Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

That Mike McCoy and Jeff Fisher still have jobs is baffling, but maybe there's a secret rule that you have to follow the plot of Major League whenever you want to move your team.

Mccoy having a job isn't really baffling when you consider the Chargers kept Norv about seven years too long.

Also he's had one bad season and two good ones. Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like to sit on hot seat's and cook my spemen

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Benne posted:

Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions -- Are we sure Caldwell isn't actually dead, and being propped up Weekend At Bernie's style while Jim Bob Cooter runs the team? Either way, yay you beat the Colts. Have a cookie.

I'm sure the majority of Lions fans would be OK with this, the offense did much better than I thought they would in their first post-Calvin game even against the Colts. But don't forget they nearly blew it anyway and still have an inconsistent kicking game (for however much of that blame can be laid on a HC). I stand by my prediction of Caldwell getting fired if they fall short of last year's 7-9.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

C-Euro posted:

I'm sure the majority of Lions fans would be OK with this, the offense did much better than I thought they would in their first post-Calvin game even against the Colts. But don't forget they nearly blew it anyway and still have an inconsistent kicking game (for however much of that blame can be laid on a HC). I stand by my prediction of Caldwell getting fired if they fall short of last year's 7-9.

It kindof mirrors the Bucs from last year where the OC injects life into the team and they just get rid of their lifeless HC and upgrade the OC. If the Lions are .500 or up, I can't see them canning Caldwell though.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
It looks like a fourth time isn't a charm Mularkey.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

vols bitch posted:

It looks like a fourth time isn't a charm Mularkey.

I'm shocked

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Titans didn't look erotic or smashmouth at all.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Metapod posted:

I'm shocked
I too am flabbergasted that Mike Mularkey, mediocre-at-best offensive coordinator and former head coach of noted bad football teams the Buffalo Bills and the Jacksonville Jaguars, is not the answer for the Tennessee Titans.
But seriously, Mike Mularkey was the head coach who presided over one of our two winning seasons this millenium. We got crushed by Steelers back-ups at home and missed the playoffs. That is Mike Mularkey's ceiling.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Benne posted:

:siren: WEEK 2 RANKINGS
MODERATE
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints -- Drew Brees was great, but the defense gave away the game at the last minute. Same old story it's been for the past 2-3 years.

How does Mickey Loomis still have a job? The Saints will be hosed after Payton and Brees are gone.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Welp, take Jeff Fisher off the list

https://twitter.com/TurfShowTimes/status/776249455398060033

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

today is Christmas day

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
HOW

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Mccoy having a job isn't really baffling when you consider the Chargers kept Norv about seven years too long.

Also he's had one bad season and two good ones. Meh.

I think McCoy might be safe until they move or get the stadium situation figured out. Then instead of making a splash by trading all of the picks to draft a quarterback they make a splash by hiring an actual coach.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jeff has successfully convinced the Rams that losing is actually cool and good.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Under Spanos the Chargers IIRC haven't fired a coach mid-season since 1984 so I doubt they fire McCoy until the season is over

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I think McCoy might be safe until they move or get the stadium situation figured out. Then instead of making a splash by trading all of the picks to draft a quarterback they make a splash by hiring an actual coach.

Brian Kelly's big move to the NFL :suicide:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

I 100% thought it was a joke when I read it. That is just unfuckingbelievable and just be vetoed for "football reasons" ala the Chris Paul to Laker trade in the NBA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm convinced one of two things must be true

Either Fisher has a lot of dirt on a lot of people

Or literally nobody else (in the league, college, high school, elementary school, or on Earth in general) wants to coach the NFL team named the Rams

Both seem plausible at this point to be honest

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I almost want to feel sorry for Rams fans but nahhh... the Rams are a pretty terrible franchise.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm convinced one of two things must be true

Either Fisher has a lot of dirt on a lot of people

Or literally nobody else (in the league, college, high school, elementary school, or on Earth in general) wants to coach the NFL team named the Rams

Both seem plausible at this point to be honest

I have hard time thinking absolutely no one at least wants to sort of see what they can do with Todd Gurley. Like, no one? Nobody?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Under Spanos the Chargers IIRC haven't fired a coach mid-season since 1984 so I doubt they fire McCoy until the season is over

1998, actually - they shitcanned Kevin Gilbride six games into his second year.

But yeah, it's exceeding rare for Chargers ownership to can coaches in the middle of the season; the only other time they've done it is when they got rid of Don Coryell halfway into 1986. (after they spent the previous offseason undermining him, naturally)As much as I hate it, McCoy is probably going to be staying the whole year unless they haven't won a game going into the bye week. And besides, even if they did, they'd probably just promote John Pagano and I don't think he'd be any better.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Not so wild a ride now, is it? :smuggo:

*lights the Axeil batsignal*

Just you wait, those odds are gonna go up once Kelly plays a non-Rams team.

Also thank you for giving exposure to my Aftermath thread meltdown. There will...probably be more if noted racist and lovely human being Chip Kelly wins any more football games.

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 15, 2016

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Those odds are just for which coach gets fired first, right? I can't imagine a scenario wherein Chip can't outlast a single other person on that list.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Toaster Beef posted:

Those odds are just for which coach gets fired first, right? I can't imagine a scenario wherein Chip can't outlast a single other person on that list.

The Wild Ride is full of mysteries.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Jed York is not a smart man but even he isn't stupid enough to fire Chip mid-season unless Chip gets arrested or something.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

1998, actually - they shitcanned Kevin Gilbride six games into his second year.

But yeah, it's exceeding rare for Chargers ownership to can coaches in the middle of the season; the only other time they've done it is when they got rid of Don Coryell halfway into 1986. (after they spent the previous offseason undermining him, naturally)As much as I hate it, McCoy is probably going to be staying the whole year unless they haven't won a game going into the bye week. And besides, even if they did, they'd probably just promote John Pagano and I don't think he'd be any better.

They'd probably make Whisenhunt the interim HC

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Coaches get fired after extensions all the time, I think.

But Fisher is well into Matt Millen territory right now.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

They'd probably make Whisenhunt the interim HC

Without a doubt. I think that may be part of the reason they brought him in, so he can look at McCoy and say, "Soon."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jeff Fisher is a football Ponzi scheme

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jeff Fisher's agent is the father of the Rams' COO. Keep this in mind.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

GobiasIndustries posted:

Jeff Fisher's agent is the father of the Rams' COO. Keep this in mind.
The Rams are doomed

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can we move Rex to Lava Sauce™

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

cheesetriangles posted:

Can we move Rex to Lava Sauce™
Seriously. With the quality of the personnel in the secondary, our pass defense being this bad is inexcusable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Seriously. With the quality of the personnel in the secondary, our pass defense being this bad is inexcusable.

the excuse is their offense has been on field for 7 total minutes. fire rex because this is his like 7th year of the same story

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rex's seat has to have melted

I honestly don't think he should get another head coaching job in the league

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

I was going to say that if Buffalo fires him this season he won't, but then, Mike Mularkey.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd make an exception for the Giants, if only because it'd be loving Hilarious to see a person fired from all three New York state teams in the league

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris James 2 posted:

I would make Rex Ryan head coach (of the defense) and then make offense and special teams totally independent of his control.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TG-Chrono posted:

I disagree completely that Rex Ryan is on the hot seat. None of the local media believes it, seems to be manufactured pressure from national media who don't like Rex.

heh heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

I would make Rex Ryan head coach (of the defense) and then make offense and special teams totally independent of his control.

Also fire Rob, it's not like Rex was doing great with Buffalo's defense but everything Rob touches just turns to poo poo.

• Locked thread