Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How come nobody has pointed out that the steak in the OP isn't skirt steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thats how it was packaged and it has a very noticeable grain on it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Did you not read the thread title? OP is skirt steak.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I was being kind but yeah it don't look like no skirt steak I ever seen

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Mariana Horchata posted:

i almost always order lengua over steak when its available, which is almost always because i only go to real taco/burrito joints and not chipotle.

Why does everybody on this forum trip all over themselves to brag about insanely entry level food knowledge

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of ketchup compliments a well done skirt steak ?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Haverchuck posted:

Why does everybody on this forum trip all over themselves to brag about insanely entry level food knowledge

Might be a honeypot, "I go to authentic Mexican and not Chipotle" is way too much of a perfect storm of triteness

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

King of Bees posted:

Take that skirt and cover with cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper and jalapeņos and roll it tight. Put in a Ziploc with some citrus juice, usually lime or a mix with orange. Give it an hour you don't want the citrus to cook it. Grill or broil and chop for the best street taco meat ever.

Close thread

It's taco time boys

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

Sometimes I buy small roasts that are ~3" thick and cook them like steaks. They're bloody as hell and good.

I've often contemplated doing that, you'd be able to get a hell of a Pittsburgh-style char in a rare steak if it was 3" thick.

The taste is also good, you say?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Skirt steak could be a euphemism for transexual cock

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Lengua, while delicious, is not entry-level food. Entry-level ethnic food is like, chicken tikka masala or pad thai.

You shouldn't Pat yourself on the back for being The Worlds Most Adventurous Eater but it's disingenuous to act like it's a regular food for most 1st world countries.

GORDON posted:

I've often contemplated doing that, you'd be able to get a hell of a Pittsburgh-style char in a rare steak if it was 3" thick.

I order 2" cuts of strip steak and the like to do a crazy char crust; once you get to the 2"+ thick cuts I add the pepper afterwards because the char becomes so thick it just burns the pepper off. You basically just want some salt and some high-temperature oil. Season it while it's resting.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GORDON posted:

It's pretty hit and miss: lots of roasts have large veins of fat running through them. Even if you're very picky and do what I do, practically climbing into the shelves in the meat section examining and discarding cuts, sometimes you'll have one with a large amount of fat in it, which makes for a very chewy and unpleasant "steak"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

Might be a honeypot, "I go to authentic Mexican and not Chipotle" is way too much of a perfect storm of triteness

i can't go to either because i live in england

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Haverchuck posted:

besides, buche tacos are better and more flavorful :grin:

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

AugmentedVision posted:

chipotle eater spotted

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

the great deceiver posted:

chipotle eater spotted

chipotle is loving delicious

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Haverchuck posted:

Lmao at this dude thinking his food knowledge is interesting or useful to anybody

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

food is just prenatal poo poo

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tumble posted:

Speaking of steaks, I cooked a t-bone on some hot wood coals this week at camp. I don't mean I put a grate over the fire either; I pushed aside some logs to expose some white-hot coals and put the steak directly on them for like 2.5 minutes a side. That fucker came out perfectly medium rare and crispy as gently caress on each side. We're talking steakhouse-quality cooked, with the awesome addition of fire pit smoke (make sure you're only burning cured firewood and not some pressure treated lumber poo poo though).

Next time you guys are going camping and know you're going to have a campfire going, try it. And don't explain to other people what you're doing either - just let the steak sit out and come up to room temp while seasoning it with some salt, pepper and olive oil (or melted butter if you want to gently caress some arteries up. Which you do) and then watch people's reaction as you casually plop that fucker in the fire on some coals.

Then watch their reactions after you've let it rest for a few minutes and they taste one of the best steaks they'll ever have.

that's how president eisenhower used to cook 'em

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again

Jose posted:

Its cheap because people think its a stewing meat but its actually great for cooking like a normal steak observe.

Its great as a normal steak, for tacos, basically anything that involves frying for colour and then a little time in the oven to finish off

bro im gonna try saying this as nicely as i can but your steak looks like loving poo poo. ive never seen a sadder excuse for a steak or even poster tbh in my whole entire life. take your garbage meal and yourself and jump off of a bridge

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jose posted:

Its cheap because people think its a stewing meat but its actually great for cooking like a normal steak observe.

Its great as a normal steak, for tacos, basically anything that involves frying for colour and then a little time in the oven to finish off

Wait a minute. Why are you slicing it along the grain :wth:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What kind of ketchup compliments a well done skirt steak ?

Well-mannered.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Assholes like Bobby Flay made a million videos about how cheap it is and now it's like ribeye price around here

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Pochoclo posted:

Where are you from? Because churrascos are okay if we're talking day-to-day, just cooking on an iron, but bife de chorizo is much better, and lomo a la pimienta is amazing and you can easily cook it at home.

Is Lomo a la pimienta any different than steak au poivre?

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

niec steke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMVnFr33w4

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
o boy i cant wait to gently caress that steak :clint:

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.
want some skirt steak, op? here ya go:

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Manticorny posted:

I heard these things grow on the beach for special people :D

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Manticorny posted:

I'm not sure why people are comparing steaks to penises, there's very little resemblance :confused:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'm not sure why people are comparing steaks to penises, there's very little resemblance :confused:

tube steak

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Blue Train posted:

tube steak
Yeah but then it'd be skirt tube steak

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

It's pretty hit and miss: lots of roasts have large veins of fat running through them. Even if you're very picky and do what I do, practically climbing into the shelves in the meat section examining and discarding cuts, sometimes you'll have one with a large amount of fat in it, which makes for a very chewy and unpleasant "steak"

it's expensive but buy a cut of grass fed beef. the fat tastes completely different and melts in your mouth instead of being a chewy mess, it's amazing and imo worth the extra cash

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

Some people floss with wax coated wire, some people prefer to floss by chewing on muscle fiber.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

To take a cross section photo. I sliced it across the grain to eat it

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Manticorny posted:

All right, I'm too drunk to care: What is this woman's name?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

KomodoWagon posted:

Dave

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

KomodoWagon posted:

bailey jay

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.

KomodoWagon posted:

psyopsmonkey

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...

This is a skirt steak. Very thin but very lean. If you sear very quickly and serve it blue it melts on the tongue. Please learn to cut whatever that is you posted properly OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...
Had some at really nice local restaurant recently too, but I'm not hip enough to be photographing my dinners.

• Locked thread