Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Poe's Law" as a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
OP you've gotten yourself caught up in a narrative of 'being driven insane by the pressures of art world'. You know, where you are now doomed to obscurity as a 'misunderstood artist'. That people are being mean to you is proof of that 'cred', right?

The truth is that your preexisting mental problems caused your art to be unremarkably bad. You are aware enough of the situation that you would try to pass off a compilation of unedited pre-vis footage as a film, but also lack sufficient awareness to know people won't buy it.

There is a substantial difference between claiming you intentionally released unfinished test footage as art, and claiming that the audience's reactions were all intended fifteen steps in advance. You are not a puppetmaster. If you did your art correctly, you wouldn't have to call yourself Picasso and Kubrick, because your critics would be doing that for you. You're rationalizing your mistakes, twisting your failure to communicate into a shield against criticism.

I wish you well, but understand that you will never succeed - even as a 'misunderstood outsider artist' - unless you drastically change your approach.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 12, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sunday in the park with Doredrin

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The starving artist idea is a bizarre cargo cult approach to creativity that completely misunderstands cause and effect.

For every Van Gogh, there's a hundred homeless people sculting squirrels out of poo.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Senor Tron posted:

The starving artist idea is a bizarre cargo cult approach to creativity that completely misunderstands cause and effect.

For every Van Gogh, there's a hundred homeless people sculting squirrels out of poo.

The idea that talent is recognized early and people start producing their best works in their early 20s is from the renaissance era or earlier. If I was 50 years old you would have a point.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I once spend a couple of months on and off recreating David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust with my voice only. Which was a funny thing to do in my head, because guitars are mentioned in the song, and musical instruments in general are very important for a traditional rock band, but there would be no guitars or drums in my cover version. Somewhere down the line I realised that the idea was stupid and that my vocals sucked (and do suck to this day). All I have now is a twenty-second clip from the very beginning of the song. I have recorded some other nonsense in the same vein later on, though, but I've never spent more than two days on those 'projects' because they were essentially created to entertain people on the internet, including myself, and it would be really loving stupid to put more effort into them than that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Noam Chomsky posted:

This may be the best troll thread of all time.

You're welcome!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

TrixRabbi posted:

Please record an audio commentary for the film so I can learn more about your creative process.

I'd really like this too, yeah.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Doredrin posted:

The idea that talent is recognized early and people start producing their best works in their early 20s is from the renaissance era or earlier. If I was 50 years old you would have a point.

people who go on to succeed generally start producing better works than this in their early 20s.

and have the drive to improve from there rather than insisting they suck on purpose and that some day all the people who're saying that's the same as just sucking are going to change their minds for you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Successful people have internal motivation that goes way beyond producing a single piece of art in 9 years. Especially for someone who's consistently unemployed and therefore has free time, a real artistic drive would be forcing you to pump out work even regardless of quality. That's how most artists improve, they just keep doing poo poo because its what they love to do and the work naturally gets better over time. At this rate the OP will be a competent artist around the year 2116.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
My man you keep calling this deal "abrasive" and I agree that that's a goal worth admiring but your film consists entirely of static shots of slow, steady, uni-directional movement with no sound and I'm not really sure how one could go about making something more placid and un-abrasive than that

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd really like this too, yeah.

I don't expect to do any commentary any time soon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
There were also a lot of artists in Van Gogh's time who produced art somewhere between simply unremarkable and outright bad. They also lived and died penniless and nobody has ever thought twice about any of those people. I mean if that's your idea of the ultimate nobility or whatever, to exist in this world being misunderstood and suffering immensely for it for nothing and to the acknowledgement of no one ever, then fine I guess, but just keep in mind you only get to go around once.

What I'm saying is that you have a choice here. You can either improve and become a better artist, which you like anybody else absolutely has the capability of doing, or you can take the constructive criticism as a personal attack and tell yourself we're all just jealous and that you'll be vindicated after we're all dead.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 12, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

My man you keep calling this deal "abrasive" and I agree that that's a goal worth admiring but your film consists entirely of static shots of slow, steady, uni-directional movement with no sound and I'm not really sure how one could go about making something more placid and un-abrasive than that

Bart The General is abrasive (and genuinely a work of art). This is just dull.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bart The General is abrasive (and genuinely a work of art). This is just dull.

It is soul crushingly boring if you actually watch the entire thing through. Just like 2001.

quote:

(of a person or manner) showing little concern for the feelings of others; harsh. "her abrasive and arrogant personal style won her few friends"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Now that my man's justifications for how his movie succeeds as abrasive outsider art are becoming appropriately contorted, here's a fun exercise: imagine a movie that does not succeed on either these definitions or on more traditional definitions of artistic merit. Something that fails to provide entertainment, edification, etc. while also failing to provide the transgressive "lack of concern for the feelings of others" that my man's now highlighting as the crowning achievement of his movie

Can you do it, relying solely on a text rather than on an alleged intentionality of supposed-to-be-bad? There's no shame if you can't! Which may itself be the point, an assertion that all art has this inherent transgressive value and nothing can be dismissed simply because it's "bad" according to one set of criteria. Which would be dandy if these posts didn't have that constant undercurrent of "my genius will one day be appreciated", because if we accept that premise, there's way too much genius floating around for it to all ever be appreciated

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Has anyone told you your film was "soul crushing" or "abrasive"?

Of course not. No-one has told you those things, because your film is not those things.

'Abrasive' refers to harsh friction, not slow crushing or whatever. But even if you had read the dictionary correctly, and used more accurate terms like 'vacuous' or 'inert', you still cannot simply intend to be good. You have to actually make something good.

When you have to tell the audience that your film is 'soul-crushingly boring', because they don't actually feel that, what you communicate is that you are doing this purely for yourself. That's called being masturbatory and pretentious.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Of course not. No-one has told you those things, because your film is not those things.

To put this another way, my man's taking every unequivocal but dispassionate criticism of his film as an indication that it's had a profound impact on the viewer, when the opposite is actually true - to the extent that this thread is a fun diversion, it's in the disconnect between the self-professed impact of the movie and its ultimate lack of impact

Hence how "you're movie's dull and lame, man" becomes "ah yes, I have crushed your soul" over and over again

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

'Abrasive' refers to harsh friction, not slow crushing or whatever. But even if you had read the dictionary correctly, and used more accurate terms like 'vacuous' or 'inert', you still cannot simply intend to be good. You have to actually make something good.

When you have to tell the audience that your film is 'soul-crushingly boring', because they don't actually feel that, what you communicate is that you are doing this purely for yourself. That's called being masturbatory and pretentious.

quote:

imple Definition of abrasive
: causing damage or wear by rubbing, grinding, or scraping : of or relating to abrasion
: having a rough quality : used for rubbing something to make it smooth or shiny
: very unpleasant or irritating

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abrasive

quote:

tending to annoy or cause ill will; overly aggressive:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/abrasive

quote:

By the 1920s, abrasive had acquired the more figurative sense of annoying and infuriating. If you find someone abrasive, he or she grinds away at your nerves.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/abrasive

"grinds away at your nerves" AKA a seemingly go-nowhere film that does not seek to give the viewer any enjoyment.

According to those many definitions, my use of "abrasive" very much describes my film.

My mistake, I guess everyone has 10 minutes to watch a glitched character model slowly creep across the screen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Webster's Dictionary defines...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doredrin posted:

"grinds away at your nerves" AKA a seemingly go-nowhere film that does not seek to give the viewer any enjoyment.

According to those many definitions, my use of "abrasive" very much describes my film.

My mistake, I guess everyone has 10 minutes to watch a glitched character model slowly creep across the screen.

I've watched it at 2x and even then fast forwarded a bunch. I don't think anyone's literally sat through the whole thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'll admit I just skipped through the short a bit since it seemed kind of boring, but I don't get how it's supposed to be any of unpleasant, irritating, annoying, aggressive, or infuriating. There's not enough there for it to be any of those things.

Now, your posting, that rises to the level of unpleasant.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Doredrin posted:

Except that's the thing: nobody who decided they didn't have those 10 minutes had their "soul crushed". They instead decided to... skip around in the video, play it on fast forward, close the tab, etc. These are not profound reactions

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jenny Angel posted:

To put this another way, my man's taking every unequivocal but dispassionate criticism of his film as an indication that it's had a profound impact on the viewer, when the opposite is actually true - to the extent that this thread is a fun diversion, it's in the disconnect between the self-professed impact of the movie and its ultimate lack of impact

Hence how "you're movie's dull and lame, man" becomes "ah yes, I have crushed your soul" over and over again

In fairness, he's not that self-absorbed. It's a mix of "according to the dictionary/the back of the dvd case, this is a staggering work of incredible beauty" and inability to communicate his inaccessible inner feelings.

Dude probably does feel lots of despair about failing college, being institutionalized, and spending thousands of bucks on SA. I mean, who wouldn't? The trouble is the belief that we're 'supposed to' break out in tears at the immense tragedy of it all. Hence the thread title. And OP was smart enough to anticipate that he would be made fun of, so he's incorporating that into the narrative: "I'm supposed to be insulted until history proves me right (after I die but hopefully sooner)". That's what is supposed to happen. It's the natural course of things. "According to the dictionary..."

Of course in truth people who drop out of art school due to mental problems are a dime a dozen. That's effectively why we have one billion images of Sonic T. Hedgehog's penis. It 'should be' tragic, but it's not. At all.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 12, 2016

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Doredrin posted:

*You* are abrasive. Your youtube video is just boring and lovely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe the plan is to save this thread so that it and the video can be displayed together as part of a performance art piece?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's hilarious that people think this guy is being sincere. You dimwits are being 'trolled' and by mocking the OP, you're falling into his trap. Every time you insult him or give him words of encouragement, you make him stronger. He's probably laughing his tits off right now.

You guys make me sick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh cool, someone found those charcoal drawings I did in 11th grade Art class.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Yaws posted:

It's hilarious that people think this guy is being sincere. You dimwits are being 'trolled' and by mocking the OP, you're falling into his trap. Every time you insult him or give him words of encouragement, you make him stronger. He's probably laughing his tits off right now.

You guys make me sick

drat dude...thats a twisted tale right there

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe the plan is to save this thread so that it and the video can be displayed together as part of a performance art piece?

quote:

Gregor hardly slept at all, either night or day. Sometimes he would think of taking over the family's affairs, just like before, the next time the door was opened; he had long forgotten about his boss and the chief clerk, but they would appear again in his thoughts, the salesmen and the apprentices, that stupid teaboy, two or three friends from other businesses, one of the chambermaids from a provincial hotel, a tender memory that appeared and disappeared again, a cashier from a hat shop for whom his attention had been serious but too slow, - all of them appeared to him, mixed together with strangers and others he had forgotten, but instead of helping him and his family they were all of them inaccessible, and he was glad when they disappeared.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
settle down, yaws

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yaws posted:

You guys make me sick

Beautiful. Exactly the response I was hoping to trick someone into posting.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's fat turtles with carpal tunnel sitting in front of a computer all the way down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

It's fat turtles with carpal tunnel sitting in front of a computer all the way down.

Excuse me, I clearly picked Lobster.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doredrin posted:

seemingly go-nowhere film
Are you implying this is not actually a "go-nowhere film?"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Seems like a good time to listen to Louis C.K. watch Gap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_i9WUHK_gA

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The puppet master defense here is a weak one. Even if the OP is trying to do a puppet master thing, this thread is not some cog in an elaborate rube goldberg manipulation contraption. A guy posted a bad, boring video and people then said it was boring and bad. Not exactly legendary puppet mastery there.

It would be about as impressive from a manipulative standpoint to fake a sneeze in public and then wait for someone to say "bless you."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 12, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

It would be about as impressive from a manipulative standpoint to fake a sneeze in public and then wait for someone to say "bless you."

Right, but maybe if you recorded a hundred people saying "bless you", edited them together into a big montage, and played it at an art exhibit while you stand there sneezing, it would be awesome? I dunno, I'm no artist.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Basebf555 posted:

Right, but maybe if you recorded a hundred people saying "bless you", edited them together into a big montage, and played it at an art exhibit while you stand there sneezing, it would be awesome? I dunno, I'm no artist.

No, you're right, that's a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Which brings us back to where we've been the whole time: the movie is uninterestingly bad, the thread is interestingly bad (and thus, perhaps, good)

• Locked thread