Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should private citizens have the right to own and carry guns?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
im the general opinion of the american public that shifts simultaneously against gun ownership, and just as angrily and actively against processed foods, factory farming, etc without seeing any irony in it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
american people as raised by universities and msnbc: "we want the one percent to put that money back into america, to save america and help children eat food, afford college!"

the elite: *silently ignores these statements while walking from limo to mansion with eight armed bodyguards, each making a salary higher than the average school teacher*

american people: "and we're gonna do it without any of those evil gun things!!! i'm gonna vote this thing into ideal purity!!! they'll let us vote them out right"

(it doesn't work)

american people: "mods... mods??"

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

corn in the bible posted:

and i know were not supposed to dox but i found this picture of stout

i'm not a big fan of the AK but i am of course jealous of his giant weird costume, and of your ability to turn what could be a funny discussion into a series of pictures of furries

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hogge Wild posted:

i don't think that you should be allowed to own guns

semper guns, semper games

without one you cannot protect the other

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

interwhat posted:

I think it's pretty dumb that, as a response to suicide and mass shooting, rather than make a serious attempt at tackling the real problems(mental illness, social injustice, poverty, and so on), people just go "guns are bad, see!" As if people wouldn't be able to kill themselves or others without them.

by even talking about taking peoples rights you set up a perfect debate for the two people pretending to be enemies during their next presidential show down, and then you never have to actually address all of those weird european ideas like including mental health into healthcare

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

NomChompsky posted:

handguns are the actual problem and i don't see why anyone should have one unless they qualify for very specific circumstances

like if they posted in this thread and want to kill themselves

in american politics the entirely true fact that knives actually kill 1500~ people a year, and rifles something like 240, is not allowed to be cited

we don't wanna learn the names of the kinds of guns, hell if someone even says the word 'gun' i get so drat upset i hug both my black friend and my muslim friend, who luckily i force to walk within 6 inches of me on both sides to prove to the campus i am not a racist.

join the revolution! we want all natural fresh food and no GMOs! but not the kind of all natural fresh food you obtain with a gun or a fishing rod! give me a vegan chipotle or give me death

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

numberoneposter posted:

how about home built 12 gauge pipe guns

ive seen these before and i think they most perfectly summarize why a gun ban would be a permanent failure, a permanent war in america

forget the 300 million guns you'd have to recover from citizens who paid for them, how do you address the ability for someone to weld one of these in an hour?

the people who would actually fire one of these two feet away from their brain and heart are the exact people who would not be afraid of dying in a revolution

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ork of Fiction posted:

Good news, friend!

when the ocean took out that city in florida recently i remember thinking 'it owns that global warming will basically ruin lives starting with those who live in coastal cities and know the least about fishing, hunting and gardening, and it'll be like hundreds of years before people who live for free in log cabins ever give a poo poo

also end of the world preppers are weird to me, why isn't preparing for problems that already exist right now more trendy? wouldn't it be an awfully intelligent trend to learn how to fillet fish and grow carrots right now? why is that less popular than hoarding MREs and canned food? it's like humanity is committed to not learning things even in the event of every single other comfort being taken away from them

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

corn in the bible posted:

doomsday prepping really started during the cold war as an atomic bomb thing in which the idea was that irradiation might stop things from growing for a specific amount of time, so youd need canned food and stuff and also at least in theory you'd store seeds for when radiation died down enough to be safe.

you have correctly addressed the somewhat rational end of it, a response to what the government/media told them could very well happen

i'm saying i want to understand the mind of the 2016 prepper, who doesn't even know where his enemy will come from, or if he would want to outlive such an attack, and yet prepares for it anyway. just me personally: the shut down of a society is a good thing to prep for if you have that kind of a mind, to prepare to survive in a world not worth living in seems much much less fun.

i'm not trying to bind my fate to the fate of a carrot, but essentially if carrots can't grow once X happens, there's a good chance i really don't want to be around shooting it out with every band of armed rapists who loot and kill the survivors. im glad this gun discussion made it to this subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Luvcow posted:

maybe the people complaining about guns could stop watching movies and playing video games that glorify guns because lol there would be such a huge shitstorm if someone tried to ban video games

you misunderstand the goon position: they are against things in real life, do NOT take them out of their video games or they will take a class on the constitution to figure out how to win that court case

life is about killing tens of thousands of people in cs:go, dota 2, and chivalry: medeival warfare. it is not about even owning an axe to split firewood in real life, that sounds barbaric and retarded

• Locked thread