Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my blade must taste blood every time its drawn to appease the spirits within

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

The only people who have any business carrying them are people who are actually using it for their job where no better tools are available, or as part of an outdoors activity. Otherwise it's like hauling around your computer everywhere on the off chance someone asks you to calculate something for them.

Even with real tools around, something like a Leatherman is useful for getting a job started far enough for me to see what tools I need to go get from my toolbox.

I carry the full tactical dork suite of a knife, multitool, lighter, and flashlight, and they all come in handy at least a couple of times I week. It's not like I couldn't survive without them, but it saves a hell of a lot of walking around the house to get basic tools. Carrying around something like a Swisschamp while not camping would be dumb, but an ordinary sized pocket knife is not cumbersome to carry at all for how handy it is.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
i used to carry a pocket knife around but then got paranoid that all the resin left on it from scraping out my bong was gonna be what they call in the biz a "tell"

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Things I've used my knife for in the past few months:
Eating lunch
Cutting lines
Mending a bench
Mending eisenglass
Opening misc stuff
Poking a big bug
Feeding a depressed honey bee
Flashlight attachment
Scraping rust/gunk off something before repairs
Sharpening pencils
Fixing a number clicker

Probably some other stuff. Not working in an office is nice.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Theokotos posted:

Things I've used my knife for in the past few months:
Eating lunch
Poking a big bug
Scraping rust/gunk off something before repairs

Please lie and say you wash it between these tasks.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

12gaugelobotomy posted:

You forget what forums you post on.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I found an old pocketknife keychain thing and put it on my work keys last week. It has already come in handy for a) cutting medical tape because the dispenser sucks and can't cut the tape and b) a makeshift screwdriver. The blade is like an inch long and I doubt you could kill anything with it. Maybe a frog but im not going to stab a frog

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

H.H posted:

You forget what forums you post on.

I thought maybe just this once... just once... maybe we could have a goon not have the painful bloody shits this month?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I've just never found a knife to be as good at breaking down boxes as a razor.

Blade thickness has a lot to do with it, that and the knife is never as sharp as a razor and needs to be resharpened as often as you would just switch out razor blades.

I do have a use for a multi tool/swiss army knife but just a straight knife? You know office apple peeling guy just does it because of how it looks to use a knife to peel an apple, which is both terrible on the knife, unsanitary (since he said he also cut boxes with it and probably isn't cleaning it between tasks) and a thin blade paring knife would work way better.

The best tool for opening boxes is the humble "jaggiest key on the keychain"

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

I "never forget" to carry my pocket knife

"Eat the eggs Smash Mouf or else"
\

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How do you slash people's tires who piss you off if you don't carry a knife?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Pick one.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

12gaugelobotomy posted:

lol @ this dude omg some rust and bug guts gonna kill hime when combined with pastrami and rye??

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

I carry a boxcutter at work and I can pull it out, cut open the box without cutting too deep and damaging the contents, and stow the cutter back in my pocket with my eyes closed all the while. I cut my hand much less than half of the times that I perform this. I think I cut my hand more often when I'm looking at what I'm doing.

I haven't actually worked at the warehouse in years but whenever I go there to check something out (like "does this box that's been sitting here for a week contain the very urgent stuff I ordered last month?") I just take my key, score the the tape with it, and viola I can open the box pretty darn easily! I guess I could do it with my eyes closed but then I'd have to open them anyway to see what was inside said box.

e: I mean back when I worked there I did carry a knife (at work) but now I wish I hadn't because I could've done without it and it also kept falling out of my pocket all the time.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lmao everyone has built-in knives for eating apples, they're called teeth. Oh hang on, gotta peel a banana, where's my can-opener?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buck Turgidson posted:

lmao everyone has built-in knives for eating apples, they're called teeth. Oh hang on, gotta peel a banana, where's my can-opener?

"Help SOS my hand doesn't fit inside a Pringles tube how am I supposed to get them out of the tube I mean it's not like I can tilt it and let gravity do the work" - People on the Internet (who probably also carry knives around), 2000-2016

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JB50 posted:

Pick one.

Mods please change my name to Combat Troon

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Knives are good for prying (which nobody will do with their $148 knife)

Knives are actually not good for prying unless you want to damage your knife. Use the right tool for the job.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

blugu64 posted:

Knives are actually not good for prying unless you want to damage your knife. Use the right tool for the job.

Yeah I use sodium thiopental.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

Real men carry a hatchet

We got you covered! Now a days all the best survival tools come in credit card form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L26b_VDRxDw

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

blugu64 posted:

Relative to a razor blade knife. Im not talking about using it like a crowbar, but the prying motion is available with a knife when it is not with with a razor. But yes, using a knife for realsies can wear out a knife

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FrankieGoes posted:

What was his name?

This is the folding knife of jokes because you think you can use it in a lot of situations and it's going to make you look really cool.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

General Dog posted:

Real men carry a hatchet

:captainpop:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
if any of you want a useful cutting thing in your pocket but dont want to be a knife dweeb, here ya go

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Lite-Pocket-Knife-31-000345/dp/B002RILCLY/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SASX0QHJW42YJY0W3357

a million times better. $8

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

if any of you want a useful cutting thing in your pocket but dont want to be a knife dweeb, here ya go

http://www.taiter.fi/hukari.html

a million times better. $8

Looks like a knife to me.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Salt Fish posted:

This is the folding knife of jokes because you think you can use it in a lot of situations and it's going to make you look really cool.

'what was his name' is an ancient stock line for a reason, it is still funny, please apologize to that man for comparing him to a chinese stainless steel knife

also im sad my picture did not get any discussion going about how 20 dollar factory steel from sweden is significantly better than even a 50 dollar switchblade from chinese stainless steel

i was hoping at least even one of the leatherman guys would ask me 'wat the fuk is that sheath!!' then i'd explain the uses of birch bark, specifically betula papyrifera

i'm losing strength..i can't...make people...stop buying stuff ..from chiner..

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

also im sad my picture did not get any discussion going about how 20 dollar factory steel from sweden is significantly better than even a 50 dollar switchblade from chinese stainless steel

Can you repost the 20$ Swedish knife because I haven't seen it the first time and it sounds interesting

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i have a mora that i sometimes use for gardening type stuff and it is indeed a very good knife for the money, it's comfy and easy to sharpen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i have a mora that i sometimes use for gardening type stuff and it is indeed a very good knife for the money, it's comfy and easy to sharpen

Moras are puukkos one never actually buys, they just magically appear in any tool box. I just checked and I have three.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i always take my briefcase with me wherever i go

makes taking care of "business" a lot more convenient

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

i always take my briefcase with me wherever i go

makes taking care of "business" a lot more convenient

Someone put a gun in your briefcase. But I think there's still room for you to do your "business" unless you haven't gone for like a week.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Listen up, spittoons. Quality is better than quantity here. Don't collect a bunch of lipstick red Chinese knives plastered with dragons and quasi-martial arts imagery.* Get yourself at least one heirloom quality Case USA :911: knife and then, if you still want them (you won't) load up on the commoditized truck stop garbage knives. Ask Schrade owners what they think about product quality since the NY plant closed down in 2004. There is no comparison.

* to be fair, you can get a Case knife plastered with just about anything, including Johnny Cash. However, I believe he's cooler than a dragon and has higher resale value.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Marv Hushman posted:

Listen up, spittoons. Quality is better than quantity here. Don't collect a bunch of lipstick red Chinese knives plastered with dragons and quasi-martial arts imagery.* Get yourself at least one heirloom quality Case USA :911: knife and then, if you still want them (you won't) load up on the commoditized truck stop garbage knives. Ask Schrade owners what they think about product quality since the NY plant closed down in 2004. There is no comparison.

* to be fair, you can get a Case knife plastered with just about anything, including Johnny Cash. However, I believe he's cooler than a dragon and has higher resale value.

Source your quotes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

The problem is actually that a bunch of stereotypical goons who sit in front of a computer at an office job all day are play-acting at being a manly man who needs tools at the ready 24/7 "just in case", jumping at every opportunity to bust it out. Like the type of person seeing you about to open a box with scissors and jumps up and says "WAIT! use this instead!" and then posts on the internet about how they "need" it every day. All the examples people are coming up with like opening boxes, tightening chair screws (as if that's something you have to do, like, ever), cutting an apple...all of those things you can do very easily with tools that are almost certainly laying around somewhere at any typical office/whatever without needing a 500 tools in 1 device.

The only people who have any business carrying them are people who are actually using it for their job where no better tools are available, or as part of an outdoors activity. Otherwise it's like hauling around your computer everywhere on the off chance someone asks you to calculate something for them.

So you work from home?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Even though Case knives are still made in the USA, their quality control went down quite a bit when Zippo bought them out. :(

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

how many weapons cases do i have to open before i get a factory new butterfly knife

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

how many weapons cases do i have to open before i get a factory new butterfly knife
you could just trade for my FN Butterfly Knife | Slaughter, 0.01 float with angel pattern on bs, partial zebra on ps, asking 200 keys :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fauxtool posted:

why do you carry 5 knives?
I really like CRKT stuff, good value and a broad catalog. The swindle is my favorite

I carry this

Its almost 4 inches and automatic, much like my dick
I like that it doesnt have a safety because im an adult that can cut myself on accident as much as i want

all 5 add up to one benchmade if you are looking at dollars :v:

my wife has a kershaw scallion and it is a super fine a+ Civilized Person Pocket Knife.

• Locked thread