Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
As opposed to Hillary who cannot recall what just came out of her mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If only Bernie had won the democrat primary we'd be well on our way to a nation where every post office has been renamed.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Clinton isn't as bad as Trump. She's a typical center-right conservative who will mostly stay the course on Obama's policies, continue to allow corporations and the ultra wealthy to dominate American politics, defend liberal policies on social issues, and start a war against some country most Americans can't pronounce or pick out on a map.

Trump's a loving shithead con man who can barely read and might start a war with China or Russia.

I thought the narrative was that he would sell out our allies to Russia

anyway it's pretty simple- very few voters vote based on foreign policy differences, and generally then on foreign policies that will affect domestic life in the US (or somewhere we have strong cultural affinities with), so the things that a foreigner will care about mostly don't matter to a US voter

and the voters are pretty restive, with most people wanting to see substantial political changes in the near future- Clinton fended off her populist insurgency in the primary because her family had a death grip on the party and she's good at inter party politics, but she's still a deeply flawed and uninspiring candidate who is the embodiment of an unsatisfactory status quo (but now with more hawkish foreign policy!). poo poo like a campaign telling you to Just Say No to Pepe is a natural consequence of a humorless centrist who has no control of the cultural zeitgeist.

On the flip side the Republicans selected an obvious charlatan, because nobody had actual control of their party and they've been running on cultural affiliation in lieu of policies that were popular with their base. So a bunch of terrible mainstream candidates got trounced by the guy willing to violate policy orthodoxy and political norms, as the first gave him appeal with normal voters the other candidates couldn't match and the latter let him appeal directly to the sorts of cranks and "deplorables" that are actually huge in a primary election.

So you've basically got a deathly boring and flawed conventional candidate vs. one who is entertaining but wildly inappropriate and unqualified. Even in a year as anti-establishment as this one that should (and likely will) go to the first candidate, but its a recipe for people checking out, and the second guy is going to get a fair number of votes based on cultural affinity/gently caress the world/naked self-interest/desire to advance the goals of the aligned party.

There's a bunch of stuff related to congressional dysfunction on both sides that ties into this, but if you really want to explain U.S. politics to a foreigner without going "they're all crazy!" it's not actually that hard.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

John Denver Hoxha posted:

As opposed to Hillary who cannot recall what just came out of her mouth

That's because she hasn't said anything that wasn't prepared for her by surrogates and speechwriters in like 3 decades.

That's why she's so good at all those sick self owns during the primary because she doesn't have a clue what her puppet master handlers have written for her over the years.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

excellent summary

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"That Trump is in bed with Russia!" *casts vote for woman who was head of the department of state when it approved the sale of 20% of america's uranium holdings to Russia*

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that coptic christian filmmaker that hillary et al. blamed for benghazi is broke, living in a homeless shelter, and says he doesnt believe in democracy or free speech anymore, lmao

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

"That Trump is in bed with Russia!" *casts vote for woman who was head of the department of state when it approved the sale of 20% of america's uranium holdings to Russia*

What? You're like a real Trump supporter? I thought you were doing an ironic thing.

Let me ask you a serious question: Throughout your life you have surely never done well in school. You've always been one of those people who struggled with basic math and writing skills and got poor grades no matter how hard you tried. Why do you think your opinions are valid now? Do you think you got smarter? Do you think government is one of those things that don't require intelligence? How exactly do you justify to yourself that you have an opinion on who would be a better president?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

"Trump loves the evil badman Putin! "...
"No, wait, trump hates Putin too much! "
"Trump wants to saber rattle against China and that's irresponsible and dangerous"...
"Oh wait, Obama just sent more ships to discourage aggression by those commies. Umm trump loves China so much he has his hats made there!"

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
White Supremacist Pepe is a real menace to mummies and womyns on all dimensions and universes and Hillary picks up on this so deal with it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Trump will start a war with China, which is bad.

Clinton will simply continue the Obama policy of influencing and indirectly encouraging SE Asian countries to resist China's claims on the South China Sea, which will result in an increased militarization in that area that Vietnam, Indonesia,etc cannot match, which will result in an increased US presence, which...welp I guess we are at war with China which I cannot call good or bad, because I am a nuanced American liberal who writes Vox articles.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

What? You're like a real Trump supporter? I thought you were doing an ironic thing.

Let me ask you a serious question: Throughout your life you have surely never done well in school. You've always been one of those people who struggled with basic math and writing skills and got poor grades no matter how hard you tried. Why do you think your opinions are valid now? Do you think you got smarter? Do you think government is one of those things that don't require intelligence? How exactly do you justify to yourself that you have an opinion on who would be a better president?

Are you literally 17?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

Are you literally 17?

answer the question.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

Bernie supporter

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This one only took 6 pages, I think that's a new record of some sort :munch:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

answer the question.

I did well in school, and have a bachelors degree. Now answer my question. Are you 17?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
lmao bernie supporters are like the autistic adults who can't understand why people like the apple cinnamon taste of apple jacks

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

NotWearingPants posted:

answer the question.

Bernie was a Clinton patsy from the beginning, you fell for it bro, he rolled over like a good little doggy

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
there are no apples in this!??!?!?!?!?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Bernie was a Clinton patsy from the beginning, you fell for it bro, he rolled over like a good little doggy

i dont know based on his posting he's 100x smarter than everyone else, are you sure he could fall for something so obvious?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Also, NotWearingPants, has always being the smartest person in the room, constantly filled with dull minded morons, been a struggle in your life or do you consider it a blessing?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

I did well in school, and have a bachelors degree. Now answer my question. Are you 17?

You are lying.

My reg date is 2006 and it would be unlikely that I paid :10bux: to join the SomethingAwful.com forums when I was 7 years old so I think you might be able to answer your own question now that someone has done the math for you.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

NotWearingPants posted:

you wouldn't happen to be the parent of any recently born children whom you've christened either Bernard or Bernice, would you?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

You are lying.

My reg date is 2006 and it would be unlikely that I paid :10bux: to join the SomethingAwful.com forums when I was 7 years old so I think you might be able to answer your own question now that someone has done the math for you.

Earlier in the thread people were asking who Republicans suddenly started winning the humor war.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Also, NotWearingPants, has always being the smartest person in the room, constantly filled with dull minded morons, been a struggle in your life or do you consider it a blessing?

I never said I was the smartest person in the room. I am not a borderline retard who actually unironically thinks Donald Trump would be a good president, but that doesn't necessarily make me smarter than the vast majority of the posters here.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

You are lying.

You got me. I'm actually posting from a trailer park half way through a case of natty lite.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
For fucks sake the dregs are floating up from CSPAM again

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

LGD posted:

poo poo like a campaign telling you to Just Say No to Pepe is a natural consequence of a humorless centrist who has no control of the cultural zeitgeist.
This was a good post overall, one of the interesting things on this front is I really do think the Democratic media thought the cultural zeitgeist would be at their backs a lot more than it actually has been. "The first woman president" is the kind of thing that, while of course being meaningful, doesn't really have the enthusiasm power that the Buzzfeed-type crew thought it would, and the target audience of younger women flocking to Bernie in the primary seemed to legitimately freak them out. The fact they also probably intended to use this in lieu of discussing Clinton's completely inconsistent policy history and various unsavory connections - I'm great to see people like Robert Kagan or Max Boot have suddenly become very concerned about Trump's temperament and are now #WithHer, and that Goldman Sachs is preventing baddonations, good for them! - made it a bit worse. And in a broader sense, the media doesn't seem to be subsisting on left-leaning outrage clicks the way it was in 2012-2015. If Clinton wins, Vox writers and people with Steven Universe avatars on Twitter will be convinced they defeated fascism by calling out @CuckSlayer1488's memes.

Trump doesn't know anything about (most) issues, seems to have a soft spot for authoritarianism to the extent he does, and seems mostly skilled in riling up crowds by yelling about illegals or w/e and working the media in the process. No one actually knows what a Trump presidency will look like, and I honestly think most of his base voters don't care and at heart just want to make a cultural point, but assuming the worst seems fair given his record. For this reason, Clinton is somehow still the better choice.

And regardless of who wins, it will empower the most annoying elements of that side.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"I absolutely don't believe that someone with an education can think differently from me." -a thing an adult says

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

The Landstander posted:

This was a good post overall, one of the interesting things on this front is I really do think the Democratic media thought the cultural zeitgeist would be at their backs a lot more than it actually has been. "The first woman president" is the kind of thing that, while of course being meaningful, doesn't really have the enthusiasm power that the Buzzfeed-type crew thought it would, and the target audience of younger women flocking to Bernie in the primary seemed to legitimately freak them out. The fact they also probably intended to use this in lieu of discussing Clinton's completely inconsistent policy history and various unsavory connections - I'm great to see people like Robert Kagan or Max Boot have suddenly become very concerned about Trump's temperament and are now #WithHer, and that Goldman Sachs is preventing baddonations, good for them! - made it a bit worse. And in a broader sense, the media doesn't seem to be subsisting on left-leaning outrage clicks the way it was in 2012-2015. If Clinton wins, Vox writers and people with Steven Universe avatars on Twitter will be convinced they defeated fascism by calling out @CuckSlayer1488's memes.

Trump doesn't know anything about (most) issues, seems to have a soft spot for authoritarianism to the extent he does, and seems mostly skilled in riling up crowds by yelling about illegals or w/e and working the media in the process. No one actually knows what a Trump presidency will look like, and I honestly think most of his base voters don't care and at heart just want to make a cultural point, but assuming the worst seems fair given his record. For this reason, Clinton is somehow still the better choice.

And regardless of who wins, it will empower the most annoying elements of that side.

What the gently caress is this effort choking out all the fun doing here

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

What the gently caress is this effort choking out all the fun doing here
I'm sorry it was one line at first and grew from there, I can post Pepes instead

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
loving d&d posters lmao holy poo poo that those are real people

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

"I absolutely don't believe that someone with an education can think differently from me." -a thing an adult says

"I don't understand the difference between intelligence and education. They are practically one of those things where words are different but mean the same thing." - a thing a Trump supporter might say

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

"I don't understand the difference between intelligence and education. They are practically one of those things where words are different but mean the same thing." - a thing a Trump supporter might say

You brought up my education, not me.

e: this is the sort of disingenuous shuckin' and jivin' that keeps me from posting in D&D.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

reallivedinosaur posted:

loving d&d posters lmao holy poo poo that those are real people

They're really pretty incredible.

Diversity rules! Now everyone get into your rigidly defined race and gender-based categories, and organize your grievances in order of descending oppression quotient so we can get to work here.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

For years, people begged Lowtax to bring back LF.

YCS has not even begun to reach the levels of total mental unwellness that peak LF managed, but already most of them are completely unwelcome on any other subforum.

Basically, history repeats itself.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

this thread is the worst hilldawg thread in gbs and that, just like the election itself, is an embarrassingly low bar

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

NotWearingPants posted:

As a hyper intelligent Bernie supporter, was Bernie a patsy from the beginning to generate a voter base for Clinton, or was he a spineless gently caress boi

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
holy poo poo is that guy ever smart

keep your eye on him

he's going places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

You brought up my education, not me.

e: this is the sort of disingenuous shuckin' and jivin' that keeps me from posting in D&D.

I'm sorry to have been the one to break the news to you that being an enthusiastic Trump supporter will label you as either a bigot or a complete moron in the eyes of the majority of the world's population that has seen the man speak for more than a few seconds. But it's better to know sooner rather than later.

• Locked thread