Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

935 posted:

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

Given the typically iffy iPhone battery life I think it's pretty common for people to keep the phone plugged in and listen to music at work. If you want to use headphones for a long conference call and your phone is low on juice it's a potentially serious issue. If you're traveling and want to listen to music or watch a show while on a layover or in your hotel room after a heavy day of use its a problem. There are solutions but they all cost significant money/are inconvenient/are worse than if the phone just had a universally used connector port. It might be ok if the phone offered any sort of unique advantage in return but it very much doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

buttcrackmenace posted:

so - what's to stop Square etc. from coming up with a bluetooth card reader?
(let's handwave away the security issues for the moment,just spitballin here)

The 7 uses a proprietary bluetooth tech too. That's why you can't just buy 10 dolla BT headphones and gotta shell out $170 for Apples airbuds.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Thin Privilege posted:

I have a cheap car with only an aux jack that I had to pay extra for. gently caress apple

just get one of those lovely kits that turns your aux jack into a bluetooth receiver, or get a better car i don't care

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

935 posted:

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

Not music, but travelling, watching Netflix, and having it plugged into a power pack is pretty common.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I remember when the very first iPhone came out the headphone jack was designed so that only apple headphones would fit in it. People were so pissed Apple started selling an adapter. They discontinued this retardedness at the next iPhone.

Hopefully this will happen to this garbage as well. Oh wait they'll just make it even worse somehow.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ork of Fiction posted:

The 7 uses a proprietary bluetooth tech too. That's why you can't just buy 10 dolla BT headphones and gotta shell out $170 for Apples airbuds.

This seems unlikely, it has to work with regular Bluetooth. If it doesn't connect to cars or speakers or whatever else it's not usable for a lot of people. Like, are headphones a special case with this or what?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aralan posted:

just get one of those lovely kits that turns your aux jack into a bluetooth receiver, or get a better car i don't care

The Apple iPhone 7: Get a better car i don't care.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
soon you gonna need an apple branded ear to use an iphone

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
iPhone 7: lol, poors

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

This seems unlikely, it has to work with regular Bluetooth. If it doesn't connect to cars or speakers or whatever else it's not usable for a lot of people. Like, are headphones a special case with this or what?

Yeah the airbuds are proprietary and won't work with anything else. But other bluetooth stuff should work.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

what magic phone lasts 8 hours playing music?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Stealthgerbil posted:

what retard uses a phone to play music? who would buy a single apple product ever? i literally have not bought one in my life

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

Yeah the airbuds are proprietary and won't work with anything else. But other bluetooth stuff should work.

That's supposedly not true, the airpods (really want to call them "Airbuds") just require manual pairing with other Bluetooth devices.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Stealthgerbil posted:

One where you can turn off the wifi, bluetooth, 4G. I listen to music about 8 hours a day and charge up every 4 days or so.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, you want to use your iPhone in your car? Better get the new Apple iCar, we've removed the steering wheel because it was outdated, now you can steer the car using a wireless headset (battery lasts 2 hours), just say "turn left" or "turn right" to easily switch lanes!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

935 posted:

Every single day. Plug my phone into my aux jack in my car and the cigarette lighter for while I drive with Waze and music.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao I thought all the speculation articles were dumb for claiming Apple was planning to remove the standard headphone jack.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stuntman posted:

soon you gonna need an apple branded ear to use an iphone

Sorry, this sound can only be heard by Apple's iCortex auditory cortical implant. Think of augmenting yourself today.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

lmao I thought all the speculation articles were dumb for claiming Apple was planning to remove the standard headphone jack.

i figured it was probably true. it's a totally apple move.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I GOT A NEXUS 6P ON GOOGLE FI, THE BEST drat PHONE AND CARRIER ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's sort of annoying since Apple is the only company that's still making a smaller high performance smart phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Every single day. Plug my phone into my aux jack in my car and the cigarette lighter for while I drive with Waze and music.

Oh poo poo yeah, the GPS factor, I forgot this

Like, the iPhone 7 as-is is basically unusable as a GPS with a normal car

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Smythe posted:

I GOT A NEXUS 6P ON GOOGLE FI, THE BEST drat PHONE AND CARRIER ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My man

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, the GPS factor, I forgot this

Like, the iPhone 7 as-is is basically unusable as a GPS with a normal car

OK come on, there are plenty of lightning cable car chargers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

you guys don't understand, it takes real courage to charge your customers more for less things

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3s-qZsjK8I

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
apple buyers already making plans and scoping out what extra poo poo to buy to get around this stupid rear end feature, like they haven't even considered it's probably dumb as gently caress to buy the new phone. battered consumer syndrome, just lmao.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Smythe posted:

This but 5x.

Seriously though Fi is amazing. My phone bill got cut in half and I don't have to worry about international roaming anymore.

Edit: and I have a loving headphone jack

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

carrion kit posted:

apple buyers already making plans and scoping out what extra poo poo to buy to get around this stupid rear end feature, like they haven't even considered it's probably dumb as gently caress to buy the new phone. battered consumer syndrome, just lmao.

Hmmm... sounds like you wont be purchasing the new phone because you are poor. checkmate

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

etalian posted:

That was kinda dumb on your part considering this poo poo was leaked ages ago.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

OK come on, there are plenty of lightning cable car chargers.

And then you can't plug it into your audio jack

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
the greatest thing about Apple has always been and continues to be the sheer rage they instill in nerds, especially the variety of nerd who gets apoplectic at the stoplight when a nice car pulls up beside his econobox

STUPID SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT DOESN'T KNOW A KIA CARRIES JUST AS MANY PASSENGERS AS A MERCEDES

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i fuckin love apple. by merely existing they troll millions of times harder than i ever could. my hats off to em

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Haverchuck posted:

Hmmm... sounds like you wont be purchasing the new phone because you are poor. checkmate

selling my aux-hole on backpage is one of the oldest professions, actually, and is MY career choice. anyway, it's only until i get my ITT tech degree.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

c'uck c'uck i'm ga'y posted:

And then you can't plug it into your audio jack

gently caress.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

carrion kit posted:

selling my aux-hole on backpage is one of the oldest professions, actually, and is MY career choice. anyway, it's only until i get my ITT tech degree.

Bad news about that last part....

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

unpacked robinhood posted:

I wish lots of hopeless idiots buy the new iphone and complain about the new jack policy

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you think fail rear end headphone jacks were a permenant fixture in tech? In 3 years android fail phones won't have 1/8" jacks ("headphone jacks") from the 70s either. Someone has to pave the way. Apple will pave the way. Thus it has always been: Cucky pizzone.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

opus111 posted:

uuuhhh there's a box in my parent's house in my old room worth a serious % of my yearly salary lmao.

I'll take my finder's fee in the form of top shelf tequila.

OK, middle shelf.

OK, El Jimador in a plastic bottle at the Walgreen's on your way to the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Paying more for less = cool rich person

Do I have this right?

• Locked thread