Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm clear on the concept of how oppositely charged particles attract one another in order to zero out the imbalance. What I'm stuck on is by what means a charged particle "detects" (for lack of a better word), the presence of a nearby particle of the opposite charge and, having done so, summons up the motive power to travel the relatively great distance to meet it.

Why do they move? How do they move and change direction without losing mass or momentum? How do they selectively travel to the opposite particle and only the opposite particle even though other attractive forces (like gravity) seem to act indiscriminately?

Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This video just raises further questions!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

This video just raises further questions!

you are a dog, your opposite is paula abdul

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Should those cats be considered racist stereotypes?

Also, authentic Don Bluth or an imitator?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

you are way over thinking this, just gently caress paula abdul

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Going by the video looks like the opposite of Paula Abdul is a cat. And since dogs are the opposite of cats I can only logically conclude that I am in fact Paula Abdul.

So you're saying I should gently caress... myself??

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Going by the video looks like the opposite of Paula Abdul is a cat. And since dogs are the opposite of cats I can only logically conclude that I am in fact Paula Abdul.

So you're saying I should gently caress... myself??

finally! you are making sense

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
go gently caress yourself applewhite

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I seem to be precipitating a lot of racist cartoon cat discussion in GBS today.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

go gently caress yourself applewhite

See I was hesitant about asking this question in GBS rather than in the comments section of an article about magnetism on Science.com, but this exchange proves my instincts were correct.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

See I was hesitant about asking this question in GBS rather than in the comments section of an article about magnetism on Science.com, but this exchange proves my instincts were correct.

well, when your dick attracts rear end in a top hat, you should just gently caress yourself

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Originally it was live action, but test audiences reacted harshly to the implied interracial romance so the studio hastily replaced The Wild Pair with animated cats in their likeness. Few people remember the era of hiphop where all onscreen depictions of rappers were achieved with animated cats, but the legacy is still respected through oblique references like Meow the Jewels.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I'm clear on the concept of how oppositely charged particles attract one another in order to zero out the imbalance. What I'm stuck on is by what means a charged particle "detects" (for lack of a better word), the presence of a nearby particle of the opposite charge and, having done so, summons up the motive power to travel the relatively great distance to meet it.

Why do they move? How do they move and change direction without losing mass or momentum? How do they selectively travel to the opposite particle and only the opposite particle even though other attractive forces (like gravity) seem to act indiscriminately?

Asking for a friend.

No one knows.

No one knows.

Why would they lose mass? Momentum changes when they move.

See answer 1.

There are only 4 forces and the other 2 are more like E&M than they are like gravity. Gravity is unique.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Asking for a friend.

God.

Next question.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

In researching for that post I discovered this article, which i feel the need to share.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
it's to maximize entropy op

particles wanna f

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

because all things, even on the subatomic level, lust for annihilation

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

did you know free neutrons are inherently unstable? they'll decay into a proton and an electron if uncaptured for sufficient time

not all hydrogen is primordial, and the universe wants interesting things to happen i guess(??)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

MiracleWhale posted:

because all things, even on the subatomic level, lust for annihilation

if this were true then symmetry would have been perfect and everything would have hosed off right from the start but a smidgeon of upstart matter just didn't get the memo for some reason

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It has to do with proximal distance of the electron field. For instance, every atom has a maximum field size that varies with heat. The proximal field distance is the distance that occurs at the heat ceiling/floor of the universe. So the inertial field variance at perfect heat determines the distance to obtain magnetic traction at any temperature. This weak cohesive bonding occurs in groupings of elemental particles and is the result of a common proton point being resolved through a singularity through time. It is essentially gravitational acceleration at very short distances, and the elastic tension of this bond decreases as heat increases and the individual atoms have less distance to redshift because their vibrational inertial signature is physically bigger. Hth.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I want MC Skat Kat to weigh in on this

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

hmmm yes. hmm fascinating *writes equations down* yes I think I understand

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

really though it's a cool question op, it works off the intuition it always takes energy to move somewhere

but since force potential is a thing, often times it takes energy not to move somewhere

i sincerely Hope This Helps ( hth )

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mother fucker I already posted that equation

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

mother fucker I already posted that equation

ya people pay more attention to me though - just watch now everybody will be posting obvious stuff late in the thread

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

i am ugly but rich and she is hot but poor it makes perfect sense for opposites attract eyyyyyyy

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It has to do with proximal distance of the electron field. For instance, every atom has a maximum field size that varies with heat. The proximal field distance is the distance that occurs at the heat ceiling/floor of the universe. So the inertial field variance at perfect heat determines the distance to obtain magnetic traction at any temperature. This weak cohesive bonding occurs in groupings of elemental particles and is the result of a common proton point being resolved through a singularity through time. It is essentially gravitational acceleration at very short distances, and the elastic tension of this bond decreases as heat increases and the individual atoms have less distance to redshift because their vibrational inertial signature is physically bigger. Hth.

Pfft, give it a rest neil degrasse tyson. Science can sit this one out, taoism has it covered.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

where's a good place to go to jam about the natural world when you got a good buzz going on that isn't all stuffy straight edge pomp but isn't also a bunch of irrelevant non sequiturs? i feel in a jam here

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

this is nonsense

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moon Atari posted:

Pfft, give it a rest neil degrasse tyson. Science can sit this one out, taoism has it covered.

Whatever side the light falls on the razors edge of time is the fundamental building block of free will. Simple divination. :shrug:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MOOBS! posted:

i am ugly but rich and she is hot but poor it makes perfect sense for opposites attract eyyyyyyy

you have awful boobs

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you have awful boobs

you need $70 to make rent

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Applewhite posted:

Asking for a friend.
One way to think about it is this:
Charged particles generate something called an electromagnetic field that extends through all space. When a charged particle is in an electromagnetic field, it experiences a force. So if you have two charged particles, they each generate electromagnetic fields and respond to each other's fields by accelerating.

Why would moving change a particle's mass? Charged particles can exchange momentum with each other and with the electromagnetic field, but the total momentum of everything is a constant.

Why there are two kinds of charges and only one kind of mass is a good questions that I'll try to answer later.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MOOBS! posted:

you need $70 to make rent

I loving wish! add $700 to that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
plus another 5 just to be sure

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

Why there are two kinds of charges and only one kind of mass is a good questions that I'll try to answer later.

there are multiple kinds of charges and mass that we know of

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3D2RaDVkylY

No one knows how nature be like it is but it do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

The Protagonist posted:

there are multiple kinds of charges and mass that we know of

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I was referring specifically to the fact that electric charge (which, yes, is one of many types of charge of which we know) may be positive or negative, while gravitational mass (which is the only kind of mass we know about, by the equivalence principle) is only positive.

• Locked thread