Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Das_Ubermike posted:

I just spent the last few evenings getting caught up on this LP, i'm really enjoying it and i'll be sad to see it come to an end. I didn't realize you were the one who LP'd the Siren:Blood Curse that I enjoyed so much a few years ago. So uh, thanks for the many hours of free entertainment.

It's funny. I made the first LP of this game back in '07 because I thought it was underrated and wanted to get people into it, then went on to the sequels. And now I'm finding Siren videos all over Youtube, I guess due to the PS4 re-release. Well, nothing is as obscure as it used to be what with streaming and emulators. I'm glad this game has found a kind of second life.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just spent the last few days watching both this LP and supergreatfriend's LP, and I'm thoroughly creeped out and eager for more. This is possibly the best horror game I've ever seen, even though I know I'll never dare to play it myself. Unlike Silent Hill the plot is actually compelling for me - don't ask me how it holds my interest when Silent Hill's plots don't.

How much of the game would you say is left? (How many updates, rather?)

I think there will be just five or six more updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Egomaniac posted:

It's funny. I made the first LP of this game back in '07 because I thought it was underrated and wanted to get people into it, then went on to the sequels. And now I'm finding Siren videos all over Youtube, I guess due to the PS4 re-release. Well, nothing is as obscure as it used to be what with streaming and emulators. I'm glad this game has found a kind of second life.

I think there will be just five or six more updates.

I look forward to each and every one of them - thank you!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Huh- that last short story at least complicates my theory about the twins.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Sad we're almost done, but you did say you were going to give this level of treatment to part 2 as well, so it's all good.

Does Blood Curse need a new looking at, or is it already high def and fully explored? I'm watching these blind because your style greatly rewards surprise and enjoying the ride.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
was it only siren 1 that was re-released on ps4 or did 2 get a (miraculous) re-release as well?

just finished re-reading your LP of 2 and was wondering if there was any chance that game would get a second life too
while I much prefer to plot and feel of 1, 2 is rather enjoyable and I honestly feel it deserves some sort of second chance in the west

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011

Arkanumzilong posted:

was it only siren 1 that was re-released on ps4 or did 2 get a (miraculous) re-release as well?
Only the first Siren, sadly.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

zA Zombie posted:

Only the first Siren, sadly.

I'm hoping SCE will right the wrong and release Siren 2 in the US via the Playstation Store.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Archive 093 - Burnt scrap of white coat

Archive 094 - Special issue of Atlantis magazine

Take another look at what Hisako saw on Day Two at 6:44am.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I've yet to watch the videos but I have to thank you immensely for translating those side stories and making videos of the ARG site! I tried to find both of those after reading your first LP of this like 8 years ago and replaying the game and couldn't. I nearly tore my hair out trying to get the site to work on Wayback Machine.

Does anyone know what the hell was up with the car in Reiji's story?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I don't get how Datatsushi gets surprised by a flood of red water. Isn't all this, the water, the shibito etc, his?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
A-aw... I was sad enough when the teacher got killed. This is just... :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

coleman francis posted:

I don't get how Datatsushi gets surprised by a flood of red water. Isn't all this, the water, the shibito etc, his?

I dunno, Hisako seemed to not realize it was going to happen back in video 73 either. I'm thinking the flood happened as a side effect of the several times floodgates have been changed throughout the game. And such a small move might have meant the difference between life and death for the whole world.

Some musings from a "blind" viewer:

1. I'm guessing Shiro did something to immolate himself past revivification into Shibitohood

2. Who were the voices calling out to Tamon at the start of his level? Ghosts of his parents maybe?

3. Called it, Kyoya is DEFINITELY trapped in time, and is the young man described in "The Hanuda Incident" as seen in the ending. Whether or not that means the Shibito he sees are real there, or normal humans he's hallucinating as such, is still up in the air.

4. With Kei, could you have shouted before climbing up the ladder in the well and turned the tables on the Shibito waiting at the top by having him start climbing/jumping down?

Finally, am I imagining things, or have a couple of the secondary objectives been purely "challenge runs", notably Akira's timed rescue of Yoriko, and Shibito Tomoko's stealth adventure, and didn't actually change anything?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'd say it's halfway between challenge runs and "How it really happened": Tomoko stealthed past the Shibito because that would be the most logical action.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Finally, am I imagining things, or have a couple of the secondary objectives been purely "challenge runs", notably Akira's timed rescue of Yoriko, and Shibito Tomoko's stealth adventure, and didn't actually change anything?

More or less what Iceclaw said. Secondary objectives in general are how things "really happened". But they do have at least some in-world justification. For instance, if Akira and Yoriko hadn't hurried they might have missed the umi-gaeri seen in the next video. If Tamon hadn't raced to the top of the watchtower he wouldn't have heard the announcement from the school. For Naoko to defeat all the shibito she had to unlock the gate where the mine cart was stored, and another character needs to get through later. Like most of these, they aren't justifications the characters doing those things would know about, and they may be a bit shoe-horned, but they're there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh, I get the ones that directly unlock things, including the more obscure and antilogical ones. The two I mentioned specifically felt redundant however.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
In Tomoko's case, the 2nd mission where she can't be seen actually makes sense to me. She still thinks she's normal, and doesn't see any contradictions to such if none of the shibito see her.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Archive 085 - Eri Azuma's vinyl record

Tomoko's room in the house at Tabori had the same poster of this idol as the one Tamon found in the Kondo house. If we had stayed in the room we could have heard more of the song: Bonus 4

Archive 091 - Missing persons poster

Namiko Yoshikawa should be a familiar name by this point in the story. See Update 12 and Archives 28 and 41.

Archive 092 - Skyfish

See Archive 49 and the Extras section in the OP for additional information on skyfish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kei's voice seems different and has for a little while.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Does it now?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Iceclaw posted:

Does it now?

Woah really? I never even caught on to that during ego's first LP. Oh Siren.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Remind me which Archive talks about those statues that Kei has? I remember them, just not where.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ah man, I'm itching to ask about some stuff with Kei, but I think it will have to wait until the end of the LP. Egomaniac, could you leave the thread open for a bit to address plot questions?

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Remind me which Archive talks about those statues that Kei has? I remember them, just not where.

The Uryen, archive 57, found by Shiro in the Miyata Clinic on the morning of Day Two.

Discendo Vox posted:

Ah man, I'm itching to ask about some stuff with Kei, but I think it will have to wait until the end of the LP. Egomaniac, could you leave the thread open for a bit to address plot questions?

Sure, I don't think we're in danger of running out of space in the thread. In the old LP I posted some developer Q&As and fan theories for the final update.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Archive 097 - Tamon Takeuchi's childhood diary

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tamon... :smith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is...is that what the shibito see, when they turn?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Based on what we saw with Tamoko and later Harumi, I'd say yes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kavak posted:

Based on what we saw with Tamoko and later Harumi, I'd say yes.

Dude, spoilers! I've never seen this game before! (Oh god, does anyone I like in this game get out alive? Don't answer that. :( )

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dude, spoilers! I've never seen this game before! (Oh god, does anyone I like in this game get out alive? Don't answer that. :( )

I meant Harumi seeing Tamoko and her family.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kavak posted:

I meant Harumi seeing Tamoko and her family.

Oh! I'm sorry, now it makes sense. And yeah, I agree. Shibito get...what they want. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh! I'm sorry, now it makes sense. And yeah, I agree. Shibito get...what they want. :(

Hisako DID say they're opening the gate to paradise. Maybe for them, it is.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm really getting mistrustful of all things perception wise in this game regardless of who is seeing it honestly.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
What activated him turning now? He can't have turned much earlier, because the other shibito still chase him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Domus posted:

What activated him turning now? He can't have turned much earlier, because the other shibito still chase him.

I'm guessing being caught in the red water flood and genuinely immersed started it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

He seemed to be getting close before the flood hit. Might just be willpower.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
a combination of willpower running out, getting repeatedly immersed in the water and genuinely running into what might be his parent's shibito's might be what is finally taking him over

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Archive 095 - Devotional painting "Paradise"

Archive 096 - The Homuranagi

"Siderite" is a term used for iron that comes from a meteor. Homuranagi means something like "flaming blade".

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
seems like those burried/burned shibito welcomed the fire from the uryen; well, except those two that ran away from it instead.
wonder if those, specially with how Kei mentioned them ''resisting the siren's call'' are actually sane about their condition.

not sure if this can be discussed openly; but mina and risa clearly refer to 'Kei' as Shiro, or am I just hearing things?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arkanumzilong posted:

seems like those burried/burned shibito welcomed the fire from the uryen; well, except those two that ran away from it instead.
wonder if those, specially with how Kei mentioned them ''resisting the siren's call'' are actually sane about their condition.

not sure if this can be discussed openly; but mina and risa clearly refer to 'Kei' as Shiro, or am I just hearing things?

I always got the impression that those were people who were dragged into the otherworld but were less "faithful" than the shibito we've met, and killed themselves to avoid becoming one.

And you're right about that spoiler- can we talk about that now?

I had the opposite experience with the boss battle to yours, IIRC. I figured out a pattern of some kind for the sniping section pretty quickly, but took many tries to figure out how to hit Jun with the Uryen without him nailing me. Datatsushi was slow enough to nail first time, thank god.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Arkanumzilong posted:

Well, a man has to do what a man has to, right? That, and it's not like Shiro wasn't a psychopath to some degree, what with having killed and buried Mina shortly before the beginning of the game. I like how the game tricks you with that one. The shibito here are the victims of 27 years ago's landslide. They were resurrected by the Siren while still buried. :stonk:

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 10, 2016

• Locked thread