Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is H. P. Lovecraft a good author?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
He's such a good author, I can't even show you how, because you would literally go insane.

Oh it's so unimaginably good. Trust me. I should definitely tell you, not show you how good he is.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
he was, at least until Hemingway invented shorter sentences

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Exceedingly verbose and more than a little racist.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Voted all and for once it wasn't ironically. That is pretty much the actual answer

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i enjoy dunwich horror and shadow over innsmouth and mountains of madness

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I like him a great deal and think he is a very important and good author, but as previously mentioned he was very racist.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Voted all and for once it wasn't ironically. That is pretty much the actual answer

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Not especially but the mythos is cool.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cool ideas more than the specifics. Also very racist, which is relevant because a lot of his stuff had to do with blood mixing and (ironically) how sins of ancestors couldn't be purged for descendants

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

lovecraft posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
No he was a bad author and a poo poo lord but did some decent world building that other authors have and continue to do better writing with.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
He's the best bad author.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
He had some interesting ideas, and he wasn't a bad writer, but he wasn't brilliant either.

I'd totally hire him to do worldbuilding for a videogame or something. Probably way cheaper than hiring R.A. Salvatore like Bankrupt Baseball Man.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Yes but also no. Great at building tension, pacing atmosphere. Bad because he could never really get the payoff/climax of his stories right. He was also racist but I felt that it was more from his environment than an actual vindictiveness.

-Posted from the toilet with my Galaxy 5s

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
No but he had some good opinions about race.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey guys, did you know that Lovecraft was racist?! It's very important that you know this dead, gay author was racist because otherwise you could unknowingly read his books and start hating mulattoes too!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he had some good and memorable short stories like the one about the new england house with blood dripping from the ceiling. it wasn't all crazy moon gods. but those were cool too

also monumental, inexplicable, sanity-less horror is kind of a theme of the modern world so it's still sorta relevant

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bad Author, great Ideas Guy

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
no but he benefited from his audience's incredibly low standards, a phenomenon that can still be seen today

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
good: he liked cats and had one he was very fond of

bad: the cat was named friend of the family

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
:eyepop:Hogge you are half blind and spitting straight into the wind :eyepop:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tangentially related, one problem I have with a bunch of Lovecraft adaptations/spinoffs is the fact that they tend to make Cthulhu and pals actively malevolent, rather than uncaring and completely, psychologically alien.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
He's ok. He's no R.L. Stine though

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Hmm. That depends on how you feel about non-Euclidian geometry, OP.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
well my name is mr shoggoth and i'm here to say
i love to embody indescribable horror every day
with a rap and rhyme
and a little bit of slime
let's dance and groove to death from beyond time

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lil Peeler posted:

Yes but also no. Great at building tension, pacing atmosphere. Bad because he could never really get the payoff/climax of his stories right. He was also racist but I felt that it was more from his environment than an actual vindictiveness.

This is where I'd put him. Excellent at slowly building dread through lots of disparate scraps of information. Terrible at dialog and usually miffing the endings, with a few exceptions. He has maybe four great stories but the rest are middling to terrible. The racism stuff also strikes me as a hypocritical sheltered guy who had delusions of his blue-bloodedness getting total culture shock from New York. He married a Jewish woman and had a few "you're one of the good ones" moments with black people, but I think had he lived longer he probably would have softened on the racism and xenophobia, at least a little bit.

And "The Colour out of Space" is excellent for having a truly alien alien whose motives are totally a mystery. The way it saps life from the farm and the people who live there slowly over a year was good poo poo. Probably his best story even though it has some godawful dialog.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 6, 2016

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

Hey guys, did you know that Lovecraft was racist?! It's very important that you know this dead, gay author was racist because otherwise you could unknowingly read his books and start hating mulattoes too!

what do you mean "start" :confused:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
'the shunned house' is a good short story

i also like 'the outsider'

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have a Lovecraft related tattoo :grin:

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Good imagination and he could put together tension very well, but a lot of the time he feels like he's trying to imitate Poe and isn't quite successful

He had a knack for world building but couldn't put it into a story effectively. "At the Mountains of Madness" is a 10/10 exercise in worldbuilding this sort of cosmic horror back story for his universe but as an actual story it's even more of a slog than most of his poo poo

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
anyways yeah as others said he wasnt especially talented but he is important, the mythos is cool and the idea of cosmic horror came at a time when science was just beginning to gaze into the abyss and comprehend just how vast and cold the void really is instead of just "what's past the moon? I dunno heaven or some poo poo"

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I hope Guillermo del Toro never gets to make his At the Mountains of Madness movie. I want to see the movie but I don't want del Toro's hack hands all over it. gently caress you, Guillermo, you suck and you still owe me ten dollars you rear end in a top hat.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I like his writing but i know it's not "good" in the traditional sense. It's so reliant on antiquated language (even for the time) and overly verbose description that i imagine most modern audiences would find it tough to parse/not worth reading if not for the popularity of the Cthulhu mythos. lots of his stories feature outright racist bullshit too, so that's definitely another hurdle for people to overcome.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Good imagination and he could put together tension very well, but a lot of the time he feels like he's trying to imitate Poe and isn't quite successful

He had a knack for world building but couldn't put it into a story effectively. "At the Mountains of Madness" is a 10/10 exercise in worldbuilding this sort of cosmic horror back story for his universe but as an actual story it's even more of a slog than most of his poo poo

The Re-Animator, it's giant Negro zombie notwithstanding, is a fantastic Lovecraft story that feels far less derivative than a lot of his works. In particular, it's one of those great examples of the Lovecraft Finish: a long, flowery "short" story whose gruesome finish is literally two paragraphs.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Mark Twain was ok but some of his books deal with "racist" stuff so I declare it unreadable I am very sensitive to the feelings of people I never intend to spend any time or attention on.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

reallivedinosaur posted:

Mark Twain was ok but some of his books deal with "racist" stuff so I declare it unreadable I am very sensitive to the feelings of people I never intend to spend any time or attention on.

e: also Shakespeare and the guy who wrote those terrible racist Sherlock Holmes books. My soul hurts that these books are allowed in libraries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Lovecraft hated black people and was not very subtle about it. Comparing him to Twain is moronic.

• Locked thread