Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

SWG is dead, long live SWG. Five years after SOE finally gave up on Star Wars Galaxies several thousand people still seem to be obsessed with this game. In fact for a dead MMO it is surprisingly not dead. There are several thriving communities out there in which one can still play SWG right now. Some of them are good, some of them are not.

Never played and have no idea what SWG is? Well I can explain. It's a bit convoluted and long-winded, but here we go!

Star Wars Galaxies is not your conventional modern day themepark Massively multiplayer game. It was in every sense a living, breathing virtual Star Wars universe to live and to play in. As a game it delivered an experience that has not been replicated by anything since. There have been more than one spiritual successor that has tried to fill the gap. The Repopulation, Divergence, etc.

Does living in the Star Wars universe sound good? Well before you dive in, there are a few options you should explore, both with unique features and caveats that may influence your choice.

Pre-Combat Upgrade Version: SWGEmu based Servers

Features
  • 32+ Professions
  • Jedi are an unlockable alpha class

Cons
  • Many Combat Classes are essentially broken.
  • Combat is queued and completely automatable
  • Three separate damage pools, PvP combat tends to favor any profession with mind pool attacks leaving a very limited list of what is effective.

Where to Play?
http://www.swgemu.com SWGEmu's Basilisk Server - a Vanilla and untouched Pre-CU game with no modifications
http://www.bloodfin.net Bloodfin Emu - a Pre-CU+ Server with additional content, active admins (sometimes too active) and a semi large playerbase.

There are many other servers, but these are the only two of note in this category as the others are very low population, gimmicky and not worth a Goon's time.

NGE / New Game Experience Servers: Leaked SOE Source Code Projects

Features
  • 9 "Iconic" Professions
  • Jedi are a starter class
  • Fast paced combat
  • Working "Jump to Lightspeed" Space Flight
  • Lots of playable content.

Cons
  • No freedom of choice with your character's class
  • Default controls require you to have 3 arms to play efficiently.
  • PvP combat can almost totally be decided by how many buffs a player has.

Where to Play
http://www.stellabellum.net - Stella Bellum - an NGE Project that is still in testing but is run by competent people.
https://www.swglegends.com - SWG Legends - an NGE Project that has a pseudo live server, but is run by terrible human beings.

Featured Project In-Depth Descriptions:

Bloodfin Emu http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788908&pagenumber=1#post463858330

Chat Now with Real Goons about Star Wars Galaxies

https://discord.gg/AkcVFAX

Levarris fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
This post contained a detailed Description of "Darklight SWG" a project I ran. I have since removed it since it's useless info now.

Our beta saw very little interest and extremely few account creations. We decided to kill it giving me more time to do normal things not involving wasting my time developing for a game that's been dead for 5 years.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 12, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Looking forward to Darklight. Had fun with it last time I played.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Bloodfin Emu: Taken from Old Bloodfin Thread (outdated, no goons here anymore) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674946

Given the increasing number of goons coming to this server over Basilisk I thought a separate thread to be in order. So here we have it, Star Wars Galaxies. The decade old game that a bunch of hardliners simply can't seem to get over. Why play a dead game? Well for one there are over 30 professions to choose from, and no game has ever captured the sandbox feel that SWG did. You might be saying, well I've played on SWGEmu's Basilisk Server, how is this any different? I am glad you asked that hypothetical question that I told you that you were asking. Allow me to show you some of the things that await you.

Working Jedi and FRS System

This is fairly self explanatory. We have a unique unlocking system in place and you can go all the way up into the Force Ranking System. A guide on how unlocking is achieved will be provided below in the thread.

Enhanced Player Bounty System

Bounties, they aren't just for Jedi anymore. Any player deathblown by another in PvP is given the ability to be a sniveling little toad and place a bounty on the head of the person who killed him. Fun for all involved.

NGE Era Housing

Available new structures include:
  • Mustafarian Bunker
  • Sith Meditation Room
  • Jedi Meditation Room
  • Yoda's House
  • AT-AT House
  • Hangar
  • Garage
  • Bespin Cloud House
  • Windowed Houses
  • Bath House
  • & More

As if there weren't enough ways to live in SWG as it was in Pre-CU, now you have more.

NGE Era Speeders / Pod Racers

Available new vehicles include:
  • Barc Speeder
  • Imperial Command BARC
  • Rebel Command BARC
  • Desert Skiff
  • Lava Skiff
  • v35 Landspeeder
  • xp38 Landspeeder
  • ab1 Landspeeder
  • Several Pod Racer Models

Several of these vehicles, namely the Pod Racers travel much faster than swoops.

New Loot

- A very wide variety of new loot items are available in both new content dungeons, and in the new Planets.

New Planets

A first for any SWG Emulator, two new custom planets built from the ground up. Well, one of them anyway. Hoth is based on taanab which was in the client files since beta. Dromund Kaas however is completely built from the ground up through the painstaking efforts of myself and a few small contributions from within the SWG modding community.

Both planets are packed to the brim with new content, loot, things to kill, stuff to do.

Spaceships that fly in Space
Jump to Lightspeed is currently in development with an ETA before the end of this year, give or take a month or two.

Developers not afraid to shake up the Status Quo

Bloodfin looks at Pre-CU SWG as an extremely imperfect system, and yet at the same time a good one. They aren't afraid to change certain small little things that really need changed such as adding an Appearance Tab so people don't all look like composite armor drones, or placing a more convenient cantina right in front of the Coronet Starport.

Okay, You sold me, How do I play?
  • First, have a "legally" obtained copy of Star Wars Galaxies.
  • Second, download the latest Bloodfin Installer.
  • Auto registration is on the game server itself and completely separate from the bloodfin.net pubbie forums. Just download the installers then launch your client. The server will auto create whatever username and password you enter.
  • Donate to the server if you like it

Required Install Files

Main Install Package
http://www.bloodfin.net/patch/launcher_setup.exe

Levarris fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 5, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Beta starts in 6 days!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I remember playing beta for this game, hanging outside some green grassy metropolis as a Wookie droid engineer with other goons. I don't think I ever made a droid. His name was Blooto. That's my story.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Same.

I'd play again on a server that's not run by crazy people demanding people worship them.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

Same.

I'd play again on a server that's not run by crazy people demanding people worship them.

I'm trying to figure out which one in particular you mean but there's been too many of them.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

I'm trying to figure out which one in particular you mean but there's been too many of them.

Obviously bloodfin. Also you won't ever see GMs on our server. Our policy demands them to be invisible and only online when responding to support tickets. Deviation from that will be swiftly and severely dealt with.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah I meant bloodfin where the admins ran around shouting that people praise them as the queen of bloodfin. What a crazy rear end in a top hat.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

randombattle posted:

Yeah I meant bloodfin where the admins ran around shouting that people praise them as the queen of bloodfin. What a crazy rear end in a top hat.

Definitely won't be happening on Darklight. Our GMs are allowed to log in on a GM character only in response to a ticket, interact only with the creator of the ticket and nothing else. Any deviation from that would involve their immediate dismissal and probably loss of their play account.

I won't even be able to log into my Dev character unless for a scheduled live event, or if something is so damned broken that a ticket gets escalated up to a dev to fix.

This policy is in place because I don't want to deal with the pubbie community unless absolutely necessary. I will have a play character and play the poo poo out of this when we release. However that character will most likely only be known to my fellow goons lest I get bugged by people when I am just trying to play the game.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Can you just rename this the Darklight thread? I'm fairly certain no other goon actually gives a poo poo about any of the other servers. Also how many features are left to implement for Darklight?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Is there no way to get Jump to Lightspeed without going to a CU/NGE server?

Because that'd be what I'm interested in in a SWG server.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SweetBro posted:

Can you just rename this the Darklight thread? I'm fairly certain no other goon actually gives a poo poo about any of the other servers. Also how many features are left to implement for Darklight?

Probably not, but it leaves the thread open to all forms of SWG discussion too this way. Implementation, none. Some balance tweaks need to be ironed out which will come about during the month long beta. After which it's just more content rollouts post-release which we will be adding.

Airspace posted:

Is there no way to get Jump to Lightspeed without going to a CU/NGE server?

Because that'd be what I'm interested in in a SWG server.

Eventually, yes. There is some rudimentary JTL stuff already in the code for core3, the problem with it is it's very, very incomplete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OH7EuGAf4g

This video shows just what core3 currently has for JTL. It's pretty bad. I will however fully integrate JTL when it reaches a suitable level of development.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 6, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Darklight Beta is now live. There will be a mass PvP test on Saturday, Sept 10th at 8:00pm EST. Hope to see a good turnout for the best balance feedback possible.

http://www.darklightswg.com/forum/index.php?/page/install_darklight_swg.html

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So, darklight looks pretty cool. I never played the original swg, would I need a copy of it like bloodfin says? Or is swgemu the actual game client I need?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Elblanco posted:

So, darklight looks pretty cool. I never played the original swg, would I need a copy of it like bloodfin says? Or is swgemu the actual game client I need?

You need a copy of the game then SWGEmu downloads on top of that installation.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Elblanco posted:

Yeah, to keep our legally dubious project from being more legally dubious we aren't distributing the full game client, only our modifications.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Levarris posted:

Yeah, to keep our legally dubious project from being more legally dubious we aren't distributing the full game client, only our modifications.

Understandable, well, I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy somewhere in the future. I'd love to try this, but I'm not entirely sure I want to spend $40+ on the game discs, since I've never actually play SWG before.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Shotgun not running the guild. Hans, Drone, 2DCAT or Firewhizzle, its all on you boys

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Elblanco posted:

Understandable, well, I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy somewhere in the future. I'd love to try this, but I'm not entirely sure I want to spend $40+ on the game discs, since I've never actually play SWG before.

There are "alternative methods" to acquiring the game client. If you can stomach looking at reddit for more than 30 seconds that is. On the right side of /r/swg there is a link.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Levarris posted:

Darklight Beta is now live. There will be a mass PvP test on Saturday, Sept 10th at 8:00pm EST. Hope to see a good turnout for the best balance feedback possible.

http://www.darklightswg.com/forum/index.php?/page/install_darklight_swg.html

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Installing now.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

kaempfer0080 posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Installing now.

Unfortunately, Darklight is dead. We pulled the plug because there was no where near enough interest to warrant continuing.

I do however have my eyes on a project called "Stella Bellum" They have a nearly fully functional NGE server that is almost ready to go live. I will probably play there.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

See you in three months when start you another server to abandon it a few months later. You have a lot of great ideas and talent. Just sucks the SWG community isn't big enough to support one or two servers.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

jabro posted:

See you in three months when start you another server to abandon it a few months later. You have a lot of great ideas and talent. Just sucks the SWG community isn't big enough to support one or two servers.

At this point that's not gonna happen. I will probably end up playing on Stella Bellum, it might be NGE but it will be 100% complete. JTL included.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
You gave up on the server within days of launching Beta?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Haha what the gently caress

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This thread just 180d into the most incredible goonproject.txt I've ever read

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
G o o d j o b !

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mods please goldmine

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Kortel posted:

You gave up on the server within days of launching Beta?

Pretty much, though the decision wasn't mine alone. To top it off I really didn't want to deal with running a game server. It's not fun and like a 24/7 job that I am always on call for and don't get paid to do.

On an alternative note I'll write out a detailed description of "Stella Bellum" when they put a live server up.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Levarris posted:

I really didn't want to deal with running a game server.

:crossarms:

EDIT: Is there a way to emu this thread to before the second post was edited.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 14, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I think the thread title needs to be changed because the part about people still playing it seems to be an incorrect advertisement.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Star Wars Galaxies: People still play this? (Pfft, apparently not)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Levarris posted:

Our beta saw very little interest and extremely few account creations. We decided to kill it giving me more time to do normal things not involving wasting my time developing for a game that's been dead for 5 years.

A sensible decision.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

I think the thread title needs to be changed because the part about people still playing it seems to be an incorrect advertisement.

People play. Just not enough across Bloodfin/Legends/Nova/whatever else there is to support a whole new server. Problem with SWG is that it's split between the versions people most prefer. Vanilla Pre-CU, modded Pre-CU, vanilla NGE and modded NGE. Kind of like Ultima Online's private shard scene but without being content complete.

A lot of people also wouldn't know even if they wanted to play since people are generally in the a "let me know when JTL/Suncrusher (emulator finishes development) launches" mode.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
(TL;DR, no.)

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Guess this is a better thread to ask than any -- is this worth finding some aftermarket disk to get into if I'd never played? I am a horrible goon that enjoyed Vanilla WoW and 1999 EQ and I'm in the market for a new brand of digital crack.

I presume and accept I probably wouldn't be playing with goons.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

NT Plus posted:

Guess this is a better thread to ask than any -- is this worth finding some aftermarket disk to get into if I'd never played? I am a horrible goon that enjoyed Vanilla WoW and 1999 EQ and I'm in the market for a new brand of digital crack.

I presume and accept I probably wouldn't be playing with goons.

You can fit an "aftermarket disk" into a budget of $0.00 and about 700mb of disk space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
But :filez: !

• Locked thread