Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should private citizens have the right to own and carry guns?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Illavick posted:

The reason you should be allowed to carry a gun is that you are responsible for your own safety. The police are there to enforce laws and enact justice. They aren't your guardian. You think they are but that's a common misconception brought about by a life time of being a little bitch. At any moment, it is on you and you alone to ensure that you don't get got and that being the case, you should have access to the highest caliber of self defense available.

Shhhh, you're gonna scare people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hi corn

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

How else am I going to defend my puckins?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

if this guy gets a nuke then i want a nuke too

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bert Roberge posted:

How else am I going to defend my puckins?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
when we watched tombstone in high school and thought about if we all had guns and drank whiskey 24 hours a day we all looked at each other and released we would all be dead

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Illavick posted:

The reason you should be allowed to carry a gun is that you are responsible for your own safety. The police are there to enforce laws and enact justice. They aren't your guardian. You think they are but that's a common misconception brought about by a life time of being a little bitch. At any moment, it is on you and you alone to ensure that you don't get got and that being the case, you should have access to the highest caliber of self defense available.
A perpetrator may eventually enter your home with nefarious intentions. In that moment, the police may or may not save you. Many people have told me that my mosin is the only thing between me and being raped by a large african-american man. Or woman. I mean we are just talking semantics here.

Many people have told me that it is my right to have a chemical reaction occur between a brass cartridge and a piece of lead, and here-to-forth that piece of lead shall enter into said perpetrators. Because I am afraid. I am so so afraid.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

corn in the bible posted:

doomsday prepping really started during the cold war as an atomic bomb thing in which the idea was that irradiation might stop things from growing for a specific amount of time, so youd need canned food and stuff and also at least in theory you'd store seeds for when radiation died down enough to be safe.

you have correctly addressed the somewhat rational end of it, a response to what the government/media told them could very well happen

i'm saying i want to understand the mind of the 2016 prepper, who doesn't even know where his enemy will come from, or if he would want to outlive such an attack, and yet prepares for it anyway. just me personally: the shut down of a society is a good thing to prep for if you have that kind of a mind, to prepare to survive in a world not worth living in seems much much less fun.

i'm not trying to bind my fate to the fate of a carrot, but essentially if carrots can't grow once X happens, there's a good chance i really don't want to be around shooting it out with every band of armed rapists who loot and kill the survivors. im glad this gun discussion made it to this subject.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Hogge Wild, god bless, thanks for doing the lord's work. Knocking it out of the park with another 5-star threadI am being sincere

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

Garcin posted:

A perpetrator may eventually enter your home with nefarious intentions. In that moment, the police may or may not save you. Many people have told me that my mosin is the only thing between me and being raped by a large african-american man. Or woman. I mean we are just talking semantics here.

Many people have told me that it is my right to have a chemical reaction occur between a brass cartridge and a piece of lead, and here-to-forth that piece of lead shall enter into said perpetrators. Because I am afraid. I am so so afraid.

lol

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

EorayMel posted:

is this your mosin nagant

how does it even poo poo?

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye

autoaim.cfg posted:

Yeah, back in the days when reloading that single shot musket of yours took half a minute.
But the founding fathers of course meant the populace should have access to miniguns too. Totally! :allears:

Edit: Wh... wh... why... why am I even interacting in this thread? I know better. I know better. I KNOW BETTER THAN THIS, SO HELP ME TORI SPELLING, I DO!

Naah, on second thought. I want an RC Gatling Drone! Kekekekekekekekeke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquUBWHU2_s

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye

Illavick posted:

In the mind of a lot of gun control advocates, Your life is the price they are willing to pay, for their vision of a gun free society.

As you saw by way of some jokester, a person who wants to protect themselves, even in their own home, gets turned into some straw man figure of a stupid racist who clings to guns because he is terrified of being raped by minorities.

EDIT: But yeah, police response times range from "more than enough time for you to be murdered by a burglar (ten minutes)" to "they will eventually show up to take pictures of the crime scene and your body (more than an hour)". That doesn't help you or your family though.

Also, like you said, the police don't have a legal obligation to protect you, and if they fail, even in an incredibly incompetent manner, lawsuits get promptly thrown of of court.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

RoboJiggolo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 11, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They shouldn't.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Look how well outlawing drugs has worked out (particularly for minorities)

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Private citizens have the right to own and carry guns because it is a fundamental right ingrained into the Constitution of the United States thanks hope you have a good day op

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's flat out cool that we have a wide array of lethal weapons available for purchase & use

Move to Canada if you don't like it

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Shhhh, you're gonna scare people.

I have a .357 Magnum, .45 acp and 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck loaded and ready at all times within fast access. If the jehovas witnesses or Mormon missionaries come back I'm ready op

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Every day, millions of americans are fighting off predators and criminals with their guns. This is why America is one of the safest countries on earth and the murder rate is so low compared to European countries where gun laws are much stricter.

You have to take care of yourself, before THEY GET YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Every day, millions of americans are fighting off predators and criminals with their guns. This is why America is one of the safest countries on earth and the murder rate is so low compared to European countries where gun laws are much stricter.

You have to take care of yourself, before THEY GET YOU

Love it or leave it beyotch

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
op for a serious answer gun control in other countries has been debunked as a form of violent crime reduction, it turns out that taking guns away from people just makes them use other poo poo to kill people with

There is a theory that stricter gun control leads to fewer mass shootings but this also has yet to be proven so the money spent on legislating and enforcing strict gun laws would be better used to treat the mental illnesses that cause people to go insane and murder a bunch of folks.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

lol

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Ahhh Good ol' Finland in second place for suicides.

Welcome to this land of bogs and eternal winter darkness of ours.

HAIL BOG!

:finland:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think there shouldn't be guns because physically weaker people should always live and die by the grace of physically stronger people.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

extra stout posted:

i'm saying i want to understand the mind of the 2016 prepper, who doesn't even know where his enemy will come from, or if he would want to outlive such an attack, and yet prepares for it anyway. just me personally: the shut down of a society is a good thing to prep for if you have that kind of a mind, to prepare to survive in a world not worth living in seems much much less fun.

i'm not trying to bind my fate to the fate of a carrot, but essentially if carrots can't grow once X happens, there's a good chance i really don't want to be around shooting it out with every band of armed rapists who loot and kill the survivors. im glad this gun discussion made it to this subject.

My sister married into a prepper family, and it's astonishing what they prepare for and what they don't.

Things they have prepared:
-An iron safe that they store electronics in, in case someone unleashes an EMT attack
-A camera-equipped drone, so that they can "survey the neighborhood to know where the attackers are"
-Weird MRE type food that's all junk. Not like lentils or rice, but like freeze-dried mac n cheese and instant chocolate cake.
-Guns. Lots of guns. BIG guns.

Things they have not prepared:
-Owning a rainbarrel or considering having any source of water other than from the tap
-Knowing how to grow any vegetable
-Having any interest or knowledge in trapping or hunting
-Any useful basic skills like cooking or knitting or carpentry

It's sad watching her skillfully and methodically check, clean, and lock up a firearm, then protest that gardening is too hard when I offer to give her one of my a little tomato plants.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
I should be able to own a gun because I need a gun.

For hunting deer you see...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

alucinor posted:

when I offer to give her one of my a little tomato plants.

I like how you typed out an Italian accent.

Cordon bleu
Sep 11, 2016

by Smythe
Rather be shot with a gun than hit with a hammer to death.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hunting wild game is good

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I want a gun too

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

alucinor posted:

Things they have prepared:
-Guns. Lots of guns. BIG guns.

Things they have not prepared:
-Any useful basic skills like cooking or knitting or carpentry
Makes sense if you think about it. Assuming someone *else* has prepared basic skills, but not guns, now you can get the fruits of labor without the labor! Perhaps declare yourself leader to give this claim to unearned goods an air of legitimacy. You can even have an election with a lightly veiled thread of violence against any other candidates or anyone who selects another candidate, now it's a republic, nothing more legitimate than that!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH2xsQcIUYI

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
maybe the people complaining about guns could stop watching movies and playing video games that glorify guns because lol there would be such a huge shitstorm if someone tried to ban video games

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

another flamebait thread, thanks dick

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
gently caress... something was nibbling on my hook....

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the thing about guns is that they own

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

pretty much yes

every NRA person i know would be more than happy to teach someone how to shoot and properly handle a gun but i'm pretty sure all the anti gun people would rather sit inside and play video games where they murder prostitutes and shoot up virtual cityscapes as they tell opposing players the evil things they want to do their mothers and daughters

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
anyone? no? not catching much fish today i guess :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
American law differs from European law in that all things are permissible unless otherwise specified. So we don't need a reason for something to be legal. Guns are additionally specifically protected. The wording of our Bill of Rights for example is instructive of this. The amendments aren't the government granting freedom of religion or freedom of speech to citizens. They state that the government isn't allowed to "otherwise specify" on these topics. European constitutions specifically grant citizens freedom of speech as if that's something that needs to be given.

Plus gunz rule

Cigstomper58 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 11, 2016

• Locked thread