Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I thought it was funny esp for a Iocal commercial

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It feels hackneyed from the start, and quickly descends into something approaching, but never quite reaching, satire.

It's bad.
But enough about your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rasta_Al posted:

Why are there so many drat mattress stores anyways? Is it like a mob front or something?

8000% markup

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chrs Gry posted:

From the company's Facebook page, the stores shutting down over this:

America sucks and I say this as an American.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rasta_Al posted:

Why are there so many drat mattress stores anyways? Is it like a mob front or something?

it seems a pretty safe bet. i dont think they really rot on the vine so you can store the same product for a couple years, meaning that you can buy when manufacturer prices are low. And almost everybody in the western world needs them, its not like convincing people they need a new oak coffee table.

oh and this is a market that amazon cant do much about because people wanna do that flop-down thing before they spend $700

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
You know there was some grumbling sodbuster of a Floridian shoving pack upon pack of that soda into the basket of their rascal before they tore off to complain about it. Get them deals son

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chrs Gry posted:

Haha they're not closing down anything. They're just saying that and they're going to assume everyone will forget (pun not intended) and then they'll just change their name to Niracle Mattress or whatever the least effort they will need in changing the signage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

looooollll doobies is coming back

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rasta_Al posted:

Bonnano

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Chrs Gry posted:

🎻

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Chrs Gry posted:

I'm so glad people lost their jobs over this. :911:

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Dreddout posted:

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Haha they're not closing down anything. They're just saying that and they're going to assume everyone will forget (pun not intended) and then they'll just change their name to Niracle Mattress or whatever the least effort they will need in changing the signage.

Fly by night furniture stores do this poo poo all the time. They'll post a plastic "under new ownership" banner in a month and be open for their Columbas Day Mattress Blowout!!!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Dreddout posted:

A lot of job openings were created during 9/11 so it's a touching tribute.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

9/11 was lots of years ago.. time to get over it I think

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bert Roberge posted:

God drat.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Bert Roberge posted:

:eyepop:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
9/11 was really funny

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I like this excuse

Does anyone by for a second that anyone in a mattress store in Texas had family that died in 9/11? I hope someone calls them out on that bullshit. I live in Connecticut and work in Manhattan and have never even met anyone who knew anyone who died in 9/11. What a bunch of BS.

My guess is the people in the store hate NY for some reason and thought it would be funny and they somehow forgot the internet existed when they thought no one would see their commercial outside of their community.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

cuck cuck im gay posted:

I like this excuse

Does anyone by for a second that anyone in a mattress store in Texas had family that died in 9/11? I hope someone calls them out on that bullshit. I live in Connecticut and work in Manhattan and have never even met anyone who knew anyone who died in 9/11. What a bunch of BS.

My guess is the people in the store hate NY for some reason and thought it would be funny and they somehow forgot the internet existed when they thought no one would see their commercial outside of their community.

err... so, san Antonio has a military base nearby, and I took it to mean some of the staff had family that got deployed, and were killed, as a result of 9/11.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My eyes very slowly grew very wide over the duration of this ad. This...seems like a joke that was never supposed to actually be aired.

It's not dark enough to be funny. It feels hackneyed from the start, and quickly descends into something approaching, but never quite reaching, satire.

It's bad.

I feel the same way about your posts

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
When 9/11 happened the teacher turned on the TV and I started laughing at the smoke, ugly buildings etc. At first everyone pretended they were shocked at my behavior but then they started laughing too. Then they started clapping. Me too. I'm clapping rightn ow

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Lord Binky posted:

9/11 was really funny

:agreed:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lord Binky posted:

9/11 was really funny

I honestly can't think of a single thing about 9/11 that wasn't funny.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Considering I lack basic human empathy I may be the wrong person to form an opinion on this but honest are people this upset over it for real?

The whole thing is such an over the top offensive horrible, horrible idea on every level I can't even take it seriously and I don't see how anyone could short of an actual 9/11 victim.

I mean the whole thing was such a incredible set of bad ideas it is honestly more funny than offensive, if you told me it was actually a parody and not a real commercial it would even be as funny.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
too soon op

it's not 11th yet

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lord Binky posted:

When 9/11 happened the teacher turned on the TV and I started laughing at the smoke, ugly buildings etc. At first everyone pretended they were shocked at my behavior but then they started laughing too. Then they started clapping. Me too. I'm clapping rightn ow

I was married at the time, and was about to get in the shower before work when my wife told me that CNN was reporting a plane had the twin towers. I made some sarcastic remark, assuming it was a private plane and pilot error. By the time I got out of the shower it was becoming clear that it was not just some little plane that bounced off the tower. It was a very quiet day at work for the most part.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Imagine if you will, a memorial video of 9/11 on youtube, you know, with the footage of the planes, the crashes, the ruin, etc, but with added-in well-timed laughtracks.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Hogge Wild posted:

too soon op

it's not 11th yet

It's never to soon to forget!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm lolling

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

it seems a pretty safe bet. i dont think they really rot on the vine so you can store the same product for a couple years, meaning that you can buy when manufacturer prices are low. And almost everybody in the western world needs them, its not like convincing people they need a new oak coffee table.

oh and this is a market that amazon cant do much about because people wanna do that flop-down thing before they spend $700

pretty much. and also they're like used car lots and you can get really solid prices if you don't just walk in and pay sticker price. i actually just bought a new mattress from one and got a really nice "deal" (it prolly wasn't that good but it was about 1/3rd of the sticker price) on a mattress i really liked. it's also good for us truck-less people since they easily deliver and will pickup and dispose of your old poo poo for "free" which is nice.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 10, 2016

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

in·def·i·nite·ly
ˌinˈdef(ə)nətlē/
adverb
for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.

I am hopeful this is of some help.

Three Olives posted:

Considering I lack basic human empathy I may be the wrong person to form an opinion on this but honest are people this upset over it for real?

The whole thing is such an over the top offensive horrible, horrible idea on every level I can't even take it seriously and I don't see how anyone could short of an actual 9/11 victim.

I mean the whole thing was such a incredible set of bad ideas it is honestly more funny than offensive, if you told me it was actually a parody and not a real commercial it would even be as funny.

Not sure about the human empathy part but you are definitely tinged with the 'tism.

tsa fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 10, 2016

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This commercial is amazing and im sad they won't be making more. People in this country need the sticks taken out of their asses.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Three Olives posted:

i hope somebody flies a plane into your condo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
knocking over the towers of mattresses really sold it imho

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Three Olives posted:

Considering I lack basic

You lack nothing in the area of basic

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

they should just specialize in low-fi 9/11 promo advertisements

there's a market for everything these days

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

jet fuel cant melt steel springs

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

aw man owned by youtube comments fml

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
9/11 is hilarious

a good ad

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I'm gonna be pissed if they don't honor the prices, a loving king for the price of a twin? I don't even need a new mattress but at that price how can I say no? In hindsight this will have been the best thing to have ever happened to that mattress store. Haynes, Mattress Direct, Sleepy's, Mattress Firm, The Original Mattress Factory, Serta, American Mattress, Sleep Expert, Mattress Giant, 1800Mattress, Serta, Mattress Discounters, Sleep Number, Urban Mattress, The Natural Mattress Store, iComfort, Tempur-Pedic, and god forbid we forget Mattress King, these companies would kill for this free publicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
nothing really mattress

• Locked thread