Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champ come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Stipe Miocic 38 40.86%
Alistair Overeem 55 59.14%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't really follow MMA close enough to know how the weight rules work, is it a catchweight fight now because Gall missed weight? Does that affect his payout?

A rule about MMA weigh ins you probably don't know is that non-title fights have a "grace pound" so you can come in up to 1 lbs over and still be considered on weight. Gall came in at 170.5 so he made weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Shame. I was 100% more excited for that fight when I saw that Gall missed weight.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sprecherscrow posted:

A rule about MMA weigh ins you probably don't know is that non-title fights have a "grace pound" so you can come in up to 1 lbs over and still be considered on weight. Gall came in at 170.5 so he made weight.

You're right, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Punk now has the moral victory over the coward Mickey Gall, who couldn't even make weight properly after talking such a big game.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
According to MMA Fighting Punk came in at 170 and Gall came in at 170.5. Neither missed weight. Gall would have to be over 171 as non title fights are given a 1 pound leeway at weigh ins.

Only person who has missed weight so far is Nik Lentz's short notice replacement who came in at 158 lbs.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Props to CM punk for making weight though

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

manyak posted:

He is already a more accomplished fighter than Lew Polley

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPxDDB5Tsg

JoJo is adorable :3:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't really follow MMA close enough to know how the weight rules work, is it a catchweight fight now because Gall missed weight? Does that affect his payout?

I'm so mad now that this didn't actually happen.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Yeah.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

While it was objectively stupid for the 37 year old pro wrestler with no weight cutting experience to not take a practice cut and reject most help cutting weight due to it being "common sense," it is also commendable that he actually managed to do so successfully.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

While it was objectively stupid for the 37 year old pro wrestler with no weight cutting experience to not take a practice cut and reject most help cutting weight due to it being "common sense," it is also commendable that he actually managed to do so successfully.

Yep. Impressed he pulled it off and made weight

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

7 minutes left for weigh ins and Overeem still hasn't shown up.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Reem no-show

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

-1 minutes left and Overeem still hasn't shown up.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Oh man fined $500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: Reem checked his non-existent watch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reem 500 dollars in the red for missing.

I think he'll be okay.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why even have a time limit if the penalty is only a $500 fine?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

drat Overeem

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

IcePhoenix posted:

Why even have a time limit if the penalty is only a $500 fine?

some people make 8 thousand dollars.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

-Atom- posted:

some people make 8 thousand dollars.

So you make it a percentage of purse like missing weight...

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I remember when Miesha Tate almost missed her weigh in window for UFC 200 all of the stories were saying that her fight would have been cancelled if she didn't make it in time. Reem's only getting a fine?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Different commision re: Tate and the money should explicitly go to a charity, rather than a vague "to the state"

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So how much money should I bet on Punk

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A fiver. You won't miss it when it goes, but if a miracle happens, you'll get a decent return.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I remember when Miesha Tate almost missed her weigh in window for UFC 200 all of the stories were saying that her fight would have been cancelled if she didn't make it in time. Reem's only getting a fine?

NSAC's policy is if you miss the time window the fight is off. Ohios is you get a fine I guess.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sprecherscrow posted:

So you make it a percentage of purse like missing weight...

yeah, that's what I would have suggested

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

Even though I think Rothwell is a solid fighter and I love a new matchup in the heavyweight division part of me is happy that Rothwell versus Werdum isn't happening... yet. Rothwell just hit a brick wall against JDS and I feel like Werdum also could have completely shut down his game or even finished him. I'd rather see Rothwell get an easier match and then fight against a top 5 dude later.

Werdum probably would have picked him apart , but who the hell knows what's going to happen in a Rothwell fight? His fights are consistently memorable/exciting/bizarre and I always look forward to them. I especially wanted to see him try to grapple with Werdum.

They also chose the least interesting replacement possible out of the top ten.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sprecherscrow posted:

I have this same rule in real life but instead of a grace pound it is a grace 'the first hundred pounds'

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If Werdum fought against Big Ben the same way he fought against Stipe - rushing forward swinging recklessly with his chin exposed - I have little doubt we'd be in the Rothwell Era right now.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Rothwell's mummy guard leaves him exceedingly open to the body and leg kicks werdum loves, but it might make it harder for werdum to 1-2 his way into the plum. I think we can safely say that rothwell would win by submission

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
People understand that not everyone is capable of shutting someone off with a short right hand while in full retreat right.

There are tons of people werdum would have got away with that with

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
JDS is the worst possible match up for Rothwell, too quick. I still believe in the goblin King, his is an ugly and slow power.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dangersim posted:

People understand that not everyone is capable of shutting someone off with a short right hand while in full retreat right.

There are tons of people werdum would have got away with that with

i don't think he fought any different than he did against everyone he managed to beat up. his entire game is built around surging, relentless aggression and pressure from training with cordeiro. stipe is the guy who was good enough to punish him for swinging and charging out of stance .

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think he fought any different than he did against everyone he managed to beat up. his entire game is built around surging, relentless aggression and pressure from training with cordeiro. stipe is the guy who was good enough to punish him for swinging and charging out of stance .

I think in that moment he got a bit wilder and more reckless then he usually does (he might have been rocked) but it wasn't like it was hugely out of character.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dangersim posted:

I think in that moment he got a bit wilder and more reckless then he usually does (he might have been rocked) but it wasn't like it was hugely out of character.

that's true but i think there's moments like that in all of his fights, it's just that they usually come when the other guy is backing up kinda hurt, and very few heavyweights are good at fighting while moving backwards so werdum gets away with it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

fatherdog posted:

Tim Tebow got signed to a major league baseball team like, this week, man.

I'm not sure how a legitimate professional athlete still in his prime signing the most basic development contract possible is anything like this.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to bet $1000 on CM Punk. I want to dare to dream like he has.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

K8.0 posted:

I'm not sure how a legitimate professional athlete still in his prime signing the most basic development contract possible is anything like this.

If you're not sure how a guy who sells a lot of jerseys and has never played baseball, who wasn't particularly good in a sport completely unrelated to baseball, signing a contract with the Mets is anything like this, then you probably should avoid conversations where things get compared to other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You do realize that he has a contract with the Mets, but he's not on the actual Mets pro baseball team. He's signed to play like four levels down from pro ball. More like if Punk were headlining a midwest Z League card, and also if there was even the tiniest chance he might one day belong in the UFC.

• Locked thread