Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Problem description: My computer has been freezing up for about 15-20 seconds at random times.
Sometimes it's while I'm browsing the internet, sometimes it's when I right click on something.
Once it unfreezes it quickly registers all the clicking and ctl-alt-deleting I've been doing really fast.
This has been going on for about a week.

Attempted fixes: Did a virus scan with avg
Did a malware scan with Ad aware
Rolled back to earlier Windows 10 build (didn't work and was forced to update again upon restarting)
Disabled link state power in power options

Recent changes: The only thing I can think of is a automatic mandatory Windows 10 update on 8/26

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: Acer TC-605, Intel core i5 - 4460, 4gb ram

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Run Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable zip) and post a screenshot for your system drive. If it shows Caution or Bad that means the drive is failing and will need to be replaced. If that looks fine, uninstall AVG, third-party antivirus programs cause system problems and make you more vulnerable to malware, the Microsoft provided tools provide good protection.

Also, to state the obvious, 4GB isn't enough RAM and you desperately need an upgrade. 8GB is the bare minimum.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Thanks for replying so quickly on a long weekend Alereon! Here is what Crystal disk info shows:

I'm going to go uninstall AVG.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Ok, I went ahead and got more ram and I think that got it. Thank you very much Alereon! I'm kinda curious as to what triggered the freezing in the first place since this pc had been running fine for over a year on 4 gigs and nothing significant had changed about it. I'm just glad it's fixed though. Thanks again mate!

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
The Windows 10 Anniversary update has been causing a lot of issues like this. If it continues in the future, you may have to roll back to the previous update until there's a more permanent solution.

• Locked thread