Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have no kitchen knives so when I need to chop a vegetable I reach in my pocket, - tchlink - and done, I really got used to it over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I used to keep a Lil Guppie on my key chain, but then I realized that I don't need a knife at home because I have a bunch of Exacto-knives box cutters and a multi-tool. I don't need one in my car because I keep a Leatherman there that I never use. So I pulled it off my key chain and left it at work where I haven't used it once aside from fiddling idly with the wrench adjustment when I'm bored.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vols bitch posted:

i leave my pocket knife in my truck usually

so its more a truck knife than a pocket knife

Do you at least keep it in the door pocket

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blue Train posted:

get one of these they own and are cheap enough that it doesn't matter if you lose it or gently caress it up

https://www.amazon.com/Sanrenmu-7010LUC-SA-Pocket-Folding-Knife/dp/B00GMMPIK2

Thanks I also bought a mechanic's magnet because that's another thing that everyone who ever uses tools should own but I don't

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I have a knife thaty's extremely inconvenient to open and I keep the edge razor sharp and don't want it to get dulled so I never use it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

spud posted:

I take it camping with me but no way am I carrying it day to day because :britain:

I thought that pocket knives were okay to have as long as they were non-locking and small. Or is it one of those deals where it's up to the cop's "discretion" and you can get in trouble whether you're breaking the law or not?

In case you ever need to replace it or whatever, they still make the Swisschamp with regular solid red handle scales. They've started making them with hardwood, too. :eyepop:

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
I just looked up the Finnish laws regarding knives in FINLEX and Jesus Christ, basically *everything* is illegal to carry and even keep in your car here, punishable by a range from fines to two years of prison.

http://www.finlex.fi/sv/laki/ajantasa/2003/20030612#L3 -- (§9-13)
http://www.finlex.fi/sv/laki/ajantasa/1889/18890039001#L41 -- (§4-6)

(links in swedish laguage, but all the Finn goons speak Swedish too, right?) :cheeky:

I've got an axe, a saw and a multitool with a knife in the trunk of my car. I wonder what they'd say about that if I get pulled over and checked?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I carry one outside on occasion but the only thing I've ever really used it for is to cut salami while hiking and occasionally bags of cement when someone's taken my Stanley knife

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Trying to attack someone with a Swiss Army Knife type pocket knife would probably end with the blade folding on your own hand...

you can get the same victorinox swiss army knife that is actual issue for the german army for like 45 bucks, the knife has a pretty sturdy liner lock to avoid the thing you are worried about, bottle opener, flat and phillips head screwdriver, etc. the blade has a thumb hole for a quick but legal, and not retarded or used for tricks open. my only complaint about it in maybe 5 years is that the saw has no liner lock but the bottler opener does, i wish i was kidding, i do hand tool woodcarving so the saw is the only tiny little saw i have on me when hiking usually, so if i see a spoon sized tree limb blown over in a storm it's actually really useful for harvesting wood of a small size (if you're used to it and don't fold it on your hand because it has no liner lock)

aside from that all purpose tool, i think any knife that does not have a fixed blade is almost guaranteed to be an overpriced, stupid item of fetish or paranoia, status, etc. most of these knives like butterfly knives and switch blades and stuff will never see any use that could not be done by growing some fingernails, and sadly a big percent of the use they might finally see a single time? stabbing someone needlessly or getting yourself shot

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
what's this about needing a knife to slice an apple? god designed them so that it's easy to eat as is, no tools needed

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
cargo shorts are a good way to be prepared ive noticed. when i stop by michaels for clay and lil puppy stamps and paint I have to walk by golden corral and they have so many things that fit in cargo pockets and on the way home I don't have to use my hands to carry anything not even the clay or the fried drumsticks or corn muffins leaving me free to use my hands to take pictures of food I find on the sidewalk all mushed up and steppes on/run over and rotting for a lil exhibit I'm workin on called "food for thot"

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

JonathonSpectre posted:

Everyone should carry a pocketknife and a cigarette lighter with them pretty much 100% of the time.

Sometimes you need to cut something. Sometimes you need to make fire.

29 DOLLARS OF SECRETS THAT BIG CHINER DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!! WALMARTS HATE 'EM, LOCAL MAN CAN START FIRES AND CARVE STUFF FOR TEN YEARS ON 29 DOLLARS TOTAL!!

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I just have one of these on my keychain, pretty useful working at a grocery store. It cuts tape pretty good, but not as well as a box cutter.

Sierra Nevadan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 5, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This thread made me check my parents couch and I've found my mini griptilian that's been missing for months, thanks thread. Love that little knife

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
actually just keep a multitool in your truck instead of carrying around a knife like a weird idiot

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I have a Gerber EAB and use it virtually every day. And a Leatherman Wave that I also use virtually every day. But I am a Mechanical Engineer, not an IT person. The Leatherman is nearly 20 years old, and has a lifetime guarantee.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.
I carry a pocketknife because I find it useful when I need it.
I pretty much ignore it when I don't.
I cut my apples up because I like to see the worm before I eat it, and also I am not a horse.

I've done this since I got my Totin' Chip in scouts thirty five years ago when I was ten.

So that's my knife story.

Also, good lord Britain, what's going on that you people can't carry pocketknives?

naem
May 29, 2011

I've always liked outdoorsy stuff and camping and being prepared for um emergencies etc, I don't know how much I like the recent Internet prep spurg trend

It's like a bunch of really weird bad people I wouldn't associate with voluntarily are super into this thing I've always done and made it an embarrassing/expensive hobby

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

extra stout posted:

29 DOLLARS OF SECRETS THAT BIG CHINER DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!! WALMARTS HATE 'EM, LOCAL MAN CAN START FIRES AND CARVE STUFF FOR TEN YEARS ON 29 DOLLARS TOTAL!!

Lol if you can't construct a fire bow in seconds, and have a blazing hot fire within a minute. The old ways are the best ways, ya know?
That's why I am posting this purely by speaking, having my secretary put it into the Teletype model 33, and Lowtax does the opposite over in the US and his secretary posts it for me.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

sassassin posted:

Why do people use knives to eat apples?

Bet they pull it out to eat pizza, too.

Before pocket knives everyone would just stand around with apples in their hands shrugging at each other as they starved.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

I carry a pocketknife because I find it useful when I need it.
I pretty much ignore it when I don't.
I cut my apples up because I like to see the worm before I eat it, and also I am not a horse.

I've done this since I got my Totin' Chip in scouts thirty five years ago when I was ten.

So that's my knife story.

Also, good lord Britain, what's going on that you people can't carry pocketknives?

We don't need them as we don't fantasise that we're cowboys out on the range on the 30 foot walk from air conditioned car to air conditioned office building.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

I've always liked outdoorsy stuff and camping and being prepared for um emergencies etc, I don't know how much I like the recent Internet prep spurg trend

It's like a bunch of really weird bad people I wouldn't associate with voluntarily are super into this thing I've always done and made it an embarrassing/expensive hobby

You're the girl with flares protein bars and a collapsible shovel in her trunk iirc

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sassassin posted:

We don't need them as we don't fantasise that we're cowboys out on the range on the 30 foot walk from air conditioned car to air conditioned office building.

:chloe:

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

lol

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It's small and cool and made in the usa man

naem
May 29, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

You're the girl with flares protein bars and a collapsible shovel in her trunk iirc

I dated her in college

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ohnonotme posted:

Lol if you can't construct a fire bow in seconds, and have a blazing hot fire within a minute. The old ways are the best ways, ya know?
That's why I am posting this purely by speaking, having my secretary put it into the Teletype model 33, and Lowtax does the opposite over in the US and his secretary posts it for me.

i probably can construct a firebow that quickly but i do not have an exact time as i tell time via the sun and moon, and do not live in a region with fine enough sand to make an hourglass

i would barter for one, but most people take a glance at me and seem to find me unattractive to barter with

im unbarterable

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

all the people i've met that carry around knives in their pocket were kinda weird

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

sassassin posted:

Only in England could a 'cowboy fantasy' involve pocketknives.
"Durnit, Jed, time for afternoon brewup and I cain't git the char open with these here weak wrists."
"Quit yer bellyachin Edmund. I got me scissies right here on me Victorinox. Now git to work on them jammy dodgers."

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Space cash posted:

all the people i've met that really really want you to know that they carry around knives in their pocket were kinda weird

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
these pocket knives are hella sick IMO

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i carry around a replica Karambit | Fade from Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to make me feel better about having a small penis and no friends

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
I have this

And this

Both are useful and fun to have.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Leatherman Micras are super good. I have a bunch of different pocket knives that I rotate through, but the Micra rides in my watch pocket 100% of the time.

naem
May 29, 2011

Tony Homo posted:

If you live in California the most you can carry is a knife the length of a toothpick

This is not true FYI

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

naem posted:

This is not true FYI

it sounds true to me californians dont even get to carry water lmao

edit

i just did some research to back this up, and found that article where tom selleck was arrested!!! for holdin'.

guns? no, he had water

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 5, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought nearly all of those "knives this long are illegal" were only if you're committing some other crime. So like walking around with a buck knife on your belt = ok. Walking around with a buck knife on your belt while breaking into a house = bad.

naem
May 29, 2011

extra stout posted:

it sounds true to me californians dont even get to carry water lmao

edit

i just did some research to back this up, and found that article where tom selleck was arrested!!! for holdin'.

guns? no, he had water

It's actually legal to carry a big crocodile Dundee knife as long as you wear it openly on your belt.

You can carry a pocket knife of any length as long as it's hidden (in your pocket)

LA has some knife blade length restrictions but those exist mainly as a way to tack on extra charges to various drug dealer/criminal types

Nunchucks are illegal though, unless you're a cop in which case they are mandatory

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

she looks like she likes that, I'm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Biomute posted:

Carrying a knife everywhere was a big deal to me between the age of 15 and 21. It magically went away once I finally got laid.

What was his name?

• Locked thread