Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Marching Powder posted:

If anyone could make a TUF thread so it isn't spoiled for people in weird countries in the monthly I'd be greatful!

There is a new season of TUF going on... and at least 3 people watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
gently caress yeah OP, want this season to keep being great. Also props on the thread m foZy the bear does it again !!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
For people tuning in --

This season has a new but excellent twist -- each contestant is already a champion in some regional MMA organization. So it's a full tournament of champions.

Instead of fighting to get into the house, the fighters were seeded at the start of the season by the UFC, with the usual 1-16, 2-15... matchups.
These seedings weren't shown to the two coaches Joseph Benavidez and Henry Cejudo, who decided who they wanted on their teams based just on what they saw in an open workout session.

The team selection went like this:
- Coach A picks fighter 1
- the fighter matched up against fighter 1 is assigned to team B
- Coach B picks fighter 2
- the fighter matched up to 2 is assigned to team A

Bit tedious, but got the job done.

The first two fights were good. The skill level and aggression were just a cut above what we usually see in TUF contestants. I was hooked off of that alone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Historically, TUF has drawn fighters who can speak decent English, on the premise that they need to be able to talk to each other to create drama and material to cut into a TV show.

This time, credibility came first, so there are regional champions from Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, and Japan. Guys who don't have the greatest English.
Fears of having no material were overblown.

2 reasons:

1. there's plenty of humorous episodes where two people are working real hard to understand each other and you're not sure if they really got each other.
Benavidez tries to explain tapering off a micro-camp leading up to the fight to Hiromasa, the Japanese Shooto champion, and is sincerely struggling to make sure he doesn't overwork or hurt himself.
"You... [points to airdynes] just bike [spends 10s miming pumping the airdyne handles]. You want to grapple?... No... grapple. Ok?"

The Mexican champ (of an Arizona org), Brandon Moreno, and Alexandre Pantoja, a Brazilian are slated to fight each other.
And yet they still try to hang out at the house. Spanish and Portuguese are close enough that they can sort of get by. But when Moreno tries to explain that his family is in the pinata business, Pantoja doesn't get that work. He takes Moreno's miming to mean that they make... Christmas trees.

2. the fighters' background packages are great, regardless of language
Typically, the bios and back stories presented on TUF come off really glossy. But here, they're very genuine and get you on their side pretty quick.
Their backgrounds are more diverse, too. You see guys from all walks of life who fight and have managed to get into to the TUF house.
There's one shot where Hiromasa is sitting in front of the wall of championship belts at the house. He notes that just seeing the belts lined up motivates him to emerge the victor.

Dana White talks up how impressed he is by the caliber of fights and the fighters, saying that he thinks the winner might cause 125lb champion Demetrius "Mighty Mouse" Johnson some trouble. That's really promotional talk. I would separate any prospect of the eventual winner facing Mighty Mouse from the viewing enjoyment equation. Just be glad that TUF is putting on some good free fights.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

There is a new season of TUF going on... and at least 3 people watch it.

You could at least use the old Junie Browning thread tag

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Little guys put on the best fights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

For people tuning in --

This season has a new but excellent twist -- each contestant is already a champion in some regional MMA organization. So it's a full tournament of champions.

fatherdog posted:

In all honesty "We rounded up every flyweight champion in the country, the best of the best, and they're going to compete to see who gets the privilege of receiving a life-altering beating from Mighty Mouse" is a compelling concept.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

This season is much better than the past few seasons because the fights are actually good. Seriously, watch the first episode if you have not watched it yet.

If you care about the personal drama stuff, that stuff is much better as well.

The only thing they could really stand to fix is the god awful canned reality show music that sounds like it was ripped straight out of Kitchen Nightmares.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I guess this isn't on Fight Pass yet. Sad!

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

This season is good! The fights are good and the stakes for individual fighters are clear through the backstories. Having fighters from around the world makes it a lot more interesting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol, someone on MMA Junkie pointed out that one of the fighters looks like Cody Garbrandt in this pic:

Jamie Alvarez -- doesn't really look like Cody in other pics.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lmao Henry cejudo can't shittalk at all

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lol at Page attempting to talk himself up as Cejudo being scared of him

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also a thing I just realized about Page is that even though this show is only reigning champions, he's actually coming off a loss to another guy in the house - he and Alexandre Pantoja fought in an RFA vs Legacy Fighting Superfight card in a champion vs champion match where neither guy's title was on the line.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
drat this is a good rear end fight.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The fights on this season are crazy good.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I feel like they're striking pretty evenly but Page isn't getting hurt by anything Antolin throws and the reverse is not true.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wtf is "You went down" supposed to mean, that was a very bad stoppage.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I feel like they're striking pretty evenly but Page isn't getting hurt by anything Antolin throws and the reverse is not true.

I thought the body kicks were hurting him every time.

loving awful stoppage.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I thought the body kicks were hurting him every time.

loving awful stoppage.

He didn't look hurt at all, up until the last one, but I guess they were likely having an effect

EDIT: lmao at Benavidez' :mad: face

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

He didn't look hurt at all, up until the last one, but I guess they were likely having an effect

EDIT: lmao at Benavidez' :mad: face

His hands dropped pretty much every time and he would rush forward to try to pay Antolin back for hurting him. I thought it was really obvious the kicks were messing him up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Here's that shot of Hiromasa in front of the belts:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Remember when Damacio Page got guillotine choked by Brian Bowles three minutes and thirty seconds into the fight?

(No not that time, the other time).

I wonder if something crazy like that will ever happen again. The closest I can think of offhand is Bigfoot's two TKO losses to Cain in the first round, but the second was about two minutes faster than the first.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Jacare vs Chris Camozzi weren't the same submissions but that was straight up beating a time trial

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Jacare vs Chris Camozzi weren't the same submissions but that was straight up beating a time trial

I think he means the fact that Bowles submitted him at the exact same time in both fights. It was pretty wild at the time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

His hands dropped pretty much every time and he would rush forward to try to pay Antolin back for hurting him. I thought it was really obvious the kicks were messing him up.

People do that all the time when they get hit clean, whether they get hurt or not. Page wasn't showing any damage whereas Antolin was notably flustered by some of the shots he got hit with. That might be because those shots weren't hurting Page until he got caught with the last one, or it might just be because he has better composure/poker face than Antolin.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

People do that all the time when they get hit clean, whether they get hurt or not. Page wasn't showing any damage whereas Antolin was notably flustered by some of the shots he got hit with. That might be because those shots weren't hurting Page until he got caught with the last one, or it might just be because he has better composure/poker face than Antolin.

Getting frozen with a body kick, dropping your hands and rushing your opponent after getting hit are all signs to me that a fighter has been hurt and Page was doing all of them almost every time he got kicked in the body. People do that all the time when they get hit clean because it hurt them and they want to return the favor. This isn't something rare or new. It's like people shaking their head or smiling after getting hit. There is hardly a more obvious case of body shots hurting and wearing a guy down. Antolin's corner immediately told him to go to the body more because it was working so obviously well.

I also don't agree that Antolin was flustered. He fought the same way throughout the fight and won because of it, despite getting punched hard numerous times.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 15, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Getting frozen with a body kick, dropping your hands and rushing your opponent after getting hit are all signs to me that a fighter has been hurt

Then you're going to be wrong a lot because, as I said, guys do that all the time when they get hit clean whether it hurt or not.

The reason I said he didn't appear to be hurt is that he didn't slow his output or begin looking tired, which is what generally happens when you're actually getting worn down via hits to the body.

quote:

I also don't agree that Antolin was flustered. He fought the same way throughout the fight and won because of it, despite getting punched hard numerous times.

There were several shots that he responded to by immediately backing off, going purely defensive, or in some cases catching himself on his hands and scrambling away. That doesn't mean he was hurt, but it does generally mean he temporarily lost his composure in reaction to the strikes he was getting hit with, which is probably more an indication of the fact that Page has had over twice as many fights as him than any significant difference in power.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

rushing your opponent after getting hit [is a sign] to me that a fighter has been hurt

I don't really get this one. Is it not conceivable to you that a fighter doesn't get hurt after getting hit and still wants to answer quickly, especially while he's in range? And might especially do so if he's mentally composed because he's not hurt?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

page shouldn't breed doggos and the ref made a really bad stoppage to a fight that was still anybody's

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I don't really get this one. Is it not conceivable to you that a fighter doesn't get hurt after getting hit and still wants to answer quickly, especially while he's in range? And might especially do so if he's mentally composed because he's not hurt?

Not when he is doing that along with the other things I mentioned.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
I'd given up on this mostly terrible show but this season has been really good so far. Very cool fights. Look forward to seeing Mighty Mouse beat one of them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Kinda surprising the #2 seed only has five fights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lol Tim Elliot is a loving suck-up

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Tim Elliot saying the dumbest poo poo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
These are the most flat-footed flyweight I've seen.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That transition to the back and choke was cool as gently caress.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Kinda surprising the #2 seed only has five fights.

Welp

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm the caption writer debating whether I should spell it out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Is that a misheard shuck?

• Locked thread