Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
NEW OP

The resistance against the Dakota Access Pipeline began in the spring of 2016 in reaction to the approved construction of Energy Transfer Partners' Dakota Access Pipeline. The approved pipeline would run from the Bakken oil fields in western North Dakota to southern Illinois, crossing beneath the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, as well as part of Lake Oahe near the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. In April, LaDonna Brave Bull Allard, a Standing Rock Sioux elder, established a camp as a center for cultural preservation and spiritual resistance to the pipeline. Said camp is now under threat from eviction, with a no-fly zone being established in preparation for further military action against the camp next week.

Backstory

In September 2014, Standing Rock Sioux Tribal (SRST) Councilman Dave Archambault II conducted an initial informational meeting between the SRST and Dakota Access Pipeline representatives. At the beginning of the meeting, Archambault indicated the tribe's opposition to the project within treaty boundaries. Additional SRST representatives voiced opposition and concerns about the pipeline.

In July 2016, the tribe sued for an injunction on the grounds that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had failed to conduct a proper environmental and cultural impact study. Protests had escalated at the pipeline site in North Dakota, with numbers swelling from just a bare handful of people to hundreds and then thousands over the summer.

On August 23, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe released a list of 87 tribal governments who wrote resolutions, proclamations and letters of support stating their solidarity with Standing Rock and the Sioux people. Since then, many more Native American organizations, politicians, environmental groups and civil rights groups have joined the effort in North Dakota, including the Black Lives Matter movement, indigenous leaders from the Amazon Basin of South America, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, the 2016 Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein and her running mate Ajamu Baraka, and many more. The Washington Post called it a "National movement for Native Americans."

A full timeline can be found here

As of September, this was the largest gathering of native americans ever, bringing together over ninety tribes, many of whom are traditional enemies.

What is the protest about, really?

Water, sovereignty and anti-repression. The tribes have historically gotten the shortest conceivable end of the US stick, and most are both worried that their water supply will be contaminated, their ancestral graves desecrated, and that they will once again be murdered to secure the bottom line of white executives.

The legal history is complicated, but given the history between the federal government and native populations, they have no reason to expect fair play.

If you come into this thread to wave your legal and/or police boner, please read this

Stickarts posted:

What I think that article shows above all else is the dysfunction that exists between First Nations and the federal jurisdictions they find themselves under. Everyone in this thread sussing and tut tutting about the letter of law are being willfully blind to the violent and genocidal history that those laws were formed in and bound to. A law is only as effective as the degrees of trust and good faith the people impacted by it have in it.

Why would the Lakota place any degree of trust in a system that, for 200+ years, has consistently and inevitably warped and twisted itself to pursue it's own self-interest, regardless of whatever was on the books and almost blanket-terms came at the expense of their people? "The law" has unquestionably been a tool of oppression for centuries for these peoples. And this is not ancient history with no impact on contemporary life. People are alive today, or remember family members, who were directly and negatively impacted by manipulative, self-serving, and genocidal interpretations of "the law".

You don't get to say "but they didn't follow the law!!!!!" and not understand following the law has been used explicitly as a tool of oppression against them for literally the entirety of history post-contact. To suggest otherwise is to betray an understanding of historical context that is either non-existent, broken and warped to serve particular political needs, or willfully dishonest. So yea you can sit there and act indignant and concerned about their lack of engagement with army corps all you want, and on some level completely devoid of any context, nuance, or understanding, you might be right. But you're loving wrong. They literally have no reason to trust a government that has put 200 years of history into proving that its word, its institutions, and its laws are all tools if subjugation and oppression to be used at their discretion as they deem fit.

...this article by the Smithsonian: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ulysses-grant-launched-illegal-war-plains-indians-180960787/

..and then maybe :frogout: if you still want to talk poo poo!

How do I help?

Check out this article for a rundown:

http://www.papermag.com/how-to-support-nodapl-protestors-2072880726.html

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
All that genocide business and treaty breaking and hunting buffalo to near extinction is in the paaaaast, it's time for Indians to sh :fuckoff:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is this part of the deal that McCain made in 2014 or is this another bit of bullshit?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Yawgmoft posted:

Is this part of the deal that McCain made in 2014 or is this another bit of bullshit?

That was in Arizona, this is in North Dakota.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It appears to be another bit of bullshit, though it has two websites detailing everything about the project, there are no points of origin, only long lists of backers..

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

SimonCat posted:

That was in Arizona, this is in North Dakota.

Christ this country is pathetic. No one seems to care either- though that could just be a symptom of the lack of media coverage, after all the negative reactions to BLM I'm not willing to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Democracynow had a video crew on site, showing the use of force by corporate security forces.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

I've been seeing quite a few articles posted about this by activists on my feed, and not a lot anywhere else I get news.

Here's some pictures along with an article.

Here's another article about some more details about the pipeline.

And a short bit mentioning the desecration of burial sites and an emergency motion the tribe filed to stop the pipe.

Here's a white house petition if you enjoy yelling at the wind.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Going by google news, yesterday the protests "turned violent." NPR quotes only the local sheriff in their story, who says the protest was more of a riot.

Only democracynow, commondreams, and something called collectiveevolution seem to be using any language other than "protest turned violent."

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I've seen more coverage given to inured K-9s than to any of the injuries inflicted on the protestors.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 6, 2016

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Apparently they are waiting on a federal ruling that is coming this week? Anyone know about this?

Tias
May 25, 2008

moller posted:

Going by google news, yesterday the protests "turned violent." NPR quotes only the local sheriff in their story, who says the protest was more of a riot.

Only democracynow, commondreams, and something called collectiveevolution seem to be using any language other than "protest turned violent."

Well, they would. NA protestors placed themselves on their own land, and refused to budge - this is what corporate security, going on orders to secure the site for development, consider violence.

(Collective-evolution is a dumb woo site, for the love of all that's holy ignore their dumb poo poo)

E: According to the sheriff's office:

quote:

"Once protestors arrived at the construction area, they broke down a wire fence by stepping and jumping on it," the sheriff's office said. "According to numerous witnesses within five minutes the crowd of protestors, estimated to be a few hundred people became violent. They stampeded into the construction area with horses, dogs and vehicles."

Personally I think they're quite justified in driving off the workers, but YMMV.

im gay posted:

Apparently they are waiting on a federal ruling that is coming this week? Anyone know about this?

Sorry, no. Last I heard is that the protestors tried to get some sort of government interference on the case, perhaps that is it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its amazing how little press this has been getting. Its been going on a while, since April at least. Jill Stein and her VP dude are there today or yesterday. Its fair to point out that the protesters have been vandalizing equipment and I believe at one point torched some millions of dollars in equipment(I think I can't find a source it may have been somewhere else) Sorry wrong place. I'm of the opinion that they are probably justified in that, but I can see how others might see the opposite.

Corporate security using attack dogs is pretty loving disgusting.

Have an interesting article about stuffs going on there.

One thing I can't seem to find is what private security company they use? Is it their own in house private security?

It looks like a judge has just halted construction of the pipeline.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 6, 2016

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Story on front page ap. No details on the "confrontation" though.

The Latest: Tribal leader says sacred places still at risk: http://bigstory.ap.org/df8cc74415e745db94da88fcabd5e30f&utm_source=android_app&utm_medium=copy_to_clipboard&utm_campaign=share

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

If anyone knows more about the events at Standing Rock, :justpost: it would be much appreciated!

I know a couple protesters but haven't heard anything that isn't in the news already.

Things could potentially get pretty ugly, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_incident

edit: I forgot there was a Native American militia called GOONs

quote:

The rate of violence climbed on the reservation as conflict opened between political factions in the following three years; residents accused Wilson's private militia, Guardians of the Oglala Nation (GOONs), of much of it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Here's Jill vandalizing some construction equipment.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Thread deserves some Two Bulls.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original
I have an old boss who runs a local history blog called the first scout. He posted a tongue in cheek entry regarding historical sites in the area of the pipeline and the ND Historical Society warned him to edit his post or risk violating state law. I'll try to find it later, but the review of the history at that construction site was rather lousy. It had no experts weighing in and was missing some pieces.

And is it just me, or has NPR's reporting on the topic been spectacularly bad?

Tias
May 25, 2008

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

I have an old boss who runs a local history blog called the first scout. He posted a tongue in cheek entry regarding historical sites in the area of the pipeline and the ND Historical Society warned him to edit his post or risk violating state law. I'll try to find it later, but the review of the history at that construction site was rather lousy. It had no experts weighing in and was missing some pieces.

I'm not in the US, so not really in a position to judge seeing as I haven't used NPR before. That said, it seems to be getting outrageously little coverage compared to the Oregon militia nuts.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tias posted:

I'm not in the US, so not really in a position to judge seeing as I haven't used NPR before. That said, it seems to be getting outrageously little coverage compared to the Oregon militia nuts.

Bundy and Co took over an actual federal facility and threatened direct violence against law enforcement. They were also nutso but that tends to draw memories to Waco. They represented a clear, easy, and somewhat exciting narrative; look how enthralled d&d was.

WaPo had this on their front page earlier today and the quotes from the various sides, assuming the reporting is complete enough, did a poor job of convincing which side was more correct, at least in terms of the project itself.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/north-dakota-pipeline-tribe_us_57cf3702e4b03d2d4597288f?section

Looks like a judge has gotten the company to halt construction temporarily, until a more detailed decision comes out.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
More importantly, what could I do to support the Natives?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Zachack posted:

Bundy and Co took over an actual federal facility and threatened direct violence against law enforcement. They were also nutso but that tends to draw memories to Waco. They represented a clear, easy, and somewhat exciting narrative; look how enthralled d&d was.

It is weird how literally saying you're going to shoot up FBI agents and marshals is basically OK as long as you're a white male. This country is pretty hosed up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It is weird how literally saying you're going to shoot up FBI agents and marshals is basically OK as long as you're a white male. This country is pretty hosed up.

well, all those occupiers are in the middle of being sentenced right now

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
ya but they aren't being sentenced to death by getting shot in the face while they're unarmed running away i think is the point

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NPR's reporting on most things that could be considered controversial is really bad (not that there are many better TV/radio alternatives). I imagine this might be partly due to the extent to which they rely on large donors from across the political spectrum (so it's better to play it safe and avoid upsetting anyone). The only political demographic they don't seem to mind upsetting is social conservatives, but when it comes to mainstream right-wing economic policy you can't expect much from them.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

NPR's reporting on most things that could be considered controversial is really bad (not that there are many better TV/radio alternatives). I imagine this might be partly due to the extent to which they rely on large donors from across the political spectrum (so it's better to play it safe and avoid upsetting anyone). The only political demographic they don't seem to mind upsetting is social conservatives, but when it comes to mainstream right-wing economic policy you can't expect much from them.

I think it's like playing for teams. As long as you do certain things in a certain way then things are fine. Like NBC vs FOX ideals instead of labor protests and land rights violations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Something I'd like to know as well.

I'm still loving pissed about the Iowa Utilities Board being all a-okay with using eminent domain seizures for the Bakken pipeline across Iowa. Eminent domain is not meant to prop up private loving industries over the general public.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Echoing this question. From what I have read, this is so far beyond the pale I still have trouble believing it actually happened. I can't even begin to process how to help the situation besides "stop fuckers from siccing dogs on protestors".

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"These poor people have suffered so much at our hands, we should leave them in pea- what they're minorly inconveniencing the rich? gently caress them bring out the dogs."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The construction site and protesters are extremely in the middle of nowhere so it's hard to do something material to directly support them.

Post about it on your social media, raise awareness, donate to charities which benefit development and education on reservations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Regarding the pipeline itself, I'm not sure. As Pellisworth says, it's such a remote location that directly participating in the blockade is impossible for most of us.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

Regarding the pipeline itself, I'm not sure. As Pellisworth says, it's such a remote location that directly participating in the blockade is impossible for most of us.

Also, the protestors may or may not be interested in you as a (likely) white urban forums poster supporting them. Native Americans in the region have a history of being extremely prideful and hardcore when protesting, again see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_incident
But they tend to be firmly in the "gently caress white people and the US government forever" camp for very legitimate reasons. It's not that aid isn't appreciated, but the Lakota and other Plains Indian tribes really loving hate the federal government and by extension white people who forced their current lovely life situation on them. The best you can do is respect their culture and sovereignty and donate to funds that improve education and jobs so Native Americans can advance in society and return to benefit their tribes.

If you want to help out, donate a few bucks to charities that send Native Americans to college, and go nuts on social media to raise awareness. The fundamental obstacle most Native groups run into in these situations is that they're a tiny fraction of the population and no one in the larger media gives a poo poo.

Edit: for context I grew up on a Lakota reservation which is well-represented in the protests. This clip is a great distillation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuZcx2zEo4k&t=340s That's what a native speaker sounds like and they are completely willing to fight.

Edit2: for what it's worth, a lot of arguments from the protesters are about water quality. "Mni" in Lakota means water, Minnesota, Minneapolis, and many other place names are derived from that.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 8, 2016

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Tias posted:

I've seen a few donation links being shared in my Facebook feed. I can't speak to this first one and whether it is legit. It is reportedly a legal Defense fund for the sacred stone camp.
https://fundrazr.com/d19fAf

This gofundme for the camp has been around for months, and I've heard no complaints from Facebook friends.
https://www.gofundme.com/sacredstonecamp

If you're going to donate items, they have a page with requested items http://sacredstonecamp.org/supply-list/.
Cold weather gear is a big one, there are several out of state protestors at the camp who don't know what they're getting into.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cold weather gear is a big one, there are several out of state protestors at the camp who don't know what they're getting into.

I need to check out this charity but if it seems legit this is probably one of the best to donate to, winters in the Dakotas are brutal and if the occupation and protest are to continue they'll need a winter encampment.

edit: removed some dumb ranty poo poo

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 8, 2016

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Tias posted:

This thread has less posts in 3 days than the militia thread had in 3 minutes. Media these days reacts to what people are talking about and not even d&d seems to care much.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Actually one of the militia were killed and the rest are getting the book thrown at them. What a complete travesty of justice that is :rolleyes:

I don't think you could chose a worse comparison if you tried.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tsa posted:

This thread has less posts in 3 days than the militia thread had in 3 minutes. Media these days reacts to what people are talking about and not even d&d seems to care much.

Actually one of the militia were killed and the rest are getting the book thrown at them. What a complete travesty of justice that is :rolleyes:

I don't think you could chose a worse comparison if you tried.

Obviously the National Guard should have autocannoned the militia and rolled over tarp man in an APC.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

tsa posted:

The story doesn't fit into the election narrative, or an of the larger left vs. right narratives - petrochemical companies are proudly bipartisan.

Also, this kind of direct action protest is usually directed against something the government is doing, not a private interest. No amount of suffering will appeal to the better natures of a publicly traded corporation unless it becomes a PR disaster, which it is unlikely to do because the media doesn't care.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It'd certainly make a great curve ball to throw in a debate, but I doubt any "major" American media organization will want to show that nothing's really changed in over 200 years. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crabtree posted:

It'd certainly make a great curve ball to throw in a debate, but I doubt any "major" American media organization will want to show that nothing's really changed in over 200 years. :(

That would require the media remembering that Native Americans are still a thing at all.

• Locked thread