Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Jose posted:

i might have a go at a bloodborne dex build with the blades of mercy because gently caress learning to parry

I had a ton of fun doing this! Kill Eileen early on (it's easy if you get her to fall down near the rats). If you can live with yourself they're a fun ride through the whole game and if you have the DLC the ryuko will be a ton of fun on the same build. Or just go through on NG+.

Parrying sucks, but sometimes you're going to want to do it. Bloodborne is best with a giant weapon like the hunters axe or whirlygig or a really fast two handed mode (ryuko and twinblades). Never saw the point in a hunter weapon that let's you always have your gun out no matter what mode it's in (cane, cleaver, spear etc.)

Twinblades run is fun. Plus the transform animation never gets old. You know you're going be doing that flippy motion while slowly walking away from defeated foes when nobody is watching.

Here's my order (best to worst) :toot:
Dark Souls (best characters, best-interconnected environments with verticality, best encounters (level design), best story, best bosses, best DLC)
Bloodborne (2nd best characters, 2nd best story, best atmosphere, also HP LOVECRAFT + DARKSOULS beats everything but dark souls, it's in spot 2 for less than fun multiplayer and dumb covenants, 2nd best DLC)
Dark Souls 2 (Worst story, best covenants, Best multiplayer, flat characters (cept maybe Lucatei) worst DLC
Dark Souls 3 (Okay Story, 2nd best multiplayer, flat characters, too grey)
(2 and three are closely tied for me)
Demons Souls (Only beat it once, never wanted to beat it again, it feels like proto darksouls to me, flat characters, klunky level design. I don't know why people like it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Gatekeeper posted:

lol like anything I learn on my own would be as good as having goons explain it

A goon already has. This is from Orv's concise and well-written OP on the Dark Souls thread (the whole thing with screenshots is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503028)

"What's So Special About Dark Souls?

The difficulty is a major selling point for the Souls series, harkening back to the yesteryear of games that make you fight for that Game Complete screen. Monsters will frequently come from hidden or obscured positions to ambush and kill you. Bosses will one-shot an unprepared character. Despite the sometimes crushing difficulty of the games, with a few notable exceptions, every difficulty can be overcome with caution, common sense and a bit of memorization. Learning how Dark Souls likes to kill you is part of the experience, and the feeling of overcoming something in moments that once gave you trouble has garnered a large following."

I recomend you read the whole thing (the op not the thread) :feelsgood:

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 4, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

5-3 is one of the only great moments in game storytelling.

I would like to know why you think this. All I remember about 5-3 is killing that knight and then the lady dies. I guess she was trying to help the monsters/people down there. I guess it's like a bit of a twilight zone moment like oh no I'M THE BAD GUY!

Really, I wanna know more! School me up.

:shrug:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Jose posted:

does bloodborne only allow a single save i can't remember and don't want to delete my current one or finish it off atm

Bloodborne allows many saves.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

You basically covered it but the important thing is that that story is told entirely through gameplay. Games usually use little movies or text to try to inject story and the actual game you play has nothing to do with it. 5-3 the game is the story despite you not really playing a character and despite you knowing almost nothing (potentially actually nothing if you weren't talking to people and reading items a lot) about the knight or the lady going into it.

Okay well put. I don't remember being wowed in the moment or afterwards but it is a cool gameplay storytelling moment.

drat. You got me thinking about playing demon souls again..:psyduck:..never say never. I played through as a miracle archer, maybe it's time for a spellsword run. Our PS3 got sick and died though.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

It literally has more than twice as many bosses as the first game

25 to 41 counting DLCs. Not literally twice as many. :eng101: Still that's pretty significant. I hadn't realized, you make a good point.

Dark Souls 1 did the screwy time thing too, it just did it better. It's always night in darkroot forrest, the transition was just so well done it always felt like time had passed somehow. Anor Londo has a lore reason for its sun to do whatever it wants.

DS2 may be bigger, but I think that no souls game has come close to the three-dimensionality and interconnectivity of the levels in Dark Souls 1.
The ability to see places you will one day go to (like ash lake from the catacombs, Seath's tower from annor Londo) is absent in DS2 and scarce in DS3. Feels more video gamey like they're levels not places in a solid if fantastical world.

Sometimes I think it's possible my love affair with dark souls 1 levels has to do with not being able to teleport until you are more than halfway through the game. You really had to know the levels backward and forwards. Still, there are parts of DS2 where it shows that the designers did not expect or design for backtracking (backtracking through Shrine of Amanna comes to mind).

DS 2 had the best covenants. :cool: I miss rat broing and bell broing. For all my criticisms I think DS2 is better than 99% of the games out there, I'm going to play it again someday. It's kind of the Rodney Dangerfield of Dark Souls Games.

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 5, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

I'm a terrible Souls fan because DS2 is one of my favorite games ever and I found DS1 to be okay at best and DS3 to be the living embodiment of :geno:

also Souls fans are quite possibly the most insufferable video game fans

I think part of why all the soulborne games are great games is because From is always trying different things. Fans having different opinions about which game is best and why is evidence that the games are never really just the same thing over again with better graphics. No one really agrees which is best and which is worst, they all have good and bad parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

So Lords of the Fallen is free on Playstation Plus right now. It's not a bad game but BOY does it want to be Dark Souls. I heard the combat was similar going in but jesus it's not even trying to hide it - one of the control set-ups is literally "map the controller more like Dark Souls". Even the story has a "hollowing curse" that's affecting people.

It's not bad or anything so far. Opening area is a bit confined and small, lots of hallways and such. It feels like Dark Souls as a little more of a beat-em-up, maybe?

Thanks for the tip! I always forget to check! I downloaded it and it looks . . . okay. Great for the price!

• Locked thread