Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should private citizens have the right to own and carry guns?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

extra stout posted:

i'm saying i want to understand the mind of the 2016 prepper, who doesn't even know where his enemy will come from, or if he would want to outlive such an attack, and yet prepares for it anyway. just me personally: the shut down of a society is a good thing to prep for if you have that kind of a mind, to prepare to survive in a world not worth living in seems much much less fun.

i'm not trying to bind my fate to the fate of a carrot, but essentially if carrots can't grow once X happens, there's a good chance i really don't want to be around shooting it out with every band of armed rapists who loot and kill the survivors. im glad this gun discussion made it to this subject.

My sister married into a prepper family, and it's astonishing what they prepare for and what they don't.

Things they have prepared:
-An iron safe that they store electronics in, in case someone unleashes an EMT attack
-A camera-equipped drone, so that they can "survey the neighborhood to know where the attackers are"
-Weird MRE type food that's all junk. Not like lentils or rice, but like freeze-dried mac n cheese and instant chocolate cake.
-Guns. Lots of guns. BIG guns.

Things they have not prepared:
-Owning a rainbarrel or considering having any source of water other than from the tap
-Knowing how to grow any vegetable
-Having any interest or knowledge in trapping or hunting
-Any useful basic skills like cooking or knitting or carpentry

It's sad watching her skillfully and methodically check, clean, and lock up a firearm, then protest that gardening is too hard when I offer to give her one of my a little tomato plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread