Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well, they left us no choice. They made the mistake of putting me and Jackson Lewis in the back row of a massive trucks grid. We told them not to, we told them we couldn't be contained. They didn't listen, so we went to work.

Filmed from my truck since he takes the lead (in the 4 truck), here's how you handle everyone else turning into wee wittle babies on the start.

Not sure why Bandicam hurt the frame rate - tried adjusting frame rate from 30 to 60 to 120, changed recording method, changed recording quality, and nothing worked. And as with every video I post, you probably don't want to listen to this around people with sensitive ears.

Here's how the hell to drive a plate race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ncFPbl6TiE

Please use OBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

OhsH posted:

Please use OBS
Fuckin poo poo I even use it to stream, and I just instinctively went "okay, new computer, want to share this clip, better grab Bandicam", ugh, total brain fart.

I hope you did enjoy my video though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I did enjoy the video but obs> all.

I will send my video of running 3 wide through the field to youtube at sometime soon, it's like you go 3 wide and the top car just let's off the gas.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

honda whisperer posted:

I have questions. Do offs, wrecks, or going so far afield that you ramp into a loading screen in online practice effect your ratings? What about qualifying?

Getting the off track warning seems very strict. I'm OK with this but it seemed to be about half the car in the dirt was enough.

I assume the effect on sr scales with off track - loss of control - wreck. Is this correct?

Your SR works on a corners-per-incident-point calculation and is the average of this over the last x corners you completed in assessed events (where x is some number in the low thousands, IIRC), basically, the more you manage to drive the track without breaking things, spinning, or ploughing the grass and gravel, the higher your SR will grow over time.

Off track is calculated from the exact centre-line of your car crossing a part of the track designated a no-go area - the rough rule of thumb is that grass and dirt is a no-go, tarmac is ok (even if it's a tarmac run off). There are a few exceptions (the two I can think of are Brands Hatch, which is very generous in some of the grass run-off areas, and Spa, which is the opposite and gives you off-tracks for using the tarmac run-off) but you'll find them as you go. Real life racing can vary similarly in their rulings between different tracks and sanctioning bodies so yeah.

The incident points you clock up during a race are how your SR is calculated, yes, so completing a race with 4 1x off tracks has the same result as completing a race with a single 4x for damaging contact with a competitor. Because as above it's a record of your last x corners you'll occasionally get weirdness where you have a relatively clean race, but you pushed a set of even cleaner corners off the end of your record and so you unexpectedly lose SR, but over time these anomalies even themselves out. You might also find that, since most road courses have more corners than most ovals and the race length doesn't always make up for the difference, it might take slightly more time to increase oval SR than road.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: FRIDAY NIGHT RACING :siren:

FRenaults and Cadillacs at 0115 UTC (11.5hrs from this post) and Skips to follow. Both at Iowa. Embrace the draft.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Vando posted:

:siren: FRIDAY NIGHT RACING :siren:

FRenaults and Cadillacs at 0115 UTC (11.5hrs from this post) and Skips to follow. Both at Iowa. Embrace the draft.

7:15 EST for the goons who don't want to look it up on iRacing or do the conversion. I will try to make it and break as many FR wings with my burly 'murican V8 as possible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When I'm learning a new track I usually look for where the 1x limits are, it's useful to know how much your margin of error can be. As a general rule you'll gain or break even on SR up to 6x, but also once you're out of rookies SR stops being all important.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It matters to people who are so bad their sr hits 0.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

njsykora posted:

When I'm learning a new track I usually look for where the 1x limits are, it's useful to know how much your margin of error can be. As a general rule you'll gain or break even on SR up to 6x, but also once you're out of rookies SR stops being all important.

I believe SR sensitivity is different depending on your license level.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I believe SR sensitivity is different depending on your license level.

Yes and no. 4x certainly hurts your SR more at A than at R/D, but if you've made it to A then you're clearly a long-term clean racer. You'd need a significant string of 10x+ races to bump down from an A.

Also, before the Ring came out, I was worried that it would be SR murder. Turns out it's quite the opposite, because the corner count is so high. Spa killed my SR this past season in GT3. Nurburgring gained me drat near two whole points, even though I never made it past halfway before damaging my car too much to bother racing further.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I just figured I would give this a go. Found a discount code so it's $7 for 3 months so low investment right now. Let's see what the hypes is about :clint:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

I just figured I would give this a go. Found a discount code so it's $7 for 3 months so low investment right now. Let's see what the hypes is about :clint:

This is how I started, then a few days later, I bought myself a wheel. And now I just turn left.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm unnaturally stoked for FRenaults tonight. I want to use them again frequently if possible so if you're on the fence about buying it don't worry, it'll come back. Plus I believe the official series is still pretty strong?

Current plan tonight: FRenault (pay) + Cadillac (free) at Iowa (pay), followed by either Mazda (free) at Summit (free) or Cadillac (free) at Charlotte (free), depending on what those present feel like doing. If you're new, show up! It will be good.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

thegasman2000 posted:

Where did you get that discount code? Please share so Vando can add it to the OP.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also for new (or old but lazy) people joining tonight, don't forget to use Trading Paints to make your car not look like it belongs to a scrub

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Helicon One posted:

Where did you get that discount code? Please share so Vando can add it to the OP.

3 month basic membership. for $5: PR-IMSA2015 or PR-SIMRACERMAG or PR-SROMG
Regular retail price: $30
Discount: $25 (83%)

3 months with the Kia Car. for $12: PR-BSRTC
Regular retail price: $41.95
Discount: $29 (71%)

3 month basic membership with the Ford GT. for $12: PR-GRIPTV or PR-RaceSpotLive
Regular retail price: $41.95
Discount: $29 (71%)

12 months basic membership for $49: PRLEAGUE12 or PRHOLIDAYHALFOFF12
Regular retail price: $99
Discount: $50 (50 %)

two year basic membership $89: PRHOLIDAYHALFOFF24
Regular retail price: $179
Discount: $89 (50%)

taken from https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/iracing-promo-codes-updated.131900/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

2 years for 89 is a damned good price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ford GT is a solid free car too since it seems to be coming back into favour with the need for a GT2 car.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Caddy/Renault race was fun, if I knew anything about setups and could fix the tight off it would have been a competitive race. My favorite was when someone botched the start and a caddy was in the lead for like almost a whole lap. Then just getting flanked and attacked by a swarm of tiny speed bumps.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I won with the dastardly tactic of 'spend 20 mins prerace testing to improve the starting setup' sorry guys :v:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I finally won a gooncar race :3

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Edit i am dumb.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I enjoyed that indycar race; even though we spent more than half of it under yellow. Although honestly less than I'd have expected!

Also has the "file protest" button always been there under league results? I thought that league races were exempt from the whole racing rules bit of the sporting code...

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

That stretch of clean laps before the second yellow was real good.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Gooncar is amazing. Sorry to everyone I punted and side swiped. Never done oval racing before and holy poo poo I can see the appeal now. Road racing is still better though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well we're doing both on Sunday.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
That was a lot of fun. I don't have anything fancy put together, but I am exporting some of my Twitch stream and I'll chuck the lovely-bitrate video links up here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm going to upload my perspective of the miata race. Watch my terrible driving, see Ohsh fly off the track, watch Ice Age kill himself at the end.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'll be there.

More questions! Hosting a race costs real money right? If so is it priced per race or by race length? Basically how does it work?

It seems like multiple short road races would be ideal so you get all the fun of 2-3 wide without the long spread out everyone racing by themselves thing. The Miata race was amazing at the start and amazing after the restart.

Also can you stack races so race 2 is gridded by reverse of the race one finish?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Last few minutes of the Iowa race with Formula Renault and Caddy (totally need to do a similar combo again) The first minute of this video was bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QYzmRi1Ws

Miatas at Summit Short (whole race, 30 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gItSnCbd2Vw

Last 15 minutes of the Indy race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRu4_T2wc_o

Audio's a bit weird on these, I need to mess with OBS a bit but I think I may just do proper recording instead of streaming in the future so the quality is better.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 10, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A Coja eye view of the miata race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAUGh3tePoM

Interesting bits are Ohsh flying off the track and the last lap.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Man, you sure were inconvenienced by my going around you huh.

I guess it's the fun part of not being liked by someone, no matter what you do they're going to find fault with it. Sorry I cost you all that time by passing you and driving off while you continued to lose time to Zimbu, that was somehow my fault.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I honestly don't care dude, it's friday gooncar.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Someone seems like they are taking I racing super serial.

Watching from the Renault the caddies look gigantic.

Edit: looks like shooowwwww me potata salad got an av.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 10, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Looking at the replay of the indycar race again to see all the crazy poo poo I missed; we had a fair few guys with red roll hoops who actually seemed to be able to run around with us and not crash any more than people with more experience; which is pretty impressive considering that the indycar is a hard car to get used to - like its hard to drive at all at a track like Charlotte since its mash the gas and turn left (less so with the new one which has less downforce and a much bigger draft therefore more noticeable aeropush, plus tyres that actually fall off a lot which forces you to lift early in the run if the car is tight and make it really quite loose if you have a neutral car) but poo poo happens so quickly and generally you'll be close to others all the time so you need really quick reactions to avoid wrecks - I actually credit running official oval indycar with making me a bit better at that in all series. I think that its something that we could do again using a similar format with more fast repairs (five was not enough) although its not really an every week thing. In terms of tracks that'd work: the thing definitely has setups for Charlotte and Phoenix, I might be able to put something together for Iowa before I go away although Phoenix should work for it; and Daytona would be... interesting as well; you'd just take all the wing out you could and have as long a gear as possible. I'd recommend IMS as well but that's pay content, although that does pop up every so often in some road series and as rovals go, its not the worst... I do think that my "gently caress it, lets just do a 45 minute race" was a good idea rather than working out laps, we'd have ended on time anyway I think.

honda whisperer posted:

I'll be there.

More questions! Hosting a race costs real money right? If so is it priced per race or by race length? Basically how does it work?

It seems like multiple short road races would be ideal so you get all the fun of 2-3 wide without the long spread out everyone racing by themselves thing. The Miata race was amazing at the start and amazing after the restart.

Also can you stack races so race 2 is gridded by reverse of the race one finish?

It costs yeah; although the hour of Indycar only cost me $0.50 so not much. The problem is that multiple short races would require buying multiple blocks of an hour and that jacks up the cost a bit: we can simulate it with the random FCY mid race though. Hopefully dirt adds more hosted options that allow multiple races within one block of time and the like!

You can do that (that's the plan for tomorrow), but its more complicated that it should be really.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Don't be mean to Fruitstripe you nerds, sure he can be a bit antsy in the thread but making fun of his driving is dumb as heck bc he's actually good, thanks bye

ofc making fun of his stream banter is essential and also do more streams Fruitstripe tia

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
im not touching you!!!!! im not touching you!!!!!!!!!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
re: multiple short races: I don't mind not using the full hour everytime, especially when the discount kicks in and the price drops to 38 cents per hour. I was aiming for a 25 min race with the MX-5s but had no reference lap so I guessed and missed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone object to recording more races? No one has said anything but some people sometimes don't want their race experience immortalized for all time. I just want to record some to get people to see what you can get out of racing with VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You can put words in my mouth any time you want, guy. I'm not sure there's any expectation of privacy in gooncar.

Where's the racing tomorrow? If I can make it, I'll stream and make sure not to interrupt anyone's good time.