Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dyna Soar posted:

worst 90s alt rock bands were garbage and that one with the bald black lady singing.

pretty sure darius rucker is a dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

William F Cuckley posted:

pretty sure darius rucker is a dude

pretty sure he means Living Colour

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Skunk Anansie? I'm assuming this song because of it being from Strange Days and that film has sort of a following.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc0zDfH1jog

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
You guys are reaching back quarter of a century to find the shittiest band and it's hilarious. The worst bands walk among us today. They include but are not limited to -
-aviici
-one republic
-bastille
-imagine dragons
-passenger

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
At least 90s alternative bands had a slightly different sound most of the time. Occasionally you might confuse the Pavement for Thrush Hermit for Weezer, but you got there in the end.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

vudan posted:

You guys are reaching back quarter of a century to find the shittiest band and it's hilarious. The worst bands walk among us today. They include but are not limited to -
-aviici
-one republic
-bastille
-imagine dragons
-passenger

listen i realize this is a cliche at this point but loving WHITE PEOPLE

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

The Grateful Dead are the worst band in history. Everything they did sounded like they were on Nyquil and ludes, and don't tell me it was just weed. Scores of potheads make vibrant, interesting music. The Dead are music for people who are scared of actual rock, folk, jazz, etc.

Worse, they inspired legions of lovely jam bands.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

the grateful dead's studio tracks are pretty bad, sure, but have you listened to the live versions? they're way longer

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i like pearl jam

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Check out this cooler band jamming w Neil Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6hqrK_u9Ek

:yikes:

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
When I hear Pearl Jam I just imagine girls who look and dress like Clarissa from Clarissa Explains It All kind of spinning aimlessly through deep space while dancing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

vudan posted:

-aviici
-one republic
-bastille
-imagine dragons
-passenger

That welcome to the new age song by imagine dragons has to be one of the worst songs ive ever heard. What is that even supposed to be? That poo poo sounds like something a wwf wrestler would make after listening to an arcade fire record.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whats that one band that can't do anything but irish drinking songs set to bad techno

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

That welcome to the new age song by imagine dragons has to be one of the worst songs ive ever heard. What is that even supposed to be? That poo poo sounds like something a wwf wrestler would make after listening to an arcade fire record.

This dubstep remix of it is pretty cool though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppE2vQ6GEFI

Jonny 290 posted:

whats that one band that can't do anything but irish drinking songs set to bad techno

Chumpawumpa

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't get the name dropping of Uma Thurman and Michelle Pfeiffer in modern songs out of the blue. Of course Walter Egan had a song about Tuesday Weld, so whatever.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The lack of Screaming Trees love in this thread is shameful.

The best Seattle/Northwest bands from 1988 to 1992 goes:

TAD
Screaming Trees
Soundgarden
Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

The lack of Screaming Trees love in this thread is shameful.
ah nearleh lost yoooou

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

symbolic posted:

ah nearleh lost yoooou

I'm the fat bassist rolling on the ground

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was listening to some Dramarama recently and they sort of seemed like they exist right between two worlds.

They're not nearly 80s metal enough to be part of the 80s metal sound, but they're also just a bit too shy of being able to fall into the 90s grunge scene. That being said, stuff like Last Cigarette feels more towards the latter than the former.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

For you who didn't suffer through 1994 Hootie and the Blowfish blew up so huge so fast that that goddamn album sold more copies than Abbey Road, Born in the USA, The Wall, Purple Rain, or any Backstreet Boys/Nsync/Spice Girls release. Within 2 years they had fallen off the face of the earth.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was listening to some Dramarama recently and they sort of seemed like they exist right between two worlds.

They're not nearly 80s metal enough to be part of the 80s metal sound, but they're also just a bit too shy of being able to fall into the 90s grunge scene. That being said, stuff like Last Cigarette feels more towards the latter than the former.

They definitely come from more of an indie / new wave / post-punk place - not metal.

vargas
Sep 18, 2016

by zen death robot
pearl jam is pretty bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKidDg3OFq0

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

vols bitch posted:

i like pearl jam

The only problem is they only made three good albums. Followed by a decade of poo poo.

vargas
Sep 18, 2016

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4OIAYwo5g

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Stabbing Westward was the diet Nine Inch Nails of the 90s, the kind of diet flavored with aspartame and not stevia like a good diet soda should

Stabbing Westward was amazing to my 16-year-old self. I still like them (Chris Hall has a great voice) but can only take so much before I have to listen to something else.

So Far Away is still a legit good song.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
in high school a buddy of mine bought some multi-disk pearl jam album and we listened to it on his sony xplod speakers in his eagle talon for what felt like several hours and it sucked and maybe conditioned me to instantly get a migraine or want to puke when i hear eddie vedder's mush-mouthed goat-calling over that awful 90s butt-rock mixing where it seems like every instrument is the exact same volume as all the others and nothing ever gets louder or quieter or has any goddamn dynamic range

eddie vedder seems like he'd be cool to hang out with though

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Cymoril posted:

Stabbing Westward was amazing to my 16-year-old self. I still like them (Chris Hall has a great voice) but can only take so much before I have to listen to something else.

not about to openly admit to liking stabbing westward but... second half of darkest days was acutaly pretty rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHewf4Ns-Uo

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cymoril posted:

yeah same

Diet NIN is lol and RE: Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream remains one of my favorite albums and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yes I did mean that thank you google

• Locked thread