Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I literally said "YESSSS" at my monitor (tragic, I know) when I saw this was a screenshot LP. I've been wanting one of these since I found out LPs were a thing. And video LPs of it were SUPER boring. Also it's a good SSLP - clear information for those of us who haven't played it, not padded out with memes and in-jokes or whatever. Much appreciated.

I remember pouring over details of the game in magazines when I was a kid, but I never got to play it, and trawling GameFAQs scripts to try and find out the ingriguing story. There's definitely some really neat ideas, despite the samey rooms and iffy gameplay.

Couple of thoughts:
  • Really curious what happens if you just leave the cowering/fleeing enemies. I guess they'd just attack you again next time you came through the door?
  • Weird how there's a little CG clip for nearly everything you interact with. Wondering how short this disc will be.
  • Wondering if the dodge and charged attack system would work better in full 3D without tank controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Woah, I didn't realise quite how late this game came in the console cycle. With that voice acting, and those rough pre-rendered backgrounds, it's hard to think it came a year after Resident Evil 2 AND Metal Gear Solid. I figured it was a kind of early one cashing in on the RE1 buzz. Guess it's down to budget.

Super curious if the Nazca lines references will pay off in any serious way.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

This IS adorable. Bit confused why the perfectly able rugby tacklin' robot was walking around with a cane and a limp though.

I guess the city outside the hospital is meant to be normal and populated but they couldn't show it for budget? Seems odd. I wonder how it'll transition into the next act.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Kinda cool that you're safe for so long exploring the mansion. But man, the pre renders there look REALLY muddy and generic. Not exactly Resident Evil Remake dripping with atmopshere. (Gotta love the way the pool table is obviously polygonal and will almost certainly move to reveal something!)

Totally didn't catch the clock in the mouth, I was like "That's an unusual teeth texture!"

I bet whatever we find in the pool will be disappointing, but I am on tenterhooks.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Are any of the drug items actually visible or are you just supposed to run into every shelf/desk/corner/surface you can find mashing X to get them?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Man, that infodump is a bit disappointing. Like Dorothy has barely been set up in the story by this point. Just namedropped (optionally?) a few times. I think part of the problem was the lack of insight into the actual city. I'm still confused about whether it was supposed to be totally normal outside of that hospital and Rion just had to blend in with crowds and figure out public transport and somehow work his way through a bustling civilisation to get to this mansion in the middle of nowhere...I'm sure it's budget related, but that seems like a good opportunity for reminding us of the evil robot overlord watching over everyone.

The idea of teaching an AI about God and it leading to some hilariously horrific consequences is such a neat little sci-fi concept too!

Also weird that they coloured in the plughole so it looks like the ring rises through solid concrete.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Huh, Birdman sure is a lot less...birdlike than I expected from reading the name in Playstation The Official Magazine all those years ago. Probably linked to the nazca line art we saw in the hospital section?

The manor section definitely had a lot of interesting ideas going for it, anyway. I'm curious - assuming you had to reload a save if you game over - would you have to run from the saveroom past the attacking Birdman in the halls, outside to the shed and sit through an unskippable (?) cutscene every time you retried this fight?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 6, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Okay, now we know the city IS inhabited and relatively normal. Still very little actual worldbuilding about the AI running things. I like the creepy building and the combat-less section though. Interesting set of flatmates.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The rabbits do look unreasonably fabulous.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Rion's voice actor actually seems okay.

But Rita's voice acting is legit some of The Worst.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't know if budget can be blamed so much as bad design. The story gathers all this momentum and then you hit this glowing light unlocking puzzle and you're like ughhhhhhh...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, the biomech design is really cool. Did not expect so many robotits in this little PS1 game though.

Definitely a lot of missed potential (Cain really comes out of nowhere, and Dorothy deserved a lot more foreshadowing) but there are plenty of good ideas and interesting visuals in there. As for the twist, I'm a bit conflicted. It recolours the reactions of Rainheart and Rita and their weird affinity for Rion...But...I'm not entirely clear why any of the other Galerians fought Rion at all?

Anyway, thanks for a really good LP, Scintilla! I'm glad I finally got to see what this game was all about. And I'd be interested to see if anyone picks up from here with an LP of the sequel...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hey, I'm glad they made that final fight easy after that bullshit invisible wall spaceroom you fight Cain in.

Night10194 posted:

They fought him because his job was to bring Lillia to mother. He had to think he was Rion to do that. Remember Dorothy is insane, and she is insane in a very specific way: She totally bought the whole spiel about God. Thus, she can't conceive of one of her creations being able to disobey her, so she figures as long as Rion brings her Lillia it's in the bag no matter how much of the family he pastes. Plus, say Rita had killed Rion and Lillia; Dorothy still wins. And by the time Birdman came after him, they already kinda had a lock on Lillia from the telepathic signals, just not a direct one.

It makes sense if you remember Dorothy is insane, and insane in a surprisingly consistent manner.
Fair point. I guess it didn't occur to me that the machinegod wouldn't really care if all her children died for basically no reason.

Still, if "Rion" died at the hospital or the mansion, it would've ruined the whole plan. Then again, I guess she could've just made another one. And time matters little to the machinegod. Hrmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wait, I totally forgot. Lem was a robot, right? Was he the only robot in the game? If Dorothy could make convincingly human robots to do her bidding did she need Galerians? Why was he the only one? Is there a real human Dr Lem who did all the experiments and the robot doppelganger was just there so Rion could kill it?

I have so many questions.

edit: and wait, the Nazca lines...?

• Locked thread