Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I'm a non-management QA tech at a small meat factory. I do things like calibrate equipment, test temperature, pH, and water content of the meat, and check paperwork to make sure all those things are properly documented. The head maintenance guy at the place was talking about liability in case some of the meat poisoned someone and said in passing it's possible I could end up liable, as in get sued for it.

Is that true? Is there a way to find out?

e - I've never seen anyone cheat on a Critical Control Point (things like cooking the meat to specific temperatures and cooling it fast enough) and have never done so myself, but I might want to find another job if someone else dropping something or being otherwise careless could get me in serious trouble since the work is hard and the pay isn't amazing.

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That sounds like BS. The company would get sued. They might point a finger and fire some people, other than that I don't see how you'd be taking a hit.

Also if you had 5 years calibration experience and lived near Minneapolis I could hook you up with a job...

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Ocean Book posted:

I'm a non-management QA tech at a small meat factory. I do things like calibrate equipment, test temperature, pH, and water content of the meat, and check paperwork to make sure all those things are properly documented. The head maintenance guy at the place was talking about liability in case some of the meat poisoned someone and said in passing it's possible I could end up liable, as in get sued for it.

Is that true? Is there a way to find out?

e - I've never seen anyone cheat on a Critical Control Point (things like cooking the meat to specific temperatures and cooling it fast enough) and have never done so myself, but I might want to find another job if someone else dropping something or being otherwise careless could get me in serious trouble since the work is hard and the pay isn't amazing.

Yea I can't give legal advice but basically always follow your procedures, if you are in a compromising situation or have to make a judgement call and are uncomfortable, contact your manager or some higher authority and get their written concurrence. If you see something wrong, say something.

I would imagine a combination of all 3 above would be pretty CYA if for any reason the state tried to litigate cuz some old guy died from eating poison meat.

e: put another way, think about how many other people are QA tech in food and have no problem. Also your buddy sounds like one of those guys who likes having stories for all situations.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
You are probably covered by your employer provided you're not a gently caress up. Now, your job duties list is probably really arcane, out of date, and lists things you've never been told about and they could use it really easily to finger point and fire you but I wouldn't worry about being bus-chucked financially as long as they can't prove you're willingly screwing the pooch/meat.

Ghost edit: see above, if you seeing something say something. In writing, with a time stamp.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
It's not going to happen. Even if you intentionally adulterated the product and got caught you would 'just' be fired and sent to jail.

If you're doing your job, following procedures etc you aren't liable. The company gets sued, not the individual. Worst case scenario, you would get fired if you messed up and caused a problem.

To add to this -- under new(ish) regulations -- directors, presidents etc. can be held liable if something happens. This prevents a president from saying, "I didn't know what was going on" and absolving themselves of responsibility. Ignorance is not a defense for management when it comes to food safety.

Stryguy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 27, 2016

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
Not sure if OP is still around but, I've been working in QC/QA for 7 years and am pretty familiar with all aspects of quality in food, beverage, cosmetics, dietary supplements, and pharma.

If you gently caress up horribly and approve some lovely meat that was spoiled or something you might be fired.

Good quality systems are designed to be redundant so that if one person fucks up another person catches it. Because even good quality people gently caress up. If you don't have a good quality system that's quality management's fault and they'll get fired in the case there is a recall. Only if there is egregious systemic and intentional fraud against regs by the whole quality department will there be any criminal charges and most likely they will only be brought against quality leadership.

Chill. I've seen loads of people fired, sure, most of them deserved it for sucking, and it was for some monumental fuckups (injury from bad products, but not serious injury). I have yet to see someone go to jail although it can happen to someone with enough responsibility - and this would not be just quality, but plant managers, CEOs, etc. It would take the level of sneaking anthrax into the plant and dumping it into children's schoolmilk while you are on camera doing the whole thing to be charged with a crime as a quality tech/analyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If something happens the company will do an audit and if you were correctly following your procedures you'll be fine.

If you were grossly negligent in your duties and that's what caused it yeah you'll be fired but if you were doing your job to the best of your ability you'll be ok.

• Locked thread