Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Congrats to Aredna for winning season 3!

We begin as we must always begin, with the official Calvinball theme song. (Feel free to join in harmonizing on the rum tum tums)

OFFICIAL CALVINBALL FF SONG
Other leagues' games are all such a bore!
They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
Calvinball is better by far!
It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
You don't need a GM or a referee!
You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!

THE UNCHANGING RULES OF THE CALVINBALL LEAGUE
1. All players must wear a mask.
.......a. No one may question the masks.
2. Every week each player may change one scoring rule, provided that rule has not:
.......a. Already been changed by someone else that week.
.......b. The rule has not already been played in the same way this season. (Not strictly enforced, but if someone notices and mentions that a player keeps "resetting" a favorite rule every other week, actions will be considered. Change it up, keep it fun.
.......c. No rule can overturn or change the week's Calvinball rule.
3. All rules should be declared in this thread using the following format:

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
Week 2: Completions are now worth -3 points!!!

4. All rules must apply to the entire league, no singling people or a team's specific players out.
5. Enforcement of the rules is everyone's responsibility. If something is amiss, mention it in the thread. Be honest, the game is only fun if everyone participates.
6. Mom says no: All rules must be implementable on ESPN, anything that can't be implemented due to software limitations will be declared void due to parental oversight. Seriously, you'll put your eye out and it's been well established that Anubis can't do math.
7. For the sake of the GM's sanity, rules should be declared between the last whistle of Monday after Sunday night football and to dusk on Wednesday, when our mothers call us in to take a bath. New rule changes won't take effect until after the previous week (Monday Night Football) is done and ESPN has a chance to put in any scoring changes Tuesday morning.
8. Everyone must play all of their (valid) starters. ESPN doesn't allow league rosters to change week to week so there will be may be spots left open if those have been turned off by a rule change. Also, all of your rostered players must see the field, so using backup quarterbacks (unless that is literally all that is available and valid) is potentially unacceptable. If a player gets struck by lightning pregame and doesn't see a snap but there was no way for you to know, we will deal with it on the fly as best we can.

THE CALVINBALL
The team with the worst score the week prior is declared to have the Calvinball. If you posses the Calvinball during the rules declaration period you can use it and send player(s) to jail for the week. Example:
"Example posted:
quote:
I HAVE THE CALVINABALL! I HAVE THE CALVINBALL!
Week 3: I hit "Chris" with the Calvinball. Anyone with the first name of Chris goes to jail and has to be benched this week!
The above would require all players with the name "Chris" be benched for week 3. So, Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory are both sitting this week. Do not make these overly broad! This is about fun, not sending someone to the waiver wire to research backup punters.
You may also use the Calvinball to make an extra rule adjustment about the roster, be sure to declare that it's your Calvinball rule since Calvinball rules do not carry over to the following week.

As with last season, I'll create the league with huge rosters and benches. We are starting the season with your basic QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX(no qb), K, DEF setup until rules start changing it. As always I'm looking for help GMing this chaotic mess. If I don't get some more volunteers I'm making everyone GM and we're going to play by the honor system.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
FAQ
Q: What the hell is this?
A: The fantasy football equivalent of a game the 80s-90s comic strip characters Calvin and Hobbes would play. Calvin was a free spirit, hating the claustrophobic rules of normal organized sports and competitions. This lead him and Hobbes (his stuffed tiger) to create their own game with rules they made up as they went. In a lot of ways, Calvinball has always been played by children the world over.

Q: So, you just change the rules each week?
A: Yes, everyone gets 1 rule change a week that they can use however they want. If they want to make it a 2QB league or they want to suddenly make rushing yards -70 per yard, perfectly acceptable. Rules carry over until someone else changes them in a following week. There's also a special rule every week called the "Calvinball rule" that you can read about in the rules above.

Q: Do you do a normal draft?
A: Our drafts are glorious. Seriously, there is no overstating the wonder of seeing a sudden round 6 run on defenses.

Q: Can I join?
A: If you weren't in it last year post and put your name on the waiting list, it's very likely we will have openings.

Last years players:

Aredna - Confirmed returning
Marshmallow Blue - Confirmed returning
Fenrir - Confirmed returning
Baldrash - Confirmed returning
gardenald - Gone
Anubis - Confirmed returning
KalenSC - Gone
Fight Club Sandwich - Gone
JPrime - Confirmed returning
OxySnake - Confirmed returning
3 DONG HORSE - Gone
Yoshifan823 - Gone

Wait List (If you posted to be on the wait list in the S3 thread and I missed you, link to your post and I'll slot you in where you belong)
Teeter
Teemu Pokemon
Nephzinho
Ches Neckbeard
McStabby

MISS WORMWOOD
Endzone HO!..............................5-1
The Babysat..............................4-2
The End Zone is Lava.....................4-2
A Nauseous Nocturne......................3-3
The Grude Abides.........................2-4
MAKING FANTASY GREAT AGAIN...............0-6

ROSALYN
Get Rid of Stupid KickerS................6-0
The Noodle Incidents.....................3-3
All QBs are Just Sacked .................3-3
The Revenge of Goodelled.................3-3
Y as IN Y do We Care - ..................2-4
Hill and Bernard.........................1-5

Anubis fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 25, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
We're going to have to go for either Monday or Tuesday for a draft day, if either of those don't work for you speak up and we'll do our best to make sure people don't auto.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Either is fine with me, although I'd prefer Monday since I still don't actually know what hours I'll be working Tuesday.

If all else fails the auto drafter will surely pick me winners, right? Riiiiiight? :shepface:

e: This year I shall have my revenge, Aredna! (for the new guys, he beat me in last year's finals with a punter due to a rule I made, haha)

e2: Also Anubis if you need help with the GM situation go ahead and enable me, I will try to keep up as well as I can, and if I know I will miss a day or whatever, I'll do my best to let you know ahead of time.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 3, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
:pray:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I'll also help GM

Probably will have to auto draft regardless, but I'll set calvinball appropriate rankings ahead of time.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Monday works for me. I have another draft on Tues.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Thanks for getting me on the wait list. I just found this thread so I'll stick around in case anything opens up.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can go ahead and take me out in exchange for someone on the wait list. I always fade out of this one towards the end, and I feel bad taking a spot from someone who might live up to the spirit of the league better.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
It's been a great 3 seasons, this league is so much fun but i can't keep up with weekly rule and roster changes with new IRL responsibilities, i'll let someone else join the fun

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Could I be added to the wait list?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

It's been a great 3 seasons, this league is so much fun but i can't keep up with weekly rule and roster changes with new IRL responsibilities, i'll let someone else join the fun

Thanks again for all of your great help.

Two of the wait list have been bolded, get me email addresses to send invites while we wait for word from the others.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:neckbeard: akickassduke@gmail.com

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Count me in for another year. Now that I don't have a second job ruining my Sundays, I can re-dedicate myself to Lord Football.

Both tomorrow and Tuesday work for me as far as drafts.

Baldrash fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 4, 2016

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I'm in! Monday works for me.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
If anyone knows how to get hold of gardenald or KalenSC please direct them to this thread asap. I'm pushing the draft back a couple extra hours (assuming we can fill in the gaps so ESPN will let me) in hopes that we can fill this up. If you're on the wait list, especially if you're name is now bolded, please post or PM you're email address for your invite.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 5, 2016

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm in, though depending on what time the draft is I will be on auto as I have game night tonight. Seeing as what this league is, though, I'm not sure how much autodraft will actually change from planning.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Anubis posted:

If anyone knows how to get hold of gardenald or KalenSC please direct them to this thread asap. I'm pushing the draft back a couple extra hours (assuming we can fill in the gaps so ESPN will let me) in hopes that we can fill this up. If you're on the wait list, especially if you're name is now bolded, please post or PM you're email address for your invite.

I had to fix a couple scoring things just so I wouldn't get error messages. Those are fixed now - all the crap I had to fix (punter and HC scoring) is set at 1 point just to make it stop giving me red flags.

It's okay if you want to push the draft to tomorrow.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

I had to fix a couple scoring things just so I wouldn't get error messages. Those are fixed now - all the crap I had to fix (punter and HC scoring) is set at 1 point just to make it stop giving me red flags.

It's okay if you want to push the draft to tomorrow.

We may have to, we have to fill the league (ie: the invites I sent out have to be accepted) before they will let us draft. As it stands, let's plan on tomorrow.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Push it quick, because the draft as it now is set to start in 37 minutes.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Hey guys, I'm gonna bow out this season, got too many leagues atm, I'll be following along though!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Talk about last minute world changes. But eh, it's calvinball :D It's just an early taste of the insanity to come.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

Push it quick, because the draft as it now is set to start in 37 minutes.

ESPN is being a pain in the dick tonight. It's getting DDoSed or something because it's login is broken. Either way, if it does somehow record a draft tonight we will redo it tomorrow once we have everyone more or less situated. I guess if you want to mock draft, espn is going to run one in about 15 minutes for us... because Calvinball isn't bad enough, you feel the need to mock draft on top of it!

Anubis fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Best mock draft ever - I got healers, fast birds, and DIX-ON.

Also got the NE and NO QBs!

Updated my team name because it's obvious and cheesy this year, but this league truly is MAKING FANTASY GREAT AGAIN

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Oh, just checked my PMs, whoops!

Have a fun season all!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the draft is now set for tomorrow at 8:15 PM EST... right in the middle of Smackdown :argh: but I can handle that.

(really guys, even if you auto draft, it doesn't matter that much aside from missing some funny poo poo. guess who took Aaron Rodgers in round 1 and benched him for most of the season last year. yup, this guy! You're going to change players constantly. Yay calvinball :D )

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I did ESPN default autodraft last year and won the league.

Two years ago I took over a team that had an abandoned owner and just barely missed playoffs due to some crazy tiebreaking rules.

Have fun with the rules each week and set up rules to help you out! This league is much more and week to week management and having fun with the rules than it is about drafting well.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
With Kalensc bowing out McStabby is up, if any of the LMs can get his email put in today we'll be all set to go for tonight and another crazy season of calvinball will come again!

And I even promise not to mess with the draft timer like I did in the mock.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Are you going to remove all my players again?! I had 3 medics!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
You can't win calvinball without waive ring 4 guys a week

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Anubis posted:

With Kalensc bowing out McStabby is up, if any of the LMs can get his email put in today we'll be all set to go for tonight and another crazy season of calvinball will come again!

And I even promise not to mess with the draft timer like I did in the mock.

Hopefully I won't be late, but my email is redacted

McStabby fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 6, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
Dyslexic Math
Week 1: Passing yards are now worth 20 points a yard.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
Fat Guy Touchdown

Week 1: Any fumble or interception returned for a touchdown is worth 500 points.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
It's the thought that counts

Week 1: Receiving targets are worth 5 points

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
No blitz!

Week 1: Each Sack is worth -100 points.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
God loving drat it. I'm sorry guys.. I got laid off from my job this afternoon. I missed the draft and I don't even know what players I have right now.

I know this is terrible timing but I might disappear. If that happens, throw some bullshit and dirt on my team and rub it in good. I'm gonna try to get ready for this week at least but I'm kinda exhausted after today, so I'll get on that tomorrow... when I get home from the god damned unemployment office :sigh:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Fenrir posted:

God loving drat it. I'm sorry guys.. I got laid off from my job this afternoon. I missed the draft and I don't even know what players I have right now.

I know this is terrible timing but I might disappear. If that happens, throw some bullshit and dirt on my team and rub it in good. I'm gonna try to get ready for this week at least but I'm kinda exhausted after today, so I'll get on that tomorrow... when I get home from the god damned unemployment office :sigh:

gently caress man sorry to hear that.

What are the starting lineup rules again?

Are they the default QB/2RB/2WR/1FLX/TE/DST/K?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

OxySnake posted:

gently caress man sorry to hear that.

What are the starting lineup rules again?

Are they the default QB/2RB/2WR/1FLX/TE/DST/K?

That's what they start at, yes.

Fenrir posted:

Uck, that sucks man. Don't worry too much, you'll get through it and so will we.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Fenrir posted:

This blows real bad. Sorry, Don't worry though!

---

NEW RULE NEW RULE!
You Broke the Game! Shut it off, take it out, blow on it, put it back in and reset.
40+ Yard Receiving TDs are worth 250 points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
Play Nice With Your Little Brother

Week 1: +500 points for a 1-4pt win margin by head coach, -1000 points for any larger win.

HC position, +500 WM1, -1000 WM5, WM10, WM15, WM20, WM25

• Locked thread