Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
jack in. jack on. jack off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Such courage

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Talk about snatching 7ailure from the jaws of 6S!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :iamafag:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm already planning headphone jack nostalgia parties.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

They could have at least made it USB type-C, but I guess that wouldn't have let them force all headphone makers to purchase licenses form them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
iphone 8 will have no touchscreen.
It will be voice command all the way.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When will Apple make a phone that you can never turn off until it needs to recharge

Honestly surprised they haven't done this already, they'd receive a huge cash bonus from the CIA

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm already planning headphone jack nostalgia parties.

Oh man I've figured out my Halloween costume.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Fried Watermelon posted:

When will Apple make a phone that you can never turn off until it needs to recharge

Honestly surprised they haven't done this already, they'd receive a huge cash bonus from the CIA

hint: TLA's can already turn on phones remotely. Having a non-replaceable battery works wonders for this.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

so how about the two cameras. thats kinda cool i guess

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
poo poo gently caress rear end

cumsucking cock rear end

dick poo poo piss

wireless headphones are only good when you need to put your phone on a stand so you can jerk it and pound your but at the same time while flailing around like a idiot why not

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Saw some kids today who'd never head of headphones #onlynoughtieskidsremember

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

to be fair, that's like their business model basically

Yep, Apple cuts a feature and passes the savings buck on to you to replace it, preferably with a proprietary version that they sell.

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah I've never liked bluetooth car audio integration. There's never any high frequencies so calls are always really muffled sounding and every other thing out of your mouth is "what? I'm sorry what was that again?" and the volume/dynamic range is terrible so you either can't hear calls at all or they're blasting you out of the car.

Don't forget that all these automobile hacking attempts go through the Bluetooth. Having an active Bluetooth setup is an invitation for hackers to try and do it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't the new bullshit headphones super expensive too? I'd heard somebody saying they cost triple digits.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I would just like to point out to everyone that tons of phone accessories use the headphone jack (like those credit-card readers food trucks use for a prominent example) but now if you want your accessory to plug into an iPhone you absolutely need to use their proprietary Lightning connector

for which you will pay Apple extra to license their patent

but it's the only way to plug anything into the iPhone now

wheels within wheels man, follow the money

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Aren't the new bullshit headphones super expensive too? I'd heard somebody saying they cost triple digits.

$160 for the privilege of earbuds that will fall straight to the ground when they inevitably slip out of your ears like earbuds always do

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yep. $169 MSRP. They have a five hour battery life and are not physically connected, so, lose one of the buds, go buy another pair, sucker.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

Yep. $169 MSRP. They have a five hour battery life and are not physically connected, so, lose one of the buds, go buy another pair, sucker.

RIP Apple. gently caress, Steve Jobs really was the best thing that company had going for it.

I'm happy with my 4G anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wait, hold up, do airpods not have a mic, because it seems like they don't have a mic

wtf :psyduck:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I can't imagine this plays well with the idiot audiophile market, regardless of how using the lightning jack actually affects the sound

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
People will still buy it and buy whatever stupid expensive proprietary thing they need because Apple's demographic is the "have money and don't give a gently caress" crowd.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hahaha, looks like Belkin is making a Lightning-compatible dongle that allows you charge your phone while using headphones. The privilege to do so just costs you $40 bucks.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

loquacius posted:

I would just like to point out to everyone that tons of phone accessories use the headphone jack (like those credit-card readers food trucks use for a prominent example) but now if you want your accessory to plug into an iPhone you absolutely need to use their proprietary Lightning connector

Oh poo poo that's right.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

feeling better all the time about my decision to just get an SE to replace my 5 and I'm honestly expecting my next phone to be an android

yes

ive been replacing the shity bottom-barrel iphone 4s (not 4S!) that we issued to employees with 16GB SEs as quickly as I can

they are quite nice.

loquacius posted:

very astute :prepop:

so - what's to stop Square etc. from coming up with a bluetooth card reader?
(let's handwave away the security issues for the moment,just spitballin here)

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 8, 2016

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

so how about the two cameras. thats kinda cool i guess

Wait til you see the iphone 7S+, It's has 4 cameras, one lightning port, and they had to remove the 'call' functionality because they found most users don't make calls anymore.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This is how tech bubbles burst.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aralan posted:

I can't imagine this plays well with the idiot audiophile market, regardless of how using the lightning jack actually affects the sound

well they can probably be sold expensive "special" adapters since the DAC is now going to be external, so it might actually be a win for the spergiest of them

though those dudes are insane so who knows

I'd think it will be a bigger issue for random customers who buy knock off replacement adapters or get exposed to the wonders of bluetooth audio

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IT'S THE BEST IPHONE EVER

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Seriously though, lol if you care about this or indeed anything

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You know what would be cool is like shared listening zones, so if you got some wireless headphones you can share what you're listening to and see what other people are sharing and everyone can tune in and have a little headphone party. :slick:
Here's a more conventional idea. Why don't you just ask what other fuckers are listening to, instead of eavesdropping through the internet like a loving alien?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

935 posted:

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

Are you telling me it seems unlikely that tons of people might, say, sit at their desk listening to music on their phone at work all day and not want to burn through their battery in the process

Because I do that sometimes

I also smoke up and listen to music in bed at the end of the day when depending on what I did that day my phone might already be at like 35%

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

If you listen to music for 8 straight hours your phone might go down 20%, 30% if you have a super old phone. 50-80 hours of audio for the 6 series.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

I'm more concerned for when I'm at the gym and my headphones run out of battery (lol) I'd either have to charge them for a bit, put an adapter on my phone and have a backup set of earphones, or just say gently caress it and listen to the horrible pop music accompanied by grunting.

This is a first-world problem but really, I never had to worry about my headphones spontaneously dying before.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

935 posted:

When is an apple product not below 10% battery? Apple products might as well be plugged into the wall at all times with how horrible their battery life is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
in the keynote they listed 10 features of the new iphone and it was all poo poo that it already has except one feature which actually removes an existing feature (the headphone jack). lol apple.

still better than android tho :smug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

935 posted:

If you listen to music for 8 straight hours your phone might go down 20%, 30% if you have a super old phone. 50-80 hours of audio for the 6 series.

I dunno man, even if your numbers are right, an extra 20% of your phone's battery life is actually a large amount to suddenly have to account for, as opposed to the conventional use case where it is negative something percent

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ill put my iphone SE up against the best android phone. what is the bset android phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I have a cheap car with only an aux jack that I had to pay extra for. gently caress apple

• Locked thread