Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Scintilla posted:

Galerians definitely starts out strongly, and it's clear that the developers spent a lot of time on the opening sequence.

I felt the opposite, myself, oddly enough. The intro is good, but the following areas are where things get really good.

Nyeehg posted:

Was always curious about this game but never got round to it. LP is looking good so far, look forward to seeing how this turns out.

On a side note, this game got adapted into a really lovely looking CGI anime in the early 2000's. Don't know if it's any good but the CGI has aged very poorly. I remember seeing a clip years ago and being convinced they just ripped the ps1 cutscenes and strung them into a movie.

I actually own it. It was released around the time of the PS2 sequel, ASH, and it's not bad as tie-ins go. You could probably complete this game in the same amount of time it takes to watch the film. Interestingly, the movie has two music scores: the original Japanese one, and one made up of nu-metal and industrial bands like Skinny Puppy and Adema. I guess that was the only way to help it sell, since the game vanished without a trace in the West, and the sequel is basically unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When you see Lem, you think, okay, crazy rear end in a top hat scientist, one eye, walks with a cane, this should be pretty simple, right? And then, bam, Terminator. I'd assume he enjoys the 'wolf in sheep's clothing' aspect his disguise gives him: people think they're dealing with a kook, and next thing they know, they're dangling three foot off the ground by their nostrils.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Random thing I always liked: other horror games of the time started off in the weird mansion and progressed to the shiny labs, but this one does it in reverse. The next stage is a departure from the norm in a big way as well. It's fairly unique in a way.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's basically the one you'll want to use against every standard enemy in the game and, yes, there are no enemies who are immune to it. It's arguably the best weapon in the game, but it's balanced by the fact that it's in painfully limited supply compared to the other meds. Nalcon and Red are still what you'll want to use for bosses in general though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The opening stage of the sequel, ASH, has you play these last few areas. It's a lot more action-oriented though, as ASH is more of a third-person shooter with RPG elements than an RE clone.

Night10194 posted:

A lot of this game feels like it has good ideas that needed more time. It's got a solid core of dark and miserable to it, but everything feels like it needs more development.

The CGI movie feels a bit less rushed, despite being the exact same plot, direction, basically everything. Though that may be because it's easier to forgive these flaws in a 50-minute non-interactive movie than a (at the time) $40 game.

• Locked thread