Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
OP are you a fan of Xavier Renegade Angel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

You passion for the film medium is bigger than any Academy Award, OP.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Flesh Forge posted:

I too would like to see more of the creative process that took place over 9 years and resulted in this fabulous finished product.

Ccs posted:

Please post more of the concept work for this film. I'm not going to believe you are being earnest until i see the documentation of this film's development. I want concept sketches, storyboards, notebook papers filled with ideas, as much as you can provide. Please.

http://imgur.com/a/iejHn

http://imgur.com/a/WGI4t

http://imgur.com/a/5djGU

http://imgur.com/a/HZph5

http://imgur.com/a/yR78A

http://imgur.com/a/CBfDR

Big Centipede posted:

I live just outside of savannah in garden city and if you meet me in my yard at 2:45am when I get off work I'll give you a domestic beer in a can.

I don't live in Savannah anymore. I lived in the 600 block of East Anderson for 2 years if that means anything to you.

Corek posted:

Why did you title the thread like this if you weren't expecting to look pathetic. This doesn't even rise to the quality of the guy who made a whole cartoon movie about seals himself and it was lovely.

It is a little bit self deprecating with knowledge of the response I would get from most people.

Lord Krangdar posted:

OP are you a fan of Xavier Renegade Angel?

No.

Macnult posted:

You passion for the film medium is bigger than any Academy Award, OP.

Thank you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There are things in your storyboard that I guess did not survive the editing process which seems a great tragedy to me

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Flesh Forge posted:

There are things in your storyboard that I guess did not survive the editing process which seems a great tragedy to me

I have significantly more storyboards in a binder. Basically an entire feature length film storyboarded out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jqKiVHS6x4

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Just wanted to drop by and vote for a loss.jpg animation

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Its somewhat shameful that people are so eager to reject and put down others so quickly. If this is what OP loves, and it comes from the heart what reason would you want to do anything but praise him for his self expression. Isn't that the point of art? OP might be on the right track here, if you aren't making works that reflect your creative soul then what exactly are you making? Someone elses standard of art?

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Stuff4and5 posted:

Its somewhat shameful that people are so eager to reject and put down others so quickly. If this is what OP loves, and it comes from the heart what reason would you want to do anything but praise him for his self expression. Isn't that the point of art? OP might be on the right track here, if you aren't making works that reflect your creative soul then what exactly are you making? Someone elses standard of art?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89douard_Manet

quote:

Manet embarked on the canvas after being challenged to give the Salon a nude painting to display. His uniquely frank depiction of a self-assured prostitute was accepted by the Paris Salon in 1865, where it created a scandal. According to Antonin Proust, "only the precautions taken by the administration prevented the painting being punctured and torn" by offended viewers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stuff4and5 posted:

OP might be on the right track here, if you aren't making works that reflect your creative soul then what exactly are you making?

If that video reflects his soul then, whelp. Even Hitler managed to make better art than that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think its totally legitimate art, I'm just hung up on the 9 years thing. It seems like it shouldn't have taken 9 years.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
Fine, I'll make the stupid loss.jpg animation. It will probably be completed in the next few months and I'll PM a mod here when it's done to see if I can make a thread for it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Maybe you should get a job or finish your education?"
"No! I have to spend the next months animating a meme for a internet forum!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Doredrin posted:

Fine, I'll make the stupid loss.jpg animation. It will probably be completed in the next few months and I'll PM a mod here when it's done to see if I can make a thread for it.

Being straight here, I don't think you should compromise your artistic goals to make somebody else happy. Unless paychecks are involved.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Flesh Forge posted:

Being straight here, I don't think you should compromise your artistic goals to make somebody else happy. Unless paychecks are involved.

I think I can fit it within my artistic goals. It should be a nice exercise.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Stuff4and5 posted:

Oh hi, every art college student ever, glad you could join the party.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I went to SCAD, you get B's if you have a pulse.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

The Stroker Ace posted:

I went to SCAD, you get B's if you have a pulse.

Probably.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...ame=aphrocarlin

Joking aside, OP, you got me reading Kafka now.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Ok where's the containment unit

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

This was literally my first thought

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015

grate deceiver posted:

Oh hi, every art college student ever, glad you could join the party.

I can't help but speak in the vein of great artists of the past who did everything they could to procure only just enough money to fund their personal projects. Some went broke and starved but they never compromised their work. Their art came before anything else in the world and thats what really made them masters. True dedication is powerful and is the only way to become historical.

And yes reality will hit you but it is a test to see if you are willing to break...

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I get it now.

OP, do you have a sister who is an artist or performer of some type?

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I get it now.

OP, do you have a sister who is an artist or performer of some type?

I have a sister who works for a company that deals with environmental and climate change issues.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Honestly, the worst part of all of this is that it's not even entertainingly bad, it's just boring.

Part of that is because there's no sound. So unless you're really familiar with "The Metamorphosis", you're probably not going to know what's going on.

The other part is that everything takes longer than it should. The titles stay up for 15 seconds. That's not too long, but since there's nothing else going on, and no sound, it's just empty, dead air time, and it sets the tone for the rest of the short. The next scene lasts for 1:30, and it's a static camera of a glitched out person on a bed. If there was narration, or you could hear the character's thoughts, it wouldn't be too boring, but as it is, there's just.... nothing.

The rest of it continues on like that. Static camera angles, scenes that go on far too long, barely any motion in the entire thing, and no sound at all.

None of these things by themselves are necessarily bad, but they combine to make the whole thing a boring slog to sit through.

One could argue that that replicates the feeling of learning Kafka in school, though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I would say it's pretty funny when combined with the title. Anyways I wish you the best op but I'd maybe focus on using your skills in a more marketable sense in the immediate future. Compromise your artistic integrity to make profit? Hell yes.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

thedaian posted:

Honestly, the worst part of all of this is that it's not even entertainingly bad, it's just boring.

Part of that is because there's no sound. So unless you're really familiar with "The Metamorphosis", you're probably not going to know what's going on.

The other part is that everything takes longer than it should. The titles stay up for 15 seconds. That's not too long, but since there's nothing else going on, and no sound, it's just empty, dead air time, and it sets the tone for the rest of the short. The next scene lasts for 1:30, and it's a static camera of a glitched out person on a bed. If there was narration, or you could hear the character's thoughts, it wouldn't be too boring, but as it is, there's just.... nothing.

The rest of it continues on like that. Static camera angles, scenes that go on far too long, barely any motion in the entire thing, and no sound at all.

None of these things by themselves are necessarily bad, but they combine to make the whole thing a boring slog to sit through.

One could argue that that replicates the feeling of learning Kafka in school, though.

Everything that you mentioned that made it bad was done intentionally. I'm glad in a way you didn't enjoy it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Doredrin posted:

Everything that you mentioned that made it bad was done intentionally. I'm glad in a way you didn't enjoy it.

I hope you realise that saying "it's poo poo on purpose" doesn't in any way change the fact that it's poo poo. I mean, you succeeded at making something that is boring and unremarkable, but why was that a desirable outcome in the first place?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

You see, OP is Gregor. The animation isn't an adaptation of Die Verwandlung, his life is. The animation represents Gregor's off-putting and non-communicative facade. This thread is the final act where he shows himself to strangers. We're supposed to toss apples at him until he returns to his room and dies.

What triggered your metamorphosis senior year that got you put on academic probation?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Actually it reminds me a little bit of Chriddof, except he prefers short mostly forms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPhXTn5M8Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrlqV8xVOs

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

One of us is going to have to lob an insult that breaks his shell and he can never dislodge.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This may be the best troll thread of all time.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

grate deceiver posted:

I hope you realise that saying "it's poo poo on purpose" doesn't in any way change the fact that it's poo poo. I mean, you succeeded at making something that is boring and unremarkable, but why was that a desirable outcome in the first place?

It is not poo poo on purpose, it is abrasive on purpose.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You see, OP is Gregor. The animation isn't an adaptation of Die Verwandlung, his life is. The animation represents Gregor's off-putting and non-communicative facade. This thread is the final act where he shows himself to strangers. We're supposed to toss apples at him until he returns to his room and dies.

What triggered your metamorphosis senior year that got you put on academic probation?

Kafka's work was autobiographical in many respects, it was only appropriate that I make something similar.

As for what triggered my metamorphosis, basically the same thing that triggered Gregor's: The realities of living in a modern society.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Doredrin posted:

Kafka's work was autobiographical in many respects, it was only appropriate that I make something similar.

As for what triggered my metamorphosis, basically the same thing that triggered Gregor's: The realities of living in a modern society.

I think the biggest problem with it is that while you might have intended for it to be merely abrasive, you overshot your mark and now it's just plain uninteresting.

Great art, abrasive or not, is art that demands attention. It is compelling enough that your own mind forces you to deal with it. Abrasive art is tremendously difficult to do because it has to ride the knife edge between being uncomfortable enough to be visceral and meaningful and thought provoking in its annoyance, while also being just good and compelling enough to make people not walk away from it.

Your movie is not that. It's just boring. Anyone who sees it out of context will just think they're looking at an amateur's animation test rendering and click away from it, then they'll never think of it again. They won't think "wow an intimate look into the mind of a post-modern civilization citizen" they'll just think "oh this must have been mistakenly uploaded to youtube" and click another video.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Please record an audio commentary for the film so I can learn more about your creative process.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
Sometimes people try to do something and it winds up so bad that it takes on a whole new life, like Tommy Wiseaus "The Room."

This ain't that. It's just dog poo poo. Get your life together, man.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This is like Colin's Bear by way of Robert Wilson, if Robert Wilson fell down and landed on his head.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Doredrin posted:

Abrasive on purpose, but accidentally poo poo.

There's not even enough here to mock. The romero and juliet seal movie took half the time, and was a lot better.

You know what, do the loss.jpg animation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

I think the biggest problem with it is that while you might have intended for it to be merely abrasive, you overshot your mark and now it's just plain uninteresting.

Great art, abrasive or not, is art that demands attention. It is compelling enough that your own mind forces you to deal with it. Abrasive art is tremendously difficult to do because it has to ride the knife edge between being uncomfortable enough to be visceral and meaningful and thought provoking in its annoyance, while also being just good and compelling enough to make people not walk away from it.

Your movie is not that. It's just boring. Anyone who sees it out of context will just think they're looking at an amateur's animation test rendering and click away from it, then they'll never think of it again. They won't think "wow an intimate look into the mind of a post-modern civilization citizen" they'll just think "oh this must have been mistakenly uploaded to youtube" and click another video.

I'd say it was one of those performance pieces where the film is merely a prop in the real work of art, this thread, but in order for even this to make an impression he'll have to take 9 years to come up with something better than the puppetmaster defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Doredrin posted:

Here are two quick pictures of things I did almost a decade ago. Even though I haven't been practicing, I think that I could probably do much better nowadays (they are both from life and not from photographs):

:nws:http://imgur.com/a/2IGzO:nws:

http://imgur.com/a/tTDSc

Do you have anything from after these two?

• Locked thread