Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

I really liked the Phoenix and Maya bits, but the Layton stuff was mostly boring IMO.

I could spend all day talking about why AA and Layton ended up not being the peanut butter and chocolate combination we were hoping, at least not in a game, but I kinda wanna get to my replay of it before going on about all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
AAPL was a good game. Any Professor Layton fan should play it and the cool AA fans should play it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, I'm not sayin' it's a bad game at all. It just stumbles a bit at times in interesting ways. It's absolutely worth playing.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Wow I hadn't even heard of this and it's coming out Thursday??? It's fine!!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, we knew it was getting localized from the day it was announced period, but yeah, the September 8th date crept up on us.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm so loving psyched for this game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I probably won't get a chance to play it until the end of the month which is hella sad

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I would play Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, but I haven't played a single Layton game, so half of the game would just feel lost on me

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
All I know about his game is my bro Maya is back and we're gonna solve some loving mysteries again and go for burgers and I'm buying it based on that alone. It's going to own.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait for Apollo Justice 3

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
do we get to play as athena or is she just support now

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The game only advertises you being able to play as Apollo and Phoenix, so I imagine that if you do get to play as Athena it's meant to be a surprise. If you want to know for sure I suppose you could go look up the soundtrack and see if her courtroom themes and stuff are all in there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I would play Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, but I haven't played a single Layton game, so half of the game would just feel lost on me

Probably just because of this, the game's Layton side is very...intro-level. There's no really hard puzzles and Layton's overarching story is referenced even less than AA. As long as you kinda know who the Prof is you're fine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

You get to play as Athena in the filler third case.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

In case you actually want to know, I happened to get spoiled on this by a Youtube comment (I assume it's true!), so here's the answer, and I'll make the spoilers extra long so you can't interpret the answer from their length: Yes, but only in a segment similar to Edgeworth in AA3. So it's one half of a case. extra text extra text extra text extra text extra text extra text

extra text extra text extra text

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You don't need to know much about the Layton universe or anything, but the game does feel very Laytonesque. Which either means you could love it and get into the Layton series as a result, or really not like it (like some people in past AA threads) because you're a dang dweeb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And I mean, if you like Ace Attorney, there's a good chance you'll be able to get into Layton. The fanbases do overlap quite a bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/773204175123468292

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Having never played a Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law Ace Attorney game and owning a 3DS that hasn't seen action in over a year is there a way to play ALL of them via digital store or do I need to hunt down cartridges

Second question: Can I jump in to this one blind or does it rely on knowing previous games' stories and mechanics?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

First: You can download the Ace Attorney Trilogy (A collection of the first three games), Layton vs., Dual Destines, and Spirit of Justice from the 3DS eShop. Apollo Justice and Investigations 1 would have to be tracked down on DS and Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban have never been given US releases, though Investigations 2 has a perfectly good fan patch and DGS is getting what I refuse to acknowledge as an Ace Attorney translation from the guys that made the lovely FE:Fates patch.

It should also be noted that Layton vs., the Investigations games, and Dai Gyakuten are side games and are not necessary if you just wanna catch up on the main continuity.

Second: Most Ace Attorney games are standalone stories, and while it helps to have context for returning characters and how people got where they are, it's hardly required. As for mechanics, the games make a point of having every first case feature a tutorial on the game's basics, so you're good there.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I believe the collected Trilogy is on the 3ds Eshop. Then there's Apollo Justice, then Dual Destinies. You should play them mainline games in order of release imo.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
You can get the AA Trilogy (the first three games re-released in HD) and AA5 (and the DLC case, this is very important) on the 3DS eShop. AA4 you need a DS cartridge for but honestly it's not amazing and not heavily referenced in AA5. All you need to know about AA4: Phoenix loses his badge, adopts a daughter, adopts an Apollo, gets his badge back, also Apollo and Trucy are siblings but lol thinking that's getting brought up again. Oh yeah Apollo has a magic bracelet that let's him look hard at people's sweaty armpits.

The other games are side games and not that important.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The games are standalone but you should play the original trilogy because it's good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you all. I know what I'm doing next time I poop.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

First: You can download the Ace Attorney Trilogy (A collection of the first three games), Layton vs., Dual Destines, and Spirit of Justice from the 3DS eShop. Apollo Justice and Investigations 1 would have to be tracked down on DS and Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban have never been given US releases, though Investigations 2 has a perfectly good fan patch and DGS is getting what I refuse to acknowledge as an Ace Attorney translation from the guys that made the lovely FE:Fates patch.

It should also be noted that Layton vs., the Investigations games, and Dai Gyakuten are side games and are not necessary if you just wanna catch up on the main continuity.

Second: Most Ace Attorney games are standalone stories, and while it helps to have context for returning characters and how people got where they are, it's hardly required. As for mechanics, the games make a point of having every first case feature a tutorial on the game's basics, so you're good there.

You should probably play the trilogy before anything else, but otherwise I agree.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was planning on going in order of release.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Thank you all. I know what I'm doing next time I poop.

You're going to be on that toilet for a very long time, friend.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was planning on going in order of release.

Good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Death Priest posted:

You're going to be on that toilet for a very long time, friend.

HOW DO YOU KNOW I WASN'T ALREADY!?

Do these go on sale? For the trilogy or just one game it's not bad but if I get all of them combined it'll add up, even over time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if Trilogy and DD went on sale when SoJ comes out.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

HOW DO YOU KNOW I WASN'T ALREADY!?

Do these go on sale? For the trilogy or just one game it's not bad but if I get all of them combined it'll add up, even over time.

They go on sale about 3 times a year or so on the eshop? The latest was fairly recently, but then again they might do another soon considering AA6 is just about to come out.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They just ended a sale on the series pretty recently, so it'll be a long while before the next one. Just grab the trilogy for now, imo. Layton vs Pheonix is completely skippable.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Does anyone know if Australia is getting this actually on the 8th, or when it's the 8th in the rest of the world? Because if it's the former that's tonight. :dance:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oceania is getting it the 9th, which is the 8th in the US and Europe.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I know this is the "wrong thread" but I have heard great things about Layton (the series, not this one particular game) and that if I end up enjoying Ace Attorney I'd enjoy that too.

T/F

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I know this is the "wrong thread" but I have heard great things about Layton (the series, not this one particular game) and that if I end up enjoying Ace Attorney I'd enjoy that too.

T/F

Eh, I played the first game and I wasn't that into it. Maybe try and track down one of the games for cheap, see if it's your thing.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

T/F

T, generally. They're both mysteries, but while AA is a visual novel, Layton is a collection of puzzles.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

There is a Layton-centric thread but I'm phone posting and can't link it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The single most important question you should ask yourself to determine if you would like Professor Layton is this - do you like solving brainteaser puzzle type things purely for their own sake?

The gameplay in Layton games is almost entirely these kinds of standalone puzzles, completely disconnected from the context of the story and characters that surround them. They ALSO have insane stories and charming characters, but as much as I love those aspects, if I didn't also have a deep and pure love of puzzles I doubt I'd enjoy the games as much as I do.

This is in contrast to the Ace Attorney series where the gameplay is intrinsically tied into the story such that they are inseparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Eh, I'm not THAT concerned. I'm fairly certain if I buy the trilogy my video game ADD will strike before I finish all three. It's a sad, sad fact of life for me. :smith: