Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
North Dakota becomes first US state to legalise use of armed drones by police

It is unclear whether local police departments will use weaponised devices, even though they are technically legal

Armed drones could be used by police in the US state of North Dakota after local lawmakers legalised their use.

While they will be limited to “less than lethal” weapons, tear gas, tasers, rubber bullets and pepper spray could all be used in theory by the remote controlled flying machines.

In a classic case of unintended consequences, the original sponsor, Republican state representative Rick Becker said he was unhappy with the way legislation turned out.

His original intention was to prevent law enforcement officials from using the unmanned aerial vehicles from conducting surveillance on private property without a warrant.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/north-dakota-becomes-first-us-state-to-legalise-use-of-armed-drones-by-police-10492397.html

The future is real, soon a bunch of fat guys will be behind computers all day with these things,

to keep america safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I knew this was inevitable since that stand-off ended with the Battlefield tactic of turning a robot into a Jihad Robot by strapping bombs to it. That's the kind of crazy thing that gets noticed though it was never the focus of the news.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I can't wait to be pepper sprayed by a toy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I always wonder how authorities are supposed to track rogue drones.

Like what theoretically stops me from paying cash for some shitbox drone and putting some battlebots poo poo on it and taking police drones out of the sky with it? Like with a net gun say?

Or robbing Amazon drone deliveries for that matter?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shooting down a police drone is a really nice and legit use case for guns imo

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Blazing Ownager posted:

I knew this was inevitable since that stand-off ended with the Battlefield tactic of turning a robot into a Jihad Robot by strapping bombs to it. That's the kind of crazy thing that gets noticed though it was never the focus of the news.

It was for us here in Dallas. They talked about it for a good week on the news.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
i bet they're going to be treated like police animals too, so if you like scratch the paint on the death drone when they wreck it into you while trying to hack you apart that's an instant life sentence

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

queue flight of the valkeries as several drones, smacking into trees, spraying pepperspray into bystanders faces, and shooting tasers into each others' propellers as they chase a dude that stole a purse down a busy street

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Denver Hoxha posted:

i bet they're going to be treated like police animals too, so if you like scratch the paint on the death drone when they wreck it into you while trying to hack you apart that's an instant life sentence

Destruction of police property :cop:

Didn't someone getting the poo poo beat of them in Chicago not too long ago get charged with that for bleeding on the officer's uniforms? lmao

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This frightens me, legitimately.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macasaurus posted:

queue flight of the valkeries as several drones, smacking into trees, spraying pepperspray into bystanders faces, and shooting tasers into each others' propellers as they chase a dude that stole a purse down a busy street

lol

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's funny is there are certain materials that play hell with these kind of low-grade drone cameras, so no doubt criminals will start wearing reflectors and lights on non-visible spectrum just to gently caress with Drones

We're definitely taking some steps into the cyberpunk era.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Before the police had to be physically present to shoot an innocent, now they are going to get gunned down paki style except the operator won't even know what he's doing

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
if any bitch rear end drones come after me ill hit them with a tennis racket

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

I knew this was inevitable since that stand-off ended with the Battlefield tactic of turning a robot into a Jihad Robot by strapping bombs to it.

that was the exact point at which we branched off into the Bad Timeline

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i thought that was 9/11

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

What's funny is there are certain materials that play hell with these kind of low-grade drone cameras, so no doubt criminals will start wearing reflectors and lights on non-visible spectrum just to gently caress with Drones

We're definitely taking some steps into the cyberpunk era.

people always talk about these badass ways we're going to fight back against the nightmare dystopia, like this and those infrared LED glasses that defeat face-recognition software, but really everything will just get worse until every one of us is dead. nothing cool will ever happen.

except the bomb robot, that owned

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Drones are gay

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
I don't fear death anymore. In fact, I kind of welcome it.

Send in the drones.... they're already herreeeeeeee

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Do EMP guns exist?

I think it would be really funny to EMP someones drone and then laugh at them through my binoculars because I'm a pussy jerk.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
not yet but probably something similar will eventually

right now the only reliable way to generate an EMP afaik is to detonate a nuclear device which has other effects too lol

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

not yet but probably something similar will eventually

right now the only reliable way to generate an EMP afaik is to detonate a nuclear device which has other effects too lol

They messed around with EMP cannons back in the 40's or 50's. They ditched the idea because they're big, need a lot of power, and even if you disable something with it the crew's just going to start shooting at you, so may as well save the effort and blow it up.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
you can generate an effective emp with basically just a capacitor and a coil of wire but the range is bad and there really aren't any advantages over just throwing a rock at the drone

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Shooting down a police drone is a really nice and legit use case for guns imo

yeah, for once guns are actually useful for something other than shooting brown people and family members

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Skynet's moving up it's project timetable I see

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Macasaurus posted:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Now who might they use these against in north dakota

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

you know in judge dredd the judges at least had to actually ride motorcycles to chase you down and murder you

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

End Of Worlds posted:

that was the exact point at which we branched off into the Bad Timeline
Was it really worse or different than when the police helicopter bombed MOVE?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ it's not even safe to show weed in your own back yard anymore

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isn't north dakota a haven for insane survivalist gun nuts who were already convinced that drones were coming to kill them?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
lmao at the future we are creating. Hyper-weird light up reflector hair and light-refactoring underwear is coming soon and I welcome it. People are going to string up nets in their yards because why not and then we can get to the legislation that makes nets taller than x feet illegal.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
This is one of the times when I was more naive I should have been -- I thought it wouldn't be until the first drone terror attack that law enforcement adopted them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dave_Indeed posted:

Do EMP guns exist?

I think it would be really funny to EMP someones drone and then laugh at them through my binoculars because I'm a pussy jerk.

EMP is fantasy sci fi poo poo and if you ever see an EMP large enough to disable electronics you're being turned into a shadow by the nuke that caused it

Drone Rifles, however, are real as gently caress. You can find everything you need to build them on eBay, just about

All about focused beams of 2.4 ghz RF.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Kill all drones

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jonny 290 posted:

EMP is fantasy sci fi poo poo and if you ever see an EMP large enough to disable electronics you're being turned into a shadow by the nuke that caused it

Drone Rifles, however, are real as gently caress. You can find everything you need to build them on eBay, just about

All about focused beams of 2.4 ghz RF.

Fuckin' rad

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm assuming they signed this into effect so they can start quietly murdering the Native American Protestors that the media is currently ignoring?

http://indigenous-network.com/the-largest-native-american-protest-in-history-is-happening-right-now-and-you-need-to-know-about-it/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuZcx2zEo4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noej6ZF5cKE

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Are they going to pull the same poo poo they do with the K9 units? If you shoot down a police drone its equal to shooting a human officer?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is going to end extremely well and will not be abused in any way, shape, or form whatsoever. it also certainly will not be taken up in other states because ALEC has no interest in seeing this spread everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I hope the lawyer doesn't have a wife or kids to have to explain this to.

"Hey hon, how'd the trial go? You finally get that Drone Warrant thing agreed on in court today?"
"Well, uh. Now they can carry beanbag shotguns, tear gas, tasers, and really the framework is in place to make them lethal at any time."
"Ah well! Better luck next time!"

• Locked thread