Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm feeling the itch to play a demon/dark souls/bloodborne game but i've beaten them all twice other than DS3 and I want something new

Bloodborne is the best followed by DS2 and then demon souls imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i might have a go at a bloodborne dex build with the blades of mercy because gently caress learning to parry

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

DS2 is the better game even if the level design is nowhere near as good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It felt too linear and too many of the bosses were really easy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol story who cares. not having to run for 10 minutes to get somewhere is a vast improvement

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its a souls game the story is to kill anything that is going to attack you until you've genocided the world outside of a few friendly NPCs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

The best one was the first one and by that I mean Demon's. The other games are good but they're tribute games to the first.

demon souls is extremely good i agree

you managed to edit that before i quoted you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think you are probably a dingus

i think they should limit the porting but seriously running loving ages just to get to a vendor before you get the kiln is bad gameplay

DS2 had powerstancing which was cool. its like they had a team who fixed all the gameplay problems but didn't have a top level designer involved

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

none of the dark souls had the atmosphere of demon souls or bloodborne and suffer for it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ds2 had comparable but different flaws to ds1. Soul memory being a thing alone is a huge minus. Battle felt way more sludgy and while a big part of the souls games was always forcing you to be very careful about attacks it got cartoonish in 2.

i don't pvp in souls games os i never understood why people cared about soul memory. you have to be a massive gently caress up for it to matter and should probably not be playing the game anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i played all of dark souls 3 2 handing a big heavy weapon but had to use the dark sword against nameless king because i couldn't beat him otherwise smh. still no shield though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Putty posted:

oh this thread sucks now

in dark souls 3 i got parried and riposted and took no damage because the lag was so bad lol. I do a lot of co-op though because thats where most of the fun is and DS2 adding the small white soapstone was real good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FUGS is the best souls weapon. Whirligig the best From soft weapon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the only souls bosses i've not beaten are the 3 people at the end of the sunken king DLC and the 2 tigers at the end of the ivory king DLC. i'd beat the tigers but getting there was so annoying i gave up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Fear the old blood

from soft deserve a slap for the darkbeast bosses loving hell they suck because of the camera angle

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Vargs posted:

ds2 is the most replayable imo, and has the most content. i didn't like it as much at first but it has grown to be my favorite. meanwhile i have no desire to ever touch ds3 again after 2 playthroughs

try dragon's dogma: dark arisen too if you haven't. it's not completely directly comparable, but it definitely falls within the "third person fantasy action rpg with great combat that does not hold your hand at all" sort of wheelhouse.

the sorcerer spells in dragons dogma are the msot satisfying in any game i've played but its all about the magick archer and setting yourself on fire then jumping onto things to stab them in the head

i did all the chalice dungeons up to the final boss in bloodborne then got a new game and stopped playing and never beat her lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

demon souls was cool as a magic character because you get a spell early on that stops 90% of physical damage from a boss soul so you just cast that and run around hitting things wiht the free falchion that regens mp :thumbsup:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

think i'll replay dark souls. any recommendations on builds for beating it? first time i used the iaito and a shield and then the zweihander and a greatshield and feeling a no shield run

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

does bloodborne only allow a single save i can't remember and don't want to delete my current one or finish it off atm

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Garg halberd is the best no shield weapon for pvm, you can kill the first garg and then bone out until you get it, it drop in like 1/4 garg kills

noted. thinking of like magic left hand weapon right hand but idk how good it is in dark souls

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what situation other than pulling would you ever bother wih a bow

magic was incredibly broken in DS2 before patches. its how i played my first run and i had 50/50 faith/int with lightning spear and 2 soul geysers and bosses got beaten near instantly

i'm just thinking utility spells/miracles/pyromancies to go with a big heavy weapon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

People stand outside of aggro range and kill enemies with four or so arrows while the enemy slowly plods toward them, over and over, for the entire game.

thats boring as poo poo. bloodborne got me over using a shield and i'll never go back

i completed DS1 and 2 first time not realising dodging made you invincible briefly and thought it was purely ot avoid the attack lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tfw when you finally get over your caution in your first souls game and just go for it instead of worrying about losing souls

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i beat defiled amygdala with ranged attacks and i'm not ashamed to admit it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dare is that you?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

yeah ranged attacks on amygdala is bad and kinda cheesy, completely trivialises the fight. I think you can even kill it in one shot if you stagger it then use the canon

not the defiled one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've died to bosses a lot more than O+S but i think they're the hardest bosses when i did them second time since i summoned first time.

then again i reached ruin sentinels when i only had magic arrow and basically couldn't hurt them so had to use summons. smashed them second time using curved sword + uchigatana

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Putty posted:

People need to stop saying that Dark Souls games are (made to be) difficult.

the camera is loving difficult a lot of the time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

watching speed runs and how they skip/break a load of stuff is interesting but if i'm playing i'm killing every boss possible

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

playing on pc so blight town doesn't freeze is really nice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats how i beat 4 kings the second time. first time i used the pyromancy that stops you being able to move much or take much damage

its a bad boss fight. also don't like 5 appear if you take too long

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've never actually fought ceaseless discharge i just use the arm trick

if you don't care about NG+ you can pump all of the levels into endurance so you can wear full havel's wtih a lightning zweihander and artorius' great shield and still have the medium roll

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just use cheat engine for upgrade materials like a normal person

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

BBQ Dave posted:

Dark Souls 1 did the screwy time thing too, it just did it better. It's always night in darkroot forrest, the transition was just so well done it always felt like time had passed somehow. Anor Londo has a lore reason for its sun to do whatever it wants.

i'm playing a computer game so i just take these things in stride and don't give a poo poo about them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

spending 10 mintues walking somewhere is in fact insanely boring and not good if its not somewhere new

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i never use any of that because i'm too lazy to stick it in my quick menu unless its for a specific boss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just use cheat engine like a normal person but don't give yourself +10 weapons at the start of the game

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

camera issues just got worse from soft need ot realise things should go invisible when the camera is behind them instead of loving up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dark souls 2 is the best dark souls because they added a bunch of gameplay improvements they then got rid of for DS3/bloodborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bloodborne is real good but stupid poo poo like having to port back to the dream to port elsewhere is dumb as poo poo. as is the online system. make the camera go through walls and turn them invisible ffs

everything else is great

• Locked thread