Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

It's been 17 years since Sept 9th, 1999; the day the Dreamcast came into our lives and boy what a ride it's been!

Did you have a Dreamcast? What was your favorite game? What was your least favorite game? Did you use the portable VMU? Did you ever find those sailors?

Also, what have you done with your life in the past 17 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

jesus loving christ Power Stone was my jam

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I remember playing NBA2k at CompUSA and wishing I had one. I ended up getting one and put a lot of hours into it. Was a sweet system.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I have six fuckin dreamcasts

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
FUCKIN LOVE THAT CONSOLE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Posting in a pity gently caress thread

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

mind the walrus posted:

Posting in a pity gently caress thread

welcum

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I burned Dreamcast games and sold them for $5 each at school. NBA/NFL 2K games were like a guaranteed two hundred bucks.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

MOOBS! posted:

jesus loving christ Power Stone was my jam

same af over here

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Did you have a Dreamcast? What was your favorite game? What was your least favorite game? Did you use the portable VMU? Did you ever find those sailors?

Also, what have you done with your life in the past 17 years?

In order:

Yes
Skies of Arcadia because fukkin' air pirates!:yarr:
All games on DC were special :angel:
I used it to take care of a Chao in Sonic Adventure!
I sure did!
Not a goddamn thing!

Happy Birthday, DC!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Power stone ruled. I imported Shenmue 2 from europe. I think you could even play powerstone online at the end there.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
how about that toy soldiers game also i feel old now thanks fucker

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
NFL 2k on dreamcast is still the best football game

too bad EA got the exclusive license

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
My best friend's parents bought him a dreamcast which to me was ridiculous because he already had a PS2 AND an N64 so I was pretty bitter and spiteful about the whole thing, but then about 2 months later I read online that the dreamcast was dead and they wouldn't be making anymore game for it and I was like "haha yessss suck it chris"

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

soul calibur is, I think, a top 5 bideo game. like ever made, if you consider the timeframe it was released in.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
DREAMCAST IS THE BEST OR SUCK MY drat DICK

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel vs Capcom was also cool.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Soul Caliber is still my favorite fighter of all time. Game fukken owned.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sophitia doing the shield bash scoop move on my balls over and over until i leak a final, tepid load into her low poly cleavage

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I wish I was still hustling Virtua Tennis games in the dorms for natty light money. Simpler times back then

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A few years back you could buy basically any Dreamcast game factory sealed for literally a dollar.

I got a sealed first production copy of Space Channel 5 with the holo insert thinggy for $1.

One day I need to fix my dreamcast, because at some point it just decided that instead of letting me play games, it needs to randomly hard crash and take me back to the initial factory reset screen. :saddowns:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Did anyone get on the internet with it?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember in like 2003 when Circuit City had brand new Dreamcasts for like $20. I'm still annoyed I didn't buy them all and keep them.

I still see brand new Dreamcast controllers once in a while.

It's funny how much I loved the Dreamcast when it came out and still love it today because I hated the Genesis and swore never to buy a Saturn because of how bad they hosed that up. But the Dreamcast had so many good games and very few bad ones. The controller was great, I still blow people's minds when I show them that two VMUs plug into each other to transfer saves, and the graphics to me for some reason look better than the newer PS2 does.

Sadly it didn't stand a chance with all the absurd fuckups Sega pulled years before it. Nobody bought the Sega CD so who the gently caress did they think were going to buy the 32x?? :psyduck:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I had a Dreamcast that was destroyed in the flood that destroyed everything else I owned, almost a year ago to the day... Lol my loving life is a mess

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I tried but I think I had broadband at the time and couldn't find/afford the broadband adapter because it was like 2002 by the time I got one for cheap.

Jet Grind Radio was awesome back in the day but has aged loving terribly if you play the Steam port, which sucks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

I tried but I think I had broadband at the time and couldn't find/afford the broadband adapter because it was like 2002 by the time I got one for cheap.

Jet Grind Radio was awesome back in the day but has aged loving terribly if you play the Steam port, which sucks.

What the poo poo are you talking about? Jet SET Radio has aged like a fine wine and the Steam port was just fine.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo that rhymed haha didn't even mean to do that! Pretend that's a line from a rap in Jet Set Radio's incredible soundtrack

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I pplayed the he'll out of fantasy star online until it got shut off. Twas a good time.

Anyway, I'm looking for sailors. Does anyone know where sailors hang out?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

timp posted:

What the poo poo are you talking about? Jet SET Radio has aged like a fine wine and the Steam port was just fine.

The physics engine is garbage. Jet Set Radio Future was the future. Is the future. Will be the future.

JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Not as good as the Panasonic 3DO

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's legal here :getin:

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Pushing down makes you side step instead of crouch in the sequels to Soul Calibur and that's the only real improvement they've ever added to the series because it was almost perfect to begin with.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Pfft, celebrate the more important birthday of FF8. Haters vacate

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Sonic Adventure were the only two games I really played on Dreamcast. I tried to play Phantasy Star Online but it was a bitch to get the Dreamcast to connect to the internet and when I finally did, the servers were loving ghost towns.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I bought a dreamcast recently and it's good

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

bradzilla posted:

Pfft, celebrate the more important birthday of FF8. Haters vacate

FF9 is better, and in fact is the best final fantasy.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

I bought a dreamcast recently and it's good

Why? You could emulate the console and every game it ever had on a laptop from 5 years ago.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
No?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh wait I had Grandia II for Dreamcast. I played the poo poo out of that game until I got to the end of Disk 1 and Disk 2 had an error on it or some poo poo so I never found out how the game ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Metropolis Street Racer

Rez

VGA output

The Dreamcast was great

• Locked thread