Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cravius posted:

But no one would say George Will is a demagogue or hate advocate

I absolutely would. Because he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
So who would be an acceptable advocate of the thought process half of America subscribes to? Hmmm?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

So who would be an acceptable advocate of the thought process half of America subscribes to? Hmmm?

You mean 37%. Anyways, if conservatives can't find an advocate that doesn't say heinous poo poo publicly, maybe conservatism really is hateful as an ideology, and non-hateful conservatives are simply bad at being conservative.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
"who would be ok" is completely missing the point. students have the right to protest, whether they are liberal or conservative.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cravius posted:

Good question. When you find a candidate let me know and I'll be happy to vet them for you.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

botany posted:

"who would be ok" is completely missing the point. students have the right to protest, whether they are liberal or conservative.

Absolutely in agreement. And the schools should be able to bring those speakers in regardless of whether they are liberal or conservative.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

cravius posted:

Are you saying there are no conservatives who can agree with a university policy that campus rape is a real and bad thing that shouldn't happen?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cravius posted:

Absolutely in agreement. And the schools should be able to bring those speakers in regardless of whether they are liberal or conservative.

So student should be able to protest, but colleges should never listen to them?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

So, the current status quo? Or are we saying that if a school feels it might be swayed by protests, the federal government should intervene and mandate the speaker present, and also crush the protesters?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cravius posted:

If there's no dialogue between the student body and the administration just does whatever it wants, wouldn't that be pushing things more towards the end of the school administration attempting to indoctrinate the student body?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cravius posted:

'conservatives are banned from campus' is a really weak defense when we're talking about the content of people's speech and not their affiliation

really this is rooted in the idea of conservatives pissing and moaning that their ideas don't stand up to rational scrutiny so obviously it must be insidious academic censorship

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

So student should be able to protest, but colleges should never listen to them?

Creating bubbles of thought that only cater to certain ideologies is the antithesis of higher education

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

Creating bubbles of thought that only cater to certain ideologies is the antithesis of higher education

Should protesters be killed if they refuse to submit to the belief that they have to pay for rape apologists giving presentations about how feminism is a lie? Or merely brutalized by campus pigs?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

It's almost as if this isn't so much about 'free speech' but rather the vindication of undesirable beliefs. When people say they want a marketplace of ideas they're not looking for a competitive model, they're looking for their ideas to be actively subsidised.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

really this is rooted in the idea of conservatives pissing and moaning that their ideas don't stand up to rational scrutiny so obviously it must be insidious academic censorship

"My ideology is correct and therefore doesn't need to be subject to scrutiny"

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

cravius posted:

Except it is impossible to escape putting yourself in a bubble of thought. An article of faith in the goodness and desirability of debate, and professing that left and right are morally equal is ideological, and would be catering to a particular ideology. Your views are never neutral.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

You don't need to put quotes from yourself into quotation marks. Helpful hint.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cravius posted:

...says the man demanding equal time and protection from protest for his preferred ideology

do you think about the things you say, before you get mad and just start posting?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

...says the man demanding equal time and protection from protest for his preferred ideology

do you think about the things you say, before you get mad and just start posting?

When did I ever said people shouldn't be allowed to protest

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cravius posted:

So you're of course equally incensed about Christian colleges, right?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As things exist currently there is nothing preventing universities from hosting conservative speakers, so I guess people saying conservatives need protection believe that unless liberal/lefty protesters are ground into hamburger by National Guard APCs they're censoring conservatives by advocating for things.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really your entire tantrum cravius hinges on two dumb assumptions

1) there are no conservative opinions on a college campus (tell that to college republicans)

2) campuses restrict speakers based on ideology, not on content of past speeches

neither of these are evidently true but they have to be, in your mind, to cook up this weird scenario that nobody itt but you seem to believe (for mysterious reasons)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cravius posted:

You technically didn't. What you actually said is that their protests should never be listened to, which is a meaningless distinction.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cravius posted:

So you're only okay with protesting if it's completely ineffective?

cravius posted:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

When you said, in reference to the current state of affairs,

cravius posted:

which implies that protests are creating these bubbles of thought.

Maybe you just like to puke out irrelevancies?

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

...I can understand why people get surprised and annoyed by the concept of trigger warnings. I might feel that way, if I had never heard that story, or met people with trauma. But as it is I'm not really sympathetic to broad arguments against them.

On a campus that mandated trigger warnings, would it be reasonable for a professors to be sued for something like this happening?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
You just don't want to be exposed to beliefs and ideas you disagree with and that's a damning indictment of the strength of yalls convictions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cravius posted:

You just don't want to be exposed to beliefs and ideas you disagree with and that's a damning indictment of the strength of yalls convictions.

this is a really weak cop-out that doesn't address any of the posts made against you and is basically an admission that you can't argue against them

which is pretty ironic given that you're accusing people who have challenged your posts as instead running away in fear

maybe it is, you, who lives, in, the, bubble? just, a thought

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

Wow, I just got a bingo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cravius posted:

Beliefs and ideas I disagree with are everywhere when I use the Internet. In fact, I'm currently using it for the express purpose of exposing myself to, and interacting with, beliefs and ideas I disagree with.

Seriously, how can be posting here and not understand that there are limitless platforms for any and every idea there is?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

cravius posted:

universities, insofar as they are private institutions rather than state schools, should have the right to decide who they want as guest speakers. if the schools decide to listen to their student body, that's understandable, since a hostile student body makes your life as a university admin impossible. in any case universities have the obligation to make sure that both students and guest speakers are safe, and are therefore obligated to cancel talks if they have a reasonable suspicion that this safety cannot be guaranteed. this was the case with sarkeesian and with milo.

in other words, everything is working as intended.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

cravius posted:

this is an idiotic talking point since opposition to people like milo is THE RESULT of being exposed to beliefs and ideas students disagree with.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"you don't want to be exposed to ideas you disagree with!" shouts the foolish scrub over the din of multiple people engaging directly with his ideas

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

People actually don't have the right to have their speech taken seriously by other private actors in civil society. Sorry you're mad about war criminals being booed off stage

That doesn't seem to be what FIRE is fighting about, though?

Edit: A lot of what they do seems to be referring people to lawyers in cases where constitutional rights are at least arguably implicated.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 4, 2016

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

CSPAN Caller posted:

On a campus that mandated trigger warnings, would it be reasonable for a professors to be sued for something like this happening?

No, of course not. That's absurd.

But on a campus that mandated trigger warnings, I think it would be appropriate for "a student literally killed herself over this" to lead to a note on the next semester's syllabus that said something like "Note that we will be discussing incest in detail in discussion sections on these dates. Please talk to your TA if this may be a problem for you," followed by a stern warning, followed by the TAs being told to warn if the professor refuses, followed by maybe the TAs being replaced, if the professors and TAs all refused to use trigger warnings on a campus that mandated them.

And frankly, the idea of "after a suicide, people are vehemently opposed to doing something others feel might have cleared their conscience better or might have made the situation less upsetting" is itself unlikely.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 4, 2016

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

this is a really weak cop-out that doesn't address any of the posts made against you and is basically an admission that you can't argue against them

which is pretty ironic given that you're accusing people who have challenged your posts as instead running away in fear

maybe it is, you, who lives, in, the, bubble? just, a thought

There's really no point in arguing with people who characterize any opposing view as hate speech. It's an intellectually weak argument that runs counter to the free exchange of open ideas and healthy debate that constitutes higher learning. Once you categorize a huge chunk of the countries beliefs as unworthy to even be discussed, any chance of rational discourse is out the window.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Every job I've ever worked at would have fire Milo before he ended his first day, so no, you're completely wrong on the idea they won't be prepared for work life.

Nah, the truth is sometimes Milo is the guy who runs the company.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

So you're of course equally incensed about Christian colleges, right?

Actually I am.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

I absolutely would. Because he is.

Now we're seeing the real fascism come out, I guess. I appreciate your honesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

There's really no point in arguing with people who characterize any opposing view as hate speech. It's an intellectually weak argument that runs counter to the free exchange of open ideas and healthy debate that constitutes higher learning. Once you categorize a huge chunk of the countries beliefs as unworthy to even be discussed, any chance of rational discourse is out the window.

Believing in an epidemic of people claiming to be raped for attention is not an opinion that can be discoursed with, as it is purely a facade meant to support rape and rapists. There's nothing to it, intellectually.

• Locked thread