Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
in the car, or, especially when I’m with all white friends, is it O.K. to sing along?”

The answer, from Sheree Marlowe, the new chief diversity officer at Clark University, is an unequivocal “no.”

quote:

Among her other tips: Don’t ask an Asian student you don’t know for help on your math homework or randomly ask a black student if he plays basketball. Both questions make assumptions based on stereotypes. And don’t say “you guys.” It could be interpreted as leaving out women, said Ms. Marlowe, who realized it was offensive only when someone confronted her for saying it during a presentation.

quote:

“What’s an environmental microaggression?” Ms. Marlowe asked the auditorium of about 525 new students. She gave an example. “On your first day of class, you enter the chemistry building and all of the pictures on the wall are scientists who are white and male,” she said. “If you’re a female, or you just don’t identify as a white male, that space automatically shows that you’re not represented.”

A nonverbal microaggression could be when a white woman clutches her purse as a black or Latino person approaches.

Another subset of microaggression is known as the microinvalidation, which includes comments suggesting that race plays a minor role in life’s outcomes, like “Everyone can succeed in this society if they work hard enough.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/07/us/campuses-cautiously-train-freshmen-against-subtle-insults.html

If I can't rap along to doggystyle....I don't think I want to go to college at all!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
you guys listen to rap?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
the next world war gonna be wild

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Figures the only works of art America wants to censor are the ones created by proud and vocal minority artists.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

what if the black student is wearing a shirt that says I LOVE BSKETBALL and was/is carrying a basketball

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
What the loving gently caress is a diversity officer?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Kiss my rear end I'm singing two chainz cause it owns

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

what if the Asian student is in your fucken math class like what the poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tricky D posted:

What the loving gently caress is a diversity officer?

this is a subversive question comrade

:commissar:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

are you Asian oh thank god youre from Peru quick how do i solve this

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Asians r srsly good at math

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
censoring the N word when you're rapping along to a work of art created by an empowered minority is pretty much the same thing as when america was buying and selling slaves and didn't see them as humans. Those artists poured their blood and soul into their work, you do not get to stifle their creativity and oppress them even more.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
According to noted political historian Shaggy 2 Dope, the correct thing to do in this situation is subtitute "ninja" for the offending word.

"He said the Sheriff is a NINJA!"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

According to noted political historian Shaggy 2 Dope, the correct thing to do in this situation is subtitute "ninja" for the offending word.

"He said the Sheriff is a NINJA!"

this is what happens when we stomp and trample all over the profound soul searching music of african americans

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I remember when, as a little girl in guatamala, the diversity officers came into my parents home to confiscate all of their non-diverse possessions. They beat my father mercilessly when he tried to stop them from taking my mother's non-diverse jewelry. To this day, I curse the name of the diversity officers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i was playing tetherball with some kid in like 2nd grade and he was kinda indo-asian looking or something

but anyway i was like 'so where is your family from?' which okay is maybe an awkward way to put "what is your heritage" but I was in 2nd grade ffs. Plus I was from an immigrant family so I was kinda trying to relate to this kid I knew nothing about in the way I knew how.

next thing I knew the noon duty had me on time out and I was sitting there thinking wow this is some retarded crap right here

Volume posted:

censoring the N word when you're rapping along to a work of art created by an empowered minority is pretty much the same thing as when america was buying and selling slaves and didn't see them as humans. Those artists poured their blood and soul into their work, you do not get to stifle their creativity and oppress them even more.

frozen register

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

as diversity officer im gaye it is my recommendation that you do NOT walk into the subway shop and yell eyy gabagool

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out
Kids these days are rapping along to songs such as House of Pain's "Jump Around", which does not even have the Voldemort word in it. Teachers are seriously out of touch

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The diversity officers were unable to stop the disease of microaggression. Something more extreme was needed, so the megacities created the diversity judges. They were empowered to seek out microaggressions and act as judge, jury, and executioner.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im the officer for butt engagement at a major university, and i make sure penetrating butts is accepted

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Using "female" as a noun like the OP just did is against SJ law now she must have missed that memo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

theres a freshman in teh class i'm TAing for whose major is "international social justice" iw onder what that means

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
no way white girl, if companies are allowed to sell it, you're allowed to sing it

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“It would not be unheard-of for a student to join us from the state of Wisconsin having had zero people of color in their high school,” Dr. Berquam said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1eQZi4GGMA&t=7s

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

to combat the fact that historically the department heads have been old white dudes we are setting up coloring stations in halls so that you may paint over their portraits in all the colors of the rainbow

it also reduces stress

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Those examples suck rear end. Everyone plays basketball and does math. More than one woman was motivated by wanting to be the first face up there on that wall of white men. Women grab their purse at random and some people would think it's funny if someone grabbed their purse in response to seeing them.

All this microaggression poo poo just assumes everyone is depressed, can't handle the slightest negative input real or imagined (like the wall of scientists example), and enforces racist stereotypes.

Why can't she grab her purse in response to a white kid? That happens all of the time too, because of how they present themselves. If no woman has done something in the field worth being put up on that wall then why should they be put there? Come the gently caress on. We are all people, man or woman, white or black, and it's people up on the wall. If you don't "identify" with a group maybe it's you who is the problem by seeing yourself as so different and special from that group. If someone who wasn't a white man was intentionally left out then okay, it's cool to try and get them put there, but that's not what this person said at all.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 7, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk if there were like 10 portraits up there and they were all white men and not even a token marie curie that'd be pretty silly

but they should go after the record labels pushing commercialized garbage down everyone's throats imo. what good rappers in 2016 are even dropping the n word constantly anymore?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

its basically impossible to find a white man from before like 1950 that is worth immortalizing by contemporary standards

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

except maybe like total wackjobs like Proudhon, every schoool shoult have a statue of some kind of wild-eyed impractical 19th century utopian idealogue

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's impossible to find any human anytime that is worth immortalizing

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

great self own in the article:

quote:

“When you use the term ‘self-identify’ as a white woman, are you saying that you can choose your race?” one white male student asked.

“I’ll give you an example,” Ms. Marlowe said. “I went to a conference. I was talking to this man. I thought he was black. I was talking about diversity and social justice.”

“He said, ‘I’m Cuban,’” Ms. Marlowe told the crowd. “I assumed he was black because he was the same skin complexion as me, and the same type of hair.”

But, Ms. Marlowe said, while it is sometimes difficult to identify a person’s racial or ethnic background based on appearance, she does not believe that gives license to people like Rachel A. Dolezal, the white woman who claimed to be African-American while working for the N.A.A.C.P. in Spokane, Wash. “You can’t say you’re black if you’re not, historically.”

The student still seemed confused.

“Maybe we can unpack it afterward,” Ms. Marlowe told the student. “You want to come see me afterward?”

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Moridin920 posted:

i was playing tetherball with some kid in like 2nd grade and he was kinda indo-asian looking or something

but anyway i was like 'so where is your family from?' which okay is maybe an awkward way to put "what is your heritage" but I was in 2nd grade ffs. Plus I was from an immigrant family so I was kinda trying to relate to this kid I knew nothing about in the way I knew how.

next thing I knew the noon duty had me on time out
your entire life has been people telling your wholly dislikeable rear end to shut the gently caress up

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

great self own in the article:

She's going to unpack his white dick into her african puss

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

your entire life has been people telling your wholly dislikeable rear end to shut the gently caress up

don't be mad just bc you're from TX

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but is she hot?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i prefer macroaggressions like slapping the poo poo out of someone who thinks words are violence

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Moridin920 posted:

it's impossible to find any human anytime that is worth immortalizing

General Bullshit v.666: Death comes to us all

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the n word

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Nth Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
God drat I'm glad I went to college before this loving plague descended.

• Locked thread