Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I legit thought Egghead is way too corny of a villain and that Lee/Larry invented him just for the comic strip.

But nope, he is an actual legit Ant-Man villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Android Blues posted:

Oh man, Hank aged? This truly is the best continuity.

And now looks like Michael Douglas.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

October 7, 2016

I see Hank Pym has gotten the Michael Douglas treatment.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just use the hammer?!

I'm legit surprised that newspapers still allow two characters to prominently smoke in a Sunday strip (Jameson and Robbie).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

FAT BATMAN posted:

"And wither thou goest!"

Where does he get this poo poo man?

I guess not every unfiltered quip can be a winner.

The strip and the language is stuck in the 1960s.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dexie posted:

I'm curious. Have any other Marvel/DC characters had a newspaper strip at any point?

Like, a newspaper Superman seems like an incredibly obvious thing to me.

Hulk had one also done by Lee/Lieber. Gerber also did one with Howard the Duck.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Peter say in the previous story that he didn't have a Driver's License? I could've sworn Scott had to drive because of that reason.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well that explains how they got so far.

How does a B rate actress and a freelance photographer for a print publication afford to live in loving Manhattan?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

At least Peter's shirt stayed the same color.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you expect newspaper spiderman to remember that?

Newspaper Spider-Man is pretty much if Spidey picked up from when Lee ended his original run + marriage and that's about it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Payndz posted:

I just noticed that the credit box features different artists (plural) for the weekend editions. God drat, those extra six tiny panels are so packed with detail they require a entire second art team!

Lee cuts out Lieber completely on the Sunday strips but it is widely speculated that Stan hasn't done anything with the strip since the 80s and the entire creative force is Lieber.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This is not Clown 9 tier but "Spider-Man gets defeated by a completely immobilized raccoon" is pretty amazing.

What is this Clown 9 story?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

The Cloud-9 talk in the last few pages made me wonder.

What are considered the "best" Newspaper Spider-Man arcs, and when do they occur?

I haven't yet had the time to go through the entire backlog (it's huge!), but I'd love to check out a few of the high points.

Pretty certain the comic strip has been running since the late 70s or early 80s, and there's only been a handful of collections. So a lot of this stuff is probably lost to time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I know Lieber is Stan Lee's brother or cousin or something like that. Anyone know who these Saviuki and Sinnott people are? Just random from the publisher to color the strip?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Syncopated posted:

It's nice at least that Peter and MJ are still married in newspaper-verse.

The newspaper strip is actually the entire reason they got married. By the time Stan got the idea to marry Peter and MJ together in the newspaper strip, MJ had already been mostly written out of the books. But then someone got the idea of doing the marriage in the strip, comic, and I think on TV in some special, simultaneously. So MJ was quickly re-introduced into the books and Harry and Liz set them on some incredibly awkward double date to get their romantic plot going.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Hugh Jackman was asked why Wolverine never wore his comic book costume in the movies (emphasis mine):

They actually featured the comic book suit in a deleted scene in The Wolverine. Admittedly it was in a briefcase given to him as a gift, and not him wearing it. But it is out there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So what does Rocket plan to do in this case to attack Ronan? Where are his guns? The one character that is practically defined by his guns and he like left them in the hotel room or something?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wait, why did Spidey purposely stick himself to Ronan? How was this a good plan? How would that get his helmet off?

I kind of hope Newspaper Spider-Man takes on the Juggernaut after this.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ronan will be crushed to learn that Peter was just faking it.

(im the smiley face petroglyph)

Panel 4: Is that a smiley face on that stone etching?

EDIT: Synth already caught it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Use him as an inhuman shield!

That's an edit, right? There's no way that is the real, legit comic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Perspective takes a holiday.

Wait...how did the water tower break open when Rocket only melted the legs?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's so pleased with herself. :3:

The gently caress is Spidey swinging on? It isn't like ABQ has a ton of skyscrapers.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

have you played the ps1 spider-man game

spidey has his own personal cloud that he swings from when necessary

I own it but never finished the game. Is it any good?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

This is legit the best comic Slott has ever written in his entire publishing career.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Apes-Ma posted:

I'm just dissapointed Groot hasn't shown up yet.

Well, he's kind of a tree.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

"And we don't have the firepower to stop it! But I'll continue to fire my gun at it because the panelist can't think of anything better for me to do!"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kind of sad the sentry isn't shrooming anymore.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

"The blaze with you all" is just a great line. I don't know why, but it is.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

He has refused any money for spider-man. They found him using spider-man artwork as cutting boards

I remember reading a piece on Ditko a while back that said a tenant next to his art studio got his mail once and she accidentally opened it, and it was a big rear end check from some movie studio. I don't exactly know how much rent is for art studios in NYC but I can't imagine they're cheap. He must be accepting some money from them because I don't believe his fringe work from the 90s is making a lot of bucks.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Pete had a really weird internal life during the Ditko years because Steve and Stan had totally different worldviews and Peter's somehow reflected both.

Which I guess isn't that strange for a college kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57vCBMqnC1Y

Also Jonah is pretty much a villain in early ASM.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Good on MJ, dont put up with his garbage talk.

So...where is Rocket going to fit into the ship?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

huh, so the nsm version of la is completely undeveloped aside from the sign. that's an odd twist.

And it is entirely green.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Has Punisher ever appeared in NSM?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RandallODim posted:

Christ, Pete really got hit with the weight of realizing he's still just a freelance photographer for the Bugle in that second panel there, huh?

Surprised a B-list actor and a freelance photographer (who is apparently still a college student? at least according to some of the Sunday intro panels?) can afford to live in loving Manhattan.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

graham cracker posted:

This looks like a job for Aunt Man!

I believe you mean Golden Oldie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It varies depending on universe. In some, she does, but not others. I'm not sure which one Newspaper-verse is.

Newspaper-verse seems very reminisicent of the Lee/Romita era with some of the modern Marvel characters thrown in. I doubt she knows.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Apparently in NSM-verse someone's scribbled signature is worthy of being a framed piece of artwork.

Also the back of Peter's head is facing a wall in panel 1, but in panel 2 he seems to have a window behind him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Who could it possibly be?!

This is an edit, right? There's no way that's possible the real NSM strip.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Are they going to drag out the villain reveal until Sunday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

People getting thunked with sticks is a long running NSM tradition.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread