Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Doing a soulsbourne run with BB -> DS1 -> DS2. Just finished DS2 last night and it's dry as a fart compared to the previous two. Bad world level design, shoddy Boss design (gank bosses and trick bosses galore) and it was hilariously easy to overlevel in DS2. However that overlevelling seemed needed in the dlc where everything hit like a truck.

Also I would it infuriating to farm for upgrade items I literally got more slabs than chunks in pve, because some idiot thought it would be cool to force you to PvP with twinks and hackers to "earn" your chunks. Only other way to reliably get them is to finish the loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
just use cheat engine for upgrade materials like a normal person

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I'm playing through 2 right now on NG + and man it's really weird how different it feels. I like the story and world of 2 quite a bit, the characters are quite a bit chattier and do more philosophising.

The reason I wouldn't say the world is worse designed is basically that it's easy to forget Dark souls 2 is the biggest game by far. It literally has more than twice as many bosses as the first game and way more locations. Some of them do suck, but some locations in in the first Dark Souls suck to. Lost Izalith is terrible and boring, the Demon Ruins are just copy/pasted enemies for ages and nothing interesting, blight town is just a big open area with poison in it and bad frame rate etc. I think DS2 has the same batting average of good to bad areas as 1, it's just that it's such a bigger game that the bad and mediocre ones really just stick out (in fact DS2 I think has less bad areas, but way more mediocre ones)

One thing I will say is that yeah, the way the world connects to each other in two is loving absurd. It's midday in majula and the sun is down in pirate cave, just a little below. Go up an elevator in a windmill and you get to a volcano castle.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Calico Heart posted:

It literally has more than twice as many bosses as the first game

25 to 41 counting DLCs. Not literally twice as many. :eng101: Still that's pretty significant. I hadn't realized, you make a good point.

Dark Souls 1 did the screwy time thing too, it just did it better. It's always night in darkroot forrest, the transition was just so well done it always felt like time had passed somehow. Anor Londo has a lore reason for its sun to do whatever it wants.

DS2 may be bigger, but I think that no souls game has come close to the three-dimensionality and interconnectivity of the levels in Dark Souls 1.
The ability to see places you will one day go to (like ash lake from the catacombs, Seath's tower from annor Londo) is absent in DS2 and scarce in DS3. Feels more video gamey like they're levels not places in a solid if fantastical world.

Sometimes I think it's possible my love affair with dark souls 1 levels has to do with not being able to teleport until you are more than halfway through the game. You really had to know the levels backward and forwards. Still, there are parts of DS2 where it shows that the designers did not expect or design for backtracking (backtracking through Shrine of Amanna comes to mind).

DS 2 had the best covenants. :cool: I miss rat broing and bell broing. For all my criticisms I think DS2 is better than 99% of the games out there, I'm going to play it again someday. It's kind of the Rodney Dangerfield of Dark Souls Games.

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 5, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BBQ Dave posted:

Dark Souls 1 did the screwy time thing too, it just did it better. It's always night in darkroot forrest, the transition was just so well done it always felt like time had passed somehow. Anor Londo has a lore reason for its sun to do whatever it wants.

i'm playing a computer game so i just take these things in stride and don't give a poo poo about them

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
ds1 feel big because you gotta walk everywhere

in ds1 it felt like it had taken months since you'd last seen firelink when you finally work your way back there

having to warp back to firelink/majula to level up makes the world feel small and i dont get the point of that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
spending 10 mintues walking somewhere is in fact insanely boring and not good if its not somewhere new

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

like right now playing through 2 I beat the scorpion lady and was like "alright cool now on to the cove and freja" then as I was walking there I remembered "oh wait, there's like a whole camp first right?" then I walked through a cave and BAM I'm in the Doors of Pharros like "gently caress yeah there is and like another boss too". Not only that but I'm on NG+ and was looking through my inventory and there are so many loving items - you can increase our strength, then add fire to your weapon, then use a buff that increases your damage and reduces damage taken, THEN use items to increase resistances. No poo poo there is a LOT of stuff in 2

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i never use any of that because i'm too lazy to stick it in my quick menu unless its for a specific boss

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jose posted:

i never use any of that because i'm too lazy to stick it in my quick menu unless its for a specific boss

ye that's actually how I found out about it. Narja the Scorpion took me out pretty quick so I thought "how about fire... And magic defense? And increase attack???"

all that poo poo together though still only ended up giving a modest boost to everything

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

School Nickname posted:

Doing a soulsbourne run with BB -> DS1 -> DS2. Just finished DS2 last night and it's dry as a fart compared to the previous two. Bad world level design, shoddy Boss design (gank bosses and trick bosses galore) and it was hilariously easy to overlevel in DS2. However that overlevelling seemed needed in the dlc where everything hit like a truck.

Also I would it infuriating to farm for upgrade items I literally got more slabs than chunks in pve, because some idiot thought it would be cool to force you to PvP with twinks and hackers to "earn" your chunks. Only other way to reliably get them is to finish the loving game.

Join covenant of champions which prevents despawning (and will respawn anything you've despawned) and farm Black Gulch. If you go to the second bonfire and just do the lower half you don't even need to break the statues, just do a counter clockwise circuit after you drop out of the hole.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
just use cheat engine like a normal person but don't give yourself +10 weapons at the start of the game

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

ds1 feel big because you gotta walk everywhere

in ds1 it felt like it had taken months since you'd last seen firelink when you finally work your way back there

having to warp back to firelink/majula to level up makes the world feel small and i dont get the point of that

I agree, also your character in ds1 was about half the size on the screen as in ds2. This also lead to less camera issues with large bosses.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
camera issues just got worse from soft need ot realise things should go invisible when the camera is behind them instead of loving up

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I understand why they don't do that and I support their decision even if it means I die a few times because all I can see is Smelter Demons crotch.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
pvp was the best and you nerds who wine about it loving suck

proper pvp, none of the namby pamby forest poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-z18tVNono

you dont have to have the stat requirements met to get the knockback on hit on the dragonslayer greatbow. whipping it out in sens fortress meant an easy kill. most players would stand on the walkway to the crestfallen merchant, waiting to see some red dickhole come trundling forward.

there also happened to be a spot near where you zone in as in invader that put you out of their render distance but you were still able to see them.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Calico Heart posted:

Fromsoft games are really awesome and fun to play but I also think that they have some of the best storytelling out there. They tell stories in ways on interactive media can which is cool, but they also tell loving weird crazy stories making it even better. Bloodborne is probably coolest in this regard I think

It's a perfect use of the medium, the fragmentation of the lore and flavor is experienced as a character and a player simultaneously, there is no "missing" information in the sense of more film centric games like heavy rain where you're assuming a character and supposed to know things like, where the dishes go or the layout of the house.

In bloodborne you start off as a foreigner everyone despises but actually become a hunter as you get better at the game, and your elective experience of reading items or talking to characters is consistent and congrous with the medium. It's very rarely done well, which is a shame because games are a narrow medium in which second person narrative is very very effective

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

It's a perfect use of the medium, the fragmentation of the lore and flavor is experienced as a character and a player simultaneously, there is no "missing" information in the sense of more film centric games like heavy rain where you're assuming a character and supposed to know things like, where the dishes go or the layout of the house.

In bloodborne you start off as a foreigner everyone despises but actually become a hunter as you get better at the game, and your elective experience of reading items or talking to characters is consistent and congrous with the medium. It's very rarely done well, which is a shame because games are a narrow medium in which second person narrative is very very effective

For real. Think about that awesome "The Source of the Dream" moment in Bloodborne, and how loving poo poo that would have been as a cutscene.

DS3 I think has one of my favourite moments in the series and is actually on the wordier side. Going into the Untended Graves, going "what the gently caress is going on here?" and then finding the Eyes is amazing. Then when you give them to the firekeeper, a moment of silence, and the music changes. Just a loving awesome moment, made even better by talking to Ludleth and the Firekeeper some more. You aren't given much information but the tone tells you everything. Also one of my favourite bits of voice acting is the Firekeeper's "... I will do as thou bidst."

made all the better by being a dragon man in a diaper

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gatekeeper posted:

i understand it's a game but that's the extent of my knowledge, what is dark souls and why do ppl Like it enough for me to be aware of it through cultural osmosis

warning yahtzee but he sums it up pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STrYyhEwkbY

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
I wish Dark Souls bosses were a lot harder (with a few exceptions) but you didn't have to walk a mile back to them every time you died

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

Is gbs turning on Yahtzee now?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I wish Dark Souls bosses were a lot harder (with a few exceptions) but you didn't have to walk a mile back to them every time you died

Believe it or not Demon's Souls had much harder and usually way longer paths to the boss fights and, in general, slightly easier bosses. Nobody got to the end of 4-2 or 2-2 the first time without having used up almost all of the healing items they'd been saving for almost all the previous worlds. 4-2 itself is arguably harder than any single boss in the game.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Necc0 posted:

i dont think there needs to be a yhatzee warnign unless it's the Little Big Planet review

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I think he's fine but some goons have conniptions over him so i included the warning. for your health

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for your consideration. I think he is probably the most successful goon out they're so we should elevate our brother not bring him down like a pot of crabs.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

You can still just put on all Havel's, two hand a weapon, get chest to chest (some of their attacks do very little damage if you are close) and thump away, heal when your stamina runs out from thumping, then get back to it. Not the honorable way to go but if you get tired of the run then whatever.

my guy was heavy enough that i could do this anyway, thank you very much my friend.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

So Lords of the Fallen is free on Playstation Plus right now. It's not a bad game but BOY does it want to be Dark Souls. I heard the combat was similar going in but jesus it's not even trying to hide it - one of the control set-ups is literally "map the controller more like Dark Souls". Even the story has a "hollowing curse" that's affecting people.

It's not bad or anything so far. Opening area is a bit confined and small, lots of hallways and such. It feels like Dark Souls as a little more of a beat-em-up, maybe?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Demons souls, dark souls, bloodborne: the true soulsborne trilogy.

(Ds2 and 3 never happened)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
dark souls 2 is the best dark souls because they added a bunch of gameplay improvements they then got rid of for DS3/bloodborne

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

dark souls 2 is the best dark souls because they added a bunch of gameplay improvements they then got rid of for DS3/bloodborne

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Demons souls, dark souls, bloodborne: the true soulsborne trilogy.

(Ds2 and 3 never happened)

both great games, sorry about your terrible opinion

Jose posted:

to a degree it almost feels like Miyazaki refusing to acknowledge anything in 2 may have been better than 1

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Oh its on now motherfucker.

Ds2 is the most bland, boring, stupid, lame, gray retarded game ever, while ds1 is the best game ever. Have fun with your weak rear end loving animations and kinaestethics while i power saw people to death with the whirligig in bloodborne

Counterpoint: you're a sperg

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 6, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh its on now motherfucker.

Ds2 is the most bland, boring, stupid, lame, gray retarded game ever, while ds1 is the best game ever. Have fun with your weak rear end loving animations and kinaestethics while i power saw people to death with the whirligig in bloodborne

Thats one of the big (out of many) problems with ds2 that nobldy ever talks about. The animations are weightless because of ~<{*motion-capture*}>~. Demons souls had a bid slab of stone that you had to pull out of the ground with every swing, dark souls 1 had perfected hand crafted animations and blood borne was perfect in every way. Sorry about your poor taste?

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 6, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
bloodborne is real good but stupid poo poo like having to port back to the dream to port elsewhere is dumb as poo poo. as is the online system. make the camera go through walls and turn them invisible ffs

everything else is great

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dark souls 2 is ugly and the levels are bad.

Dark Souls 3 is just Dark Souls with good graphics and new levels so that makes it the best one.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Thats one of the big (out of many) problems with ds2 that nobldy ever talks about. The animations are weightless because of ~<{*motion-capture*}>~. Demons souls had a bid slab of stone that you had to pull out of the ground with every swing, dark souls 1 had perfected hand crafted animations and blood borne was perfect in every way. Sorry about your poor taste?

sorry the game isn't slow and heavy enough for you. May I recommend Lord of the Fallen for the true Dark Souls experience you crave?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I'm a terrible Souls fan because DS2 is one of my favorite games ever and I found DS1 to be okay at best and DS3 to be the living embodiment of :geno:

also Souls fans are quite possibly the most insufferable video game fans

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have been playing Ōkami which is the Dark Souls of family friendly Zelda-like action adventure games.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

I'm a terrible Souls fan because DS2 is one of my favorite games ever and I found DS1 to be okay at best and DS3 to be the living embodiment of :geno:

also Souls fans are quite possibly the most insufferable video game fans

Yes you're right we are loving giant shitheads but we're also pretty insular. Like, be it at your own risk if you wander into a dark souls thread

notZaar posted:

I have been playing Ōkami which is the Dark Souls of family friendly Zelda-like action adventure games.

would be cool if From did something cel-shaded and less gruesome. Their system works and is a lot of fun and doesn't have to be beholden to super-violent, desolate and hopeless worlds (though they're the best at that)

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 6, 2016

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
toss that game in the dumpster and load up some witcher 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
if the witcher games weren't scripted by grade 6 edgelords I might be able to get through one

but it seems to be written by the type of people who think saying the f-word out of context as much as possible is super radical to the max or something.

it's written so poorly there's no way to like anybody in the game

• Locked thread