Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

yogizh posted:

Except a password penetration testing bot with a full english dictionary text file.

Nuh uh it has 44 bits of entropy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

PC Master Race, mother Fucker.

pretty much

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Day Man posted:

I will let everyone know if anything comes from the BBB complaint (lol, that was the most middle-class white person thing I've ever done)

also the BBB is just some bullshit they can't do anything about it lmao

they're just the Yelp! of yesteryear, extorting companies into paying them.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

no, DOTA and twitch saved PC gaming.

its a sad truth

Dota was made by valve who also owns steam :confuoot:

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Quote-Unquote posted:

my password is correct horse battery staple

nobody would ever guess that!

yogizh posted:

Except a password penetration testing bot with a full english dictionary text file.

Exactly what yogizh said, it can immediately find that within 1 second (I'm not lying.) but if you have something legitimately hard, or some random garbled poo poo or have made something in a different language, then you've got a password that will genuinely take it a long time to guess.
It's not hard cracking passwords, really, especially if it's anything in the english language usually.

You can basically say, "If this word has been said at all by anyone in the western continent in a single day, it could easily be guessed."
The more random and garbled the password is, the harder it'll be to guess/bruteforce, the more complicated the password the more difficult the SHA1 will be.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when my brother worked for a big fancy law firm they gave him a little keychain attachment thing that had a 10 digit alphanumeric code on the screen and it constantly rotated (like every hour or something) - that was the password to work computer/network or whatever.

Seemed pretty fuckin' slick although idk what happens if you lose the keychain thingee.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

no, DOTA and twitch saved PC gaming.

its a sad truth

don't more people play overwatch on consoles than pc despite the fact its like blizzard's first game that could be played on a console?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Pc gaming is the best because I can use cheats install mods to make the game easier for my stupid babby brain more immersive
i installed tons of game mods on my jtagged 360

Jeff Sichoe posted:

i play strat games on pc and fps on console because quite honestly the thought of some human being playing with picmip 10 and brightness 1100 while i'm all max graphics and poo poo makes me sick
atari 2600 port of quake 3 is lookin good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUQqOMUY_28

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Poodge posted:

Exactly what yogizh said, it can immediately find that within 1 second (I'm not lying.) but if you have something legitimately hard, or some random garbled poo poo or have made something in a different language, then you've got a password that will genuinely take it a long time to guess.
It's not hard cracking passwords, really, especially if it's anything in the english language usually.

You can basically say, "If this word has been said at all by anyone in the western continent in a single day, it could easily be guessed."
The more random and garbled the password is, the harder it'll be to guess/bruteforce, the more complicated the password the more difficult the SHA1 will be.

you're forgetting about my 44 bits of entropy i thought you guys were smart

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Sony produced the movie "Suicide Squad"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It is really annoying seeing Sony shilling in Sony-made movies. Like in a Sony-made movie everyone is using a Vaio laptop. Bothers me in a "conflict of interest" kind of way lol

Poodge posted:

What if my password is something like f555g184c848, is that secure since the letters aren't words?

Also speaking of Sony hacks, my favorite thing from that huge Sony hack was people who hadn't even worked for Sony for 10 years had their personal medical information leaked online. I think it's great that your employer knows about your anal fissures and keeps it unsecured on their server, personally.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Bothers me in a "conflict of interest" kind of way lol
or alternatively too much the opposite of a conflict of interest

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Sorry to hear Sony customer support is as lovely as ever, some of their products are cool but they are apparently still incapable of backing them up and the rootkit debacle should never be forgiven.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

or alternatively too much the opposite of a conflict of interest

True but that's why I said "kind of way". I think because it's not even giving other companies a chance to give product placement for their lovely wares in Sony movies. Kind of like a lovely monopoly.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Also speaking of Sony hacks, my favorite thing from that huge Sony hack was people who hadn't even worked for Sony for 10 years had their personal medical information leaked online. I think it's great that your employer knows about your anal fissures and keeps it unsecured on their server, personally.

That is very puzzling. Additionally most big companies use a third part benefits provider, and who knows how they keep the information.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a Sony phone and the little sd card cover (a $7 OEM part) came off. I called customer support and they're like "we don't sell parts and our phones don't have warranty lol"
gently caress you Sony I just bought the part on eBay you assholes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hopefully Valve can hold off British Telecommunication's gently caress-them-in-the-rear end-lawsuit

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bedevere posted:

That is very puzzling. Additionally most big companies use a third part benefits provider, and who knows how they keep the information.

Not just their employees, but their children/dependents as well!

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/medical-records-exposed-massive-sony-hack

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I had a broken Sony Z3 compact phone, screen was cracked. I called them and explained I cracked it and I know it's not under warranty and I'd like to pay them to fix it. They said sure no problem and gave me an RMA number. Over the next 3 months I call them 4-5 times and no one can ever update me on the status. A week later I get the phone back with a letter saying it can not be fixed because the damage was caused by me. No loving poo poo, I told you that and that I was willing to pay to have it fixed. Thanks for having my phone for 3 months for no god drat reason. gently caress Sony.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I had a broken Sony Z3 compact phone, screen was cracked. I called them and explained I cracked it and I know it's not under warranty and I'd like to pay them to fix it. They said sure no problem and gave me an RMA number. Over the next 3 months I call them 4-5 times and no one can ever update me on the status. A week later I get the phone back with a letter saying it can not be fixed because the damage was caused by me. No loving poo poo, I told you that and that I was willing to pay to have it fixed. Thanks for having my phone for 3 months for no god drat reason. gently caress Sony.

Wow I wonder why nobody buys any of their garbage any more and they're doing horribly.

In all fairness I have the Sony a6000 and it's an absolutely amazing camera but I continuously get the sinking feeling that it's going to break any moment.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Congrats on having a lovely password OP, and probably reused with every single website you've ever signed up for.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Day Man posted:

gently caress Sony

Don't feel too bad, they're losing money in every single place EXCEPT the game division, so expect them to sell the Game Division to a new company and go bankrupt within the decade.

It is really annoying seeing Sony shilling in Sony-made movies. Like in a Sony-made movie everyone is using a Vaio laptop. Bothers me in a "conflict of interest" kind of way lol

Their product placement is particularly grating, I agree. Flop after flop, the best thing their movie division has actually done was license a character back to another studio, and that's pathetic.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 6, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Lowtax posted:

this is why I buy like a $100-200 phone so it can last about a year or two and then I just buy a new one when I invariably break it somehow

consumer culture i guess idk

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Sony used to be the poster boy for quality Japanese design, how far just 3 short decades can take us.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

this is why I buy like a $100-200 phone so it can last about a year or two and then I just buy a new one when I invariably break it somehow

Do you like flicking your 2" screen and waiting 30 seconds for the phone book to open up?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got an Xperia M4 for $150 on Newegg when it was on a half off sale a few weeks ago it's p good actually

sorry you've been bamboozled by marketing people into thinking you need an $800 piece of hardware to run your texting apps

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One time I left a DS Lite in my car and it melted. I called Nintendo and they sent me a new one for free despite my gross negligence.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nintendo is cool

they were probably glad you weren't going to sue them though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

Sony used to be the poster boy for quality Japanese design, how far just 3 short decades can take us.

Yep, I started noticing in around 2000, 2001 they started switching over to China and Singapore for manufacturing and everything they made went from "rock solid" to "horrible garbage".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can tell you that if you want to burn Xbox games on dual layer DVDs you wanna get the Verbatim discs from the SINGAPORE factory (not that other bullshit one). You can see on the bottom of the box where it was made.

The fail rates on the non-Singapore discs when burning that much data were easily 1 in 2.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

Don't feel too bad, they're losing money in every single place EXCEPT the game division, so expect them to sell the Game Division to a new company and go bankrupt within the decade.

The little section I work for is also profitable, which has prompted us to joke that we will be sold off any day now.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Moridin920 posted:

I can tell you that if you want to burn Xbox games on dual layer DVDs you wanna get the Verbatim discs from the SINGAPORE factory (not that other bullshit one). You can see on the bottom of the box where it was made.

The fail rates on the non-Singapore discs when burning that much data were easily 1 in 2.

Those god drat Sony Verbatim discs failing to burn my Sony Xbox games

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

Lol at anyone still doing this and not jtagging and putting in a 1tb hard drive

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

beedeebee posted:

Lmao, how greasy are your hands??

Not greasy at all, like I said I've never had this problem ever with any sort of electronic device

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lol at anyone still doing this and not jtagging and putting in a 1tb hard drive

jtagging is waaaaaay more involved than just flashing your disc drive though. I can flash the drive at home, jtagging is like you need actual tools and solder and poo poo, and sometimes it just fails and you've got a brick. iirc it is easier to get banned on Live too, you had to do a dual-boot thing.

I have a friend who made tons of money in college jtagging xboxes though. Tag's Jtags.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bedevere posted:

I work for them....

Can you fix my poo poo, then? I just need to deactivate all consoles on my account so I can set my ps4 back to primary instead of the hacker's ps4.

My password was considered strong by the little password rating thing that websites show when you make one up. The problem is, it was leaked by linked in, and I had reused it in a few places (not every single account, it was different than my banking, work, and SA). I also didn't know Sony had added the 2 level authentication, and hadn't turned it on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Day Man posted:

Can you fix my poo poo, then? I just need to deactivate all consoles on my account so I can set my ps4 back to primary instead of the hacker's ps4.

My password was considered strong by the little password rating thing that websites show when you make one up. The problem is, it was leaked by linked in, and I had reused it in a few places (not every single account, it was different than my banking, work, and SA). I also didn't know Sony had added the 2 level authentication, and hadn't turned it on.

nice thats middle management af

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

bring back old gbs posted:

nice thats middle management af

:nyd:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

jtagging is waaaaaay more involved than just flashing your disc drive though. I can flash the drive at home, jtagging is like you need actual tools and solder and poo poo, and sometimes it just fails and you've got a brick. iirc it is easier to get banned on Live too, you had to do a dual-boot thing.

I have a friend who made tons of money in college jtagging xboxes though. Tag's Jtags.

If you had a 360 on an older firmware it was really easy to jtag. And later DVD drives (I believe the lite on ones) required soldering to flash anyway. 360 drive flashing was one of the worst computer memories I have. It failed so many loving times, I had to use DOS, I had to use a special sata card to be compatible, you had to pray to the gods that it would work, there were numerous firmwares to choose from, etc. It was way worse than jtagging ever was. Plus with jtagging you could run your own dashboard and go back to the og blades style and get rid of that horrible avatar Windows 8 poo poo dashboard they replaced it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol and the psn network is down. Does Xbox live go down this many times? L

• Locked thread