Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Absolutely not. The difference being that under the system proposed by The Kingfisher any protest, regardless of intent, would be automatically dismissed out of hand because in an ideal world all protests are worthless.

In that sort of world the civil rights movement wouldn't exist etc.

You can protest but it will never change anything.

You can have your vote but don't expect it to count for anything.

You can plead the fifth but we're always going to take it as an admission of guilt.

These are the kinds of ridiculous statements that would be laughed out of any honest discussion about rights.

When you take away the purpose for a right to exist but keep the mechanism in play what you've essentially done is neutered it to the point of mere ritual, no more than a bunch of tribesmen setting up a bamboo runway for a plane that's never coming.

Would you care to quote where The Kingfisher said any such thing? I mean he's free to defend himself, but as far I can tell all he said was

The Kingfish posted:

I don't believe that this quashes speech. I think that a university administration should choose to ignore protesters who want to revoke a political speaker's privilege to speak. But students should absolutely not be prevented from protesting, its a crucial distinction.

which is not exactly a case for ignoring all protests ever. It's simply a statement that protests in favor of censoring speeches in the context of a University should be ignored out of hand for unspecified reasons (which are presumably related to a commitment to free expression and open exchange of ideas in an academic settings). You've extended this into a completely ridiculous straw-man that actually just makes you look terrible.

Just as your right to vote is not invalidated if a blatantly unconstitutional law you voted in favor of cannot be implemented, your right to protest is not violated if a bad thing you are advocating for is dismissed out of hand by parties interested in maintaining an organization's core principles. You might persuade them that the thing you're advocating isn't so bad after all (or cause the established order to be overthrown)- the civil rights movement(s) certainly did! But that's a function of having good arguments, not because the act of protesting has a corresponding right to make the cause being advocated command respect or support.

LGD fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SSNeoman posted:

I really am impressed you decided MILO YIANNOUPOULIS is the hill you chose to die on. Well done. Well done indeed. satire truly is dead

The ACLU has defended racists, NAMBLA, and the Westboro Baptist Church. Also communists, LGBTQ, and civil rights leaders.

"Michael Brown was a criminal who had just committed a robbery, that's the hill you chose to die on?"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://popehat.com/2016/09/22/fire-attacks-northern-michigan-universitys-shocking-wanton-rule-against-students-sharing-suicidal-thoughts/

Shows that university speech policies can be dumb even without an obvious political valence involved.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I know we are 30+ pages after the OP but I had to laugh at this...

SSNeoman posted:

(if a white person ever takes a picture of themselves with tape over their mouth, please shove their head into the nearest toilet and flush it repeatedly)

How self-centered you have to be to monopolize a universal symbol of protest?

SSNeoman posted:

We're talking about students going to college. That's stressful as is. Do we really want to add this sort of abuse against them on top of that?

I'm trying to imagine the inhuman enormity of stress of studying on a college in US but my eyes are rolling so hard I might lose consciousness. And on top of that... ABUSE! Because an event that nobody has to attend equals abuse.

SSNeoman posted:

What if you're a girl and Milo said that rape culture is a lie?

I don't know. I'm trying to imagine that situation... So, there's a young woman... And she is listening to a guy... And the guy says "rape culture is a lie". :shrug:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Doctor Malaver posted:

How self-centered you have to be to monopolize a universal symbol of protest?

i thought that the boy with tape on his face is pretty funny tbh

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

LGD posted:

Would you care to quote where The Kingfisher said any such thing? I mean he's free to defend himself, but as far I can tell all he said was

which is not exactly a case for ignoring all protests ever. It's simply a statement that protests in favor of censoring speeches in the context of a University should be ignored out of hand for unspecified reasons (which are presumably related to a commitment to free expression and open exchange of ideas in an academic settings). You've extended this into a completely ridiculous straw-man that actually just makes you look terrible.

Just as your right to vote is not invalidated if a blatantly unconstitutional law you voted in favor of cannot be implemented, your right to protest is not violated if a bad thing you are advocating for is dismissed out of hand by parties interested in maintaining an organization's core principles. Sad
This is al pretty on the ball, but the proper analogy for what he is talking about is actually stupider then that. In the case of a law that is struck down democracy is being subverted, (regardless of whether that is a good thing or a bad thing in the relevant circumstance.)

The real analogy is that your right to vote isn't invalidated by the fact that you voted for a measure which didn't pass.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

The Kingfish posted:

This is al pretty on the ball, but the proper analogy for what he is talking about is actually stupider then that. In the case of a law that is struck down democracy is being subverted, (regardless of whether that is a good thing or a bad thing in the relevant circumstance.)

The real analogy is that your right to vote isn't invalidated by the fact that you voted for a measure which didn't pass.

You mean, a measure which will never pass. You want people to protest as long as no-one ever acts on those protests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A measure which could pass but will not.

A measure which could pass but I hope will not.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 23, 2016

• Locked thread