Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

Who the gently caress would use the word "tariff" in that context?

Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

The first few months of 2010 weren't ordered yet. They are now. All of them should be ordered now.

You're doing God's work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"I need to know where those two lived as man and wife" is such an insanely awkward phrase, holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Spider-Speed

God drat but I love Newspaper Spider-man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

October 1, 2016

But what about Pete? Does he have normal human strength?

Listen bud. He's got radioactive blood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not really an expert on ant man, but isn't the bit about retaining his full size strength when shrunken only in the movie?

No, that's always been an Ant-Man thing. And most shrinking heroes too honestly, they're usually abnormally strong for their size.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Isn't it some poo poo about them not actually shrinking, they just become more dense because of the space between and in atoms or some nonsense?

There's different explanations but yeah. It basically amounts to "we need some excuse why these guys are capable of heroing."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

But what about The Atom? AFAIK he doesn't have strength when he shrinks.

He does. It's explicitly one of his powers. The Atom's power is effectively complete mass control.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't want to hear about Egghead dominating his wife.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat I love Newspaper Spider-Man!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

The possibility of seeing a Wasp getting beat up was too much of a temptation.

Holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

You know, I'm starting to think Lee lurks in this thread, the way joking guesses for what will happen next seem to come true.

That'd be a real trick considering newspaper have like 2 weeks of lead time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

I'm curious. Have any other Marvel/DC characters had a newspaper strip at any point?

Like, a newspaper Superman seems like an incredibly obvious thing to me.

Batman did, there are actually collections of them available. I'm pretty sure Superman did too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Judging by the scenery they've made it at least to New Mexico. Peter must be flooring it.

He has the proportional horsepower of a spider.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why am I really excited about this? :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drat it, I forgot about Spider-Time, we're going to have to wait three weeks to find out what this is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm just hammering that comicskingdom page for today's strip. I can't wait for Ego the Living Planet.

Or most likely them going down the street and noting that there's a crater now.

holy poo poo

Yes. YES.

Edit: To be clear, this means we're rapidly approach the possibility of Newspaper Rocket Raccoon and Newspaper Groot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Mods please change my name to WROK FRAK BKAK.

WROK LESBIAN doesn't have the same ring to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no that table

"Hm, weird alien dude smashing up tables. Yes, I, Joe Q. Cop, can TOTALLY handle this."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Ronan have you considered, like, just actually asking for what you want first? Even once?

He's Ronan the Accuser, not Ronan the Asker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So like is his Translatatron also translating his dialogue back? And why is it giving him definitions? Does that mean it's giving him definitions for every word or does he have like a working grasp of English but needs certain words defined? I demand logic from this comic strip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This may in fact be Newspaper Spider-Man's lamest battle yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I see what happened here. Someone told them to make Ronan as Kirby as possible and the artist just drastically misunderstood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Superheroes aren't real.

The gently caress you say?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I bet they're just eating pizza and Reed couldn't be bothered to stretch his arm an extra foot to answer the phone.

Howard the Duck backs it up!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

it's going to be Groot but he speaks in wise and intelligent sentences and is the most verbose and coherent character in the Newspaperverse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

What're the odds that something that came from space and was bombarded by unshielded cosmic radiation is radioactive?

Hint, they're above zero, Peter, you reckless rear end.

Yeah but in Peter's world unshielded cosmic radiation is how you get additional superpowers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Even regular Spidey never claimed the spider was magical, just that it was fated to happen for magical reasons.

Yeah, it is an explicit plot point in the original Totem Spider-Man story that the spider was radioactive. it is how he defeats Morlun the first time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes. Yessssss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I never understood why the web shooters weren't organic to begin with. I mean, pro vs cons it all you want, what I mean is I don't get why Stan/Ditko/whoever made the decision to have this secondary origin for a subset of his powers. It's like if Superman got all his powers naturally except for needing a Kryptonian gravity belt to fly.

The reason why is to give emphasis and focus to the fact that Peter is a nerdy tech genius. A good portion of early Spider-Man comics involved him manipulating his webbing in different ways, changing the formula, running out of it because he was broke, ect. It gives him a strength and weakness rolled into one.

That said, yes, organic webbing makes more sense and if you're doing a movie origin it flows more naturally. Amazing Spider-Man tried to 'explain' it in-universe and it just felt weird and convoluted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Where the heck did this "ect" thing come from?

It was a typo of etc, I assumed that was fairly obvious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man. Newspaper Rocket Raccoon is really freaky looking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is not Clown 9 tier but "Spider-Man gets defeated by a completely immobilized raccoon" is pretty amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mary Jane seemed so happy until she realized that Rocket was into it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The Space Racoon hates his gang's name :3:

He's not a Raccoon. Didn't you see what happened to Spidey?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really really want to see how Mary Jane Watson Parker would explain being in a car in the middle Nevada (that is where they are, right? Or was it New Mexico) with a space raccoon and Spider-Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Peter looks so goddamn haunted in that last panel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure which I love more, the manager deciding the bipedal spacesuit-wearing raccoon is a pet or Peter for thinking his best possible excuse is "it is a child in a space raccoon costume."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, who knew they allowed this kind of filth into newspapers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Peter Parker is somehow going to lose a fight to a dog raiding a garbage can.

• Locked thread