your (unindicted) subordinates that it was OK, that you were confused by the classification headings, that none of this constituted a deliberate attempt to evade government rules, when you aren't a senior administration official and party power player.

Hrm, guess the FBI is smarter than you and those people.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm so scandal-fatigued on Clinton that I immediately disbelieve any accusation against her. What has she actually lied about to be considered "not exactly the most truthful person ever"?

I'm not defending her: honestly curious if there's a reason people say these things beyond "if there's smoke there's fire!"

Edit: I changed my mind, I am defending her. I'm not convinced she's done anything that makes her shadier than any other politician. She's held to an incredibly high standard and nothing has stuck. I'd love to learn about actual dishonesty from her, though.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 4, 2016

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Can we get a non-american opinion of hilary's pantsuits?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Lots of Americans actually want Trump to win but they are bitch pussies and won't admit it because they know it is shameful, so they make up idiotic storms in teacups instead to assuage the lagging realisation that they are wearing the horns.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the right wing has spent 25 years calling hillary clinton a criminal which now in the present day overrides the common sense vacant truism 'where there's smoke, there's fire' by basically generating a giant amount of smoke

i remember learning anti hillary slogans on the playground in elementary school, as kids would repeat what their parents said. republicans hate a strong woman, big whoop

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

smg77 posted:

Can we get a non-american opinion of hilary's pantsuits?
She's got nothing on Merkel.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the right wing has spent 25 years calling hillary clinton a criminal which now in the present day overrides the common sense vacant truism 'where there's smoke, there's fire' by basically generating a giant amount of smoke

i remember learning anti hillary slogans on the playground in elementary school, as kids would repeat what their parents said. republicans hate a strong woman, big whoop
What hosed-up place do you come from that kids on playgrounds regurgitate political talking points from a foreign country?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What hosed-up place do you come from that kids on playgrounds regurgitate political talking points from a foreign country?

america

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Its ok if you're connected ok?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I saw a Hillary the other day. Horrible creatures!

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
I' support Clinton but I wish she'd handed over the server and come clean about everything in a press conference before this turned into a major talking point. It would have blown over and by now the public, with its goldfish-like memory, would have moved on to other scandals. The press response has not been fair or proportionate but that is entirely predictable.

However, the "Clinton is dishonest" narrative that is being sold is ridiculous; her opponent is a pathological liar. If the press gave as much press to each lie that either candidate made, we'd only be hearing about Trump. When all is said and done, she is a highly competent public servant who was part of the administration that killed Osama bin Laden. If he had been killed by a Republican administration that's all we'd ever hear about.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm so scandal-fatigued on Clinton that I immediately disbelieve any accusation against her. What has she actually lied about to be considered "not exactly the most truthful person ever"?

I'm not defending her: honestly curious if there's a reason people say these things beyond "if there's smoke there's fire!"

Edit: I changed my mind, I am defending her. I'm not convinced she's done anything that makes her shadier than any other politician. She's held to an incredibly high standard and nothing has stuck. I'd love to learn about actual dishonesty from her, though.

Low-effort answer: http://www.politifact.com/personalities/hillary-clinton/statements/byruling/false/

More serious answer: "shadier than any other politician" is an incredibly low standard. She's certainly more honest than Trump; that doesn't make her "the most truthful person ever."

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

People who care don't think that the leaking of the emails is so much a scandal in itself, but that now someone will inevitably find the chain of emails where she orders the death of private Ben Ghazi.

e:

Clearly a fake Ramirez. Nothing's labeled "DEBT".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

You should mark your posts "American Opinion", to help the OP find out the "non-american opinion of hilary's email "scandal" " without getting it mixed up with American opinions.

• Locked thread