Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

We hosed up.

Turns out giraffes have 4 distinct genetic mutations that puts them as 4 different species, no one really bothered to check until now.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/774011197972709376

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/science/a-quadruple-take-on-the-giraffe-its-four-species-not-one.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Link to study & conclusions: http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)30787-4

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Science has gone too far.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of these boil down to "What the gently caress is a 'species'?"

There has never been a good answer. It's a matter of mushy language and our desire to categorize.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I think it's just the lighting

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

There has never been a good answer. It's a matter of mushy language and our desire to categorize.
This sounds like bestiality apologism to me :crossarms:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
those horses are hosed up imo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Isn't it things that can produce viable offspring? Like there's your odd mules and whatever from similar species being close enough to interbreed but they can't have offspring of their own.

Just based on my high school biology so im prolly wrong I guess

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Giraffes are the same but our understanding of them is different, imo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pick posted:

drat our human lust for taxonomy!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Isn't it things that can produce viable offspring?

Like there's your odd mules and whatever from similar species being close enough to interbreed but they can't have offspring of their own.

Some mules are fertile, as are some tigons and ligers (hence ti-tigons and ti-ligers and etc). But no one would reasonably categorize tigers and lions as the same species.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Some mules are fertile, as are some tigons and ligers (hence ti-tigons and ti-ligers and etc). But no one would reasonably categorize tigers and lions as the same species.

hm welp then idk you're probably right

also could we stop loving killing everything goddamn

quote:

Over the past 30 years giraffe numbers have dropped to about 90,000 individuals from about 150,000. Right now there are only about 4,750 northern giraffes and 8,700 reticulated giraffes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The real question that everyone's thinking is how do they taste

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

also could we stop loving killing everything goddamn

wait 'til you hear about rhinos

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I already know about Rhinos :(

but like what do giraffe necks make dicks gently caress long time or what? what in the actual gently caress why are we just slaughtering every single cool animal lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

The species problem is a mixture of difficult related questions that often come up when biologists define the word "species". There are a wide range of approaches to defining how we identify species and how species function in nature; each approach is known as a species concept. The number and types of species concepts which exist are constantly changing, but there are at least 26 recognized species concepts.[2] Biological reality means that a definition that works well for some organisms (e.g., birds) will be useless for others (e.g., bacteria) particularly due to concerns regarding if the species reproduces asexually or sexually. The scientific study of the species problem has been called microtaxonomy.[

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I already know about Rhinos :(

but like what do giraffe necks make dicks gently caress long time or what? what in the actual gently caress why are we just slaughtering every single cool animal lol

lol what's amazing is most species rebound if you just. stop. shooting. them.

and they need enough space to live, but whooooooph a lot of it is to just stop shooting them.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How come we're the human race but we have different races of humans? Science debunked again!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Pick posted:

That's only half true. They only have viable offspring if they pass on their mother's DNA. This does happen, but genetically speaking you're getting another mule (or whatever).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

That's only half true. They only have viable offspring if they pass on their mother's DNA. This does happen, but genetically speaking you're getting another mule (or whatever).

Well yeah it's a mess, but I was trying to use common species, the problem is more pronounced in cases with boring poo poo animals

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

These guys are just arguing that they should be upgraded from subspecies to species. We already knew they were different. It's kinda like how everyone's talking about the northern white rhino subspecies going extinct, but the southern white rhino subspecies is doing great.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I still think we won't know until we taste them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We're a bunch of loving giracists.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i wish you still posted those threads about animals and stuff those were nice

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

ruddiger posted:

We're a bunch of loving giracists.

suck my dick

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

ROFLburger posted:

eh.... nah

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ligers and tigons are cool, but leopons look like unholy abominations which beg for a merciful death.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

it's hard to post them from a phone, also i'm tired every second of the day

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
giraffes look loving weird. seriously, like what the gently caress

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

giraffes look loving weird. seriously, like what the gently caress

theryre basically big geese

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf4tf6y3uuA

I honestly can't tell if this is satire or....

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

anyone ever seen a giraffe gently caress? i bet it's hilarious

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:nws: https://youtu.be/qVpFco3QCjU mature audiences only contains giraffe boner

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
for taxonomical purposes, anyone I don't like is a different species than me

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Well they're still a planet to me. :pluto:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pick posted:

imo we should get rid of all the little subcategories and just call them all "cats"

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

Those were one of the best bits of GBS.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm micro-aggressed by this microtaxonomy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i believe the finest type of giraffe is the Rothschild's Giraffe

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

good job reposting poo poo from reddit op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like the reticulated giraffe best because it reminds me of simcity 2000

• Locked thread