Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Here's the palate cleanser I promised.

Let's Play Portal! "Comedy"
Might as well sprinkle in the Orange Box games as we do this. This isn't a real speed run. Maybe a hurried mosey? There are no mistakes. Valve doesn't make games anymore, so let's just enjoy what they've given us. The games they made before. They're all garbage.

Cathode Raymond posted:

These and other questions have no easy answers. I maintain that playing through a whole steam library simply can't be done. :colbert:

I don't think I've made it completely clear, but I'm not playing every game until the game is done. I'm playing every game until I'm done. I'm going to give every game a fair shake and at least do half an hour on most if not all of them. We're also introducing a rule that my cohosts can call for a game's demise if they're not having fun anymore.

I'm stubborn. I'll keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
I just wanted to add an anecdote that I think is warranted after the comments about Gabe "School" Newell. Portal wasn't so much a tech demo as a refined version of a student project created by a team of 4 who were hired by Valve upon graduation based on that project. That was Narbacular Drop where the main character was a princess and the portal gun was a wand and all the portals were skull mouths with glowing eyes on them, but basically the same concept. For Portal 2 another team of graduates was hired from the same school based on their senior project called Tag which was a game about using a super soaker to spray different colors of paint around the environment that granted different movement abilities.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Tyler wasn't kidding about Three Minute Warning, by the by.

I suggest you play Team Fortress 2 this month during the Halloween event. Are you planning to play against Tyler/Eric/Mallory/goons or just whatever server you stumble into?

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

oldskool posted:

Tyler wasn't kidding about Three Minute Warning, by the by.

I suggest you play Team Fortress 2 this month during the Halloween event. Are you planning to play against Tyler/Eric/Mallory/goons or just whatever server you stumble into?

I hadn't really thought about it. If I did play with the gang, we'd probably do it on a Sunday. I'm pretty sure I could talk Ricky into it. I'll see if Mallory and Tyler might be game and post a date in the thread. Then we could all get together and shoot each other with guns.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

We took some time off from recording, so it's been a while since I posted. It's time for a new Let's Play, so what's next??

Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 1! "Incentive"
Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 2! "This Old Chair"
Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 3! "Right In There"
Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 4! "Stop It Out"
Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 5! "Get Better Soon"
Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 6! "Bella Notte"

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 20, 2016

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm actually stunned with how good the DLC looks. I'm disappointed that I never played it myself.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Warmal posted:

I'm actually stunned with how good the DLC looks. I'm disappointed that I never played it myself.

Yeah we've done one more recording session and we are a lot more cheerful than we were in the original game. Varied envrionments, some fun weapons, and SLIGHTLY better looking graphics go a long way.

Also I checked a wiki to see how close we are to the end and after recording on Friday were almost 2/3 through the game. This sucker is SHORT.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It would have been nice if they could have remade the game with the updates they added to the DLC. A couple changes to the environments of the main game would probably have changed a lot of opinions.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Look, guys. Tyler says some hurtful things about you in this episode. I agree with him, but you should blame Tyler for it. Also I finally figured out how to record in 1080p. So enjoy that!!

Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 02! "This Old Chair"
A toad strangler is a degree of severity slightly above a duck drowner and mostly below a turd strangler. There's not a thermos to be found in this game. Luckily, there aren't any crows either. Mustard, pancake dressing, sticky bandits... What's going on? Woof.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Oh hey remember me? We finished recording this game last night. I think there are three episodes left?????

Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 3! "Right In There"
Don't be a spool. Drop out of school. Hail Satan. I'm allergic to Boston accents, so I'm just here to help. Seriously, I'm dying for some ribs. We're just going to talk about barbecue the whole episode. I'm sorry.

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 5, 2016

stablercake
Feb 29, 2012

beefcake
This isn't helpful to anyone but this is Mallory and I was only in like 6 of the Alan Wake episodes and I personally want to give him an injection of "be more interesting"

I was in the camp of "Let's not do this game anymore" but Sam was so determined I didn't have the heart to insist

Although it wasn't as bad as Anita Sarkeesian and the quest for the million dreamcatchers so

Edit: However I was into This Old Chair: The Magazine and old man metal (AKA american nightmare was way more interesting)

TylerHendrix
Jul 11, 2012

bad things
Hi, it's me, your good pal Tyler, and I'm excited for whatever games we end up playing now that Alan Wake is gone forever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Considering how hard you were ignoring the plot of Alan Wake, it's not surprising you didn't get what happened. Here's a summary:

There is a entity in the water of cauldron lake called the "Darkness" - in the 1970s Tom Zane and Barbara Jagger, two lovers, come to stay at the Bird Leg Cabin, Tom an aspiring poet. Barbara dies while there and Tom in his grief is approached by the Darkness with an offer - to write her back to life using it's power. However, Tom doesn't know that the Darkness is influencing how he writes, and the Barbara that comes back isn't the real thing but an empty husk controlled by the Darkness - The Darkness is using her as bait to lure Thomas into writing a story that will allow it to gain victims by proxy - the more victims the stronger it gets until it eventually will be able to break free of the lake on it's own and become unstoppable - it tries this trick with every creative type who comes near, including the Rockstars Tor and Odin who eventually wise up to it's tricks and start working against it. You may have noticed that in the Lodge one of the patients had started painting shadow people, likely the Darkness was influencing him to give it's agents physical form. At some point during this Cynthia, the eventual Lamp Lady, falls for Tom and as a result starts taking an interest in him and Barbara's affairs - likely this was when she first learned of the Darkness and noticed it had replaced Barbara, eventually lewading to her obsession with light and keeping all the lightbulbs in town in working order.

Tom, after failing to defeat the husk by hacking out it's heart only to find it has none (hence the hole) eventually breaks free of the Darkness's influence by writing himself out of the world entirely (after entrusting a Mcguffin he created to hurt the darkness, the clicker, to Cynthia for safekeeping), erasing his existence to trap it because now there is no Tom to give it form - this may have been the disaster that destroyed the cabin and island 30 years ago. Possibly he uses his influence to make a future author's mother pass a clicker on to him as part of a side-plot in his story so that Alan can eventually realise it's significance and use it. This part is a little muddled.

30 Years Later Alan arrives for a vacation, arranged by his wife in an attempt to inspire him again. The husk that was once Barbara Jagger tricks Alan with a key to the no-longer existing cabin which it uses the same techniques as it used to recreate Barbara to "rebuild". At this point this fake Barbara is a known entity, known by the Old Gods as Baba Yaga (Notice the similarity in sound to Barbara Jagger :v:) and Cynthia as The Witch.

The Darkness eventually attempts to force Alan into the same situation as Tom, but Tom is able to manifest himself as a powerful light and guide Alan via the manuscript Barbara sits him down to write near the end of the game to break Alan out of the cycle. Then the game happens and Alan pieces things together, gets the Clicker, uses it to fill Barbara's shade with it's mythical light destroying her, and sacrifices himself to life in the darkness so that his wife can escape. The FBI agent was likely corrupted from the start, driven to "Guide" Alan by chasing him exactly where Barbara needed him. The Mr Scratch that was mentioned appeared to imply that if Alan had failed, Mr Scratch would have taken over his body and become a similar entity to Barbara Jagger. This is all given to you by information in the first game.

Spoiled ther final sentence as I can't remember is that isn't mentioned until American Nightmare.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 8, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Speaking of Tor and Odin, the songs by Old Gods of Asgard popped up on Spotify a little while ago. :black101:

(they're actually performed by a Finnish band called Poets of the Fall, who also did the credits music for Max Payne 2 and a lot of really boring alt rock)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

Considering how hard you were ignoring the plot of Alan Wake, it's not surprising you didn't get what happened. Here's a summary:

There is a entity in the water of cauldron lake called the "Darkness" - in the 1970s Tom Zane and Barbara Jagger, two lovers, come to stay at the Bird Leg Cabin, Tom an aspiring poet. Barbara dies while there and Tom in his grief is approached by the Darkness with an offer - to write her back to life using it's power. However, Tom doesn't know that the Darkness is influencing how he writes, and the Barbara that comes back isn't the real thing but an empty husk controlled by the Darkness - The Darkness is using her as bait to lure Thomas into writing a story that will allow it to gain victims by proxy - the more victims the stronger it gets until it eventually will be able to break free of the lake on it's own and become unstoppable - it tries this trick with every creative type who comes near, including the Rockstars Tor and Odin who eventually wise up to it's tricks and start working against it. You may have noticed that in the Lodge one of the patients had started painting shadow people, likely the Darkness was influencing him to give it's agents physical form. At some point during this Cynthia, the eventual Lamp Lady, falls for Tom and as a result starts taking an interest in him and Barbara's affairs - likely this was when she first learned of the Darkness and noticed it had replaced Barbara, eventually lewading to her obsession with light and keeping all the lightbulbs in town in working order.

Tom, after failing to defeat the husk by hacking out it's heart only to find it has none (hence the hole) eventually breaks free of the Darkness's influence by writing himself out of the world entirely (after entrusting a Mcguffin he created to hurt the darkness, the clicker, to Cynthia for safekeeping), erasing his existence to trap it because now there is no Tom to give it form - this may have been the disaster that destroyed the cabin and island 30 years ago. Possibly he uses his influence to make a future author's mother pass a clicker on to him as part of a side-plot in his story so that Alan can eventually realise it's significance and use it. This part is a little muddled.

30 Years Later Alan arrives for a vacation, arranged by his wife in an attempt to inspire him again. The husk that was once Barbara Jagger tricks Alan with a key to the no-longer existing cabin which it uses the same techniques as it used to recreate Barbara to "rebuild". At this point this fake Barbara is a known entity, known by the Old Gods as Baba Yaga (Notice the similarity in sound to Barbara Jagger :v:) and Cynthia as The Witch.

The Darkness eventually attempts to force Alan into the same situation as Tom, but Tom is able to manifest himself as a powerful light and guide Alan via the manuscript Barbara sits him down to write near the end of the game to break Alan out of the cycle. Then the game happens and Alan pieces things together, gets the Clicker, uses it to fill Barbara's shade with it's mythical light destroying her, and sacrifices himself to life in the darkness so that his wife can escape. The FBI agent was likely corrupted from the start, driven to "Guide" Alan by chasing him exactly where Barbara needed him. The Mr Scratch that was mentioned appeared to imply that if Alan had failed, Mr Scratch would have taken over his body and become a similar entity to Barbara Jagger. This is all given to you by information in the first game.

Spoiled ther final sentence as I can't remember is that isn't mentioned until American Nightmare.

No this is too hard I don't like paying attention to things that aren't my K/D ratio thanks.

This is an excellent, concise summary, thank you! :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

Having watched the entire LP, I have no idea where you got any of this from. What's the "clicker"?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tiggum posted:

Having watched the entire LP, I have no idea where you got any of this from. What's the "clicker"?

I played the game before and I always pay attention to cutscenes, even if the plot is dumb, because I like to know why characters are doing anything. The clicker was the lightswitch that Alan and Tom kept as a warding charm against the dark.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

:words:

I really like this plot! I'd like it a lot more if I got it from playing a video game instead of pausing my video game every few minutes to read a book.

This was actually a really good summary of what is going on in this game. Thanks!

Anyway, we're in the home stretch of American Nightmare. I'll post the rest of the episodes by the end of the week.

Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 4! "Stop It Out"
Take your Metal-Mucil and get a good look at your manuscript. It's the middle of the night and summer is over, so let's play some more Alan Wake. We investigate Alan Wake's dietary habits, the origins of Spaghetti Wife, and continue to pointedly ignore the plot of this game. WHAT ARE THOSE POCKETS FOR??

Also I recorded some videos last weekend while dying my hair. I was very drunk and trying to kill time.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 5! "Get Better Soon"
I don't care if you're a tepee or a wigwam. Only 90s kids will enjoy this episode. Out of nowhere, the wisecracks begin and our patience once again begins to wane. Whut? Aah. AAOOWH! There's got to be a better way of doing this. I'm clearly out of my depth.

The next episode is the last one. SEE YOU THEN SPACE CADETS.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

That card says "Get better soon" :laffo:

You guys seemed to have a lot of fun grinding through a really, really repetitive game. I don't know what's next in your alphabetical list...but here's hoping for Alpha Protocol, for your sake.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

oldskool posted:

I don't know what's next in your alphabetical list...but here's hoping for Alpha Protocol, for your sake.

It's not.

Here's a special, extra-long episode. In fact, it is THE LAST EPISODE.

Let's Play Alan Wake's American Nightmare Part 6! "Bella Notte"
This is the whole game. The best strategy toward victory is bullets to the dick. Some stupid rear end dog keeps distracting us. Also this music loving rules. Love those weedly-deedlies. This goddamn game is so FMV.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I disagree about King of the Hill. Whatever season it was where Lucky showed up was one too many. He wasn't the only thing wrong with it, just the thing I specifically remember that pinpoints when the quality dropped.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

That was some beautiful singing, Sam :allears:

I love King of the Hill but looking back, Tiggum makes a valid point. Lucky really is the shark-jumping point of the series.

:lol: Melodica!

stablercake
Feb 29, 2012

beefcake

BioEnchanted posted:

I now understand why I didn't like Alan Wake because I couldn't finish reading your politely summarized plot either (I suck sorry thank you for doing it tho) and half of Alan Wake is reading

I mean I like reading in general, but if I'm playing a video game I don't want to also read a novel or I'd just go read o wo;;;

stablercake
Feb 29, 2012

beefcake

oldskool posted:

That was some beautiful singing, Sam :allears:

I love King of the Hill but looking back, Tiggum makes a valid point. Lucky really is the shark-jumping point of the series.

:lol: Melodica!

I finally after (I think) years of seeing your icon just realized it's from King of the Hill

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Hey guys it's me Samuel K. Happy Thanksgiving.

Here's the next video game.

Let's Play And Yet It Moves! "Angela Anaconda"
Eric, Tyler, and Mallory are all my closest friends. I have slept in the same bed as each of them. I have held their hands. By the end of this episode, they will all have abandoned me. Also this game sucks dick.

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 24, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

samu3lk posted:

Also this game sucks dick.

Bullshit. This game is great. You just have to reverse the controls for rotating the world because the defaults are really unintuitive for some reason. I don't know why, but I did have the exact same problem as you where I kept rotating the wrong way every time, so I switched it around and the game becomes way easier to play.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Bullshit. This game is great.

Yeah, I think I say in the video I'm going to play it on my own without recording. I maintain the game sucks though because it made all my friends hate me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I'm noticing is that you are completely ignoring instructions or plot that the games give you, which makes it frustrating to watch when you don't get something that the audience noticed right away, like the "Fall on slopes to avoid fall damage" mechanic that, even after it was pointed out to you, you basically never made use of. If you paid closer attention to the text you may find yourself having more fun with this because you would know what was going on, and you would know what the games expect of you instead of falling to "Where do I GO! The game isn't telling me. Can I land on this black line that the game already taught me is a bottomless pit last time I tried it :supaburn:" Not trying to be a dick, but I've enjoyed a lot of janky games because I paid attention and knew what the games expected of me. After that it's just a matter of learning exactly how floaty a jump is, or how to accurately do a weird thing.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

That's way too much reading but I'm just going to assume you like the video. Thanks!

stablercake
Feb 29, 2012

beefcake

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing I'm noticing is that you are completely ignoring instructions or plot that the games give you, which makes it frustrating to watch when you don't get something that the audience noticed right away, like the "Fall on slopes to avoid fall damage" mechanic that, even after it was pointed out to you, you basically never made use of. If you paid closer attention to the text you may find yourself having more fun with this because you would know what was going on, and you would know what the games expect of you instead of falling to "Where do I GO! The game isn't telling me. Can I land on this black line that the game already taught me is a bottomless pit last time I tried it :supaburn:" Not trying to be a dick, but I've enjoyed a lot of janky games because I paid attention and knew what the games expected of me. After that it's just a matter of learning exactly how floaty a jump is, or how to accurately do a weird thing.

You are deffo watching the wrong let's play if you want to see someone play games competently dude lmao

stablercake fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 26, 2016

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Next up we have another one-shot. A game that I didn't like playing, and none of my cohosts liked watching.

Let's Play Anomaly Warzone Earth! "Spot of Tea on the Barbie"
First, a little Let's Play Housekeeping. Second, a little bad accent theater. Third, I proceed to get distracted and not understand how the game works. Fourth, give up and never play video games again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have this game. I don't remember why I have this game. But I do remember that I reacted to it pretty much the same way you did. Without the accents.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I played Anomaly Korea first. It's a lot better and the controls are much smoother. I uninstalled this game (which is the first, there's a total of three of them I think) after playing ten minutes.

You can clearly tell this was a mobile phone game just by the HUD and menus.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I would also like to take the time to confess that I have that game, but for mobile. It was under "top charts" for strategy, which meant I had to buy it because 1) My decision making process is terribly flawed and 2) I am always desperate for decent mobile games, because nearly all are garbage.

I played it for ~2 minutes before I realized that nothing of substance was happening or would ever happen.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum and Hitler's Gay Secret and Cathode Raymond posted:

You were right all along and we were all fooled by this horrible game. Our precious money was squandered and stolen by charlatans. God bless you, Samuel K for showing us the light.

You guys are right. Anomaly Warzone Earth friggin' sucks. You know what game doesn't suck though??

Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 1: "Olive Garden"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 2: "One Single Tampon"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 3: "Eight Crazy Nights"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 4: "Ledul Brudder"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 5: "I'm An Oil Man"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 6: "Belly Button to Gizzard"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 7: "Did I Do That"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 8: "Send Us Your Teeth"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - Part 9: "Dental Pad"
Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! - FINALE: "Tough Neck"

There are some technical difficulties in the first 3 episodes of this LP, but I iron them out eventually. Thank you for your patience. Also, I'm finally playing a game that I ACTUALLY ENJOY.

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 28, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Edit: Nevermind, literally 30 seconds later.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Did you guys ever play the multiplayer for this game? It is absolutely excellent.

The plot of this series though is a goddam nightmare. I don't know why they couldn't just make it a story about a centuries-long secret war between the Templars and the Assassins across interesting and diverse historical settings without bringing in the Desmond DNA VR nonsense and...well...all that other business with aliens or whatever that was.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Oh poo poo, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Did you guys ever play the multiplayer for this game? It is absolutely excellent.

The plot of this series though is a goddam nightmare. I don't know why they couldn't just make it a story about a centuries-long secret war between the Templars and the Assassins across interesting and diverse historical settings without bringing in the Desmond DNA VR nonsense and...well...all that other business with aliens or whatever that was.

I've never played the multiplayer at all! I will say, we're two sessions into recording this game and I am REALLY enjoying it. It's made me go back and replay rear end Creed 2. Also I totally agree, the stuff outside of the VR simulation seems super boring and pointless. Unless they circle around and make a game that takes place in modern times, I have no idea what purpose that serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One good thing about Brotherhood, Revelations and 3, they pay off the modern day stuff quite well I thought.

• Locked thread