Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Spider-Man Games!
Gameplay spoilers are fine if they're tagged, no story spoilers though.

Spider-Man videogames are my favorite videogames. I've never had more fun or been more excited for videogames than these. Many of these games are everything a licensed product should strive to be! They make use of the character's unique abilities, tell stories that stay faithful to the themes and tone of the source material, and are just generally more high quality than they have any right to be. With the semi-recent announcement of a new Spider-Man for PS4, I thought now was a good time to show the off exactly how amazing the new game has the potential to be!

Why are we here?

Mostly so I can the Spider-Man videogames with you! The 3d ones are my favorite, but I'll be sure to cover the interesting 2D titles as well. I'm really excited about this in case that's not clear.

What's the agenda specifically?

Here's a handy list, in no particular order

-Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
-Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
-Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
-Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
-Spider-Man: The Movie Game
-Spider-Man 2 (for PS2)
-Spider-Man 3 (for PS3)
-Ultimate Spider-Man
-Amazing Spider-Man
-Amazing Spider-Man 2

We'll also look at some of the 2D games in-between. (There's a lot of those.)

Hey, haven't you played a few already?

I previously completed Let's Plays of:

-Edge of Time
-Spider-Man 2000
Spider-Man: Enter Electro
-Spider-Man Amazing Allies
-Spider-Man 3 for the PS2
-Spider-Man 2 for the PC
-Spider-Man: The Movie Game

Are contributions allowed?

Sure thing, but that doesn't guarantee I won't try to play something you do too!

Most recent update:

Extras

Spider-Man: Sinister Six

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro

Enter Electro is the direct sequel to the critically and consumer-acclaimed Spider-Man 2000. That was the action game to own for your PlayStation home entertainment system, and it set the standard for nearly every Spider-Man game to come. So how does Enter Electro intend to improve on that? In a lot of ways, actually!

Firstly, the game is far and away more difficult than its predecessor. Enemies are more aggressive, placed in more challenging positions, and in many cases more numerous. The bosses are ridiculously tough as well, and figuring out their gimmicks and weaknesses isn't a guaranteed victory. While the first game encouraged playing smart and approaching each situation carefully, in many levels Enter Electro absolutely requires it, unless you want to end up as Spider-Stew.

Secondly, there's a greater emphasis on all of the design principles from the first game. Combat has had a few minor refinements to be sure, but the higher demand for stealth immediately comes to mind. If there's something you had to do "sometimes" in the original game, expect to do it a lot more here.

Finally, level-specific gimmicks everywhere. Now, when I say gimmick, I mean that in the best way possible. To ensure variety, countless locations you visit have some sort of unexpected or harrowing challenge. This includes tracking down thugs to stop a bomb that's about to take out a whole city block, or frantically webbing up an airplane before it can crash into nearby objects in the hanger. It's tense, and it's nerve-wracking, and I love it.

The game is memorable, fun, challenging, and I would consider it to be Vicarious Vision's masterpiece.

Videos

The End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 25, 2016

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Hey its'a old Stan here, Good luck with the Spidey Mega thread, I bet there will be many thrills and surprises for fans of the web-slinger!

The lighting seems to have been improved since the last game, quite a nice sunset going on in the tutorial level.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
:five:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

wowzers that voice work

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dander My DOSDruid posted:

Hey its'a old Stan here, Good luck with the Spidey Mega thread, I bet there will be many thrills and surprises for fans of the web-slinger!

The lighting seems to have been improved since the last game, quite a nice sunset going on in the tutorial level.

Turns out technology and/or budget progressed a lot in one year.

I'm flattered.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw yeah, Spider-Man! I'm in.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This time we start the game proper, and learn more about the game design than the tutorial could teach us

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I loved this game back in the day. Crazy amount of variation in the gameplay, and it used vertical space really well.

But I never understood what the difference between Electro and Shocker is and why the latter isn't the big bad in this game considering he has the marginally less ridiculous outfit. Electro is some trash-tier fodder-looking dude from the jump.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

I loved this game back in the day. Crazy amount of variation in the gameplay, and it used vertical space really well.

But I never understood what the difference between Electro and Shocker is and why the latter isn't the big bad in this game considering he has the marginally less ridiculous outfit. Electro is some trash-tier fodder-looking dude from the jump.

The Shocker's powers actually aren't electrical. They're seismic. Concentrated airblasts vibrating at high frequency to cause all sorts of nasty tremors, even worse if it hits a human body. He's Shocker in the sense of an "Aftershock", not an electric jolt. The distinction confused me as a kid too. It doesn't help that the developer thought he had electric powers too or something? Spidey makes a quip about "electrician school".

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

The Shocker's powers actually aren't electrical. They're seismic. Concentrated airblasts vibrating at high frequency to cause all sorts of nasty tremors, even worse if it hits a human body. He's Shocker in the sense of an "Aftershock", not an electric jolt. The distinction confused me as a kid too. It doesn't help that the developer thought he had electric powers too or something? Spidey makes a quip about "electrician school".

See I've only ever seen him in this game and nowhere else other than random artwork. They should have called him Fracker.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

See I've only ever seen him in this game and nowhere else other than random artwork. They should have called him Fracker.

I like The Seismaster

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

I like The Seismaster

Considering his contribution to the game was but a minor tremor, I see some fault in calling him a 'master'. Points for being the only superpowered character to have a quilted mask, though!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

Considering his contribution to the game was but a minor tremor, I see some fault in calling him a 'master'. Points for being the only superpowered character to have a quilted mask, though!

The quilt mask is actually functional too, unlike whatever Electro is wearing.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Did... did Spider-Man just deny being Batman at the end there?

Meanwhile, I was totally unfamiliar with this game and its prequel so I just marathoned the Spiderman 2000 LP and caught up with this one.

Good stuff. I love licensed games that actually take the license as a responsibility as opposed to an excuse to cash in on something else. My previous standard was the PS2-era LotR brawlers, with unlockables like "Watch Ian McKellan totally fail to interact with a Dual Shock Controller". It'll be interesting to see how these go.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManxomeBromide posted:

Good stuff. I love licensed games that actually take the license as a responsibility as opposed to an excuse to cash in on something else. My previous standard was the PS2-era LotR brawlers, with unlockables like "Watch Ian McKellan totally fail to interact with a Dual Shock Controller". It'll be interesting to see how these go.

Spider-Man games (at least the 3D ones) have always gotten developers who genuinely cared about creating a game that makes good use of the license. Looks like they knew the great power of translating the web-head to a new medium required great responsibility. Few other licensed material has had a consistent run of good games like that.

How were the LoTR games on PS2? I have vague memories of Two Towers but not much else.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Spider-Man games (at least the 3D ones) have always gotten developers who genuinely cared about creating a game that makes good use of the license. Looks like they knew the great power of translating the web-head to a new medium required great responsibility. Few other licensed material has had a consistent run of good games like that.

Except Spider-Man 2 for PC

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

Except Spider-Man 2 for PC

We ignore that one because it breaks the rule.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

How were the LoTR games on PS2? I have vague memories of Two Towers but not much else.

The games themselves were honestly relatively forgettable, but they (and Two Towers in particular) were competent enough action-brawler games, with simple but workable versions a lot of the standard mechanics. Very little worth showing off, but I know of at least one case where it served as training wheels for someone who went on to start SS-ranking every stage in Devil May Cry, so it clearly was very solid training.

Where it shined was actually as a tie-in, and it managed it more deftly than I've seen anywhere else. The games came out slightly before the movie and included teaser footage that both wasn't in any trailers at the time and wasn't hugely out of place in the game. Unlockables included interviews with the movie actors (who were reprising their voices for the game, which varied from Just Another Job for John Rhys-Davies to HOLY CRAP HOW COOL IS THIS for Elijah Wood) and some making-of documentary stuff that was also fun because that's what the bonus materials for the films were, too.

The funniest part was that they also filmed the actors playing beta versions of the game, and, well, let's just say that Mr. Wood was the only member of the cast that clearly grew up playing video games.

ETA: The part that was interesting was that it did superbly at all the things that usually make licensed games soulless cash-ins, without compromising the, well, soulless cash-in part. Even the simple but polished gameplay can be put in this vein - they made a game that's fun enough to play while primarily being maximally accessible. What Two Towers did for me was give me a new scale for grading that as its own axis, and proved that compromises in service of this axis didn't have to make the game actually bad.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 7, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The game I'm most looking forward to is Web of Shadows because I was enjoying it until the halfway point. There is a bullshit mission where you have to (gameplay spoiler for WoS)get civillians to an vehicle while defending the vehicle from enemies, but the enemies are constantly spawning instead of coming in waves, so when you og for the civvies the vehicle will be taking damage. I'm looking forward to seeing how to do that. (If this is too much let me know and I'll edit the post, there isn't a spoiler policy in this thread yet)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManxomeBromide posted:

A lot of words were here.

Thanks! That's actually a way more informative response than I expected. Did you also play the Fellowship game?

BioEnchanted posted:

The game I'm most looking forward to is Web of Shadows because I was enjoying it until the halfway point. There is a bullshit mission where you have to (gameplay spoiler for WoS)get civillians to an vehicle while defending the vehicle from enemies, but the enemies are constantly spawning instead of coming in waves, so when you og for the civvies the vehicle will be taking damage. I'm looking forward to seeing how to do that. (If this is too much let me know and I'll edit the post, there isn't a spoiler policy in this thread yet)

Gameplay spoilers are fine if they're tagged, no story spoilers though. I'll add that to the OP.

I get a lot of "how are you even supposed to" in regards to Spider-Man games, which I guess may be a good or bad thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I guess I've gotta bookmark this thread now, because I've recently become a stupid comic book nerd and christianed myself by reading the first two dozen or so Spider-Man comics from the 1960s. I can honestly see how the web slinger became so popular: his comics have surprisingly mature writing and characters despite the Comics Code, and there's actually somewhat of a sense of progression with relationships and characterization that defies just keeping to a status quo with regular self-contained adventures.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Spider-Man games? Who would want to play as a nerd who shoots sticky stuff at people? :gonk:

I loved the Spider-Man 2000 game, got all unlockables and the What If? mode. Never got around to playing the sequel. And yes, the best part is hearing Stan Lee narrating :allears:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I played Spider-Man 2000 on the N64 when it came out and it was totally awesome. I haven't dabbled in any of the other games though so this is awesome to see. I know this sounds odd, but could you either leave in a little bit of the upgrades menu for later games or at least tell us what you've picked up between cuts? It's not for everyone, but I personally like watching light menu work in games.

I want back though your older Spider-Man LPs and it seems that honestly most of the games have been pretty good. I couldn't make it through more than an episode or so of Spider-Man 2 for PC though. Nothing on you but holy crap is that game so bad. You can feel the awful right through the screen. I think I gave up when you Spider Sense dodge the Rhino and it they just copy and paste the dodge from the tutorial. I decided I'd seen all the game had to offer and moved on.

I also played a few of the LoTR games mentioned and can confirm basically everything Bromide said. Although I think I hit a wall in Two Towers near the end? I just remember a sudden and unpleasant difficulty spike.

To chime in on other licensed games that are worth it I have to say Mad Max was fantastic if a little repetitive at times (aka an open world game). Some of the X-men and Marvel action RPGs are pretty fun, but also pretty hard to find now from what I remember. The Scott Pilgrim game on PSN and Live was also good, I assume even better if you like Scott Pilgrim at all. Oh and Arkaham Asylum et al.

Comedy Answers: Star Wars, Tony Hawk pre PS3.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 8, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I guess I've gotta bookmark this thread now, because I've recently become a stupid comic book nerd and christianed myself by reading the first two dozen or so Spider-Man comics from the 1960s. I can honestly see how the web slinger became so popular: his comics have surprisingly mature writing and characters despite the Comics Code, and there's actually somewhat of a sense of progression with relationships and characterization that defies just keeping to a status quo with regular self-contained adventures.

I know right? As far as superhero comics go, Spider-Man has had a solid theme and solid characters since his inception. It's a shame about some of the later (2000 era) comics, but you couldn't ask for a much better base for a superhero.

Kal-L posted:

Spider-Man games? Who would want to play as a nerd who shoots sticky stuff at people? :gonk:

I loved the Spider-Man 2000 game, got all unlockables and the What If? mode. Never got around to playing the sequel. And yes, the best part is hearing Stan Lee narrating :allears:

The sequel is a very different game, but also recognizable for trying to progress the first's game mechanics.

Zushio posted:

I played Spider-Man 2000 on the N64 when it came out and it was totally awesome. I haven't dabbled in any of the other games though so this is awesome to see. I know this sounds odd, but could you either leave in a little bit of the upgrades menu for later games or at least tell us what you've picked up between cuts? It's not for everyone, but I personally like watching light menu work in games.

I want back though your older Spider-Man LPs and it seems that honestly most of the games have been pretty good. I couldn't make it through more than an episode or so of Spider-Man 2 for PC though. Nothing on you but holy crap is that game so bad. You can feel the awful right through the screen. I think I gave up when you Spider Sense dodge the Rhino and it they just copy and paste the dodge from the tutorial. I decided I'd seen all the game had to offer and moved on.

I also played a few of the LoTR games mentioned and can confirm basically everything Bromide said. Although I think I hit a wall in Two Towers near the end? I just remember a sudden and unpleasant difficulty spike.

To chime in on other licensed games that are worth it I have to say Mad Max was fantastic if a little repetitive at times (aka an open world game). Some of the X-men and Marvel action RPGs are pretty fun, but also pretty hard to find now from what I remember. The Scott Pilgrim game on PSN and Live was also good, I assume even better if you like Scott Pilgrim at all. Oh and Arkaham Asylum et al.

Comedy Answers: Star Wars, Tony Hawk pre PS3.

I plan to leave the upgrades menu in for any of the titles with upgrades, like I did for Edge of Time and Spider-Man 3 on PS2 (I think).

Spider-Man 2 on PC was bizarre and maybe made by people who had only vaguely heard of Spider-Man.

I'm a big fan of beat 'em ups, and I'm glad I got the Scott Pilgrim title while I could (it's been de-listed). I remember quite a few of the Star Wars games being great! Especially Battlefront and the vehicle combat sims.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The plane has landed

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This was the level I got stuck on when I tried to play this game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

This was the level I got stuck on when I tried to play this game.

I hear that a lot

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward the most to Ultimate Spider Man, myself. Peter's voice actor is godawful, but if I recall, that game has some nice cell-shading for a 2005 PS2 game and added some stuff to the Spider Man 2 formula.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GoneRampant posted:

I'm looking forward the most to Ultimate Spider Man, myself. Peter's voice actor is godawful, but if I recall, that game has some nice cell-shading for a 2005 PS2 game and added some stuff to the Spider Man 2 formula.

All the 3d Spider-Man games (besides Spider-Man 2 for PC) build on the previous ones, it's pretty sweet.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

GoneRampant posted:

I don't remember Peter's VA in Ultimate Spider-Man being bad. I have certainly heard worse in more widely cherished games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stealth! Action! Sand!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Sweet. I've only ever really had 3 Spider-Man games, but I thought all 3 of them were pretty good. 2000, Ultimate, and Web of Shadows. Ultimate in particular is probably one of my favorite Gamecube games ever.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Sweet. I've only ever really had 3 Spider-Man games, but I thought all 3 of them were pretty good. 2000, Ultimate, and Web of Shadows. Ultimate in particular is probably one of my favorite Gamecube games ever.

What console did you own 2000 for?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

What console did you own 2000 for?

PS1 actually. Odd since Ultimate was on GCN and Web of Shadows was on Wii. I had a lot of Nintendo consoles as a youth.

Side note on the topic of Enter Electro: I've never liked the armpit web look for Spidey. I don't even really know why, I just don't.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

PS1 actually. Odd since Ultimate was on GCN and Web of Shadows was on Wii. I had a lot of Nintendo consoles as a youth.

Side note on the topic of Enter Electro: I've never liked the armpit web look for Spidey. I don't even really know why, I just don't.

It's always interesting to hear which version people played.

The web-armpits mostly appear in the older comics, it's a strange choice to include it here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's always interesting to hear which version people played.

The web-armpits mostly appear in the older comics, it's a strange choice to include it here.

I was trying to find exactly where the webbing disappeared in the comics, but I'm having no luck. Even in the old comics it wasn't consistently drawn in. They probably deleted them because Spider-Man is basically a generic mannequin shape with texturing without them, so you can draw him in whatever pose you want without really risking going off-model.

Spider-Man 2000 was definitely better on the PS1. The N64 version didn't have room for the cutscenes, so you had to deal with comic book panels made up of screenshots of the cutscenes with the audio over it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Spider-Man 2000 was definitely better on the PS1. The N64 version didn't have room for the cutscenes, so you had to deal with comic book panels made up of screenshots of the cutscenes with the audio over it.

I think the 64 version had sharper graphics in-game (and gave Spidey an actual shadow instead of a white dot), but the cutscenes were so poorly handled that they were actually difficult to follow.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Enthusiasms... enthusiasms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Incompetent robot design

• Locked thread