Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

All their games are fantastic, Fromsoft best game maker out there for sure but man they can never get it 100%. Really really wish DS3's PVP was as fun as 2's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Azuth0667 posted:

I would agree. The designers got lazy and wanted to live up to the hype so they sped everything up and slowed you down.

I think that's a little unfair. A lot of the enemies are tricky and have more diverse moves than we've ever seen from Fromsoft before. If you go back to the first DS the speed disparity is still mostly there it's just you're slow as gently caress and the enemies are only slow as gently caress. The main killer is lack of diversity in PVP I think. Infusions are useless, magic is useless etc.

A big change I really liked is you don't have to loving upgrade your armour and farm titanite for years. You're free to mix and match and fashion souls to your hearts content.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jose posted:

think i'll replay dark souls. any recommendations on builds for beating it? first time i used the iaito and a shield and then the zweihander and a greatshield and feeling a no shield run

Fun build:

Archer man! Use primarily bows and whips. Level up strength and dex with slight favour to dex. Try to use bows as mmuch as possible - the leo and hawk rings will aid you a lot. You'll be surprised how crazily high your damage output can be.

Alternatively:

True Artorias build

This basically means you have a little of everything. The true Artorias sword scales with strength, dex, int and faith. Play as this dude without a shield just two-handing the sword. You will do crazy damage but also be quite vulnerable because you have to spread stats out so much

both these builds are quite unique and fun

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Fromsoft games are really awesome and fun to play but I also think that they have some of the best storytelling out there. They tell stories in ways on interactive media can which is cool, but they also tell loving weird crazy stories making it even better. Bloodborne is probably coolest in this regard I think

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you ever* use magic in a souls game you're a baby bitch

Also no bows except to pull

*You can use it if you're farming

in DS2 hexes were legit the best way to play. I will give you in DS1 magic was totally useless and in 3 it's useless in pvp

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

If you wear the leo ring and headshot an enemy with a +10 bow while they're attacking, you will one shot most every enemy in the game.

It's a fun and challenging way to play. The first Dark Souls really shines in the diversity and kookiness of fun viable builds to try

EDIT: if you do it with a greatbow pretty sure you can one shot kalameet even

EDIT 2: if you have a chaos bow and humanity then it would do even more damage :/

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 4, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

"The best way to play" meaning overpowered gay bullshit

Souls games are designed around the melee experience. Using ranged attacks as a primary way of dealing damage is just cheating yourself of the actual game. If the enemy ai could deal with magic as well as players do that would be one thing, but using magic heavily against an ai that can't deal with is basically just an abstraction on exploiting pathing errors to get by a hard boss, except as a whole game. If you hexed or lightning speared (pre patch) your way through DS2 you basically didn't even play the game.

Not even a real argument because you can infuse a weapon with dark and have melee on top of hexing lol

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 4, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

People stand outside of aggro range and kill enemies with four or so arrows while the enemy slowly plods toward them, over and over, for the entire game.

only if you're playing like a pussy :shrug:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Your say that but we know you just spammed spells like a big poof

lol it's okay man, I know sometimes you're just presented with so many options it can be hard. you learned your way to play and that's fine :thumbsup:

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are some spots where you basically have to pull with a ranged weapon in every souls game, that's fine. If you are actually killing guys with ranged attacks as a strategy through you're a wuss.

Fighting O+S with a bow only is crazy hard and hella satisfying to pull off. F'real bow-heavy run doesn't mean you have to be some puss who just snipes enemies from far away. It's fun to roll around and shoot. The first Dark Souls though I feel used to enough that I don't ever really invest too much in HP anyway though. Does tanking actually work in any souls games or is speed just de facto always more important?

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 4, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jose posted:

i beat defiled amygdala with ranged attacks and i'm not ashamed to admit it

yeah ranged attacks on amygdala is bad and kinda cheesy, completely trivialises the fight. I think you can even kill it in one shot if you stagger it then use the canon

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

:shrug: see I never had any trouble with O + S melee, but when I tried with a bow they gave me some poo poo. I always enjoy hearing what different people find hard. Some people think Oceiros in 3 is the hardest boss by far by in my three plathroughs I've died to him like, once. I always dread the princes though.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

the thing is apart from a few instances Fromsoft games are incredibly fair. Though they can be difficult they're seldom ever frustrating or cheap, and each game only takes a little while to settle into and get the hang of. I find them the perfect amount of challenge.

That said if people are new to the games and having trouble I usually recommend they play with a faith investment, as being able to shoot off a heal after every mob of enemies without using up an estus I imagine makes the experience much smoother.

pyromancy is cool in DS1 because it's essentially a way to beat the game even if you make a poo poo character with terrible stats

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I typically use the master key and skip the depths/entrance to blight town. Not really for any reason though, I don't mind either of those areas, just think it's cool you can skip all that

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jose posted:

playing on pc so blight town doesn't freeze is really nice

I don't know how any of the enemies in blight town are supposed to animate lol

Frog Act posted:

i hate ornstein and smaugh, they hard

maybe you're playing it wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-gGZ_9wwqk

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 4, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

i dunno if i think it's a bad boss fight but it's annoying as you have to wear a special ring during it and I think I almost always end up changing my gear a bit

fun fact: if you take the ring off during the fight you get a special animation where you're pulled into the abyss and instead of "YOU DIED" the game says "WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE loving RING OFF?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvgRlXRflw

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Ceaseless Dishcarge i think is the only boss I don't fight normally actually. He's an incredibly annoying boss and I think once I learnt about the arm trick I just decided not to bother with that guy

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I'm playing through 2 right now on NG + and man it's really weird how different it feels. I like the story and world of 2 quite a bit, the characters are quite a bit chattier and do more philosophising.

The reason I wouldn't say the world is worse designed is basically that it's easy to forget Dark souls 2 is the biggest game by far. It literally has more than twice as many bosses as the first game and way more locations. Some of them do suck, but some locations in in the first Dark Souls suck to. Lost Izalith is terrible and boring, the Demon Ruins are just copy/pasted enemies for ages and nothing interesting, blight town is just a big open area with poison in it and bad frame rate etc. I think DS2 has the same batting average of good to bad areas as 1, it's just that it's such a bigger game that the bad and mediocre ones really just stick out (in fact DS2 I think has less bad areas, but way more mediocre ones)

One thing I will say is that yeah, the way the world connects to each other in two is loving absurd. It's midday in majula and the sun is down in pirate cave, just a little below. Go up an elevator in a windmill and you get to a volcano castle.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

like right now playing through 2 I beat the scorpion lady and was like "alright cool now on to the cove and freja" then as I was walking there I remembered "oh wait, there's like a whole camp first right?" then I walked through a cave and BAM I'm in the Doors of Pharros like "gently caress yeah there is and like another boss too". Not only that but I'm on NG+ and was looking through my inventory and there are so many loving items - you can increase our strength, then add fire to your weapon, then use a buff that increases your damage and reduces damage taken, THEN use items to increase resistances. No poo poo there is a LOT of stuff in 2

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jose posted:

i never use any of that because i'm too lazy to stick it in my quick menu unless its for a specific boss

ye that's actually how I found out about it. Narja the Scorpion took me out pretty quick so I thought "how about fire... And magic defense? And increase attack???"

all that poo poo together though still only ended up giving a modest boost to everything

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

It's a perfect use of the medium, the fragmentation of the lore and flavor is experienced as a character and a player simultaneously, there is no "missing" information in the sense of more film centric games like heavy rain where you're assuming a character and supposed to know things like, where the dishes go or the layout of the house.

In bloodborne you start off as a foreigner everyone despises but actually become a hunter as you get better at the game, and your elective experience of reading items or talking to characters is consistent and congrous with the medium. It's very rarely done well, which is a shame because games are a narrow medium in which second person narrative is very very effective

For real. Think about that awesome "The Source of the Dream" moment in Bloodborne, and how loving poo poo that would have been as a cutscene.

DS3 I think has one of my favourite moments in the series and is actually on the wordier side. Going into the Untended Graves, going "what the gently caress is going on here?" and then finding the Eyes is amazing. Then when you give them to the firekeeper, a moment of silence, and the music changes. Just a loving awesome moment, made even better by talking to Ludleth and the Firekeeper some more. You aren't given much information but the tone tells you everything. Also one of my favourite bits of voice acting is the Firekeeper's "... I will do as thou bidst."

made all the better by being a dragon man in a diaper

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

So Lords of the Fallen is free on Playstation Plus right now. It's not a bad game but BOY does it want to be Dark Souls. I heard the combat was similar going in but jesus it's not even trying to hide it - one of the control set-ups is literally "map the controller more like Dark Souls". Even the story has a "hollowing curse" that's affecting people.

It's not bad or anything so far. Opening area is a bit confined and small, lots of hallways and such. It feels like Dark Souls as a little more of a beat-em-up, maybe?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Demons souls, dark souls, bloodborne: the true soulsborne trilogy.

(Ds2 and 3 never happened)

both great games, sorry about your terrible opinion

Jose posted:

dark souls 2 is the best dark souls because they added a bunch of gameplay improvements they then got rid of for DS3/bloodborne

to a degree it almost feels like Miyazaki refusing to acknowledge anything in 2 may have been better than 1

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Oh its on now motherfucker.

Ds2 is the most bland, boring, stupid, lame, gray retarded game ever, while ds1 is the best game ever. Have fun with your weak rear end loving animations and kinaestethics while i power saw people to death with the whirligig in bloodborne

Counterpoint: you're a sperg

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 6, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Thats one of the big (out of many) problems with ds2 that nobldy ever talks about. The animations are weightless because of ~<{*motion-capture*}>~. Demons souls had a bid slab of stone that you had to pull out of the ground with every swing, dark souls 1 had perfected hand crafted animations and blood borne was perfect in every way. Sorry about your poor taste?

sorry the game isn't slow and heavy enough for you. May I recommend Lord of the Fallen for the true Dark Souls experience you crave?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

I'm a terrible Souls fan because DS2 is one of my favorite games ever and I found DS1 to be okay at best and DS3 to be the living embodiment of :geno:

also Souls fans are quite possibly the most insufferable video game fans

Yes you're right we are loving giant shitheads but we're also pretty insular. Like, be it at your own risk if you wander into a dark souls thread

notZaar posted:

I have been playing Ōkami which is the Dark Souls of family friendly Zelda-like action adventure games.

would be cool if From did something cel-shaded and less gruesome. Their system works and is a lot of fun and doesn't have to be beholden to super-violent, desolate and hopeless worlds (though they're the best at that)

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 6, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

toss that game in the dumpster and load up some witcher 3

fo real I have TRIED to play this game. I started it up and every other minute it was opening a new menu with new poo poo like alchemy and magic and whatever. Fine, there's a lot in the game, but the reaction I had sometimes was like "God this is going to be a loving chore"

and sure enough like the first mission in I'm like "okay, this is going okay, it's a bit clunky but fine" and a dude goes "you need ten bumflowers before the quest can advance". No indication of where to go. Like there may be a lot of fun stuff in the game but the idea of having to loving look up where these loving resources are online and go there and look around at the floor for them and then go back just so I can continue the other bit of the game was toxic to me.

Again, maybe there's cool stuff in the game, I hear loads of good stuff about it, but that just sorta killed my interest dead right there. Does anyone in the world actually have fun collecting ten bumflowers? It just seems like, I can't imagine any developer in the world going "wouldn't it be fun if in our game the player had to go find some oats?"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

BBQ Dave posted:

I think part of why all the soulborne games are great games is because From is always trying different things. Fans having different opinions about which game is best and why is evidence that the games are never really just the same thing over again with better graphics. No one really agrees which is best and which is worst, they all have good and bad parts.

quality post. I don't really have a favourite but I wouldn't call anyone out for saying any of them was the best

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jose posted:

has anyone beaten bloodborne using nothing but the torch?

it would be weird if no one had. People have beaten every fromsoft game under every condition imaginable; level 1, with feet, with guitar hero controller, NG+7 with broken ladle weapon

that said a lot of enemies freak out at the torch so I think you could find weirder. Like beating the game just with that one weird punching weapon from the dlc

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUnmVJKnYpc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

This was alwas my favourite way to troll in dark souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs

• Locked thread