Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Are digital jacks superior to analog jacks? Or is it a bunch of bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

canpakes posted:

this type of Jack was invented for telephone switchboards in the 1800s. Looking at a modern iPhone the 1/8" audio jack stands out as hugely incongruous and full of fail. Getting rid of it is 100% the right thing to do and now is the time to do it. fail phones (aka all non-iPhone "smartphones" ) will follow within 2 years at the very latest. LOL if you actually deny any of this. THE IPAD IS FAIL ITS JUST A BIG IPHONE DURRRERR -you guys in 2008 probably.

Can't wait for the Apple car propriety square wheels, round wheels are old technology.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punk rebel ecks posted:

probably superior but loving over people who want to use headphones made by reputable companies is still pretty messed up imo

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

who cares, people will use whatever somebody sells them

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

my life is obtusely affected by the design decisions of a phone and let me tell you what: i'll buy it then bitch about it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you are the first guy in this thread to say that, good job man

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

punk rebel ecks posted:

They're superior for enforcing DRM

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

analog jacks require a DAC which can vary in quality, which is why some phones/~audio sources~ can objectively sound like trash regardless of what headphones you use with them. with a digital jack you can provide your own DAC and be able to control how good/bad the sound is

but that hasn't been a serious issue for anyone besides audiophiles for like half a loving decade because most manufacturers stopped putting trash DACs into their expensive phones, and even then both iOS/Android now allow for external DACs via the USB port for the people who are that bothered by it

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Apple is poo poo Jerry

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
how else they gonna mine the masses for coin

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nearly everyone in IYG mentions buying an iPhone every year. How did that become a thing?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who's jack

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
*runs into the thread; is panting and sweating*

.. I'm never buying an iphone because they removed the 3,5" audio jack!
Please felate me GBS for sticking it to the man!

*masturbates furiously* because not even GBS would put out

lol at anyone bragging about not buying a loving mobile phone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
need a You're Pfone Scuks subforum

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

Sorry, this sound can only be heard by Apple's iCortex auditory cortical implant. Think of augmenting yourself today.

Phonekind divided.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

The iPhone finally becomes as jacked as its user base.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 9, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Biscuit posted:

it takes Courage

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I have a $40 smartphone and I listen to podcasts and music on an iPod nano.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I have a Nexus 5X because gently caress paying for a flagship phone, but also gently caress not having a 1080p screen. I don't understand the people that buy a flagship phone and then put a case on it; it's the worst of both worlds.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
you guys are wrong

the headphone jack IS the iphone 7

you have to plug it up in your butt

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

School Nickname posted:

The iPhone finally becomes as jacked as its user base.

Lol

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Frosted Flake posted:

Nearly everyone in IYG mentions buying an iPhone every year. How did that become a thing?

Toxic consumerism.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

You Don't Need Jack.(TM)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol if you would buy an iPhone even if it still had the headphone jack.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol the screen is like from 1990 and the phone costs £800.

Well played Apple, well played.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can we agree that even if headphones do switch to digital connectors it'd be a horrible outcome for everyone to use their own proprietary ones so certain headphones only work with certain devices

Because right now literally any headphone will plug into literally any device and that is honestly fantastic and I just loving know they're gonna ruin it.

Like if they all used USB-C or something I'd complain but I'd accept it, but if Apple headphones only work with Apple devices with Lightning connectors and Android devices only connect to headphones using Googlatron ports and PCs only use headphones with Microsoft Windows Headphone Sound Connector XBox Digital Pro Technology 2018 I will move to the woods and live in a gutted VW bus

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

The Dennis System posted:

I have a $40 smartphone and I listen to podcasts and music on an iPod nano.

These $20 Sandisk mp3 players are absolutely fine, very handy for traveling, where you can't always charge your phone, or where you wouldn't have to mind so much if your poo poo disappeared. Unfortunately the new ones don't work with Rockbox, however the generation right behind this one (the Clip+) does, for all those added filetypes and other benefits. I picked up a pay as you go Nokia 105 for the same reason. Cheap, rugged, and having shitloads of battery life are nice; you can check your Facebook at the hostel or a tablet.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 9, 2016

eig
Oct 16, 2008

all i kno is i literally did not buy the Moto Z bc it didnt have a headphone jack and i was like how am i supposed to charge my phone at the same time

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i have good headphones and i often have my phone as GPS in the car and I hate bluetooth because it's a goddamn hassle, so if i were to upgrade it would be basically like paying somebody to punch me in the face

also i got beef with apple - gently caress your drat clock app and weather app! lovely pieces of poo poo haven't been updated in a decade. also, itunes. i'm getting an android next time

sounds like

apple's got

too many cooks in the kitchen :smuggo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Germstore posted:

I have a Nexus 5X because gently caress paying for a flagship phone, but also gently caress not having a 1080p screen. I don't understand the people that buy a flagship phone and then put a case on it; it's the worst of both worlds.

When is the new Nexus phones coming out? I am waiting for that to happen before making the jump to Google Project Fi.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Biscuit posted:

Versus bragging about buying a phone ?(ie an entire subforum)

They are both retads

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I said come in! posted:

When is the new Nexus phones coming out? I am waiting for that to happen before making the jump to Google Project Fi.

Buy one now, they're switching to lovely Chinese companies now for political reasons and they are going to suck

eig posted:

all i kno is i literally did not buy the Moto Z bc it didnt have a headphone jack and i was like how am i supposed to charge my phone at the same time

Isn't that the one with the retaded modular accessories that all cost hundrefs of dollars

Another post chinese buyout design, naturally

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Germstore posted:

lol yeah it's crazy that people put an easily replaceable thin cover on a $700 phone that bangs around in their pocket and gets dropped on the floor

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't own a smart phone, and don't need one. All people ever do is check loving Facebook, and gently caress that poo poo.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Aralan posted:

lol yeah it's crazy that people put an easily replaceable thin cover on a $700 phone that bangs around in their pocket and gets dropped on the floor

Why pay twice as much for a metal case when you are covering it in plastic? You are covering your thin sleek EXPENSIVE metal case with plastic and make it look like a much cheaper phone.

You are like an old lady that puts plastic covers on her sofa.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont even own a TV

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Owning a new iPhone is a social thing for people who never learned that interests and opinions are different from "a personality."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Imo the Nexus 4 was the coolest phone ever, but I dropped mine and of course it broke because it was made of glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mein Eyes! posted:

These $20 Sandisk mp3 players are absolutely fine, very handy for traveling, where you can't always charge your phone, or where you wouldn't have to mind so much if your poo poo disappeared. Unfortunately the new ones don't work with Rockbox, however the generation right behind this one (the Clip+) does, for all those added filetypes and other benefits. I picked up a pay as you go Nokia 105 for the same reason. Cheap, rugged, and having shitloads of battery life are nice; you can check your Facebook at the hostel or a tablet.

Huh? That't not an iPod though?

• Locked thread