Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champ come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Stipe Miocic 38 40.86%
Alistair Overeem 55 59.14%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMk2eTqPLWk

Welcome, fellow travelers on the path to spiritual enlightenment. Our journeys all begin with a single step, some from such far-off wastelands as Wrestlehut. And though our destinations ma all be different, we are all on the same path, in the end: to Cleveland, Ohio for the UFC 203 GDT, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Sept. 10, only on PPV. Remember, those who post or ask for streams will never find them.

Though we may follow great leaders, even they are travelers on their own paths to self discovery and oneness with body and spirit. Let us explore their journeys, so that we too may better understand our own.

:siren: For the Heavyweight Title :siren:

Stipe Miocic (c)

vs.

Alistair Overeem

It is said that all great journeys begin with a single step. For Cleveland, Ohio, that journey took 56 years. For firefighter and paramedic Stipe Miocic, that journey to realizing his self-truth as UFC champion was a much shorter five years after entering the UFC. But no journey worth embarking upon is without setbacks, trials and difficulties. Stipe discovered first what it was to lose to Stefan Struve, in the very same fight that Struve first discovered what it was to use his 17,000-inch reach advantage. From there Stipe toiled with the mass of Roy Nelson and the body hair of Gabriel Gonzaga before taking another sharp turn, losing a fight of the night to former champion Junior dos Santos. But Stipe finally guided Cleveland out of the dark championship-less era on the backs of two TKOs over Mark Hunt and Andrei Arlovski, before finally defeating Fabricio Werdum to achieve true enlightenment. His gold paved the way for the Cleveland Cavaliers, showing he is truly a great leader of pilgrims through a deserted land.

Allow me to tell you the tale of our fellow pilgrim Alistair Overeem, who has traveled long, and tried many paths to enlightenment. First he tried the Way of the Street Gang as a youth, earning a facial scar to forever remind him of the turmoil of his troubled past. From there he tried the Way of the Kickbox from the young age of 17, momentarily abandoning this path as he was beleaguered with losses and found more profit in the Way of the Mixed Martial Arts. And yet the fists of his enemies continued to dog his tired and weary chin, so he sought the Way of the Needle for respite. This brought him to Japan, and while it brought him much success and a very pantastic body, it did not achieve the status he so desperately sought, as he found he could not loony tunes tiptoe away from the destruction this way brought. So he tried the Way of the Open Contract, earning the Dream title and then bouncing back and forth between Strikeforce and K1, where he earned gold as far as the eye can see and the adoration of millions. However, this was not to last, for when he finally came to the UFC to defeat the great and mighty Brock Lesnar, the Way of the Needle besieged him once again. Now less chemically altered and free of the titles he once held dear, Overeem began to wander from gym to gym and camp to camp, getting owned viciously by Bigfoot Silva, and Travis Browne, and Ben Rothwell. Until he finally came to a lone, great teacher, standing tall and proud, his pube beard glistening with the desert sands of Albuquerque, who showed Overeem the Way of the Node — and at long last, he was enlightened.

Heavyweight

Fabricio “Go Horse” Werdum

vs.

Travis “Tiki-themed Turd Golem” Browne

A long and forlorn traveler on the road to the championship, Fabricio Werdum struggled through a stint in PRIDE, his first UFC run and a Strikeforce tenure halted only by his inability to beg Overeem into punching him. He then returned to the UFC where he amassed an impressive six-fight win streak and finally earned a major championship with a submission victory over High Altitude Cain Velasquez. But for Werdum, the title was not the end of his journey, but merely the beginning. His choice of Senna’s victory theme proved to be a fateful choice at UFC 198, as he violently clashed into a wall at the hands of Miocic. Though his title was lost, Werdum was not. He picked himself back up, made his signature face and struck out on the road to his return.

Like his former foe Alistair Overeem, Travis Browne was once a follower of the Way of the Node, until he became lost. He now struggles in his career as he follows the Way of the Dubious Bankruptcy Claim, enraptured by the spastic striking and bomb-rear end pussy he can find there. He now finds himself filling in for Ben Rothwell against a man who thoroughly embarrassed him while at a good camp. Many fall from the path to enlightenment, and we can only hope that as the great wheel turns, they find their way once again.

Welterweight

CM “Phillip Brooks” Punk

vs.

Mickey “Some Guy” Gall

To understand CM Punk’s journey to the Octagon, we must first understand our own, for we are all as equally skilled as him or better. Our shared voyage to the ring began in Dec. 6, 2014, when CM Punk revealed to the world that he has left the WWE and would for some reason be a UFC fighter as a man in his late 30s with no real combat sports training. From there, he traveled a long voyage of over 45 minutes up north to Milwaukee, to seek the tutelage of the greatest trainer in the sport of mixed martial arts, Duke Rufous — and thanks to a documentary crew from FOX Sports, we traveled with him on a significant editing and tape delay. While there he saw great visions of things to come, as Sergio Pettis got kicked in the butthole and Anthony Pettis got severely owned and lost his belt within a few months of Punk joining the gym, all on the same card. But Punk persevered on his journey to be the world’s OKest UFC fighter, learning things like a punch, and another punch, and that’s it mostly. Once he learned his opponent could actually move quickly and knock people down en route to a submission, Punk traveled yet again to a surgeon to fix a problem that may or may not have existed in his back. And now, after two years and probably a lot fewer steps than you’d imagine based on the foot movement we can see in his documentary, CM Punk has completed his long journey to the UFC stage. And so do we all, for as unlikeable, unathletic fools who spend all day complaining on the internet, we are all CM Punk in this life or the next.

Mickey Gall’s journey began under the tutelage of the Brothers Miller, Jim and Dan. But his story truly starts with the journey of others: Dana White, Matt Serra and Nick the Tooth. Sensing their greatest and most famous fighter would need an opponent of a special caliber, they embarked on their own journey of discovery. At first they found Sage Northcutt, but upon meditation discovered that the man who would go on to be subbed by Bryan Barbarena was too great a match for CM Punk and signed him outright. Then they found Mickey Gall and a sports journalist, and coaxed them to fight for our amusement and the chance to beat CM Punk. Though his striking is raw and he’s only 2-0 with wins over winningless cans, Gall has learned much over his brief journey in MMA, noting that he was so green he shouldn’t even be on the poster for the event. The greatest pilgrims on this journey of life know that they will never know all, so perhaps Gall will achieve enlightenment yet.

Bantamweight

Urijah “The California Kid” Faber

vs.

Jimmie Rivera

Faber’s journey in the UFC has been as long as it is fruitless to the outside observer. Excluding his one WEC fight prior to the buyout, he has fought an astounding 25 times under Zuffa contract, losing just eight bouts to five people. But while the WEC featherweight champ never earned bantamweight UFC gold, he has earned true enlightenment from the greatest of MMA prophets, Tito Ortiz: “If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying.” May Francisco Rivera learn to see from his inner eye as well as he could from his outer ones before the Faber fight.

While our journey is relentlessly long for some, it is incredibly (and perhaps detrimentally) short for others. Though on an 18-fight winning streak as a professional, Jimmie Rivera has had just three UFC fights (excluding his 2011 TKO loss to Dennis Bermudez in the elimination round of the Ultimate Fighter.) While even an aging Faber is a huge step up for the man who had a fight of the night decision with Iuri Alcantara, Jimmie Rivera believes he has arrived right on time, for time is a wheel that moves for only Jon Fitch.

Strawweight

Jessica Andrade

vs.

Joanne Calderwood

Jessica Andrade’s journey began at Stonewall: she is one-half of the first fight between two openly gay fighters in the UFC, and though she lost that fight by TKO, she won our hearts. A dangerous submission expert, bantamweight proved difficult for Andrade, but in taking her own spiritual journey down two weight classes she TKOd respectable journeywoman and former contender Jessica Penne even faster than champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. She now returns for her second bout at 115.

Jojo Calderwood learned the hard way that you shouldn’t gently caress your coach, for following their nasty breakup she got brutally finished by Maryna Moroz in her first pro loss. But the journey afterward proved fruitful, as she returned to the cage to beat Cortney Casey in the fight of the night, and TKO the extremely durable former strawweight contender Valerie Letourneau via boobie kick in a flyweight bout. Let us hope we will all be enlightened by another cool performance from both of these fighters.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH

Fox Sports 1 Prelims, 8 p.m. ET
Women's Bantamweight Jessica Eye vs. Bethe Correia
Lightweight Nik Lentz vs. Michael McBride
Middleweight Caio Magalhães vs. Brad Tavares
Flyweight Ian McCall vs. Ray Borg Uncle Creepy will never fight again

Fight Pass Prelims, 6:30 p.m. ET
Welterweight Yancy Medeiros vs. Sean Spencer
Light Heavyweight CB Dollaway vs. Francimar Barroso
Lightweight Drew Dober vs. Jason Gonzalez

Official MMA Snack Rating: Vegetarian Chickpea Tikka Masala via Yogajournal.com

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
½ medium onion, diced
1 Tbs. garam masala
1 Tbs. tomato paste
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 serrano chile, minced
2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
½ cup low-fat Greek-style yogurt
¼ cup chopped cilantro
DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 
onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garam masala, tomato paste, ginger, and serrano chile, and season with salt, if desired. Sauté 1 minute more.
Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in yogurt and cilantro.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
This is the first time in a long time where I actively want to watch every single main event fight based on who's fighting. Great card. Thanks for doing these game day threads they are brilliant.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
On one hand I'd be happy if Punk won his match, cause he has had to endure a shitload of criticism and mean things said about him since his decision to become a pro fighter 2 years ago. That being said he mostly brought it on himself, and Mickey Gall is probably a decent kid whose life will change forever if he wins while Punk's life will sorta stay the same win or lose so gently caress him. Go Gall.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm going to have to watch jimmie rivera's fights again, because he is somehow the favorite against faber and if i can't see a really compelling reason for that i'll be putting a fair amount of money on faber.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Marching Powder posted:

I'm going to have to watch jimmie rivera's fights again, because he is somehow the favorite against faber and if i can't see a really compelling reason for that i'll be putting a fair amount of money on faber.

hes a solid fighter but yeah i'd have faber as the favorite

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
thank you for this post, I am so informed now

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i hope everyone else plans to watch this event in the center of a ring of restorative, chakra opening crystals. namaste.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

i hope everyone else plans to watch this event in the center of a ring of restorative, chakra opening crystals. namaste.

I plan to watch it while doing DDP Yoga and listening to Matt Horwich post-fight interviews.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
JoJo didn't get KO'd by Moroz, she got flying armbarred.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
horse meat beats hoarse voice

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Didn't even know Faber was fighting. This is a really solid card.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

afatwhiteloaf posted:

JoJo didn't get KO'd by Moroz, she got flying armbarred.

If you expect me to look at Wikipedia when I write these things then that is crazy talk

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Losing Rothwell and Taisumov took some of the life out of this card but it is still solid.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Even though I think Rothwell is a solid fighter and I love a new matchup in the heavyweight division part of me is happy that Rothwell versus Werdum isn't happening... yet. Rothwell just hit a brick wall against JDS and I feel like Werdum also could have completely shut down his game or even finished him. I'd rather see Rothwell get an easier match and then fight against a top 5 dude later.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
go overeem! he's beaten six or seven former champs, one of which was a retiring of Brock The Human Horse Nut Lesnar, has only lost three times in ten years, has literally three times the MMA experience of the champ, is maybe the most decorated striker of all time while still being very respectably well-rounded everywhere else, and, of course, he will get knocked out by Stipe Miocic in the first round.

gently caress tyron woodley.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHhe6ziuo3k

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM21-_KR0aw&t=1067s

punk did not do a practice weight cut, according to him.

oh this clown fiesta.

This is going to be the best loving show.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

hell yeah

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

i'm kinda surprised Jessica Eye is ranked higher than Bethe Correia, she looked like absolute rear end in her last fight + is on a worse losing streak.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's pretty unfair, in that Betche's last two losses are to the GOAT women's bantamweight, and Ronda Rousey, but Rousey did knock her out so hard and so fast that the best part of Correia's performance was the way she face-planted right onto some promotional advertising on the mat.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I hope Overeem wins the belt. Everyone else in the division has been champion already so it'd be really weird if he didn't have it too at some point.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lid posted:

The first part in my post from the future about Punk is coming true.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
This GDT is amazing. I love every single things about it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The bodyshape of punk to come

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Ray Borg got sick so uncle creepy doesn't have an opponent again

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

yea ok posted:

uncle creepy - pro weight cutter

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Marching Powder posted:

Putting the smack in smackdown

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

yea ok posted:

Goddamit Ian McCall is loving cursed.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
stipe is pretty awesome but if you're not with overeem you can :getout:

i want the guy who took out all time great kickboxers on their own terms and then was knocked out by ben rothwell to be champ.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I do like Overeem but I don't want Travis Browne to have another win over a champ to claim. (He beat Barnett if you don't want to do the mental math)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I can't wait to watch CM Punk die. He's the only loser on the card using an alias lmao

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Marching Powder posted:

He should book a Cerrone-like schedule and get paid for all of the fights without ever even getting his fists taped.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

They really could have done a better job on finding Phil Brooks an opponent. This kid is a tough up and comer and I just don't see how this doesn't end in a savage beating for CM. They should have found another mid 30's guy who was new to MMA, maybe coming in from a non-combat sport or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He can't fight himself and he's the only person dumb enough to fit that bill.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
First PPV in a while where I'm really interested to see how the weigh in plays out. I have a hard time believing that Punk would really struggle with the weight cut because he looks like he's in good shape in the embedded show and Roufusport are pros who should know what they are doing, on the other hand every interview from Punk involving weight gets real weird.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
It didn't even occur to me that the pro wrestler has probably never cut weight before, and now he's struggling and didn't even do a test cut prior.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lid posted:

Ahahahahah

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am patiently waiting for CM Punk to lock in the Anaconda vice and become the greatest MMA fighter in the world.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm literally making that Chickpea Tikka Masala recipe for the show. Thanks OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Kinda sad that the CM punk experiment will 99% likely be over after this event, its interesting and would be kinda cool if we had this little D-league inside the UFC where you could watch famous people try to learn how to fight in real time against guys they dig up for them. While typing that i realized thats what Sage Northcutt is for but still

• Locked thread