Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Seriously why wouldn't you tell your students the truth.

If you don't tell them the truth, they're going to pass it around themselves. And with the way kids like to exaggerate things, it was only a matter of time before those planes were equipped with small nuclear weapons, and that the towered tipped over from the impact and took out the brooklyn bridge*

*actual thing another student told me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Doc Friday posted:

I was a little kid OP, so I don't remember poo poo.

Do kids even have the ability to remember things?

I remember most of my childhood better than I remember the last several years of my life.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bert Roberge posted:

good lord I hope you beheaded her

We did, but for a different reason.

She got called to grand jury dury and forgot to leave our homework assignments in the sub's lesson plan. When she came back in a month got really mad we didn't do the homework she didn't assign us, because we "should've known to do it".

She gave us 3 days to do a month's worth of homework.

oval office

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Renegret posted:

She got called to grand jury dury and forgot to leave our homework assignments in the sub's lesson plan. When she came back in a month got really mad we didn't do the homework she didn't assign us, because we "should've known to do it".

oval office

Proof that many teachers deserve their lousy pay.

Elementary school teachers and the like are being babysat as much by the kids as vice versa. An alternative solution to keep the idiots off the streets. Costs must be kept low.

Cordon bleu
Sep 11, 2016

by Smythe

a dog from hell posted:

Proof that many teachers deserve their lousy pay.

Elementary school teachers and the like are being babysat as much by the kids as vice versa. An alternative solution to keep the idiots off the streets. Costs must be kept low.

Most teachers r fukin scum. Bring on the Battlefield Earth knowledge uploading machines.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
I was 14. As soon as i got home i logged into everquest to level up in Velketor's Labyrynth by repeatedly killing ice spiders.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
I was knee deep in some cheerleader sliz, later some nerd told us what happened and I gave him an atomic wedgie

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
whatup nerds, it's me, the guy that belongs in this thread. I don't remember the day of, but I sure as poo poo remember the breakfast diner me and my old man would go to every weekend getting plastered with pictures, flags, and newspaper clippings

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Doc Friday posted:

Do kids even have the ability to remember things?

Why even take your kid to the WTC it's not like he's going to remember it!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Renegret posted:

oval office

I've never been so angry over a person I've never met.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I remember being told of the tragedy of 9/11, but it didn't feel real until I saw it on popular mTV television show Total Request Live.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
later on in life i learned more about what was going on in the news and so forth from Sage Francis in this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERpzLYXBxbk

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Renegret posted:

I was 13, in my 7th grade Social Studies class.

Another teacher came in and told my teacher what happened by whispering in her ear. She refused to tell us what happened saying "it's not important" even though we could see a giant plume of black smoke drifting by the window. Some of the other classrooms had windows facing the towers and the kids saw the whole thing happen so I don't know why she thought we wouldn't find out.

gently caress you Ms. G.

oval office

Ms. G is a bad person.

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy
Have any of you eaten freedom fries?

We didn't get them in the UK

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

no_one posted:

Have any of you eaten freedom fries?

We didn't get them in the UK

UK got Imperialism Chips?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

flerp posted:

i dont remember anything that happened that day tho

R3M posted:

same except 3

Doc Friday posted:

ayyy, what's good too-young-to-remember crew :hf:

you know what they say - you can't forget what you never remembered in the first place

R3M posted:

we should be friends forums underdude
let's talk about how cool it is to be young and still have hopes and dreams

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I was 8, my dad freaked out and bought a ton of emergency supplies and food, chef boyardee included.
Also I was fat and probably upset that I couldn't dig into that sweet boyardee goodness

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
it was the day after my 15th birthday and i had food poisoning so i got to stay home from school. i sat around and played age of empires 2 all day as i recall

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I was six years old. My mom picked me up from school early and when we got home I saw the second tower collapse on tv. Mom was freaking out because dad was working near the Pentagon at the time, and the lines went down while she was on the phone with him. I remember being very confused as to why everyone was doing such a bad job of flying planes that day, and the fact that my mom had no idea how to explain terrorism to a six-year-old didn't help. Back then my friends and I played a lot of Red Alert 2 so once I was told the plane crashes were intentional I assumed Russia was involved.

My dad was/is okay by the way

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Winter Fresh posted:

I was about ten which means we were just old enough for my entire grade to be forced into learning and performing Lee Greenwoods God Bless the USA in front of various crowds of people.. my favorite part was how we would sit down in the middle of the song and when Lee would sing "STAND UP" we would all stand up together it was great

Was this every fifth grade class in America? I was ten when 9/11 happened and they made us sing that song too, but they replaced "I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me" with "I won't forget those who died on that Tuesday morning".

My Mom had CNN on before I went to school, so I got to watch the towers get hit then be rushed to school. No one at school talked about it at all, but they just ended the school day with "Due to today's events, chess club is canceled". My brother lived in Manhattan at the time and didn't call us until that night, so it was a pretty weird day. It was weirder considering how much Election 2000 was aired everywhere in our school. After that day, they just assumed our parents explained it to us and jumped into this intense hyper-patriotism with flags and songs for the entire rest of the year and a good portion of middle school.

GewuerzKahn posted:

They skipped one or two episodes of Dragon Ball Z in Germany and aired instead boring news.

In the US, the new season of Dragonball Z started on September 10th (Saiyaman saga) and I was worried they'd stop showing it, but they didn't.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I was 10. Didn't really mean much to me as I was a limey kid and America was so far away, but the way that the adults around reacted was what drilled home how serious it was. Teachers called an immediate assembly (never happened before) to announce it, came home to find my mum and dad glued to the news channel in total disbelief of what had happened, totally derelict of duty for simple things like cooking dinner for me and my brothers or making sure we went to bed on time. For them, it was like reliving 22nd November 1963. Really hosed up, but so far away that it wasn't really impactful on their day to day lives.

It wasn't until July 7th 2005 that we Brits really understood and could properly empathise with how Americans felt on September 11th 2001.

client
Aug 19, 2010

i was like 9 and when i heard a plane hit the world trade center, i assumed it was a biplane because i was and still am a loving moron

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
What I'm getting from all this is that kids around my age:

-Thought the explosions were cool
-Were happy about going home early
-Only knew about this kind of stuff from video games (if at all)
-Worried about missing DBZ

That pretty much sums it up for me, other than my friends and I making paper airplanes to throw at each other, this is really the defining experience of the post-9/11 generation

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

symbolic posted:

ayyy, what's good too-young-to-remember crew :hf:

you know what they say - you can't forget what you never remembered in the first place

let's talk about how cool it is to be young and still have hopes and dreams

hopes and dreams? the only cure for that poison is the liquor bottle, hope this helps :sigh:

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
lol if u have "hopes and dreams"

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i dont even know my own age right now how do u expect me to do maths?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
2 years later in 6th grade i was bored and done with my math homework so i started making a custom math test like the benchmark tests we were given, but with my own word problems like if the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man can laser eye one story of a building in 15 seconds how long does it take him to collapse an 18 story building and i never thought about it until now but that may have been inspired by the twin towers attack as well

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is this a banme thread? Cause it sounds like a banme thread.

Incidentally I was born 6 years after 9/11.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I was 13 and just remember spending the entire day terrified that my dad (who worked in the nearby NYSE building) was affected. He wasnt, thankfully.

Some kid did lose a parent that day though :ohdear: this school was in NJ, so many working parents commuted.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Did anyone else know someone who would tell everybody some family member died on 9/11 but later you found out it was of some unrelated cause 4000 miles away?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
circa 2001 i was playing the gently caress out of corncob 3d. i was 8. it was a flight simulator... thing for our dos computer. look it entertained young me because it had a ton of weird features and you could exit your plane and walk around which added a whole layer of poo poo to do and i had never been exposed to 3D ACCELERATED GRAPHICS or VIDEO GAMES so well just look at it

see that tower back there? basically the only building in the game. ya you can crash into it. you loving bet i spent a whole lot of my time trying to peg that tower at max speed.

lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Seriously why wouldn't you tell your students the truth.

If you don't tell them the truth, they're going to pass it around themselves. And with the way kids like to exaggerate things, it was only a matter of time before those planes were equipped with small nuclear weapons, and that the towered tipped over from the impact and took out the brooklyn bridge*

*actual thing another student told me

I was twelve at the time. People trying not to tell students too much causes some serious confusion. I remember somehow via the game of telephone a list of buildings that were closed became a list of buildings destroyed and my whole class thought a ton of buildings in loving Cleveland got blown up.

Oddly enough we watched at least the first collapse on TV, it was some time after that they cut everything off and the rumors started.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 12, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Are ITT threads allowed again?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

mdm posted:

They never stopped being allowed if you're a sovereign poster on the forums

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I was 22 days away from being 6, ama

I remember sitting on the floor in front of the TV and being mad that they kept showing the same thing over and over again 'cause lol my parents didn't explain poo poo

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

mdm posted:

This is not a roleplaying ITT thread this is about real life experiences. god.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
please don't use the reserved ITT acronym if you're not posting a roleplaying thread or a thread about the sadly dead educational institution that bears the same acronym, or a meta thread where we roleplay being students in that sadly dead educational institution

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I do what I want

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I was 3 and thought it was a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I guess I'd say that 9/11 had no impact on my life other than being something to make jokes about, and a litmus test to see who to be friends with (if they dont think 9/11 is funny, then no-go)

• Locked thread